Quoted:

Yeah, let's get back to this.

Has anyone asked her what she wants?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you asked her what her parents are telling her about sending her home with you all the time?  
It doesn't make any sense plus it's creepy plus does she even want to be there?  It was asked before but I didn't see it addressed,  can she make her own decisions because NONE of you people are acting like she can have a say on this.

It's like he's talking about a poodle.

Oh, they told me I could keep her for the night so I did
She snuck in my bed and snuggled me
Brought her back again,  might as well keep her

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's really bizarre.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is like when old people still use outdated terms for POC. Culture changes, the world changes, accept it because it’s the truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would be preferable, "slow"?

Per the Global Down Syndrome Foundation

ANd that took me longer to link to it than to find it.

Those are all just synonyms. In 20 years, people will be outraged by them as they come up with new "acceptable" terms.

OK, she's literally "developmentally disabled."

What has that changed?

OP is a young guy like me, we’ve grown up in world that the R word is considered very hurtful. It’s something we’ve been taught since childhood. I assume you’re from an older generation that hasn’t accepted that yes, words can be hurtful. Just because someone is differently abled doesn’t mean that they don’t have feelings and aren’t hurt by the R word. They understand and In fact they probably understand better than you or I will ever be able to.

If one guy is really good at golf, and another guy is really good at football. They are "differently abled."

We are specifically dealing with a disability that impedes... limits... dare I say "retards..." mental development and function. Beating around the bush about that misses the entire point as to why this is so godawful inappropriate.

This is like when old people still use outdated terms for POC. Culture changes, the world changes, accept it because it’s the truth.

POC, words hurtful, differently abled.  W in the F. Are you on the right website?  You have the woke lefty language down pat
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine has two sons.  The younger is as smart as he wants to be and will do very well in life.
The oldest looks normal; no obvious signs of “Down’s”, can carry on a social conversation and is a decent young man.  But with an extended conversation you can tell something is a little “off”.  Turns out, he’s “on the spectrum”.  
He’s not an idiot, but Dad realizes that the oldest will not be capable of doing the type of work we do or make the kind of money we make.  
Grocery store analogy: he’s capable of being more than being a sweeper, cart boy, or bag boy.  With extended training, say he could eventually run the produce department.  Probably wouldn’t want him running the deli.   This isn’t to belittle grocery store workers; there are no small jobs.      
Welding shop analogy: probably could be taught to fit and weld a piece of pipe with a spool on one end and a 90°ell on the other in the shop.  You wouldn’t want to put him in an industrial setting and tell him to build page 87 from the blueprints.  
You could probably get him running a small business like a hamburger, hot dog, snow cone type business; but you’d have to watch it closely so he wouldn’t get taken advantage of by someone.  “Hey man, can you cash my paycheck?”  “Hey man, can you loan me $50 till payday?  I’ll pay you back.”   Functionally capable and willing; but gullible and trusting.  Probably would get rattled in a confrontation or threatened by a stranger, or a serious emergency.      
This young man isn’t an idiot and is aware of what is going on; but also realizes some of his limitations also.  
And we all know that there are people that would take advantage of someone like this in a microsecond.  

personally, I’d prefer a woman with a sweet disposition that is not close to “engineer smart” than one that is smart and overbearing.  As a side note; some engineers can be a little...ahh… “quirky”.        

The retard comments are inappropriate.  No one knows to what extent the lady’s “developmental disability” is.  In the case above the young man is capable of learning but after a little bit you’d figure out he would be considered by the majority of us as “slow”.  But by no means a window licker or Deliverance level.  I would guess Elon Musk or business Fortune 500 CEOs would consider the majority of us as “slow” or retards.    
Sounds like the father saw someone that might be decent and good to his daughter if they hit it off; instead of a shitbag that would take advantage of her.  
The mother’s deal with the daughter is a bit odd though.  Sounds like she’s pushing too hard, too fast.  Hope she hasn’t done this bs before. It's weird.
+1 with what TechGal said.  
Let them figure it out between themselves.      
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

POC, words hurtful, differently abled.  W in the F. Are you on the right website?  You have the woke lefty language down pat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would be preferable, "slow"?

Per the Global Down Syndrome Foundation

ANd that took me longer to link to it than to find it.

Those are all just synonyms. In 20 years, people will be outraged by them as they come up with new "acceptable" terms.

OK, she's literally "developmentally disabled."

What has that changed?

OP is a young guy like me, we’ve grown up in world that the R word is considered very hurtful. It’s something we’ve been taught since childhood. I assume you’re from an older generation that hasn’t accepted that yes, words can be hurtful. Just because someone is differently abled doesn’t mean that they don’t have feelings and aren’t hurt by the R word. They understand and In fact they probably understand better than you or I will ever be able to.

If one guy is really good at golf, and another guy is really good at football. They are "differently abled."

We are specifically dealing with a disability that impedes... limits... dare I say "retards..." mental development and function. Beating around the bush about that misses the entire point as to why this is so godawful inappropriate.

I’m just trying to sort out what’s going on with OP, I don’t want this young lady to get hurt or taken advantage of.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, it's long been an insult to imply that someone who does not have a legitimate developmental disability" has a "developmental disability." But this is a case of a woman who literally has a "developmental disability." But, I'm the bad guy for pointing it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said she was literally retarded.

You turned around and said I called her a "retard."

It's very apparent what you are doing.

Now, if you care to demonstrate how mental retardation is not a symptom of Down's Syndrome, I'm all ears.. full-sized ones, at that.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but calling someone "retarded" has been an insult since I was a kid, MANY decades ago. Don't be an ass.

Yes, it's long been an insult to imply that someone who does not have a legitimate developmental disability" has a "developmental disability." But this is a case of a woman who literally has a "developmental disability." But, I'm the bad guy for pointing it out.

See, your subsequent posts after me saying not to be an ass, seem a lot like you have decided to be an ass while claiming you're not one. Maybe you're ok in person, I dunno, but here online you employed a common insult to describe someone whose condition you have no real knowledge of, who also happens to be a member's romantic(?) interest. I think that is a bad way to go, and may hit CoC, but you do you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

See, your subsequent posts after me saying not to be an ass, seem a lot like you have decided to be an ass while claiming you're not one. Maybe you're ok in person, I dunno, but here online you employed a common insult to describe someone whose condition you have no real knowledge of, who also happens to be a member's romantic(?) interest. I think that is a bad way to go, and may hit CoC, but you do you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said she was literally retarded.

You turned around and said I called her a "retard."

It's very apparent what you are doing.

Now, if you care to demonstrate how mental retardation is not a symptom of Down's Syndrome, I'm all ears.. full-sized ones, at that.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but calling someone "retarded" has been an insult since I was a kid, MANY decades ago. Don't be an ass.

Oh, I'm gaining a lot of knowledge about a lot of conditions in this thread.

Also, a lot of insight into the motivations for controlling language.

The only difference between this nonsense and all the deadnaming, dead gendering nonsense that went on on Twitter is that we're a decade behind in the propagandizing.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Will you two get a room and stop derailing this thread?

OP, where do you see this relationship heading?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I haven't seen it, heard great things from most but the complaints seem to be vague and petty
View Quote

My wife went and saw it with a bunch of her friends.  All 80's babies, bought Barbie tshirts, went to brunch before the movie, they made a whole thing about.  They were all super excited to see it.  She got home and I asked her if she had fun.  She told me they all had a blast but the movie was terrible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you asked her what her parents are telling her about sending her home with you all the time?  
It doesn't make any sense plus it's creepy plus does she even want to be there?  It was asked before but I didn't see it addressed,  can she make her own decisions because NONE of you people are acting like she can have a say on this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
butwhy.gif
View Quote

Pussy is a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, is she spending the night at your place again? If yes then do you feel like she is trying to move in? 3 days in a row is moving kinda fast for a new relationship.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was on a date
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're fucking with us right?

I was on a date

Was he good looking?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Was he good looking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was on a date

Was he good looking?

I know it’s frustrating trying to get information from OP but you don’t have to be cruel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Jesus Fuckin Christ. Sugar coat it all you want but retarded is retarded.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#17]
So, tonight her parents are dropping her off at my place and leaving town for the weekend.
She'll be staying with me .
If she's up for it she'll be sleeping in my bed and most likely we'll be having sex .
It will be her choice on what happens.
I do have feelings for her
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Retarded trolls, or trolls are retarded for $870 Alex.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
The m9vie should have been a lot better, like Elf or Christmas Story better. The philosophizing was lame. Droll, boring old Jewish woman character not believable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are a democracy here.  Lodge your vote.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So, tonight her parents are dropping her off at my place and leaving town for the weekend.
If she's up for it she'll be sleeping in my bed and most likely we'll be having sex .
View Quote

You know it's Wednesday right? Middle of the week and all.... weekend?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

We’ve already discussed why it’s hurtful to use the R word. Please try to control your emotions and use better language so nobody gets their feelings hurt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Retards can't keep count.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Well that escalated quickly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

We work Monday through thursday, tomorrow is the weekend .
Any other things you may want to pick at that you know nothing about?.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We’ve already discussed why it’s hurtful to use the R word. Please try to control your emotions and use better language so nobody gets their feelings hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My cousin is retarded, has been for his 35 years. He holds a job bringing carts back at the grocery. He's perfectly fine unless you leave him alone in 18 inches of water or he will kill himself, no self-preservation mechanism.

Trust me, he doesn't understand what retarded is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We work Monday through thursday, tomorrow is the weekend .
Any other things you may want to pick at that you know nothing about?.
View Quote

Wednesday... makes tomorrow Thursday... which you just said you work on...
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My cousin is retarded, has been for his 35 years. He holds a job bringing carts back at the grocery. He's perfectly fine unless you leave him alone in 18 inches of water or he will kill himself, no self-preservation mechanism.

View Quote

I volunteered with Buddy Ball for many years, the differently abled do understand and they have biggest hearts so they hurt the most when people use outdated terms like the R word.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#29]
This is a classic.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#30]
[double post]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

So her parents are treating you like a sex surrogate?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's more like sex summer camp.

They are probably enjoying an empty nest and doing all of the freaky stuff they can't do while she's there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a progression for two people seeing each other these days.

Not my jam.  But it's legal.  So who gets to be the morality police?  It's not some fucking drag queen dancing for a kid.  

I dunno man.  We live in a confusing world.  I'm not sure this is one of the things to break out my self righteousness over??
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I volunteered with Buddy Ball for many years, the differently abled do understand and they have biggest hearts so they hurt the most when people use outdated terms like the R word.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I've done work at a hospital in the 90s full of low IQ kids, and sat down at lunch with different kids every day.

They were all retarded. Not trying to hurt feelings but a sub 80 IQ is what it is.

If you feel the need to go fuck one go ahead, just know it isn't right.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And I've done work at a hospital in the 90s full of low IQ kids, and sat down at lunch with different kids every day.

They were all retarded. Not trying to hurt feelings but a sub 80 IQ is what it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a LDGF and would never cheat on her, plus I have no intention of taking advantage of a differently abled person. I’m just here trying to make sure OP doesn’t do something he regrets.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have a LDGF and would never cheat on her, plus I have no intention of taking advantage of a differently abled person. I’m just here trying to make sure OP doesn’t do something he regrets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's a long distance girlfriend and you not cheating even come up in this conversation?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Like slipping up on dates and ages that show he's just a troll?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#38]
This shit has gotten completely out of hand

And it’s fucking hilarious
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This shit has gotten completely out of hand

And it’s fucking hilarious
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How's a long distance girlfriend and you not cheating even come up in this conversation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your nasty comment about fucking an R word
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes no sense. It's actually kinda tarded.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can sniff out a troll from a mile away and I’m not going to waste another second on you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I can sniff out a troll from a mile away and I’m not going to waste another second on you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet, don't fuck that retarded girl.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I know it’s frustrating trying to get information from OP but you don’t have to be cruel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was on a date

Was he good looking?

Go on..
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not my jam.  But it's legal.  So who gets to be the morality police?  It's not some fucking drag queen dancing for a kid.  

I dunno man.  We live in a confusing world.  I'm not sure this is one of the things to break out my self righteousness over??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A friend of mine has two sons.  The younger is as smart as he wants to be and will do very well in life.
The oldest looks normal; no obvious signs of “Down’s”, can carry on a social conversation and is a decent young man.  But with an extended conversation you can tell something is a little “off”.  Turns out, he’s “on the spectrum”.  
He’s not an idiot, but Dad realizes that the oldest will not be capable of doing the type of work we do or make the kind of money we make.  
Grocery store analogy: he’s capable of being more than being a sweeper, cart boy, or bag boy.  With extended training, say he could eventually run the produce department.  Probably wouldn’t want him running the deli.   This isn’t to belittle grocery store workers; there are no small jobs.      
Welding shop analogy: probably could be taught to fit and weld a piece of pipe with a spool on one end and a 90°ell on the other in the shop.  You wouldn’t want to put him in an industrial setting and tell him to build page 87 from the blueprints.  
You could probably get him running a small business like a hamburger, hot dog, snow cone type business; but you’d have to watch it closely so he wouldn’t get taken advantage of by someone.  “Hey man, can you cash my paycheck?”  “Hey man, can you loan me $50 till payday?  I’ll pay you back.”   Functionally capable and willing; but gullible and trusting.  Probably would get rattled in a confrontation or threatened by a stranger, or a serious emergency.      
This young man isn’t an idiot and is aware of what is going on; but also realizes some of his limitations also.  
And we all know that there are people that would take advantage of someone like this in a microsecond.  

personally, I’d prefer a woman with a sweet disposition that is not close to “engineer smart” than one that is smart and overbearing.  As a side note; some engineers can be a little...ahh… “quirky”.        

The retard comments are inappropriate.  No one knows to what extent the lady’s “developmental disability” is.  In the case above the young man is capable of learning but after a little bit you’d figure out he would be considered by the majority of us as “slow”.  But by no means a window licker or Deliverance level.  I would guess Elon Musk or business Fortune 500 CEOs would consider the majority of us as “slow” or retards.    
Sounds like the father saw someone that might be decent and good to his daughter if they hit it off; instead of a shitbag that would take advantage of her.  
The mother’s deal with the daughter is a bit odd though.  Sounds like she’s pushing too hard, too fast.  Hope she hasn’t done this bs before. It's weird.
+1 with what TechGal said.  
Let them figure it out between themselves.      
View Quote

Cliffs because godamn.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh yeah baby! Two more pages.
Its like watching a master paint.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
So what's the meal plan since it seems this is the longest she's stayed with you? Have you taken her out to a restaurant yet?

Smoke her a brisket and she love you long time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We've always been at war with Eastasia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When was the doctor practicing? 1939?

I mean... it was a decade ago when it was officially  changed to "intellectual disability"

We've always been at war with Eastasia.

In Ohio, I think they changed the name of the various county Boards of Mental Retardation about ten years ago.  It wasn't that long ago.  Now they are the various Boards of Developmental Disabilities.  I guess this very important work has made a lot of people feel good or something.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top