Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being trapped on a ship with 8000 People of Walmart is a horror movie, not a vacation...
View Quote
That's like Walmart, Disney World and Golden Corral rolled into one. No Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm amazed they don't roll over very easily.  I'd love to see a really good explanation of how they remain upright.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How the heck are these things not top heavy?
I'm amazed they don't roll over very easily.  I'd love to see a really good explanation of how they remain upright.
I’m not an expert, but they do draft a fairly sizable amount of waters.  The symphony draws almost 31 feet.

They have a fuckton of fuel and water onboard that are in the lowest parts of the ship to lower its CG.  They also have ballast tanks that can be filled or emptied, based on the conditions, etc.  All the supplies, like the food, drinks, etc. that aren’t at the bars or restaurants are kept very near to the waterline or below it.  The amount of both on a ship like this would shock you.  Lots of weight.

They also have a fairly awesome stabilizer system onboard.  I took a behind the scenes tour on the Serenade of the Seas last month.  From what I remember, the stabilizers are like big wings under water that stabilize and can be manipulated like ailerons to control the ship a bit.  They extend like 30 feet or something off both sides of the ship underwater when deployed.

When you combine all that, the ship can roll something like 30 degrees before she runs into trouble.  There isn’t much out there that is going to push a ship to 20 degrees, let alone 30.  They steer around hurricanes and large storms.

And while rogue waves do hit these ships every once in a while (the Norwegian Dawn got clobbered by one in 2005), they don’t sink ships like in the Poseidon Adventure.

It would take something colossal or colossal negligence to roll one over
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
They put rocks and cannon balls in the bottom down near where the slaves sit to row the boat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Look at that thing.

228,000 tonnes is twice the size of a Nimitz supercarrier.
View Quote
Yeah, people bitching about crowds have no clue.

Its probably more roomy than the first one I was on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You take a minimum 7 day cruise, but preferably 10 day or 14 if it's available.  The longer the cruise, the more expensive it is, and the fewer trashy people will be on it.  Stay away from the 3 day cruises like the plague.

It's the same reason that the nicest and most expensive ski resorts have the most polite guests.  The trash is priced out.
View Quote
x2.

3 days are all the people of walmart types.  They don't have money for a 7 day cruise.

Quoted:
I went on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean aboard the Oasis of the Seas. There were 6500 passengers aboard and even during days at sea I felt like I never saw more than 25-50 in one place at a time.

These ships are so big, and there is so much to do at so many locations on board that I hardly saw anybody.

The only place that was busy was the main dining room at dinner time.

I would recommend a cruise to everyone.
View Quote
Hear hear.

Was on the same boat on a western caribbean cruise . . . the only time you saw a bunch of people was at labadee.  Otherwise the "giant crowds" are 100-200 people at dinner and/or at a full show (some weren't full at all)
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cesspool of flu and germs.  No guns.  You can't drive away when you want.  Not for me.
View Quote
Bullshit.

I shot skeet on my first cruse.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]
That is impressive
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look at that thing.

228,000 tonnes is twice the size of a Nimitz supercarrier.
View Quote
It has about the same displacement (loaded weight) as a Nimitz class carrier, ~100,000 tons.

Article writer didn’t bother to look up what gross tonnage meant and incorrectly states that as the weight. The 228k gross tonnage is the measurement of volume of the ship’s internal structures, which despite the name has nothing to do with weight.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Honestly, I'd prefer a voyage on Titanic (aside from the sinking part).  No TV, no WiFi, nothing but authentic non-amplified music, etc.

People dressing well, no kids running around like lunatics, no pool deck with a bunch of yelling and screaming and ugly people flopping their shit out everywhere.

I'd kill for the main activities to be enjoying the world float by, engaging in intelligent conversation, enjoying a brandy and playing some cards in the smoking room, etc.

Life has gotten to be too complicated.  I want an actual, back to basics but luxurious retreat.  The last thing I want to do is jump on a noisy cruise ship with 8000 other adults and kids who are obnoxious, have no sense of decorum, etc. and who can't drop the TV, WiFi, music, or whatever for a few days.  I enjoy some of the smaller ships, but these new enormous ones just sound like a nightmare.
View Quote
You do realize that 2/3 of the people on the Titanic were in steerage, correct?

It was hot, (Boilers) it stank (Poor people stank)The food was the same every day, when you even got it, had to wait in line to shit and there were no showers.

so be careful what you wish for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No thank you!
View Quote
Yea that's because you have your own cruise ship.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise last year on one of those mega ships. Far too many people for me, 6500 gusts and 2500 crew. You could literally not get away from people. I will never cruise again on one of the mega ships.....NO THANKS
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
According to a documentary I saw a few years ago on the Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas (I think thats the name)  They Construct the hull from steel and everythng else from Aluminum.  They explained this was necessary to keep the vessel from tipping over.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I went on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean aboard the Oasis of the Seas. There were 6500 passengers aboard and even during days at sea I felt like I never saw more than 25-50 in one place at a time.

These ships are so big, and there is so much to do at so many locations on board that I hardly saw anybody.

The only place that was busy was the main dining room at dinner time.

I would recommend a cruise to everyone.
View Quote
The shows are always packed. So much so that its hard to get a drink.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It was hot, (Boilers) it stank (Poor people stank)The food was the same every day, when you even got it, had to wait in line to shit and there were no showers.

View Quote
Titanic first class dinner recreated.

Titanic's First Class Dinner- First Class Dining on RMS Titanic
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No, it does not; that number represents it "gross tonnage" and not its displacement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That ship weighs 228,000 metric tons?

https://i.imgur.com/NqjyCOJ.gif
No, it does not; that number represents it "gross tonnage" and not its displacement.
That's why I made the comment.  I'm in the business, and was being sarcastic about how most writers don't understand the meanings behind GT, NT, DWT, full load displacement, or light displacement.

What's crazy to think about is the Seawise Giant had a GT of not too much more than this ship, yet her actual full load displacement was around 6 times as much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Mobile prison. No thanks to a cruise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Being trapped on a ship with 8000 People of Walmart is a horror movie, not a vacation...
View Quote
Find the Simpsons episode where they go on a cruise and then Bart fakes a worldwide pandemic so the vacation doesn't have to end.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No thank you!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
8,000 people. No thanks.

I want to take a cruise to relax. Not deal with hordes of people.
View Quote
x87k
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#22]
One engine compartment fire away from lord of the flies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just got thing in the mail the other day from National Geographic cruises. Now those look cool. There's one where you're on an icebreaker cruise with I think 250 passengers or so.
View Quote
A lot of people dont know it, but you can take a cruse on container ships for cheap.

On those, while the amenities seem fine, you dont go for the boat, but rather to travel to the different countries it stops in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This.

I've been on the Allure twice on Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries. Never felt cramped or had to wait in huge lines. Kids were tolerable.

The trans-Atlantic on Symphony will be even better as there will be very few kids.

Norwegian Epic on the other hand....
View Quote
Kids.

I shit you not, the last cruse we went on some family with a really shitty little runt of about 8 just could not walk down a passageway like human beings.......until I simply refused to walk single file past them again and elbowed the little shit in the head.

The rest of the cruse the father walked in front with two of the kids and mom brought the little wayward retard toddling behind.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I mean, I’d want to be first class obviously.  It was the middle of April in the North Atlantic; it wasn’t hot.  It may have been hot in the boiler rooms, but not in first class.  Poor people could stink...just leave them below deck.  The menu in first class rotated every day.  Staterooms also had toilets, iirc.

I’ll clarify and say I wouldn’t want to travel steerage.  Fuck that.  First class or bust.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nope.

Carriers are measured by their displacement tonnage which coincides with the weight of the water actually displaced by the ship while afloat.

In order to overstate their comparison to other massive vessels,  cruise ships are described by means of their "gross tonnage" which isn't a measurement of the ship's weight, but is actually a measure of it's interior volume as calculated by a formula.

My guess is that the displacement tonnage of the Oasis Class cruise ships is between 90,000 and 110,000 tons, or roughly the same as a Nimitz.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#27]
So in about 20 minutes you can see the whole ship.  then what?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#28]
God that boat is ugly.

I've never understood the appeal of cruises like that, I'd rather just fly to wherever the ships go and hang out there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess that even with all the 'attractions' onboard that rascal...my idea of rest and relaxation does not include being within 1,200' proximity to 8,000 people.

Pass.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

x2.

3 days are all the people of walmart types.  They don't have money for a 7 day cruise.

Hear hear.

Was on the same boat on a western caribbean cruise . . . the only time you saw a bunch of people was at labadee.  Otherwise the "giant crowds" are 100-200 people at dinner and/or at a full show (some weren't full at all)
View Quote
In the 90s I was on Labadee (Hey, Ive been to Haiti!) when there was only one permanent building, the bar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I mean, I'd want to be first class obviously.  It was the middle of April in the North Atlantic; it wasn't hot.  It may have been hot in the boiler rooms, but not in first class.  Poor people could stink...just leave them below deck.  The menu in first class rotated every day.  Staterooms also had toilets, iirc.

I'll clarify and say I wouldn't want to travel steerage.  Fuck that.  First class or bust.
View Quote
Yeah, I was only referring to steerage.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I go on vacation to get away from people.
View Quote
Exactly!! I don't get this shit at all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#33]
8000 turd cutters crying out in unison as the diarrhea hits on day three after the Noro virus and under cooked oysters/chicken at the scarf & barf buffet strike.

No thanks I am good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've heard these things are so big you never get to see the entire ship during a cruise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've heard these things are so big you never get to see the entire ship during a cruise.
View Quote
Maybe he meant riding around it on a scooter from the outside. But I doubt it...
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#36]
That is a BIG boat !
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I've cruised on the Harmony of The Seas.  Ask Me Anything.

Quick FAQ

-Didn't feel crowded to me
-Food and service were both excellent
-Eastern Carribean
-NOT full of Walmart People. In fact, the demand for these ships is so high that discounted rates are becoming extinct.
-Spent about 11K total with air and excursions for family of 5 (2 cabins)

Witnessed a rare emergency evac.  CG blackhawk type chopper dropped a basket to take off a man who'd had a stroke.  I dont think he made it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kids.

I shit you not, the last cruse we went on some family with a really shitty little runt of about 8 just could not walk down a passageway like human beings.......until I simply refused to walk single file past them again and elbowed the little shit in the head.

The rest of the cruse the father walked in front with two of the kids and mom brought the little wayward retard toddling behind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I've been on the Allure twice on Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries. Never felt cramped or had to wait in huge lines. Kids were tolerable.

The trans-Atlantic on Symphony will be even better as there will be very few kids.

Norwegian Epic on the other hand....
Kids.

Yeah, I can't wait to see what Virgin Cruise Lines is going to be like. No one under 18 allowed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've been on the sister ship for a total of 14 days and still haven't seen everything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
8,000 people. No thanks.

I want to take a cruise to relax. Not deal with hordes of people.
View Quote
Not to mention there are not enough life boats...again...
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
18 life boats are enough for 8,000 people?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm sure those ships are fine, but I'd rather take a Cunard trans-Atlantic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
18 life boats are enough for 8,000 people?
View All Quotes
Each life boat has a capacity of 370. Plus all the barrel looking things contain inflatable life rafts for crew.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#45]
God that looks nasty.

So very cheap looking and low rent, like a Chuck E Cheese of the sea.

Who's up for a bout of Norovirus?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Robot bartenders are pretty neat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Figure if something happens like a power failure and 25% go feral that's 2000 animals loose. More than I'd want to be stuck out at sea with. I might take one of those river cruises in Europe, smaller numbers and you aren't that far from shore if it does get too vibrant.
View Quote
I don't do cruise ships. But those European river cruises are the ones that the wife and I have discussed doing. So scenic. And yeah... being able to swim for shore if need be has a certain allure to it as well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#48]
These are no longer ships. They are resorts that just coincidentally happen to float. Not enough draft, top heavy, too much glass. Underwater they are shaped more like a giant barge than an Ocean Liner.

And the ports aren't any bigger. Nassau isn't any bigger, St. Thomas is still the same size and now instead of 2,000 people getting off the ship flooding the town you have 8,000! No thanks, I'll look for a smaller ship if I go cruising. The last one I was on was the Disney Magic about 18 years ago and at least it was actually seaworthy.

Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lots of really heavy shit in the bottom.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've often thought the same thing.

There HAS to be metric shit tons of ballast along the keel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've often thought the same thing.

There HAS to be metric shit tons of ballast along the keel.
It doesn't work that way. There is no ballast on a cruise ship.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top