Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More nightmare material

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS_aMAlAaeU

View Quote

JFC NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I have no idea why I started watching that. NO!  

I have both a strong fear of drowning (made me a good Marine....fuck going back in the water, CHARGE!) and a strong fear of being trapped in some kind of underground lair. The two combined is just too much. I'd rather try my luck with a 100 machine gun nests!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I've spent a lot of time in bore holes doing geologic exploration.  Anywhere from 15 to 150 feet in depth.  Typically, these explorations in hillside areas are on the order of 50 to 80 feet.  Looking for landslides, structure (bedding, fracture, and shear plane orientations) and rock types.  The holes are typically 36-inch diameter.

Entertaining and dirty work.  Never had a claustrophobic moment.  A few scary moments with bad air and caving, but safety measures are always in place and adhered to.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Toured the moaning caverns twice as a twenty-something year old and overcame claustrophobia.
Looking back twenty years later, there is no way I would attempt to do it now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Fuck an MRI.
View Quote
Me too!

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:13:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuck an MRI.
View Quote

This

When I was young we used to whip in and out of this cave in NE Arkansas. Lost Valley. Never once did that bother me, in my late 20's even...and we're talking bats on the ceiling just 3 inches away

Had a minor freak-the-fuck out about three years ago when I got shoved in the tube for an MRI on my shoulder. I'll have the Valium or Xanax or whatever the hell they give you when they do my knee in a week or two. I don't know how in the blue fuck they get large people in one of those things. I'm 5'11" and about two and a quarter. I'm not a fat body and have pretty good size shoulders. I'm tellin' ya, I was wall to wall up in that son of a gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]

That makes me sick seeing the picture fuck no!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've spent a lot of time in bore holes doing geologic exploration.  Anywhere from 15 to 150 feet in depth.  Typically, these explorations in hillside areas are on the order of 50 to 80 feet.  Looking for landslides, structure (bedding, fracture, and shear plane orientations) and rock types.  The holes are typically 36-inch diameter.

Entertaining and dirty work.  Never had a claustrophobic moment.  A few scary moments with bad air and caving, but safety measures are always in place and adhered to.

http://i.imgur.com/vAJpmYyl.jpg
View Quote

SO let me clear, you ride down 150 feet in that thing you are standing in?

I assume you make a million dollars a month and get to commit any crime you want in your town correct?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Just popped in to say NOPE!

And I'm out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Tight spots in subs.
Best is seeing someone get all soaped up to get him out because he ate a big ol meatball grinder then crawled back in the hole.
Funny how the body blew up after lunch.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I enjoy cave diving, but I figure if the space is too small for me plus my back-mounted tanks, then I don't need to be there.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

I have seen this video before... we do confined space drills and mazes... but this would be too much... I remember reading this was from Texas... so you not only get the tight spaces... but heat as well....
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
One summer I had a job at a paper mill.  They shutdown to do a major maintenance.  Since I was the college boy, I was told to clean out the water softener.  It was 3 stories high and I got to crawl through tubes that I could barely squeeze through with a lamp and a small jackhammer to clean away mineral deposits.  I spent a week doing that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I like caves but not the little tiny spaces. I can't even seem to watch many of these videos without some odd sense of being trapped.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Not for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#18]
There was a pretty cool story linked on arfcom a few years back, it had several parts to it. Some guy going deeper and deeper into a cave. Fun read, but even reading it caused claustrophia, lol.
Ah, found it. http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/page1.html

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't like confined spaces.

And being a sober Injun, I won't work high steel either.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Then how do you guys feel about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg

ETA: NOT A FUCKING CHANCE IN HELL I WOULD DO THIS, AND I LOVE TO DIVE!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then how do you guys feel about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtlwoX1YEmg

ETA: NOT A FUCKING CHANCE IN HELL I WOULD DO THIS, AND I LOVE TO DIVE!!!!
I'm full cave certified, and there is no way I would to that......

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I assume you make a million dollars a month and get to commit any crime you want in your town correct?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/vAJpmYyl.jpg

Sure......you can assume that if you want (without the crime), if it makes you more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

For some reason that one makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.

How would he get out though, seems like that would be even tougher than getting in there in the first place.

On the positive side I doubt many zombies would be able to follow him.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I enjoy cave diving, but I figure if the space is too small for me plus my back-mounted tanks, then I don't need to be there.
View Quote

I actually got into diving to get into cave diving, but I haven't done it yet. I've been in a few caves and did the somewhat ill-advised "hold your breath and swim underwater to the next room" stuff.

The biggest takeaway from some of the cave diving classes I've attended: "When cave diving, how long do you have to solve a problem?" "The rest of your life."
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I have no problems in confined spaces.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Went spelunking in some caverns in TN.
Belly crawling and my headlamp went out.

Complete darkness.

It was only a few minutes before someone else came,

but it was still pretty freaky.

Another layer to that is if the caverns were flooded with water.

That's what folks who go cave diving do.

Not a chance. No thank you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Went spelunking in some caverns in TN.Belly crawling and my headlamp went out.
Complete darkness.

It was only a few minutes before someone else came,
but it was still pretty freaky.

Another layer to that is if the caverns were flooded with water.
That's what folks who go cave diving do.
Not a chance. No thank you.
View Quote

Nice to see that term used correctly
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#27]
confined spaced rescue tech

no issues at all.. other than my big ass generally not fitting into where normal sized men can fit in..  

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
ConSpace rescue geek here.
View Quote

Same here. The only thing that bothers me is my freaking haul line, belay line, supplied air line and bag of equipment getting all twisted together when crawling around.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never ever been claustrophobic in my life..been in all sorts of tight spaces over the years..in january the docs put a full cast on my left arm from wrist surgery in december...I spent the next 7 weeks in almost constant panic attack due to feeling claustrophobic...weirdest thing I have ever felt, and just freaked me out..at its worst I was thinking I should chop my arm off to get away from the cast...
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

What the actual fuck? How did he get out?

I don't like confined spaces at all. But thinking back as a kid growing up in NJ there is; at least I think its still there, an old Newark Watershed pipeline that ran back behind my house to Lake Waywayanda in Waywayanda State Park. We used to walk that pipe all the time then we got the bright idea to get flashlights and stuff and crawl into it for a few miles. Thinking back on it it was pretty dumb and long before days of cell phones.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I was fine in confined spaces until the time I became trapped. Now I get that "I can't breath, must escape!" feeling.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread freaks me out I'm so claustrophobic.

I have no problem with MRI's though. I could think myself into a problem in one though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Same here. The only thing that bothers me is my freaking haul line, belay line, supplied air line and bag of equipment getting all twisted together when crawling around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unhook everything but your safety it makes it much easier to move around and stay untangled.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#34]
The new MRI machines that look like a giant doughnut are the way to go. You have plenty of room on all sides and it is open on both ends. I took one last year and it was fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#35]
a friend does the cave exploring thing and he has told me about places where you have to exhale to squeeze through

fucking idiot

crawl spaces and such dont bother me when im working but I wouldnt do it out in the wild for fun
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

More nightmare material

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS_aMAlAaeU

View Quote
fuck no made it about half way through before i stopped it,nope.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Unhook everything but your safety it makes it much easier to move around and stay untangled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll keep my airline attached to me since I use it to breathe but I can see how that would temporarily help.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I am a caver and cave diver.

What's the issue?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I know my limits on confined spaces.

A lot of what is posted is fine, the little gif of the kid slipping in that hole bit by bit is something I could not do and would not do if I could.

some of the cave wiggle stuff shown is fine, I do not strip down and squeeze through.  I also used the helmet as a good starting point on size and if I had to start removing my canteen belt and what not I probably was not going.  I started young and had the cheap disposable flashlights taped on my helmet sides making it even a bit wider than normal.  Just kept using the flashlights as I got older because it worked for me.  I do still like carbide lamps though.  As far as using your hands to see if your hips would fit, don't know but right now my gut is bigger than that so oh well.

Always been a big fella, when younger not so much fat.

I was going spelunking back before led flashlights and what not, dad and uncle and all the folks from that group were using carbide lamps.  Uncle was huge into it, dad tagged along because I wanted to go.

Dad stopped when he realized all the caves with running water could flood if a rainstorm up top hit.  Been 3 decades or so but I think there was a big story on 6 guys stuck underground because the underground creek rose and I don't recall if they died or not.  But it made my dad put 2 and 2 together.  His biggest issue was there would be no real warning.  We always checked weather and we always were careful about that and what not, but he never really put it all together until that news article.

We did not do more than one day stuff.  Always wanted to camp out in a cave and what not but oh well.

Heck, I work in a prison and work with people who have issues with some of the door "traps" we use every day.  A trap is where you walk through one door and it shuts.  You are in a small area and the next door opens and you continue on your way.  Should there be an issue, the trap is used to isolate things and what not, common use for everyday inmate movement.

Some officers can't stand being in a cell long enough to search it.

Had some fresh inmates who had issues dealing with being locked in the cell and not being able to exit if they wished to exit.  That loss of control was as big an issue or bigger than the small space.

Been to some old prisons, they had some small stuff.  When you get to the torture stuff of old where you can't sit, can't stand, no nothin, I admit that would suck.

And definate thanks to those who do the rescue stuff for the small spaces or caves or collapsed buildings.  

I don't knock people who have issues with this or that, I figure we all have issues with something or other.

My biggest thing on some of the underground horror movies, cave or not, is where someone is in a tight spot and the rocks are shifted by the enemy or something is hunting them and it is better adapted to movement in the cave than the person.  I like those movies.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Well I read the story of the guys enlarging the hole in the cave, can't get past page 10? Website issues or did they not return?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#42]
small spaces don`t bother me,its the crawlie bitie things that get me
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Not being able to stand upright is no biggie.  Squeezing through passage that requires exhaling to fit through kinda bugs me now and then
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Dayum!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'll keep my airline attached to me since I use it to breathe but I can see how that would temporarily help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL I was referring to your ropes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I remember that guy that got stuck in the Nutty Putty cave in Utah.  He was stuck in an almost inverted position, head down and feet sticking straight up.  Rescue workers stayed near him and worked to get him out but he died within a day.  They closed the cave and he's still there, the cave serves as his final resting place.  Creepy.  
View Quote

Yea that was a sad deal.

I was doing some canyoneering down is Southern Utah and caught up to a group ahead of me. Guy in their group started freaking out and totally lost it. He started scurrying around and was injuring himself and others.

Someone in their group knocked him out cold with a blow to the temple with a Nalgene bottle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

This was part of the department requirements when I was a Probie.......but to have a broader group of firefighters it was removed. I was a Confined Space guy for many years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#49]
DC-8 and 9 center and wing fuel tanks and 737 main tanks.
Now days being old and fat has its privileges.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#50]

The Lost Sea right?  I never thought I had a problem with being claustrophobic until I went here with the scouts one year.  I had to really talk myself through some spots.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top