Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@CarmelBytheSea

This will work just fine for everything up to the MacBook Air. Honestly, Apple doesn't make a product that uses 240w PD.

For anything you're likely to use it for right now this is fine. It may even be OK for the lower end 14" MBP
View Quote

I was thinking of getting something for the 15” air if I buy it next month still deciding but I got the 60W for 15 Pro Max back up

I saw this there too today

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Also saw these but one of them is overkill and unnecessary for cell phone use

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Pricing for the C was

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was thinking of getting something for the 15 air if I buy it next month still deciding but I got the 60W fir 15 Pro Max back up

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_4280_jpeg-3215818.JPG
View Quote
I don't think the majority of users need thunderbolt 4 anyway, but none of the reputable options are cheap, so it's not like the apple tax is that bad in this case. I don't even have a reason for 40gbps transfer rates, which is why I don't own a thunderbolt 4 cable. I'm honestly not sure if my computer even supports it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was thinking of getting something for the 15" air if I buy it next month still deciding but I got the 60W for 15 Pro Max back up

View Quote
The thunderbolt cable will work for charging but is overkill for ONLY charging.
unless you have a thunderbolt device you're connecting to, there is zero advantage over a standard USB C cable. in other words, thunderbolt is backwards compatible with USB but there is no advantage to using a thunderbolt cable in place of standard USB C
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apple makes the most basass USB-C cable available right now.   It is not cheap tho.

$29  isn't that expensive.

Um.. yes.  yes it is.  

It's completely F'ing ridiculous.  Let's ponder - what Margin is on that?  What is the COGS, behind that cable?  

What particular raw materials from rare asteroids orbiting Venus, were utilized in this manufacturing process, for this 11-wire data cable?  What exotic intelligent microbots were used to gold-weld the palladium platinum gold ingot mass level wire connections used, for this data cable?

Show me where you can buy a cable that actually meets that spec for less.  

240 Watt USB-C cable, $6

https://www.temu.com/ul/kuiper/un9.html?subj=coupon-un&_bg_fs=1&_p_jump_id=895&_x_vst_scene=adg&goods_id=601099573478516&sku_id=17592440900547&adg_ctx=a-d0647bf6~j-67ac949a~f-46891f97&_x_ads_sub_channel=shopping&_p_rfs=1&_x_ns_prz_type=-1&_x_gmc_catalog=1251695&_x_ns_sku_id=17592440900547&mrk_rec=1&_x_ns_catalog_id=1251695&_x_ads_channel=bing&_x_gmc_account=3544491&_x_ads_creative_id=82944784570519&_x_ns_device=c&_x_ads_account=176148943&_x_ns_match_type=e&_x_ns_msclkid=02a4661a1add156b9974005f9b3a1776&_x_ads_set=520686244&_x_ns_source=s&_x_ads_id=1327112906380941

As to death in house fires - man I tell you, all I do is go from funeral to funeral of all the millions of people dying in related house fires.  It's just a constant non-stop, and part of the reason the USA is doing illegal immigration to replace all the dead people from cheap cable fatalities.

There is no chance I would run 240 watts through anything that comes from Temu.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FPNI

Anker is a good brand.

And with the amount of cables I've acquired over the years, I'm shocked when someone only has one, and it's a ratted out almost failing piece of shit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anker

FPNI

Anker is a good brand.

And with the amount of cables I've acquired over the years, I'm shocked when someone only has one, and it's a ratted out almost failing piece of shit.

Each house, each room, suitcase, computer bag, cars, kitchen, families houses.

Anker Rand some of the Amazon cables as well.  Spend real money and get an Apple cable.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a fuckin' Chromebook USB C charger brick- and profit.  That's what I use at my desk. It'll throw a full charge on the phone pronto.

My kids steal my regular portable cables like they are going out of style anyway. I just get the crappy flat ones from the convenience store when the current one goes intermittent. About $12 and will last
maybe 6 mo. to a year or so.

Get some Caig deoxit spray and dribble a little on the port/cable end and it will do wonders for keeping it nice & functional.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]

You can buy that cable for $26 with free shipping directly from Apple with under their 'military and veterans' discount which is 10%
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was thinking of getting something for the 15" air if I buy it next month still deciding but I got the 60W for 15 Pro Max back up

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@CarmelBytheSea

This will work just fine for everything up to the MacBook Air. Honestly, Apple doesn't make a product that uses 240w PD.

For anything you're likely to use it for right now this is fine. It may even be OK for the lower end 14" MBP

That one is $62 directly from Apple also with the 'military and veterans' discount
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That one is $62 directly from Apple also with the 'military and veterans' discount
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@CarmelBytheSea

I buy um all day long for $57 before 5% cash back.

as a side note: GD is the only place that can take a topic as mundane as a cable and make it stretch 3 pages
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:16:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The thunderbolt cable will work for charging but is overkill for ONLY charging.
unless you have a thunderbolt device you're connecting to, there is zero advantage over a standard USB C cable. in other words, thunderbolt is backwards compatible with USB but there is no advantage to using a thunderbolt cable in place of standard USB C
View Quote
Yeah, thunderbolt's really the sort of thing where if you could already really benefit from it, you'd know. That being said, I sure do wish I had an ecosystem set up to utilize it right now.

but even in my case it would be a convenience thing and not necessary to business, which is why I'm not in any rush to dump a bunch of cash on it. I don't think most users are ever moving many files at once, and it's not an everyday thing for me either.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:31:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anybody got a suggestion on a good one? I seem to burn through these with some regularity. So dollar tree offerings get used because, hey they are a buck and lasted just as long as spendier stuff. It always presents itself at the end of a long day, and you are NOT, making that drive back to town to make sure your electronic leash is fully charged.
View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082Z1YYRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I buy um all day long for $57 before 5% cash back.

as a side note: GD is the only place that can take a topic as mundane as a cable and make it stretch 3 pages
View Quote
There was a whole section I typed under this that didn't post for some reason.

my point with the above is the price on some of these cables is high because the level of manufacturing is high. Even at my cost I'm not saving much because there's not that much markup in it.
when you see the same cable for half or cheaper, there is something wrong. Either cheaper materials or it doesn't actually meet the standard.
Quoted:
Yeah, thunderbolt's really the sort of thing where if you could already really benefit from it, you'd know. That being said, I sure do wish I had an ecosystem set up to utilize it right now.
https://i.imgur.com/KpBcO4z.png

but even in my case it would be a convenience thing and not necessary to business, which is why I'm not in any rush to dump a bunch of cash on it. I don't think most users are ever moving many files at once, and it's not an everyday thing for me either.
View Quote
What they are trying to do now is blur the lines between thunderbolt and USB. That's why the new cables (like Camelbythesea posted) is 40gbs.
that's the old spec for TB3.

I predict (take this for what it's worth) that in a few years the name "thunderbolt" won't be around anymore and everything will be USB.

We'll see what happens because the whole reason Apple created the lightning cable was because USB was becoming too fragmented with micro USB and mini USB and Pico USB.. it was shit.
 The idea was lightning for low/medium speed connections that needed a robust connector and thunderbolt for high speed, low latency connections that were medium agnostic (copper or fiber).
see what was done with the names? Lightning, Thunderbolt?

If USB can figure out what it wants to be and finally get something that isn't clear as mud to the average person in Best Buy trying to find a cable for his retired dad to charge his phone or connect his streaming device to his TV.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
go to Monoprice.

/thread
View Quote

+1 for Monoprice. Great source for any cable, power cords, networking cable, speaker wire, etc. Their monolith speakers are also fantastic for the price.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anker
View Quote

These work for me from Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You can buy that cable for $26 with free shipping directly from Apple with under their 'military and veterans' discount which is 10%
View Quote

I’ll have to remember that. I’ve been traveling a bunch so buying stuff “on the road” but I like the idea of not wasting gas $ standing in line and dealing with traffic if I don’t have to.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#19]
if you have an IKEA nearby, they sell cables, that appear to work with Samsung superfast charging.  30w wall adapters too
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I think there’s other brands better than Anker but besides cables I buy their other products to if I need something now that I’m 87% confident it will work as advertised. As most of the other brands I think are top tier require an 5 to 10 business day shipping process and rarely found in stores.
A couple Anker products I had in my car I figured I post here

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top