Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guinea hen
Natural born tick killer.
And man those things are loud
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I like them, but never could get them to last. The first time I got some, they were mean to the chickens (chased them away from the coop as roost time approached), and were too stupid to go in and roost themselves. They'd fly up on top of the run, drop down behind it, then ran back and forth trying to get in. I'd slowly work them back around to the front, where they'd walk past the open gate and fly over again.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Years later I tried again, and tried to keep them outside. I released them on top of the goat pen, hoping they'd roost in the trees above. They stayed on the pen at night, and all got killed in a matter of days.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

We're near some creek bottoms, and there's an endless supply of predators. Possums, Raccoons, Foxes, and Bobcats are the main fowl-killers around here.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Back in the '60s and '70s, Guinea fowl were allowed to roam freely around the San Diego Zoo (along with Bantam chickens, Peafowl, and several other species.)  The birds did a very good job taking care of ticks, spiders, pest insects, etc. so the keepers told me.  But little kids would get pecked occasionally.
View Quote
Peacocks are still here walking around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Guinea hen
View Quote
Yep...wood tick eating machines too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hard thing is keeping them out of the road.
View Quote
Its hard to believe there is an animal dumber than a chicken, but there is.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Guinea hen..lol they make great watchdogs, err watchbirds until you want to shoot the fuckers.
View Quote
TRUTH lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So I'd never seen them until some years after my sister had geese and emus.

I saw a guinea hen and thought this is what happens when you don't keep your fucking weird ass birds separated. I was worried her ranch was like some sort of fucked up Jurassic Park until she told me about guinea hens.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Horse stables around me love them for bug control.
Had a good gig selling day old keets( chicks).
I would buy eggs for $2/ dozen, and sell day olds for $5/ chick.

Market got saturated after a few years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like them, but never could get them to last. The first time I got some, they were mean to the chickens (chased them away from the coop as roost time approached), and were too stupid to go in and roost themselves. They'd fly up on top of the run, drop down behind it, then ran back and forth trying to get in. I'd slowly work them back around to the front, where they'd walk past the open gate and fly over again.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/2012-8-15_Guineas__2__jpg-892565.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/2012-8-15_Guineas__1__jpg-892563.JPG

Years later I tried again, and tried to keep them outside. I released them on top of the goat pen, hoping they'd roost in the trees above. They stayed on the pen at night, and all got killed in a matter of days.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/2017-6-2_Jacobs_Cave_Guineas__1__jpg-892569.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/20170604_173506_jpg-892572.JPG

We're near some creek bottoms, and there's an endless supply of predators. Possums, Raccoons, Foxes, and Bobcats are the main fowl-killers around here.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/20170403_Raccoon_jpg-892574.JPG
View Quote
I hope you killed the raccoon.  Can’t stand them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guinea hen
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
A snipe.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you live in Hialeah?
View Quote
My shop is in Hialeah
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top