Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2022 12:58:25 AM EDT

This one passed within a few miles of my former home in North Texas.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#1]
College Park MD September 24, 2001.  They say the car with the sisters was thrown over the dorm.

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Mom and Dad lived and grew up in Kansas/Missouri, never dealt with a tornado up close. 7 years after moving to California, they had one come right down their block!
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
There was a tornado in Suffolk, VA a few years ago. We drove by the area it hit. There was a huge Suburban was embedded in the second floor of a hospital. The tornado had picked it up and rammed it into the hospital building. Incredible power they have.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
My father in law was a state trooper for years. On the wall in his shop hangs a mangled Colt M16 that looks like you wound it around a tree in a spiral pattern. It was recovered during some post-tornado cleanup he was a part of.

Crazy seeing a piece of steel twisted around like a corkscrew.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 4:13:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no personal story but my uncles house in Ohio completely disappeared right down to the slab.
They just made it into the basement and shut the door when it hit.
His bulldozer got pushed through the dirt about 200 yards.
The garage/shop 40 feet away had one broken window.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Kid growing up in Texas, had one pass by the house 1/4-1/2 mile away.  We were in the house, all the doors and windows open as per current best practices at the time.  All I remember is seeing the linoleum in the kitchen/dining room sucking up off the floor and waving around about 2 ft. off the floor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Long ago my girlfriend and I were at a drive in theatre at dusk and a tornado swept across in front of us. We ran into the concession building for shelter, probably better than being in the car if it were to turn our way.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#9]
We had our house and a good chunk of our property destroyed by a tornado in 2017 while living in TN. Would not recommend.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Many moons ago I was on vacation in the Outer Banks with a friend and his family.  Well, a hurricane hit the gulf coast and reformed into a hurricane over NC.  We had gone to the Wright Brother's memorial for something to do while it was raining and windy and observed a tornado near the little airfield that sits next to the memorial.  Later that day observed several water spouts out in the ocean.

Been around a lot of tornado reports in the mid west while working at various locations but never actually saw a real deal tear stuff up tornado.  Been in tornado shelters a lot and have some great weather pictures but thankfully I've never been "in" one.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5OqgeB7bvo
This one passed within a few miles of my former home in North Texas.
View Quote

A former coworker of mine was close to that one as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We had our house and a good chunk of our property destroyed by a tornado in 2017 while living in TN. Would not recommend.
View Quote

That sucks badly.  Were you home when that happened?

One of my coworkers lives in southern IL.  In 2003 he was working with me out of state and his oldest son just happened to go by to check on mom and the weather reports were not good.  He convinced his mom, my coworker's wife, to leave with him and stay at his place for the evening.  Maybe an hour or so later a tornado destroyed their house.  My coworker had told me how much of a PITA it was dealing with the insurance company after that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That sucks badly.  Were you home when that happened?

One of my coworkers lives in southern IL.  In 2003 he was working with me out of state and his oldest son just happened to go by to check on mom and the weather reports were not good.  He convinced his mom, my coworker's wife, to leave with him and stay at his place for the evening.  Maybe an hour or so later a tornado destroyed their house.  My coworker had told me how much of a PITA it was dealing with the insurance company after that.
View Quote

Thank you for commiserating. They were 100% correct about the pita dealing with the insurance company after a major loss. Took us almost 3 years to finally square up. We were at home at the time and by the grace of God it literally took a right turn in our driveway took half the house with it and spared us and the dogs. God is good. Not a scratch and 50 feet away our grand piano was tossed around like a child’s toy. I found full cans of paint a quarter mile away cleaning up. It sounded like a weird combo of a freight train passing by and that weird pressure vibration you feel when the windows are down in the truck just right.

ETA:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
3 close calls.

As a young child, tornado went through my town in Illinois and wiped-out sections of my neighborhood. Killed 33 in my vicinity. We were fine. Dad got injured working as a firefighter after the tornado.

Tornado went over my house in WI.  Damaged and destroyed a few homes.  Killed one guy.  I will include some pictures.  I took some friends flying 2 days after the tornado.  I also have a picture taken by a friend.  My house is 250-300 yards from the water tower.

Tornado went through my neighborhood in WI. Same neighborhood as previous tornado.  I was mulching in the backyard.  Winds picked up.  We went inside. Heard some noise. Came out.  A large oak exploded all over my yard right where I was mulching 10 minutes earlier. Some siding and roofing from neighboring homes was in my yard.  The rack, wheelbarrow, and the pile of mulch was not phased.  I left my baseball hat on the hood of my SUV.  It was 30 feet from the tree. It did not blow off. Tornados are scary and my last house had more than it's share of close calls in a relatively short period of time.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I watched the one in Grapevine Tx on Tuesday morning pass by my jobsite. About a 1/4 mile away.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Does having one traverse your back yard, after killing your neighbor across the tracks from you, deviating slightly when it hit the tracks to take it off a vector to hit your house directly, before continuing on to wipe out 3 members of a 4 person family about 1/8 mile behind you count?

Because if it does, yeah, I've been close to one. Like 20-30 yards close to one.

Killed my garage, totaled both my car and the wife's minivan and shifted the house on the foundation to the point where I could stick my arm out the rear corner of the basement and shake your hand, if I wanted to.

I give it zero stars. Would recommend avoiding.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I watched the one in Grapevine Tx on Tuesday morning pass by my jobsite. About a 1/4 mile away.
View Quote

No pictures?
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I was at a buddy's house in Joplin for the one in 2011. It wrecked half their house. Fortunately they have a tornado shelter in the basement.  That's the closest I've been to one. I've had a couple pass within a couple miles of my house, but thankfully not be close enough to damage my place.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]

I grew up in Iowa. I’ve seen several tornadoes from fairly close. This pic was out our dining room window. I’ve sat on the porch and watched a big one pass 3/4 of a mile away.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
College Park MD September 24, 2001.  They say the car with the sisters was thrown over the dorm.

View Quote

@ctfish15

This is me on one of the felled trees from that:

Root ball was probably 12ft high. This was on the trail in the woods that bordered the FDA property.

There was a literal path of destruction in the woods. You could see exactly how that tornado traveled by the trees that were down.

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Had an EF1 bounce over our house this spring. We had been watching the news and knew one was coming, Everyone says hearing a tornado is like a train so I walked outside to see if I could hear it. It was just heavy rain and wind noise up until it wasn’t. All of a sudden, it was there and it sounded like a train. Wildest thing I’ve been through. Can’t imagine a 3 or 4.

I’d always thought it would be cool to ride out a tornado. I don’t think that anymore.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Placeholder for later.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Coworkers family basically lost their house in Washington, IL a few years back to one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Naders suck...I was about 200 yards away from the main track but took out the tree in my front yard and my neighbors tree.  Mine landed on my truck and my neighbors landed on my shed with my tractor inside....  We did have the tallest trees in the area but the main track of the tornado, those people got fubar.....cars pushed down the street and flipped over....even cars that were not moved all the windows were gone.  Some houses were leveled, others only missing a few shingles.

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Indirect experience.  Oldest son went with a church group to Joplin in July 2011. He met someone while he was there.  Married in 2012.  Has a terrific wife, wonderful kids and his own successful business. While the tornado in Joplin was horrific, there were some positive events from it.

On their honeymoon in Branson there was a tornado less than a mile from where they were staying.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Best friends live in one of the townhouse units just down from the demolished one. They were home when the tornado came through.

Each building has 4 units. The destroyed one was occupied in 3 of the 4. Amazingly, no one was killed in the collapse and only on-scene medical treatment was necessary.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Experienced the long-track tornado in KY last year.  Strong EF-4. Seen it all.  All the usuals.  Items deposited 100’s of miles from their origin.  Cars crushed to the point they are unidentifiable. Plastic driven into hard wood.  Plastic driven into sheet metal.  Things destroyed that were far away from path and things untouched feet from path.  Saw dead deer that were beaten to death.  Know countless people with PTSD from it.

It was tornado #5 for me.

#1 sit down on a neighbors house and his house alone.  Left all neighboring structures alone. Some within 200 yards including 2-story house across road with grain bins, barns, etc

#2 was the Bowling Green tornado of the late 90’s. 1998 I think. Truly saw horizontal rain and......basketball/volleyball sized hail.  That goes straight thru ANY roof and car sheet metal.  Flooded everything but lots of caves so witnessed some large whirlpools out in open areas. Hour later water is all gone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Late '80s/ early '90's I was fishing with my dad and one of my friends on the lake.  Weather turned fast.  Then we saw a waterspout on the lake.  Got the fuck out of there asap.  Waves were huge.  The boat was sitting on the trailer at about a 30 degree list to one side because we loaded it up so fast and the wind and waves were crazy.  we got the fuck out of dodge without even strapping the boat down lol.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:11:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Small one back in july of this year. It died and reformed over a 30 mile distance, my house had hail damage and a lot of trees down. 30 miles away it did more damage, but nothing like any of the pics above.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#32]
German pilot taxiing beside where I was EOR-ing some F-16s at a Red Flag got slow in a turn and pushed the throttles a bit much with his nozzles pointed directly at me.  That was a little dicey.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:17:47 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife daughter and I about 10 years ago had one wreck our house with us in it.
I've told the story too many times to tell again here but my house wreckage is on you tube video" Nina dr number 2 "if you want to see it.
I don't know how to post pictures or links,sorry.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:20:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Experienced the long-track tornado in KY last year.  Strong EF-4. Seen it all.  All the usuals.  Items deposited 100’s of miles from their origin.  Cars crushed to the point they are unidentifiable. Plastic driven into hard wood.  Plastic driven into sheet metal.  Things destroyed that were far away from path and things untouched feet from path.  Saw dead deer that were beaten to death.  Know countless people with PTSD from it.

It was tornado #5 for me.

#1 sit down on a neighbors house and his house alone.  Left all neighboring structures alone. Some within 200 yards including 2-story house across road with grain bins, barns, etc

#2 was the Bowling Green tornado of the late 90’s. 1998 I think. Truly saw horizontal rain and......basketball/volleyball sized hail.  That goes straight thru ANY roof and car sheet metal.  Flooded everything but lots of caves so witnessed some large whirlpools out in open areas. Hour later water is all gone.
View Quote

I attended an event at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, after that tornado, in May 1998. Was amazed at the hail damage I saw. Thankfully, the Corvette Museum was pretty much untouched.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#35]
2019 Dayton Ohio Memorial Day EF4 ran right over my house with me in it. Most of the houses on our side of the street were destroyed, ours got close to $30,000 in damages.

Started a thread about it a few minutes after the debris stopped falling.
Screen cap of tornado path from National Weather service.
Red dot is my house. Yellow dot is Hara Arena.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does having one traverse your back yard, after killing your neighbor across the tracks from you, deviating slightly when it hit the tracks to take it off a vector to hit your house directly, before continuing on to wipe out 3 members of a 4 person family about 1/8 mile behind you count?

Because if it does, yeah, I've been close to one. Like 20-30 yards close to one.

Killed my garage, totaled both my car and the wife's minivan and shifted the house on the foundation to the point where I could stick my arm out the rear corner of the basement and shake your hand, if I wanted to.

I give it zero stars. Would recommend avoiding.
View Quote

@tep0583

I'm pretty sure I know which tornado you are referring to, if I am correct then you and I are almost neighbors.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:58:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Living in north Texas all my life, I’ve been near them but never seen one or been directly affected.

My wife grew up in Temple, TX. The big Jarrell one went right over her elementary school during class.  Did some damage to the factory her family owned before touching back down in Jarrell.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 2:22:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I think my count is 12 now. Best were the Camp Perry 98 nader, and 2011 here in Topeka. 2011 the top of my maple got ripped off and shoved through my roof and was sticking into my boys bedroom. Crazy thing is our house and one two streets over were the only ones with direct damage. Everyone else just got shingles ripped off and some limbs broken. House two streets over was a vacant rental. Now the real crazy thing is this happened on a Friday. I had scheduled a few months earlier to have my roof replaced. They were due the next Wed to start work. Allstate came out and surveyed the hail and nader damage and paid for the roof minus my deductible. There were so many homes damaged and missing roofing that things were backed up 3 to 4 months and I got my roof the following week after the storm.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I had one go over my house in New Mexico a few years ago. Busted some skylights, was all the damage. Scared hell out of all the cats, and I got hit by a couple of big hailstones.
Got a new roof out of it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#40]
This is the most insane footage I’ve ever seen.
The Most Insane Tornado Video Compilation of All Time (Drone & Ground Footage, Andover, KS)
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
2019 Dayton Ohio Memorial Day EF4 ran right over my house with me in it. Most of the houses on our side of the street were destroyed, ours got close to $30,000 in damages.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77917/Screenshot_20190904-133006_Gallery_jpg-2638061.JPG
View Quote

I live 2 miles west of where the miles of destruction started.
Driving down county roads it looked like WW3, not only buildings destroyed but every tree, electric pole, everything for miles.
A lot of the woods in the area won't recover in my lifetime.
My son and I sat in the basement watching the news on TV, the newscasters were freaking out. It sounds bad to say but it was actually funny to watch them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mom and Dad lived and grew up in Kansas/Missouri, never dealt with a tornado up close. 7 years after moving to California, they had one come right down their block!
View Quote

Only takes one. Just like Hurricanes.  
This past week set a record for warnings and watches in December according to the Weather Channel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Driving down county roads it looked like WW3, not only buildings destroyed but every tree, electric pole, everything for miles.
My son and I sat in the basement watching the news on TV, the newscasters were freaking out. It sounds bad to say but it was actually funny to watch them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77917/Screenshot_20190904-133006_Gallery_jpg-2638061.JPG

Funny how perspective changes how something comes across.

We were watching the same the same broadcast apparently (channel 7?). Having lived through decades of lots of watches and warnings, I'd pretty much stopped paying much attention to them. After all, they never actually got anywhere near us.

The way the weather lady was freaking out kind of gave me the feeling that this might be different than all those other times.

Even hiding out in the small interior half bath listening to updates on my phone, I was all like "It's not going to hit us. They never actually hit us."

All the way up until the roar started building, and the debris started hitting and the whole house started rocking, then it changed to "Oh shit! It's hitting us!".
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#44]
When we lived on the coast and did a lot of offshore fishing I’ve see a bunch of waterspouts. A few times there was multiple. Since we have moved we heard about the April 2011 outbreak especially from co workers who were effected. Definitely not something i want to be apart of. You can go to the local state park where one ripped through and can still see the path it took. Kind of incredible to see the power of Mother Nature.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I helped replace some roofs after a tornado went through Raleigh NC in the late 80’s. I say a sign, like a yield sign, stuck several inches in a tree like a saw blade.

A few years back one jumped over our house. We were watching WRAL news when they issued the warning and it’s location. I was looking out the window, saw the sky turn dark, the wind pick up, and hail start to fall. I turned to my wife and gave instructions to sit in the hall with our dog. I sat beside her, still able to see the tv, and heard the weather man say: “let’s look at some pictures of the damage in Raleigh”. My wife said “what about us, wral!” Every other tornado they reported on that day, they followed fully.

Moments later the sky cleared and we started hearing reports that it jumped over us and touched down a little up the road, tore up a house, jumped again and touched in town and did significant damage to several businesses.

That’s as close as we’ve ever been to one and we haven’t watched wral weather since.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Had a small one hit our home when we lived in rural Kansas.  

Lost part of the roof and had a lot of interior water damage.  

It was a long night.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I was coming home from seeing a movie with a friend. The weather was looking really bad. I was sitting at a stop light and I noticed the sky didn't look right and it felt odd out. It was getting worse fast. When the light turned green I turned to go under an overpass. I decided to pull up on the sidewalk (I have a 4X4) and see what was what. I had an interest in severe weather prior to this and had read a number of books on the subject. It really did help me see what was happening.

It started hailing, people were driving by me out into the hail until it got bad. Then all the sudden you couldn't have fit a toothpick under that overpass. Then the tornado came. It wasn't a bad one, but it was freaky being under the overpass when it went directly over us.

My friend called me and said there is a tornado in your area. I said, "I know, I'm sitting in it right now."

There were trees, signs and traffic lights down. You don't realize how big those lights are until you see them on the ground.

ETA I came home and told hubby. He drove through the area the next day and he was surprised at the level of damage there was. Three cheers for hiding under the overpass!
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#49]
I've only seen 2 tornadoes, and one of them I chase back in 2020.

Caught the tail end of a tornado-warned rain-wrapped storm that passed near Ogden, IA. These were taken northwest of Boone. Check out the 'tendrils' eminating from the storm in the second pic.

It got pretty windy after these pics and I was in the path of whatever was in that rain, so I skedaddled away. Tons of other storm chasers started showing up as well.

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#50]
As a kid in Texas we had what we think was a tornado drop down in an open field in front of our house and twist a big old oak tree in half. Not a single thing nearby was damaged. It was as if the funnel dropped straight down out of the sky right on top of the tree. It twisted the tree until the trunk sheared off at the base of the roots and then popped straight back up into the clouds. Very freaky.

When hurricane Florence was bearing down on Wilmington NC as a cat 5, we evacuated my wife's elderly parents away from the coast. The storm petered out before landfall. As it passed over our area, it spawned an EF-1 tornado that did something similar to our property like what happened in Texas. Driving home we were relieved to see very minor damage in our neighborhood. Until we got home.

The funnel cloud dropped on the corner of our lot and topped a big pine tree. It traversed diagonally across the property, destroying about a dozen pines and poplar trees, one of which ended up on the house. The funnel went back up as it left our property. Again, there was no damage to any trees or houses around us whatsoever. Apparently this one hopped around as it went through the area and our little acre was one of it's drops. Lucky us...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top