BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wreck of the Arizona is a WAR grave in U.S. territorial waters on a Navy base.  Kinda different.
View Quote
She has been fairly extensively salvaged by the Navy too.

She is no more of a war grave than any of the other ships sunk and/or damaged in that attack that were raised and either scrapped, scuttled or rebuilt.  BUT on those ships the remains were recovered and given a proper burial too so there is that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not to mention the Flying Tigers.  And sinking a Jap sub before the PH attack.
View Quote
Flying Tigers were after Pearl and if you don't want your sub sunk don't try sneaking into someone eles's harbor while surfaced.

But yeah, we did kinda pick that fight.  Moving the fleet to Pearl in the first place was to irritate Japan.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw the traveling artifact display when they were in St. Louis, and we had those fake boarding passes where at the end of the tour we could look to see if we survived. I don't think I have those anymore though.

In 2012 my son and I went through the Titanic Museum in Branson.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I bought a souvenior souvenir spoon.

Attachment Attached File

Edit fer spelin.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's the significance of the hull not being riveted?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The flush rivet was invented in the 1920's and the blind rivet even later.

Construction on the Titanic began in 1909 and she launched in 1911. Do you have any examples of flush-rivets or blind-rivets from this time period?
What's the significance of the hull not being riveted?
Finally, someone asks the important question:
https://www.stolenhistory.org/threads/our-civilization-did-not-build-titanic-olympic-or-britannic-theirs-did-was-it-the-tartarian-one.118/
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
THATS CALLED NUT COAL, BIG SHIPS BURN BIG COAL. THATS THE SIZE YOU BURN IN A KITCHEN COAL STOVE. I BURN BIGGER COAL THEN THAT IN OUR PARLOR STOVE. OF COURSE THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD BIG LUMPS AND CRACKED THEM INTO 4 PIECES FOR PROFIT . THE BIG SHIPS AND FOUNDRYS BURN EGG COAL. COAL IS SOLD BY THE SIZE RICE,BUCK,PEA,NUT,STOVE, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST EGG. I LIVE RIGHT IN THE HEART OF THE COAL REGION AND ALWAYS HAVE. IF I WASNT SO TIRED I WOULD GO TAKE PICTURES OF BUCK (I BURN THAT IN A STOKER) AND SOME STOVE COAL (I BURN IN THE PARLOR STOVE)
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Was anyone a kid in the 80s Nd watch the movie "raising the Titanic"

After that movie I was obsessed with the facts of the ship. It was a jaw dropping moment when that ship came back out of the water in the movie.

It came up in one piece, that was before we found her , and before we knew it broke in half.

I imagine after it was found and documented the movie seemed silly and was largely forgotten.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice find.

I read the book. Never saw the film. Your right, I forgot all about it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
THATS CALLED NUT COAL, BIG SHIPS BURN BIG COAL. THATS THE SIZE YOU BURN IN A KITCHEN COAL STOVE. I BURN BIGGER COAL THEN THAT IN OUR PARLOR STOVE. OF COURSE THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD BIG LUMPS AND CRACKED THEM INTO 4 PIECES FOR PROFIT . THE BIG SHIPS AND FOUNDRYS BURN EGG COAL. COAL IS SOLD BY THE SIZE RICE,BUCK,PEA,NUT,STOVE, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST EGG. I LIVE RIGHT IN THE HEART OF THE COAL REGION AND ALWAYS HAVE. IF I WASNT SO TIRED I WOULD GO TAKE PICTURES OF BUCK (I BURN THAT IN A STOKER) AND SOME STOVE COAL (I BURN IN THE PARLOR STOVE)
View Quote
Jesus Christ... are typing that from a coal bunker on the fucking Titanic, old man?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ... are typing that from a coal bunker on the fucking Titanic, old man?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have some respect for the elders. I like it when old people post on the internet.

At least it isn't in Cuneiform or Hyroglifics.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I guess I do not understand your premise with the Titanic. It could have been Dr. Robert Ballard's wreck, he did not do it. I personally do not want anything off it. Now that civil war gold in lake Michigan?

We were manipulating Japans markets and stopped oil to their island. We knew what was coming too.
View Quote
Ballard was acting on behalf of the United States as he was on temporary active duty with the Navy during the hunt for Thresher and Scorpion, and using the remainder of the expedition's funds to find Titanic, he couldn't claim the wreck personally.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I remember reading the book. First "Dirk Pitt" novel I read.
View Quote
One of my first too. I think I've read all of them up to about 2015 now
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#17]
All this titanic coal talk.. anyone talking bout the watch made from steel from the wreck?
https://www.govbergwatches.com/shop/pre-owned-romain-jerome-titanic-dna-steampunk-limited-edition-rj-t-au-sp-001-01-2/?keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjw-ZvlBRBbEiwANw9UWn3YT3zeqyRNKguGLtAF9jphPYGFi4-EI5YNAuRvXva8sXa5K79g-RoCFJQQAvD_BwE
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't think that's how this works.  Bodies are mostly liquid; you can't compress a liquid.  The chest cavity might crush in if the lungs don't fill with water first, but the body wouldn't get pulverized or liquefied by pressure.
View Quote
Your right we are mainly made out of water. Ever smash a ketchup packet?

At 2.5 miles below the surface the pressure is approximately 6000 psi. Our bones are not solid. How much pressure does it take to crush bone?

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who the fuck has a parlor in this, or even last, century?

View Quote
Funeral homes.  Old Southern houses.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Flying Tigers were after Pearl and if you don't want your sub sunk don't try sneaking into someone eles's harbor while surfaced.

But yeah, we did kinda pick that fight.  Moving the fleet to Pearl in the first place was to irritate Japan.
View Quote
Flying Tigers did not engage in COMBAT before PH, but were in fact organized, equipped, and in theater BEFORE PH with the express intention of fighting the Japanese.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Was anyone a kid in the 80s Nd watch the movie "raising the Titanic"

After that movie I was obsessed with the facts of the ship. It was a jaw dropping moment when that ship came back out of the water in the movie.

It came up in one piece, that was before we found her , and before we knew it broke in half.

I imagine after it was found and documented the movie seemed silly and was largely forgotten.
View Quote
Never saw the movie, but the book by Cussler was great.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You understand that when you smash a ketchup packet, you're not compressing the ketchup, right?  The reason it bursts is the contents don't compress and the container gives way.  That's got about nothing to do with the scenario we're talking about.  It's not like putting a corpse on a hydraulic press and hitting it with 6000psi.  The pressure surrounds the corpse, which is pretty much a liquid filled bag.  Fill up a balloon with air and take it 60 feet down; the air compresses and the balloon gets smaller.  Fill it up with water and take it 60 (or 600) feet down.  Same size.
View Quote
Yes I do and you are correct about pressure and equal distribution. Edit: This is an interesting discussion.

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You understand that when you smash a ketchup packet, you're not compressing the ketchup, right?  The reason it bursts is the contents don't compress and the container gives way.  That's got about nothing to do with the scenario we're talking about.  It's not like putting a corpse on a hydraulic press and hitting it with 6000psi.  The pressure surrounds the corpse, which is pretty much a liquid filled bag.  Fill up a balloon with air and take it 60 feet down; the air compresses and the balloon gets smaller.  Fill it up with water and take it 60 (or 600) feet down.  Same size.
View Quote
One of the recent aircraft carrier finds, I think it was the Hornet had an oxygen bottle laying on the deck.  It had been crushed... but hadn't ruptured.  Pressure is applied equally everywhere and apparently it had a really good valve on it so it held.

When they were trying to get human remains off the Arizona a few months after the attack as soon as the corpses would break the surface they would pretty much explode without the water pressure holding them together.  They called it off after around 40 because it just wasn't working out very well.  And that is not very deep.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
WHY ARE YOU YELLING?!?!?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WHY ARE YOU YELLING?!?!?
Don’t forget best coal is Blue Coal
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
YOU FORGOT LUMP & SLACK COAL, MR COAL MAN.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#29]
NUT

COAL

Amazon Product
  • Great for school projects
  • Stocking stuffers
  • Science projects

Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Anthracite Name of size Diameter of mesh

Broken 4-1/2
Egg 3-7/16
Stove 2-1/2
Chestnut 1-9/16
Pea 1-1/16
Buckwheat 1  
Buckwheat 2
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#31]
So where can I buy a chunk of Titanic coal for my 8 year old son. He loves the Titanic and I thought it would be a great stocking stuffer for him for this upcoming Christmas.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So where can I buy a chunk of Titanic coal for my 8 year old son. He loves the Titanic and I thought it would be a great stocking stuffer for him for this upcoming Christmas.
View Quote
Looks like mine. Not mine so buyer beware.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=titanic+coal&ul_noapp=true
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Google Titanic coal.

Here's the first result I got;

https://thetitanicstore.com/product/coal-hourglass/
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

At 2.5 miles below the surface the pressure is approximately 6000 psi. Our bones are not solid. How much pressure does it take to crush bone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vBRW-MPs84
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that's how this works.  Bodies are mostly liquid; you can't compress a liquid.  The chest cavity might crush in if the lungs don't fill with water first, but the body wouldn't get pulverized or liquefied by pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vBRW-MPs84
That is a carefully contrived Lie.

Amazing that you can’t see through it.

Maybe sealife and bacteria did eat the bodies, but the flesh wasn’t squashed to a pulp like they suggest.

That’s just stupid.    The laws of physics don’t change on the sea floor.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ballard was acting on behalf of the United States as he was on temporary active duty with the Navy during the hunt for Thresher and Scorpion, and using the remainder of the expedition's funds to find Titanic, he couldn't claim the wreck personally.

Kharn
View Quote
I posted the link a ways back. National Geographic said he could have. I know he was borrowing the remainder of the time from the navy expedition.

#NUTCOAL_BIDENTOUCHEDTHEM
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
--.- .-. .--.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Coal story bro
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That is a carefully contrived Lie.

Amazing that you can’t see through it.

Maybe sealife and bacteria did eat the bodies, but the flesh wasn’t squashed to a pulp like they suggest.

That’s just stupid.    The laws of physics don’t change on the sea floor.
View Quote
You guys are probably right. I concede.

I never really gave it much thought. I always tried not to be in that position and the fact if I was it wouldn't matter to me.

I know Dr. Ballard said that there were no bodies there. He thought that because of the pressure and conditions that the bodies rapidly degraded.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This is kinda disturbing IMO. The Titanic is a grave site and should be left alone, there's over 1500 dead people there.
View Quote
They were long ago turned into crab meat.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Have you considered they may have broken them up so they could sell more individual units since people won't be burning them in a ship's boiler?

Cool piece of history OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you considered they may have broken them up so they could sell more individual units since people won't be burning them in a ship's boiler?

Cool piece of history OP.
...OF COURSE THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD BIG LUMPS AND CRACKED THEM INTO 4 PIECES FOR PROFIT...
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
AVG was over a year prior to Pearl, but continued after as well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#45]
L L
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

AVG was over a year prior to Pearl, but continued after as well.
View Quote
First combat mission was December 20th 1941.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Did we ever get the pics of the buck and stove coal?
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah. I actually considered not using that photo for that reason, it was from an article discussing the #4 stack.   But I was too lazy to make my own... laziness won out.
View Quote
I can respect that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I can respect that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah. I actually considered not using that photo for that reason, it was from an article discussing the #4 stack.   But I was too lazy to make my own... laziness won out.
I can respect that.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top