Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is this "over medium" thing? I've never heard that phrase.

Is it a western thing? Mid-west?
View Quote

It's a thing all over. But those pictures aren't depicting it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is this "over medium" thing? I've never heard that phrase.

Is it a western thing? Mid-west?
View Quote

It's a "people who cook and eat eggs" thing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"Perfect"
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
GD is in fine form today.
At least we can all agree that ketchup doesn't belong on eggs..
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now you fucking done it.....You KNOW what's coming next!

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course we can, 6 year olds can't use the internet
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I generally loathe ketchup but a little bit on an omelette is good.  And onion rings.  Ketchup on onion rings, not onion rings on eggs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little Whataburger spicy ketchup recipe #2 will do in a pinch if there’s no salsa roja available.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A little Whataburger spicy ketchup recipe #2 will do in a pinch if there’s no salsa roja available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLACK PEPPER AND HOT SAUCE ONLY
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistols at 10 paces?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's worse than that, OP asked "what do you call them", not "what is the proper term".

All hell has broken out since then....and we'll be lucky if we survive this war!

View Quote

I just think it's pretty awesome to have 6 pages of discussion on the labeling for the done-ness of eggs.

My wife will get a chuckle out of this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pistols at 10 paces?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistols at 10 paces?

I'll see you at dawn
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, I love me some Whataburger spicy ketchup (so much so that I order it and keep it on my shelves), I think I would just skip using it on eggs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I hadnt heard anyone call them dippy until i was in my 30s. Was with a buddy hiking western new york and waitress asked how i wanted my eggs and i said over medium she looked very confuses. Buddy says dippy. I was all wtf was that
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Two chefs. He can't handle that he is wrong. But then again a vast majority of the answers in here are also. No one has ever had an over medium egg? A medium boiled egg? They exist....but not in the OP's pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are wrong.

As has already been stated, over easy will have loose whites.

Over medium is solid whites with runny yolks.

Over well is solid yolks.

I love that you’re arguing with an actual chef, and still cling to your position.

Two chefs. He can't handle that he is wrong. But then again a vast majority of the answers in here are also. No one has ever had an over medium egg? A medium boiled egg? They exist....but not in the OP's pics.

With all due respect to our resident chefs, I have seen books and websites define over easy as having "set whites" as well as having "nearly or mostly" set whites.

If you want the yolk entirely raw, ime, you will have at least a small layer of white around the yolk that isn't completely set.

Picking nits, to be sure. And pics in OP are OE.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A little Whataburger spicy ketchup recipe #2 will do in a pinch if there's no salsa roja available.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll see you at dawn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistols at 10 paces?

I'll see you at dawn

Fine, I concede.  I won’t put ketchup on your eggs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistols at 10 paces?

I'll see you at dawn

*angrily puts dualing pistol back in case
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just think it's pretty awesome to have 6 pages of discussion on the labeling for the done-ness of eggs.

My wife will get a chuckle out of this.
View Quote

I have seen two highly decorated chefs have a heated disagreement over how exactly Demi Glacé(highly reduced and rich sauce made from Veal stick) should be made and another disagreement over if Hollandaise really qualifies as a mother sauce.

Chefs take their professional work too seriously sometimes. Lol
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.  Ya know how there are varied levels of cooking the yolk.  Now try to imagine there are varied levels of cooking the white, too.  Can't do it can you? Open your mind to what people are trying to tell you.  It's right there in front of you 50 times in this thread, and you still fight it. lol
View Quote
Cooking terms are defined. We are not going to let you people destroy our ability to get eggs the way we want them because you have no idea what you are talking about and insist on inventing your own terms.

First of all whites and yolks set at different temperatures which allows whole fried eggs to be prepared in various ways.

Jacques Pepin said he judged a chef's skill on his ability to cook eggs. God bless Pepin and his French omelettes.

Fried eggs are whole eggs that are fried with a fat of your choice in a pan, griddle or skillet.

There are 4 or even 5 main subcategories of fried eggs.

Sunny side up is cooked on one side and is not flipped. The whites can be cooked to varying degrees of doneness but the yolk should be runny.

A sunny side up that is basted with fat to help cook the whites may be referred to as a blind egg in some restaurants.

An over easy, over medium, or over hard egg is a fried egg that is flipped over and cooked on both sides. The word over by definition means to flip the egg on both sides. If you cook it on one side only, it isn't referred to as over.

The terms easy, medium and hard following the term over refer to the doneness of the yolk.  Since the yolk cooks at a higher temperature, it's going to be impossible to specify the doneness of the whites to any particular degree for over medium and over hard. An over medium egg will have a soft cooked yolk and an over hard egg will have a well cooked yolk.

An over easy egg gives some leeway in the doneness of the whites. If you want to eat some clear whites you are best off sticking to sunny side up and not ordering over easy eggs unless you are a stubborn person or a troll.

An over easy egg could have a range of white doneness ranging from soft whites to set whites, but the yolk has to be runny or it is no longer an over easy egg. Clearly, you are once again primarily defining the yolk doneness. Most people who order an over easy egg are doing so to have a runny yolk while eliminating visible clear whites. If they really like clear whites, they should order sunny side up or be prepared to be disappointed.

It isn't an over easy egg if you don't flip it any more than a soft boiled egg is the same as a poached egg.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Sunny side up
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Breakfast?
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
that's Over Easy

Sunny Side Up is a dippy egg

Over Medium is over cooked
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Now, I love me some Whataburger spicy ketchup (so much so that I order it and keep it on my shelves), I think I would just skip using it on eggs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recipe #2 uses Tabasco instead of jalapeño I think.  It’s a hot sauce base for sure, just not sure which one.  It’s a different flavor profile.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You can do the same with sunny side up, lower heat & a lid just wait until the runny white is opaque.
View Quote
Yep. The lid cooks the sunny side up egg whites more thoroughly.

This does not turn that egg into an over easy egg no matter what the arf-heathens say.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Recipe #2 uses Tabasco instead of jalapeño I think.  It’s a hot sauce base for sure, just not sure which one.  It’s a different flavor profile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks....off to the Whataburger web store. I needed some more Jalapeno Ranch anyway.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wrong

Over medium is firm white with runny yolks.
View Quote
Arfcom must continually wonder why almost every diner is always serving them soft yolks instead of runny yolks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Incorrect, What you describe is over easy. Easy, Medium and Hard tells you how the yolks are cooked, not the whites.

ETA, from my previous post:
Over easy= fully runny, unset yolk encased by whites. The whites are set; A proper, classical over easy will also have no browning on the whites.

Over medium= partially set yolks encased by whites. The yolks are mainly jelly like and can have a very little bit of liquid yolks. A little color on the whites is acceptable.

Over hard=fully cooked and set yolks. Browning on the whites is expected.

Sunny side up= exposed,  runny yolks with whites fully set under the yolks. I have heard arguments about browning on the whites or not.

These definitions are taught by every Culinary training program and by every quality, skilled Chef I have worked with.

There are many misconceptions on the definition of what egg doneness, which is why I have always avoided cooking breakfast as Chef. You can cook a perfect classical eggs over easy and someone will say "this is wrong, eggs over easy is (insert personal definition)". It is worse than dealing with meat temperatures.
View Quote
We have an actual trained chef with the word chef in his name and Arfcom bases what over easy means because Waffle House serves over easy, and over medium and sometimes even over hard as over easy most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I call them 'Over-Easy', which is what most breakfast dives call them (I have never heard the term over medium), it's the way I make mine if I'm not making them 'Sunny Side Up'
I like my eggs slightly runny.
View Quote

Sunny side up, or over easy, are a little runny.

OPs are closer to over medium--cooked outer layer on both sides of yolk. I used to call them sunny side up until I realized that meant runny.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have seen two highly decorated chefs have a heated disagreement over how exactly Demi Glacé(highly reduced and rich sauce made from Veal stick) should be made and another disagreement over if Hollandaise really qualifies as a mother sauce.

Chefs take their professional work too seriously sometimes. Lol
View Quote

You can NEVER take cooking too seriously!

NEVER!
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Disgusting.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You are wrong.

As has already been stated, over easy will have loose whites.

Over medium is solid whites with runny yolks.

Over well is solid yolks.
View Quote
He's a chef. You can't even figure out that you went straight from runny yolks to solid without the wonder goodness of soft yolks.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Over easy,sunny side up or runny is what we call them.

Good dipping sauce for the bacon,sausage or biscuit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Over medium.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't care how you cook them, just put them on a plate in front of me with a side of bacon, biscuits and gravy, and black coffee.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Over easy
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I love that you're arguing with an actual chef, and still cling to your position.
View Quote
I hate that morons are teaching chef's to give up on preparing good food because we have reached a critical mass of morons.

Fuck self esteem. Bring back expertise and accomplishment. Tell the stupid when they are wrong. It doesn't matter if the morons can't learn. The others will know and learn and prevent us from descending into the hell they will create if unchecked.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

With all due respect to our resident chefs, I have seen books and websites define over easy as having "set whites" as well as having "nearly or mostly" set whites.

If you want the yolk entirely raw, ime, you will have at least a small layer of white around the yolk that isn't completely set.

Picking nits, to be sure. And pics in OP are OE.
View Quote
What you said is not incorrect. You just took the lesson wrong.

Easy, medium, and hard refer to the yolk doneness. The white doneness does not figure at all as a controlled dimension in medium and hard because the focus is on the yolk.

Easy eggs allow some variation in the set of the whites but the yolk is defined as runny. the white doneness is secondary to the yolk doneness.

Think of a shaft with various stepped diameters. We can call out the tolerance of the diameters where a ball or roller bearing race fits to be within a few tenths of a thousandth. Another part of the shaft where a coupling or impeller fits might have a diameter tolerance of two thousandths.

We can callout the straightness of the shaft, and the the concentricity of the various fits.

Each of those specifications must be met. You could have a shaft where all the diameters are in tolerance but the concentricity's aren't met.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You can NEVER take cooking too seriously!

NEVER!
View Quote
Amen.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tabasco ftw.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cooking terms are defined. We are not going to let you people destroy our ability to get eggs the way we want them because you have no idea what you are talking about and insist on inventing your own terms.

First of all whites and yolks set at different temperatures which allows whole fried eggs to be prepared in various ways.

Jacques Pepin said he judged a chef's skill on his ability to cook eggs. God bless Pepin and his French omelettes.

Fried eggs are whole eggs that are fried with a fat of your choice in a pan, griddle or skillet.

There are 4 or even 5 main subcategories of fried eggs.

Sunny side up is cooked on one side and is not flipped. The whites can be cooked to varying degrees of doneness but the yolk should be runny.

A sunny side up that is basted with fat to help cook the whites may be referred to as a blind egg in some restaurants.

An over easy, over medium, or over hard egg is a fried egg that is flipped over and cooked on both sides. The word over by definition means to flip the egg on both sides. If you cook it on one side only, it isn't referred to as over.

The terms easy, medium and hard following the term over refer to the doneness of the yolk.  Since the yolk cooks at a higher temperature, it's going to be impossible to specify the doneness of the whites to any particular degree for over medium and over hard. An over medium egg will have a soft cooked yolk and an over hard egg will have a well cooked yolk.

An over easy egg gives some leeway in the doneness of the whites. If you want to eat some clear whites you are best off sticking to sunny side up and not ordering over easy eggs unless you are a stubborn person or a troll.

An over easy egg could have a range of white doneness ranging from soft whites to set whites, but the yolk has to be runny or it is no longer an over easy egg. Clearly, you are once again primarily defining the yolk doneness. Most people who order an over easy egg are doing so to have a runny yolk while eliminating visible clear whites. If they really like clear whites, they should order sunny side up or be prepared to be disappointed.

It isn't an over easy egg if you don't flip it any more than a soft boiled egg is the same as a poached egg.

View Quote

I get the stink eye when I order eggs.
Yolks broken, over hard ftw.
Any liquid yolk on my plate and I stiff the server.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I call it disgusting as fuck. Literally runny eggs are the only food item I’ve ever had to include sea urchin which is also nasty, but not as repugnant, that cause a spontaneous vomit reflex.  Not kidding like a real dry heave reaction. I can’t have that shit anywhere near me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#46]
“Dippy” sounds like something a 4-year-old would come ip with… can’t imagine an adult ordering that way.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Amen brother...

My dad ate them like that. I rarely ate breakfast because just the smell would gag me, even now I rarely have breakfast.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You divided by zero. That over easy over.

Over?  Roger, under done. I speak jive.
View Quote

Whats your vector, victor?.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

My egg sauce of choice.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My egg sauce of choice.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/el-yucateco-extra-hot-habanero-sauce-10-1258941.jpg

That’s a good one.

I like this as well.

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top