User Panel

Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is VERY debatable.

I'm still using a Made In America General Electric kitchen mixer that's almost as old as I am. How long you think your typical Made In China mixer sold at Walmart right now will last?

How about the quality of construction of a 1970s house versus quality of construction in your average McMansion?

Even in your example of the car, you're only kind of right. Who is going to be doing barn finds on a 2005 Honda Accord in 50 years?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today’s dollar purchases about 1/10 of what it did 45 years ago. $10 = $1.

So that's not entirely accurate.  While inflation has definitely happened, the factor you are not considering is the quality of item your dollar is purchasing today is exponentially better than what you could purchase in 1975.  For example a $10,000 economy car today will drive for 250,000 miles without a problem.  Try that with a vehicle from 1975.  Also, a 43" TV today can be had for less than $300, in 2010, the same size TV (worse quality) would be $1200.

Where your argument is true is for everyday purchases like groceries. So inflation effects the poorest people the most.  Those considered middle class have arguably more purchasing power today than they did in 1975, even accounting for the loss in value of the dollar.

This is VERY debatable.

I'm still using a Made In America General Electric kitchen mixer that's almost as old as I am. How long you think your typical Made In China mixer sold at Walmart right now will last?

How about the quality of construction of a 1970s house versus quality of construction in your average McMansion?

Even in your example of the car, you're only kind of right. Who is going to be doing barn finds on a 2005 Honda Accord in 50 years?

It really depends on the product...

1949 GM Frigidaire works better than any new fridge you’ll ever buy. It’s been running continuously for the past 70 years.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The time to choose a candidate is over. Both parties had better people running. The right already selected DJT. The left chose Biden. As of now I will be voting None of These Candidates or third party.
View Quote

You are thinking like a child here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am just starting to think I will be voting for whoever is going to give me the most free stuff. I work hard pay taxes and we live comfortably. I want to start a small business, so any extra money will go towards that. Shit, I am even selling a pistol that could double in price if Biden wins. So I am on the fence now, since it seems no one cares anymore and the #1 rule is look out for you and your own.
View Quote

Looking out for your own means voting against the evil Democrat Party that will send the Gestapo or their gangs to your house to put you in prison for owning a gun or wrong think.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Projecting much?

Since you appear to be incapable of naming a suitable candidate for us to support at least do this ...  

Of the morally bankrupt, big government candidates on the ballot this fall, who will you be voting for?
View Quote

You had both Ted Cruz and Rand Paul to pick from last time and yet the low-functioning class of non-conservative Republicans went with DJT instead.  

Pretty pathetic, but totally unsurprising when you begin to understand just how low-information / low-functioning / easily duped the average Republican primary voter is.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You had both Ted Cruz and Rand Paul to pick from last time and yet the low-functioning class of non-conservative Republicans went with DJT instead.  

Pretty pathetic, but totally unsurprising when you begin to understand just how low-information / low-functioning / easily duped the average Republican primary voter is.  
View Quote

Neither my Wife nor I voted for Trump in the primaries.  I voted for Cruz.  

When the choice was between Trump & the witch Clinton in the General election, I went with Trump.

I will be doing the same this time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Looking out for your own means voting against the evil Democrat Party that will send the Gestapo or their gangs to your house to put you in prison for owning a gun or wrong think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am just starting to think I will be voting for whoever is going to give me the most free stuff. I work hard pay taxes and we live comfortably. I want to start a small business, so any extra money will go towards that. Shit, I am even selling a pistol that could double in price if Biden wins. So I am on the fence now, since it seems no one cares anymore and the #1 rule is look out for you and your own.

All my guns were lost in a boating accident on the Gulf of Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lol.

He don't think crumple zones be like it is, but it do.

New cars are far safer than anything from the 70s. Those heavy all steel cars from the 70s often meant you got an engine in your lap cutting you in half during a bad wreck.
View Quote

I have no doubt that modern engineering methods have improved vehicle safety but which do you think is going to be safer, a modern commuter car made with body panels comprised of plastic and composites with crumple zones or a car made with 14-18ga steel or aluminum, like older cars, on a full steel frame with equally modern safety engineering?

Coffee Won’t Kill You, But CAFE Might

Extremely lightweight cars made with lots of plastic and composites have their place (like high performance where weight savings are important) but the general consumer market isn't it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh, look, a 2019 with no EE feedback and no membership encouraging people not to vote.

That's interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol like literally never happened. Ran on that? Oh they all did. Actually ever were? lol nope.

But remember!  We have to vote Republican in order to save the republic because it's the most important and consequential election of our lifetimes!

Oh, look, a 2019 with no EE feedback and no membership encouraging people not to vote.

That's interesting.

Sorry your guy ended up being a liberal cuck.  Nobody could have seen this coming.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Just do it, we know the economy is about to collapse, give us one last big pay out to get ready. I could use another $1,200, toward NVG or storable food.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's commie talk.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,the smaller gov,less spending,pro gun Republican Party wouldn't do that. I think the only penalty for possessing a piece of plastic called a Bumpstock,is a letter in your permanent file...
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm sure I make too much money for this round of free shit.
View Quote

Yep, but I'll sure get to help pay for everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
The pro Biden/ Harris people are really coming out as the election nears.  Join date/ post count, have the ruskies infiltrated gd ?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Projecting much?

Since you appear to be incapable of naming a suitable candidate for us to support at least do this ...  

Of the morally bankrupt, big government candidates on the ballot this fall, who will you be voting for?

Entertainment is first and foremost
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep,the smaller gov,less spending,pro gun Republican Party wouldn't do that. I think the only penalty for possessing a piece of plastic called a Bumpstock,is a letter in your permanent file...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But remember!  We have to vote Republican in order to save the republic because it's the most important and consequential election of our lifetimes!

View Quote

And you believe Biden is the answer?
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not so excited about the free money. Not really with trump on this one. But what Chucky and Nancy are proposing is far worse.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The time to choose a candidate is over. Both parties had better people running. The right already selected DJT. The left chose Biden. As of now I will be voting None of These Candidates or third party.

There is quite a bit of that in this thread.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Neither my Wife nor I voted for Trump in the primaries.  I voted for Cruz.  

When the choice was between Trump & the witch Clinton in the General election, I went with Trump.

I will be doing the same this time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not so excited about the free money. Not really with trump on this one. But what Chucky and Nancy are proposing is far worse.
View Quote

Either way it’s going to be a loss. No different than anything else in US politics.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And you believe Biden is the answer?
View Quote

NO!

Just because I call Trump a liberal doesn't mean that I'm a Biden supporter.  If anything it makes me more staunchly anti-Biden than most.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh god , money printer goes brrrrrp
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top