BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
By that you mean shrink wrapped in a desert?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It should be C-27J mobile.
By that you mean shrink wrapped in a desert?

That too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

They were not air-droppable - which seems to be a primary Army requirement for a light tank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which were basically very lightly armored tanks with big guns.

They were not air-droppable - which seems to be a primary Army requirement for a light tank.

True. But I figure with new composite materials and new steel production techniques you could make a stronger and lighter TD.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

even for a swo, you're a dick.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

All M-1 variants can burn deisel.  Just have to change filters. Not a Mechanic so not sure of what filters but do know you don't have to change filters but will run into problems quickly if you don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No we have the shorty. The Abrams engine can burn diesel I believe. Can't most jets if needed?

The Abrams was optimised for fighting from defilade and relocating in European conditions... other tactics might favor other tanks.

All M-1 variants can burn deisel.  Just have to change filters. Not a Mechanic so not sure of what filters but do know you don't have to change filters but will run into problems quickly if you don't.

Diesel is all that we put in ours when I was in.  My M88, the M2/M3's, the M113's and all the wheeled vehicles got the same fuel.  Why did they switch and what is the difference in fuel filters?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dude as a paratrooper I loved that lumber behemouth of a gun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting rid of them was silly to begin with.

But i wonder what kind of hell the procurement and development for a new light tank will be like .

Getting rid of the M551 Sheridan was a smart move it was always a booger.

Dude as a paratrooper I loved that lumber behemouth of a gun

That big gun was more show than go.  The Shiloh missile was terrible and the gun was only slightly better.  For the weight and logistics, you probably would have had much better tank killing and fire support with couple of Humvee's with tows and one with a Mark 19.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

True. But I figure with new composite materials and new steel production techniques you could make a stronger and lighter TD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which were basically very lightly armored tanks with big guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Modular_Armor_Protection

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Diesel is all that we put in ours when I was in.  My M88, the M2/M3's, the M113's and all the wheeled vehicles got the same fuel.  Why did they switch and what is the difference in fuel filters?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No we have the shorty. The Abrams engine can burn diesel I believe. Can't most jets if needed?

The Abrams was optimised for fighting from defilade and relocating in European conditions... other tactics might favor other tanks.

Here's an interestinghttp://www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/marapr05/reality.html read I found
I know in the Marines it's pretty awesome having a single fuel.    One FARP can fuel planes, tanks, Humvee, motorcycles, the works.

Simple logistics.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pop quiz:  artillery is a top-attack weapon - true or false ......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any arty will murder-death-kill anything that's C-130 droppable. That's why you have infantry that can dig holes.

True and false.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:27:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

More like a tank destroyer role? Or tracked arty? Oddball voice:, a quartet of Shermans can be very useful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with having a light tank, but I don't see it having enough armor if it can be flown in by C-130. Set a weight limit of 30 tons, with the same gun and fire control as the Abrams. Do NOT make it turbine powered and NO aluminum armor.
Has armor technology advanced enough to provide decent protection in that weight range?

More like a tank destroyer role? Or tracked arty? Oddball voice:, a quartet of Shermans can be very useful.

I figure it should have enough firepower to deal with a MBT if it has to but the main roles would be support of airborne infantry and scouting with some ambush action in there.
I would also think it might be a good thing if it could be used as light mobile artillery. Kinda kill two birds with one stone.

My thoughts are that they would be quickly deployable in numbers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
True and false.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any arty will murder-death-kill anything that's C-130 droppable. That's why you have infantry that can dig holes.

True and false.
I love it that Rick's trying to pop quiz a bunch of people who have actually dealt with this stuff in real life

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the military has gone to 'Jet Fuel for everything'.  Diesels will run on JP-8. Or commercial Jet-A.

Jet Fuel, in general, has fewer impurities than Diesel.  So it would not surprise me if the reason that they have to change filters is because Diesel will clog up the fuel filters that are intended for JP-8.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Stupid leg question about the weight limit on air dropping armored vehicles.

View Quote

Per wiki, the parachutes on the shuttle SRB are each rated at 88 metric tons, and three are used the give the 91 metric ton empty SRB an impact rate

of about 80 fps into water.  Can't bigger parachutes be used on something like a 40 ton vehicle dropped from a C-17?

Are moving CG issues at the load is dropped too hard to overcome?

Is that impact the issue and not the weight? I recall video of the Russians using proximity activated retro-rockets at the last second to slow descent.

Maybe the issue isn't the ground or air vehicle but the parachute system.

This?

It's not that different from the landing system on Soyuz capsules.

ETA: Not that you'd really want to be in either...

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I love it that Rick's trying to pop quiz a bunch of people who have actually dealt with this stuff in real life

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True and false.

but, but, my simulations are tested and validated...
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I love that thing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Per wiki, the parachutes on the shuttle SRB are each rated at 88 metric tons, and three are used the give the 91 metric ton empty SRB an impact rate
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid leg question about the weight limit on air dropping armored vehicles.

of about 80 fps into water.  Can't bigger parachutes be used on something like a 40 ton vehicle dropped from a C-17?

Are moving CG issues at the load is dropped too hard to overcome?

Is that impact the issue and not the weight? I recall video of the Russians using proximity activated retro-rockets at the last second to slow descent.

Maybe the issue isn't the ground or air vehicle but the parachute system.

This?

http://youtu.be/4uGfOppQD_g

It's not that different from the landing system on Soyuz capsules.

ETA: Not that you'd really want to be in either...

That's it.  Someone pointed out that 80 fps is 55 mph.  A bit much.  But that is also three 88 ton chutes on a 91 ton payload.  What would the

same chutes do for a max palletized weight of say......45 tons?
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
What was that cool little tank that they based the GIJOE "Mauler" off of?

Just looked it up: HSVT(L).  I know dick about tanks, but always thought that one was neat.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think it's also important to remember that for airborne troops, tanks provide far more than just anti tank capability. Javelins work great for anti tank work in 99% of situations, but what happens if you need to break down a wall, or reduce an obstacle? Sure you have things like SMAW-D's and AT4's and maybe if they stick around Carl Gustav's, but that still requires a guy to bring it into action. I think an airborne force with limited tanks would work quite well simply because unlike mech heavy forces, both sides, the DAT's and the crunchies need eachother to survive.

View Quote

11M's and 19K go together quite well.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A properly dug fox hole will give you some protection unless it air bursts almost directly overhead.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's also important to remember that for airborne troops, tanks provide far more than just anti tank capability. Javelins work great for anti tank work in 99% of situations, but what happens if you need to break down a wall, or reduce an obstacle? Sure you have things like SMAW-D's and AT4's and maybe if they stick around Carl Gustav's, but that still requires a guy to bring it into action. I think an airborne force with limited tanks would work quite well simply because unlike mech heavy forces, both sides, the DAT's and the crunchies need eachother to survive.

Except we don't have 11M's anymore.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]

WW2 didn't involve RPG's, ATGM, and gun trucks with 14.5/23mm cannons around every corner.  Also, tank destroyers weren't used in air drops, had lots of infantry support, and were mostly used in defensive

View Quote

Behind every hedgerove in normandy was a panzerfaust or AT gun. Also the bazooka was the grandfather to the rpg.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Behind every hedgerove in normandy was a panzerfaust or AT gun. Also the bazooka was the grandfather to the rpg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WW2 didn't involve RPG's, ATGM, and gun trucks with 14.5/23mm cannons around every corner.  Also, tank destroyers weren't used in air drops, had lots of infantry support, and were mostly used in defensive

Uh huh. They had a ton of shoulder fired AT weapons back in WW2.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  Even recoiless rifles were being used by all parties.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#24]
For this purpose, smaller is better.  

I submit the BMD airborne.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:04:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And promptly ditched them for the wheeled, LAV-25 derivative AUSLAV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M113 air droppable fucking GAVIN!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7116054575_60b0213493_z.jpg

Looks like a stuart turret stuck on a 113 chasis.

Australian FSV (Fire Support Vehicle)
They took old Saladin armored car turrets and mounted them on M113's for mobile fire support. They were used in Vietnam. They stuck with the concept upgrading them later with Scorpion light tank turrets and renaming them MRV's. (Medium Reconnaissance Vehicle)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-agCDxAV-jnk/UITJ4ES9enI/AAAAAAAAkD0/C7tkDX7xnJM/s400/4038264624_99a56034af_b.jpg

And promptly ditched them for the wheeled, LAV-25 derivative AUSLAV.

Sort of yes sort of no.  They still use a similar APC version, the M113AS4.  They just put them into service in 2007 or so.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No more Death before Dismount?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

FTW! Those little bastards run on a turbocharged 4 Cyl. VW engine (Wiesel 2); need to fix one? Pull up to the nearest VW Dealer... Plus they are fast as shit for what they are.

DAS AUTO.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#28]
My inner 10 year old votes for this:

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

True and false.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True and false.

Last I checked, stuff falls down.

Gravity: it's not just a suggestion - it's the law.

Infantry in holes are not immune to artillery.  While it gives them some protection, if they are in their hole with their head down, they aren't launching and guiding a TOW.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Didn't some teddy bears fuck up a bunch of those with rocks, logs, and rope?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:but, but, my simulations are tested and validated...
View Quote

Not my simulation - it belongs to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.  If you have a beef with it, take it up with them ....
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Go back to the WWII concept of using gliders. Build a jettisonable fiberglass airframe around your tank. Strap some rockets to it. Then tow it close, with a C17, then fire the rocket engines and let it fly itself to the LZ

I think ACME has these....

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Last I checked, stuff falls down.

Gravity: it's not just a suggestion - it's the law.

Infantry in holes are not immune to artillery.  While it gives them some protection, if they are in their hole with their head down, they aren't launching and guiding a TOW.
View Quote

Last I checked, you still have no clue what you are talking about.

90% of casualties from artillery are caused by lateral fragmentation, which is indeed mitigated very well via foxholes. Artillery is only top attack when using VT.  Otherwise it initiates via PD upon contact with the ground, making it not a top attack weapon, regardless of how it was delivered.

If a large diameter artillery barrage is keeping infantry heads down, then likewise the enemy aren't moving within 500 meters of their position until it's over, especially if they are using VT for airburst.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:05:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Operator headspace and timing issue.  Nothing more.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Last I checked, you still have no clue what you are talking about.

90% of casualties from artillery are caused by lateral fragmentation, which is indeed mitigated very well via foxholes. If you are insinuating that because foxholes are open top and artillery falls down they are guaranteed to directly meet then you may want to just stop talking.  

If a large diameter artillery barrage is keeping infantry heads down, then likewise the enemy aren't moving within 500 meters of their position until it's over.
View Quote

No way man... artillery only hurts if it hits you right on top of the head... Kevlar/Aramid Level IV parasols FTW!

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#37]
The choice fuse is VT, which is going to push fragments down into the whole. If there is overhead cover then you use a time setting.

When you want to close with the enemy to use a gunners quadrant to drop the rounds more accurately and you use a delay setting to mitigate blast radius issues.

Or you can also use mortars.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#38]
100 main gun and 30mm auto cannon? Sounds like the Russkies did it right

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
TOWs were taking out tanks. They happen to have been launched from Bradleys.

If they try that stunt against decent tanks with competent (read: non-Arab) crews, it won't be near so lop-sided.

If you want something to deploy with airborne and to fight tanks you want something with a very low profile (not a Bradley), that doesn't waste scarce space on a chain gun, its turret, ammo , & FCS (again, not a Bradley) or a troop-carrying capacity (again, not a Bradley)

Some sort of short tank-destroyer type vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

An up armored Bradley wont fill this roll?? I though that I read that Brads were taking out Iraqi tanks in GW1.

This is going to be a trillion dollar black hole.
Battle of 73 eastings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_73_Easting

2ACR kicked major ass and didn't know it until the dust settled.

Some guys here have pics from that little get together.

If they try that stunt against decent tanks with competent (read: non-Arab) crews, it won't be near so lop-sided.

If you want something to deploy with airborne and to fight tanks you want something with a very low profile (not a Bradley), that doesn't waste scarce space on a chain gun, its turret, ammo , & FCS (again, not a Bradley) or a troop-carrying capacity (again, not a Bradley)

Like the M56 Scorpion SP 90mm gun?

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I retract my previous nomination of the Ontos.

Wait, no I don't.

Get both!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mobile GAU-8/A Chassis.

I retract my previous nomination of the Ontos.

Wait, no I don't.

Get both!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Have you actually seen an M50 Ontos?  Been in one?  Tiny, clastrophopbic things - and you have to get out to reload - after the 8th shot (if you survive because of that huge signature from the 106mm recoiless rifle).

And it was based on the M56 Scorpion.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
100 main gun and 30mm auto cannon? Sounds like the Russkies did it right

View All Quotes

A 100mm low velocity main gun.  It fires only missiles or explosive shells, not KE rounds.
It's an APC, but only carries a 4 or 5 guys.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Question for the Airborne types. Do we really need a 'light tank' or are you really looking for a highly portable heavy weapon (that can do AT/Anti-bunker/knock down walls)?

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/AAFTankMuseum/SelfPropelledGuns/Mule106mmRecoillessGun/images/Mule106mmRecoillessGun.jpg

Mule with a 106, air-droppable - lots of bang; of course other weapons could be mounted.

Like a TOW (or better yet why not a Hellfire?)

http://www.transchool.lee.army.mil/museum/transportation%20museum/images/mule4.gif

View Quote

We went from M274s with 106s to M151s with TOWs.  Neither is really survivalable in high-intensity / high-speed armor / anti-armor warfare (we had a divisional doctrine call the the "Airborne Anti-Armor Defense" - the joes called it the "DIP" - die in place or the "speed bump".

We couldn't displace without getting hammered and the TOW / Dragon / LAW mix didn't put enough kills on tanks to slow them down (against US units, in exercises).  A single M1 had more main gun rounds than our battalions had TOTAL ATGMs - and if you let them close to LAW range you were already overrun.

We tried empasizing roving tank killer teams, but we soon found out how slow we moved compared to US or comperable mech units.

We needed our own tanks and one battalion of (hypothetically) 54 M551 Sheridan not-tanks spread out over three brigades was too few.

Against Arabs?  Maybe.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Spain did something like that (at least for indirect fire):

http://www.warwheels.net/images/M274mule120mmMortarSpainHaugh%20(1).jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Question for the Airborne types. Do we really need a 'light tank' or are you really looking for a highly portable heavy weapon (that can do AT/Anti-bunker/knock down walls)?

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/AAFTankMuseum/SelfPropelledGuns/Mule106mmRecoillessGun/images/Mule106mmRecoillessGun.jpg

Mule with a 106, air-droppable - lots of bang; of course other weapons could be mounted.

Like a TOW (or better yet why not a Hellfire?)

http://www.transchool.lee.army.mil/museum/transportation%20museum/images/mule4.gif

I think something like that with a developed shorter range/low pressure mortar capable of direct and indirect fires would be pretty well rounded.

Spain did something like that (at least for indirect fire):

http://www.warwheels.net/images/M274mule120mmMortarSpainHaugh%20(1).jpg

That's a parade.  The M274 was not capable of havng a 107mm / 120mm mortar fired from it.  Maybe a 60mm once or twice - but it would have been inoperable quick.

Mortars settle their baseplates 2-3 inches in HAR packed dirt when fired.  A mortar carrier has to be designed for that and the mortar is in a recoil dampening mount.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:44:20 AM EDT
[#46]
They will be used to fill the FEMA Camps.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Wouldn't that be an RPG magnet?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An up armored Bradley wont fill this roll?? I though that I read that Brads were taking out Iraqi tanks in GW1.

This is going to be a trillion dollar black hole.
Battle of 73 eastings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_73_Easting

2ACR kicked major ass and didn't know it until the dust settled.

Some guys here have pics from that little get together.

The main point about a LAAW is light armor. I wouldn't fire one at a T-55 and expect a kill. I never served, if anyone has a differing opinion please fill me in.

That middle pic looks dangerous. no thank you

Like the M56 Scorpion SP 90mm gun?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5003/5329456083_25bbd258e3_z.jpg

http://www.imcdb.org/i435864.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7186857284_e2bdf81e00_z.jpg

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Needs a motor in it like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UGsBe5zpm0
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top