Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2019 12:42:49 AM EDT
Seeing if I can put together a meal plan with enough variety that does not require ice/refrigeration.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Spam, mre's, Mountain House, jerky, trail mix.  Also those cracker & canned meat combo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spam, mre's, trail mix.
View Quote
Trying to avoid dehydrated/mres.

Stuff like this

Apples
Onions
Pasta/Canned Tomato Sauce
Chili
Beef Jerkey
Dried Fruits
Potatoes/Instant Potatoes
Sweet Corn
Green Beans
Corn
Baked Beans
Canned Soup
Chips (small bags)
Peanuts/Pistachios/Trail Mix
Beef Jerkey
Chips/Salsa
Snack Bars
Nuts
Campfire Pie Iron
Cherry Pie Filling
Instant Noodle Cups
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Ranch style beans.
Canned chicken or beef.
Trail mix.
Most anything Chief Boyardi.
Prezels.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Just bring canned food and nuts/Trail mix.

With canned food and a dutch oven you can literally make 99% of all your favorite recipes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever I can get with a 10/22 or fishing rod.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:00:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bridger-Teton national forest.

Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Salami, pepperoni, hard cheese (for at least the first day depending upon temperature), nuts, and protein bars serve as the bulk of my outdoor diet. Oh, and a little beer or whiskey.

I'm pretty damned lazy when it comes to food while backpacking. I want as many calories as possible in a dense but light package, with minimal mess to deal with.

If I'm by the car I'll bring a cooler and cook fresh meats and veggies, which can remain good for several days with a little thought. Maybe. If I'm not feeling lazy enough to go with the items in my first paragraph.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Backpacking or car camping or dry cabin or what? What do you have to cook with, if anything?

If you're not focused on weight, well -- load up on canned stuff, bread, PB&J, pop tarts, slim jims, spam,
spray cheese and saltines, canned cooked chicken and tuna, etc.

When I hit the dry cabin it's pretty much a junk food buffet. Pop tarts, PB&J and jerky or meat sticks for
more protein are pretty tasty when you're in the middle of nowhere. Usually I bring up a real sandwich
to start the trip before switching to the junk, and keep a couple good, protein-rich meals.

All will keep for a week with no fridge. If you have a camp fire, just cook the stuff straight in the can,
spaghetti-o's, soup, chili, you name it. Tuna and chicken are great straight from the can, even without
heating.

Once you throw weight into it, the equation changes a lot and my choices switch to freeze-dried
mountain house stuff, jerky, trail mix and the like.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Van Camps Beanie Weanies
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:04:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you coming out?

Also what area are you camping?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:14:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Homemade cookies
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Salami, pepperoni, hard cheese (for at least the first day depending upon temperature), nuts, and protein bars serve as the bulk of my outdoor diet. Oh, and a little beer or whiskey.

I'm pretty damned lazy when it comes to food while backpacking. I want as many calories as possible in a dense but light package, with minimal mess to deal with.

If I'm by the car I'll bring a cooler and cook fresh meats and veggies, which can remain good for several days with a little thought. Maybe. If I'm not feeling lazy enough to go with the items in my first paragraph.
View Quote
I'll second this, along with summer sausage, dried fruit (mango, papaya, apple, apricot, etc...).

Another couple of interesting things I found recently is that Idahoan instant mashed potatoes have quite a few good flavor varieties, like Smokey Cheese & Bacon, or Bacon & Cheddar Chipotle. Very lightweight, and all you need is boiling water.

Another good one if you're tired of trail mix is gourmet macaroni and cheese boxes. A bit bulky, but can be reduced in size using ziplock bags. All you have to do is boil the noodles and stir in the packet of cheese sauce; no butter or milk required. Walmart actually has some decent flavor options, and there are a few higher end brands as well.

I also like to bring some ramen, but not the generic stuff. Go to an asian market and get the real stuff; I'm partial to the MaMa brand myself, or Nongshim Neoguri.

There is a bit more clean up involved with these options, but I prefer flavor and variety so it's worth it to me. On the bright side, everything I listed except the fruit only requires hot water to prepare.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll second this, along with summer sausage, dried fruit (mango, papaya, apple, apricot, etc...).

Another couple of interesting things I found recently is that Idahoan instant mashed potatoes have quite a few good flavor varieties, like Smokey Cheese & Bacon, or Bacon & Cheddar Chipotle. Very lightweight, and all you need is boiling water.

Another good one if you're tired of trail mix is gourmet macaroni and cheese boxes. A bit bulky, but can be reduced in size using ziplock bags. All you have to do is boil the noodles and stir in the packet of cheese sauce; no butter or milk required. Walmart actually has some decent flavor options, and there are a few higher end brands as well.

I also like to bring some ramen, but not the generic stuff. Go to an asian market and get the real stuff; I'm partial to the MaMa brand myself, or Nongshim Neoguri.

There is a bit more clean up involved with these options, but I prefer flavor and variety so it's worth it to me. On the bright side, everything I listed except the fruit only requires hot water to prepare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you mention the Idahoan instant potatoes....I've eaten a lot of ramen for dehydrated back pack meals. So much so that I almost got as sick of it. If you add a tablespoon of the Idahoan flavored potato powder to the ramen as it's cooking it thickens the sauce  and gives the noodles an awesome flavor.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:55:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I hunt in an aired environment, too far to drive into town for ice..so once its gone thats it. So I do this all the time. MRE, Mountain house, Oat meal or any instant oats, dried fruits,  canned meats spam, bacon,chicken being top of the list, shelf stable cheese, pepperoni, summer sausage, mashed potatoes, soups, crackers: pilot being preferred, PBJ,  nutella with banana and honey...trail mix home made. tasty bites line of food, instant rice, pancakes, bannock, nachos( canned cheese, no bean chili, salsa, jalapenos, re fired beans) , tortillas, bread and bagels for making sandwiches, canned evaporated milk, shelf stable milk or powdered milk, instant breakfast drinks, protein powder, biscuits and gravy( sausage gravy mix by McCormick, re constituted beef bits, canned milk, and home made biscuits)canned fruit, apples. I could go on, these are just the stables.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Lol, whiskey and snacks from little Debbie
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#17]
lots of peanut butter and flour tortias..
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Eggs
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Trying to avoid dehydrated/mres.

Stuff like this

Apples
Onions
Pasta/Canned Tomato Sauce
Chili
Beef Jerkey
Dried Fruits
Potatoes/Instant Potatoes
Sweet Corn
Green Beans
Corn
Baked Beans
Canned Soup
Chips (small bags)
Peanuts/Pistachios/Trail Mix
Beef Jerkey
Chips/Salsa
Snack Bars
Nuts
Campfire Pie Iron
Cherry Pie Filling
Instant Noodle Cups
View Quote
Most of this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Most anything Chief Boyardi.
View Quote
“Nice campground you got there. Be a shame if I converted it to a Superfund Site in just 30 minutes.”
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Jerky and whiskey.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Eggs
View Quote
This
Don't forget that if you can keep them from breaking, it's awesome in the morning vs anything else
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Canned beef stew.  Dinty Moore doesn’t suck too bad.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Canned beef stew.  Dinty Moore doesn’t suck too bad.
View Quote
^THIS. As mentioned, Chef Boyardee raviolis, boxed macaroni and cheese (bring powdered milk for this and cereal). Canned sardines, oysters, and kipper snacks. Fig Newtons are always great for snacking and dessert.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Spaghetti/fettuccine with a jar of good spaghetti/pasta sauce served with a bag of dinner rolls and a bottle of red wine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This
Don't forget that if you can keep them from breaking, it's awesome in the morning vs anything else
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eggs
This
Bright shiny clean eggs from the store are probably good for 2-3 days unrefrigerated.

Farm fresh eggs that haven't been washed, with flecks of chicken shit stuck to them, are good for about a month unrefrigerated.  Once you wash them they should go into the fridge.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]
GORP with dark chocolate
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#28]
The foil packets of chicken are great.
Favorite backpacking meal is a packet of chicken and instant potato’s. Will feed two normal people.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#29]
White Castle
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Instant rice and foil pack of tuna
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#32]
slim jims
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#33]
As long as you don't forget the canned bacon, the rest don't matter! If you have never tried it, you're in for a treat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#34]
trout
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Eggs don't need refrigeration. Bacon can go a couple days. Steak can  make it to the first night.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Salmon Packets

Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The foil packets of chicken are great.
Favorite backpacking meal is a packet of chicken and instant potato’s. Will feed two normal people.
View Quote
All  the foil packet stuff is great. It's packed in far less water than cans, so they weight doesn't kill you.

As others have mentioned, cured meats like salami are great. Many cheeses do fine without refrigeration. A long baguette stores nicely on the outside of a pack.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Non-refrigerated camping foods?  I recommend --> MRE Menu XXXVII (2017)  
01  Chili with Beans
02  Beef Shredded in Barbecue Sauce Black Beans in a Seasoned Sauce
03  Chicken, Egg Noodles, and Vegetables, in Sauce
04  Spaghetti with Beef and Sauce
05  Chicken Chunks
06  Beef Taco
07  Brisket Entree
08  Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
09  Beef Stew
10  Chili and Macaroni
11  Vegetable Crumbles with Pasta in Taco Sauce
12  Elbow Macaroni in Tomato Sauce
13  Cheese Tortellini in Tomato Sauce
14  Creamy Spinach Fettuccine
15  Mexican Style Chicken Stew
16  Chicken Burrito Bowl
17  Maple Pork Sausage Patty
18  Beef Ravioli in Meat Sauce
19  Beef Patty, Grilled, Jalapeno Pepper Jack
20  Hash Brown Potatoes with Bacon, Peppers and Onions
21  Lemon Pepper Tuna
22  Asian Beef Strips with Vegetables
23  Chicken Pesto Pasta
24  Southwest Beef and Black Beans with Sauce
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Dinty Moore stew and rice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Chips potato and corn. Get flavored like salt and vinegar, cheese, Doritos or chili cheese Fritos so you don't have to bring dip.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Spam
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever I can get with a suppressed 10/22 with NVD or fishing rod.

OK now?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Pizza- never camp too far off a main road within the delivery distance of a good local pizzeria and cell coverage.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Canned beef stew.  Dinty Moore doesn't suck too bad.
View Quote
This is required for my elk hunts.  After a few days of scouting, in often crappy weather, getting back to camp at night with temps dropping - it's hard to beat a nice warm bowl of Dinty Moore with some bread.  I'm sure home-made stuff would be awesome, but would already be a few days old by the time I get there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Depends if it’s backpack, canoe, or car camping.

The latter two I would go heavy on canned proteins/meats.  An overnight or two nights backpacking and I would still carry a can or two.

Spam, I like it on rare occasion.

Pouch tuna, less bullshit water in place of tuna flesh.  Dried beef for chipped beef.  Works well with condensed milk.

Canned enchiladas and chili.

I always bring a frozen steak wrapped in newspaper to thaw on the way to camp.  Delays the canned food in the diet.

I avoid carbs except when camping.   It’s less avoidable and you are usually burning it off so it is ok.  Pasta, a bagel packs well.   I used to carry two bagels in the field when I was in the USMCR.  Avoided a beef with bbq sauce breakfast.  I can’t stomach that stuff in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is required for my elk hunts.  After a few days of scouting, in often crappy weather, getting back to camp at night with temps dropping - it's hard to beat a nice warm bowl of Dinty Moore with some bread.  I'm sure home-made stuff would be awesome, but would already be a few days old by the time I get there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Canned beef stew.  Dinty Moore doesn't suck too bad.
You can make your own in canning jars if a pressure canner.    If you cared to.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#47]
... Mountain House
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Leftover cheese pizza for the first day or two. Bag boil meals with lots of hot sauce after that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eggs
This
Yep, my parents had a slew of laying hens.

They would always give me eggs

They keep fine with out refrigeration unlike store bought
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top