BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you rely on context to protect you from something that is this ugly and offensive without that context, you are quite the fool.  Zero thought is putting yourself at the mercy of public outrage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm torn between "they are idiots that should have known better given the political climate" and "why do people care about stupid shit like this so much that they fire people over it?"
Time out.

We should absolutely care when government employees do a Nazi salute. Just like we were all outraged when government employees did the black power salute.
Context is everything.

Refusing to consider context is refusing to think.

Zero tolerance is zero thought.
If you rely on context to protect you from something that is this ugly and offensive without that context, you are quite the fool.  Zero thought is putting yourself at the mercy of public outrage.
Accepting and embracing the current state of affairs is nothing you should ever expect from me. Using the current state of affairs to perpetuate the madness is the epitome of evil. It’s the epitome of bureaucratic malfeasance. That we call this “leadership” today is one of many indicators we have forgotten what that means.

What are the facts as we know them?

Who is to blame?

What are the optics?

How do you address the optics without applying mass punishment to people who clearly are not secretly advancing Nazism?

Not by what was done here. Not at all by what was done here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Documented proof that several students resisted even doing the photo, were compelled to, and clearly on their own are making gesture not at all reminiscent of the Nazi salute, and yet they are all equally fired.

Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Accepting and embracing the current state of affairs is nothing you should ever expect from me. Using the current state of affairs to perpetuate the madness is the epitome of evil. It’s the epitome of bureaucratic malfeasance. That we call this “leadership” today is one of many indicators we have forgotten what that means.

Who is to blame?

What are the optics?

How do you address the optics without applying mass punishment to people who clearly are not secretly advancing Nazism?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm torn between "they are idiots that should have known better given the political climate" and "why do people care about stupid shit like this so much that they fire people over it?"
Time out.

We should absolutely care when government employees do a Nazi salute. Just like we were all outraged when government employees did the black power salute.
Context is everything.

Who is to blame?

What are the optics?

They were not fired for advancing Nazism, and nobody thinks that's what they were doing.  They were fired for bringing unfavorable attention onto their employer, using obviously bad judgement, and compromising their ability to defend any future actions during the performance of their duties, that may be called into question by this picture.   It's unfortunate that the current PC environment exists, but it does.  It's fine to say that you stand against it as an individual, but how far are you willing to go?  Everyone that was aware of the photo and did nothing, was fired.  If their boss had not fired them, HE would have been fired, too.  No, it's not right, but it's the fault of the idiots in the picture.  So who gets fired?  That's the real world, and you can't change it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Documented proof that several students resisted even doing the photo, were compelled to, and clearly on their own are making gesture not at all reminiscent of the Nazi salute, and yet they are all equally fired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It wasn't zero tolerance of the act that got them fired.  It was zero tolerance of having to deal with the fallout, by their supervisors.   That will get you fired every time, and has nothing to do with PC.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They were not fired for advancing Nazism, and nobody thinks that's what they were doing.  They were fired for bringing unfavorable attention onto their employer, using obviously bad judgement, and compromising their ability to defend any future actions during the performance of their duties, that may be called into question by this picture.   It's unfortunate that the current PC environment exists, but it does.  It's fine to say that you stand against it as an individual, but how far are you willing to go?  Everyone that was aware of the photo and did nothing, was fired.  If their boss had not fired them, HE would have been fired, too.  No, it's not right, but it's the fault of the idiots in the picture.  So who gets fired?  That's the real world, and you can't change it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time out.

Context is everything.

Who is to blame?

What are the optics?

To paraphrase the song, I don’t want to change the world. I just refuse to let the world change me. And, I look down upon those who use the world as an excuse for their own actions other inactions.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It wasn't zero tolerance of the act that got them fired.  It was zero tolerance of having to deal with the fallout, by their supervisors.   That will get you fired every time, and has nothing to do with PC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s literally a dude in the back row making a Boy Scout sign.

He got fired.

Think.

It’s a revolutionary idea.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wonder what is employer would think he sported a stache aka Hitler style.
View Quote
Facial hair isn't racist.

Nazi salutes are.

If you really can't tell the difference then I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He got fired.

Think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He got fired.

Think.

He participated and said nothing.  But yeah, he was just following orders.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He got fired.

Think.

The investigation revealed that several classmembers protested the thing repeatedly, and were repeatedly shut down by staff. Then, instead of anything resembling vindication, they all get fired.

Don’t accuse me of this “just following orders” bullshit. Yours is the mentality that encapsulates that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The investigation revealed that several classmembers protested the thing repeatedly, and were repeatedly shut down by staff. Then, instead of anything resembling vindication, they all get fired.

Don’t accuse me of this “just following orders” bullshit. Yours is the mentality that encapsulates that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He got fired.

Think.

I didn't accuse you of anything.  

Mine isn't a mentality.  It's realty.  If you are a new-hire, and you put your employer in an embarrassing position in which they have to either stick their neck out to defend you, or fire you, what do you think will happen, every time?  You can be outraged over the PC world all you want, but I have no sympathy for people that shoot their own foot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mine isn't a mentality.  It's realty.  If you are a new-hire, and you put your employer in an embarrassing position in which they have to either stick their neck out to defend you, or fire you, what do you think will happen, every time?  You can be outraged over the PC world all you want, but I have no sympathy for people that shoot their own foot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He got fired.

Think.

Dude made a Boy Scout Sign!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He got fired.

Think.

He's participating.  He could have just stood there, or stepped away, but he chose to play along and say nothing.  Again, it is not the actual salute that got them fired.  It's their failure to use their brains.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nazi salutes are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder what is employer would think he sported a stache aka Hitler style.

Nazi salutes are.

I bet an employer wouldn't like it however.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
What is your point exactly?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Whats with the 2 random lunch ladies sitting on either side of the group
View Quote
I don’t know for sure but I think ALL DCR employees have to go through the academy.

It’s likely they are non uniformed support staff.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't think they are Nazi's but firer them for being dumbasses.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Summary of the report:

The black student started it "as a sign of respect for Byrd."  

Instructor knew about it, encouraged it, and directed the students to do it.

Director of the program saw the photo and let it get sent out anyway.

Four instructors knew of the behavior and did nothing about it.  They're fired too.

Byrd lied her ass off to the investigators.  They called her on it.

Sooooo much fail here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He's participating.  He could have just stood there, or stepped away, but he chose to play along and say nothing.  Again, it is not the actual salute that got them fired.  It's their failure to use their brains.
View Quote
Yeah...the military teaches everyone that illegal/immoral orders are NOT to be obeyed.  I would assume that a public safety officer would get the same message.

These folks are were going to be COs.  I would expect them to have at least the level of guts to tell the instructor "Go ahead and not graduate me for this, we'll see how that plays on Fox News tomorrow."
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're being ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LOL!   I can't believe that not a single person in that group saw anything wrong with that idea.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/west-virginia-governor-approves-firing-employees-nazi-salute

https://a57.foxnews.com/static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/content/uploads/2019/12/1024/576/10a99597-191205-conduct-unbecoming-officers-ac-618p_47069b1b514e74206aec7df3ca12ad90.fit-1240w-1.jpg?tl=1&ve=1

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice on Monday approved the termination of dozens of Corrections Academy trainees seen in a photograph appearing to give a Nazi salute.

The photograph, released publicly earlier this month by the West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, showed more than 30 trainees from Basic Training Class 18 with their arms raised in a salute. The caption "Hail Byrd!"  a reference to the trainees' instructor  is visible above the group.
View Quote
Fuck the stupid is strong on this one...and it wasn't by the New Centurian 'All Hail Caesar' guys. This is as stupid as those that fell for the 'Okay' sign being a white supremacist hand signal.

Dat ol' Chan done stuck again....

Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you fucking kidding? Those are public servants. Doing a nazi salute... IN UNIFORM. And you're good with that?
View Quote
You think waaaay too highly of prison guards.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@CCLJ03

I was going to ask the same of you.

I never said the salute wasn't racist...
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
People don't want to hire people that will make them look stupid down the road.

This stunt was stupid. Stupid is going to hurt. Hopefully they sort themselves out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you fucking kidding? Those are public servants. Doing a nazi salute... IN UNIFORM. And you're good with that?
@MHowski

Be nice now to us Correctional professionals please. Every job has it's lemmings.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@MHowski

Be nice now to us Correctional professionals please. Every job has it's lemmings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@MHowski

Ok sorry.  I was a CO for a couple years a loong time ago, sometimes I think it gives me special privileges.  But I know some of you guys here are high speed.  Plus I’m drunk.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ok sorry.  I was a CO for a couple years a loong time ago, sometimes I think it gives me special privileges.  But I know some of you guys here are high speed.  Plus I’m drunk.
View Quote
@MHowski

It's all good sir.  The Correctional field had changed in my almost three decades of service.  The "uneducated turn key" type don't cut it unless you work in private corrections where you can't tell the staff from the inmates. Happy New Year to you!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You're being ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're being ridiculous.
And yet, they are fired.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw this on the news earlier and I was like wtf nobody can be that Dumb

They really did it
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top