BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or just start delivering it every other day, rather than daily.

Viola - Instant 50% reduction in fuel costs - and similar reductions in vehicle wear, and mailman payroll budget.
View Quote

At my old place the post office shut down.  Claimed they couldn't afford rent or something.  At the time, everybody in town had PO boxes (pop under 200).  The rural route still got mail to their door.  So here I am living within spitting distance of the post office.  Cut through the yard across the street and you were there.  Working 5-6 days a week (PO closed after hours) and if I was lucky, I could walk down and pick up my mail on Saturday morning. If I had to work Saturday, it might be 2-3 weeks before I could pick up my mail.

Anyways, I suggested making the people on the rural route get a PO box as well or skip delivery days.  That went over like a turd in a punch bowl.  People came unglued.  "We can't do that, that would be too hard for them to get their mail".  You don't say...  I pay the same for a stamp as they do and I can't get mine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You aren't a Letter Carrier! Daily my LLV carriers over a ton to start the day (that's only 50 40lb packages low average is 150 daily). One of the many reasons the PO trucks are POS, overloaded an under maintained.  An Rual Carriers have it worse. Electric can't do it or UPS would! Maintenance is a big problem just with the current fleet. Our trucks see a local shop that wins the bid for simple stuff. Other than that, it's a five-hour trip on a wrecker to the PO shop.

Yes, the new truck is purpose built, without an Electric Drive Train! If EV are forced on USPS, it will be a bigger clusterfuck then the Amazon contract.
View Quote

LLV's are rated for 1000 lbs of payload, and before you say it. The test was to haul 1 ton for half the test.  That's for the approval test.  Not the intended daily use. The test also required it to run 20hrs a day.  How often do you pull a 20hr shift?

UPS is a different use case.  They aren't stopping at every house and are generally carrying larger packages, requiring a larger vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe they should have a diesel??   Works great with high torque like starts and stops, and would roll nut coal around spandex cyclists blocking the mailbox route.

If they went with a hybrid method, the electric batteries would be recharged on board with diesel generators.. kinda like a train.  Run the diesels on the routes where you can, and electric where you can't run diesels.  School buses run  on diesels and the liberals don't say a damn thing about them..

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would think a mail truck would be a nearly ideal application for hybrid/electric/regen brakes.
View Quote
regen does shit all to recharge, TFL got 1% per 4 miles of 8% grade one the Rivian truck.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did it have to stop and go every 20 feet also?
View Quote
Well it was a Chevy so yes. I know mine did.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do we still have USPS?
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you want your mail or do you want your delivery vehicle sitting on a charger?  That MPG number is low due to stops every 100 yards. That is a nice improvement and reduction in fuel cost
View Quote

Just imagine if the post tards had to walk a route like the old days.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/NGDVfrontLeft-scaled-800x800.jpg

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/02/the-epa-and-white-house-take-fire-at-inefficient-new-mail-trucks/?amp=1

The United States Post Office's plan to replace its aging delivery vehicles has been heavily criticized by the Environmental Protection Agency and the White House Council on Environmental Quality. The letters, first published by The Washington Post on Tuesday, excoriate the decision to award a $482 million contract to Oshkosh Defense without properly examining the environmental impact, as required by law.

Specifically, the EPA says that the USPS's required environmental impact report "does not disclose essential information underlying the key analysis of Total Cost of Ownership (TCO), underestimates greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, fails to consider more environmentally protective feasible alternatives, and inadequately considers impacts on communities with environmental justice concerns."

Or, as the Chair of the CEQ wrote in a letter to Postmaster Louis DeJoy, his "agency committed to walk down a path before looking to see where the path was leading," in contravention of longstanding practices and laws.

When the USPS first announced the contract with Oshkosh in February 2021, it said the plan was to purchase between 50,000 and 160,000 Next Generation Delivery Vehicles. These, we were told, would be a mixed fleet. Some battery-electric vehicles, others using "fuel-efficient internal combustion engines" with an ability to be converted at a later date, "to keep pace with advances in electric vehicle technology," it said.

Within a few hours, expectations were significantly downgraded with the clarification that only 10 percent of the planned NGDVs would be electric, but the EPA says things are even worse than that. Oshkosh's proposed vehicle will only average 8.6 mpg (27.35 L/100 km) according to the EPA, a barely noticeable improvement on the current Grumman-made LLV trucks, which average 8.2 mpg (28.68 L/100 km). And there is no plan to convert any internal combustion-engined NGDVs to battery electric.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/simpsons_nelson_haha2-36.jpg

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif
View Quote
It looks like a duckbilled platypus with wheels.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Honestly, mail trucks are one of those things where an electric is going to be useful. Solar panel the top. Start/stop doesn't matter to Electric engines.
View Quote
Stop and go actually does matter to EVs. They have plenty of instantaneous torque but that torque comes at the cost of increased current draw.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Honestly, mail trucks are one of those things where an electric is going to be useful. Solar panel the top.
View Quote

Any solar panel small enough to fit on the roof would be doing good to give you an extra 5 minutes of driving time per day - assuming you always stay in direct sunlight.

Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fuck, Take a US built Toyota Camry or Tacoma and put that box body on it.  Fucking done!
View Quote

Hate to break it to you, but all the Tacomas are going to be Hecho en Mexico here pretty soon.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MikeS369:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeS369:
Quoted:
Do you want your mail or do you want your delivery vehicle sitting on a charger?  That MPG number is low due to stops every 100 yards. That is a nice improvement and reduction in fuel cost

Thousands of them do, everyday.

ETA: They do, for 6 days. Package deliver only on Sunday… typically..
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if the old trucks will be available for sale.

Quoted:
Why do we still have USPS?
View Quote

The post office is something the government is required to do by the constitution.
They could, in theory, contract out the actual delivery.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Viola - Instant 50% reduction in fuel costs - and similar reductions in vehicle wear, and mailman payroll budget.
View Quote

Lol no. It’s impossible.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's an idea, stop sending me mail.

Except they would have twice as much to deliver on the delivery days so they would require more people and more trucks and pretty much back to square one.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top