BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stupid thing my wife hates, but I hate messes more.
I throw the laundry detergent cup in with the wash every time.  It doesn't get all messed up with drips, etc.
Keeps the cabinet above the washer from having tacky detergent on it.

I wash almost all of my handguns in the dishwasher.  Gets em spotless.  Never had a rust issue.
View Quote

Saved the top from a previous  bottle and use it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Anticipating signal lights. Nope.

Are you the one that ran into my sisters Mazda in Houston back in 1979?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While at a red light, pay attention to seeing the oncoming traffic’s light so you can be ready to go...also, know if oncoming has a left arrow, you can go before they turn...good drivers know what I am talking about.

Anticipating signal lights. Nope.

Are you the one that ran into my sisters Mazda in Houston back in 1979?

Nobody said anything about blindly entering an intersection.  If you are paying enough attention that you are noticing the lights you can easily make sure its  clear to go.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The green lid from the Parmesan cheese container will fit on a mason jar:

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I was born with movie-star good-looks and an amazing intellect, which effortlessly led to a young supermodel wife and millions in the bank.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually using my garage to park my car!

When I was younger, I used to think my garage space was more useful as a workshop or for storage. Now I know better. I walk out to my car and it’s cool in the summer, dry when it’s raining, warm in the winter and NOT scraping ice or trying to look through half-defrosted windows is the best.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Also pay attention to countdown timers for the crosswalks for the same reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While at a red light, pay attention to seeing the oncoming traffic’s light so you can be ready to go...also, know if oncoming has a left arrow, you can go before they turn...good drivers know what I am talking about.

How big of a fucking hurry are you guys in?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not about being in a hurry.   If I notice the light is about to change, I'm not going to dick around with the radio or try find that thing that fell on the floorboard, etc... because then I would become "that guy" who gets honked at while sitting at a green light.  

Also, for those of us who drive a manual, knowing when the light will change gives us ample time to "get it in gear"
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#8]
If some condoms feel uncomfortable, you can get a better feeling from them by poking holes in them, especially the end.  A thumbtack usually works.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#9]
In the winter wash your windshield a mile or so before you get home, while the car is warm. Clean glass for the morning drive.

Use paper towels as targets, then either put sticky dots, or a marker to draw dots. Cheap, easy and they double as... paper towels.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If some condoms feel uncomfortable, you can get a better feeling from them by poking holes in them, especially the end.  A thumbtack usually works.

View Quote

Tried that, hurt like hell.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Keep the garbage bags in the can

Drill hole in side of garbage can so you can put a bag in effortlessly.

Buy the 10 foot phone chargers and keep one at home, work, and truck

Have a drink order that’s simple and you like. Don’t have to decide what you want when you end up randomly at a bar.

Organize your shit! I got a tool chest for my edc gear and spent a few days organizing. The initial outlay was more than worth it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#12]
GD has masturbatory ways.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#13]
After grocery shopping, clean out your car and throw the trash in the cart. Now it’s Kroger’s trash!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm terrible at putting away tools.  Many are always out and my boxes are inconvienently located.

I started just identifying the few tools needed for each thing I service and buying duplicate tools and storing them with the thing.  

for example, wife's car, T-25 tip and extension for the air shield thing under her car, and a 14mm socket/extension/wrench for the oil plug.

Get some canvas pouches and attach them to generators and whatnot.  Use a sharpie to write the oil type and cat. nos. For the filters and whatnot. Never hunt for tools or data again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pants unzipped, weenis protruding makes everything easier.
View Quote

Turn your front pockets inside out, then make trumpeting noises - run around the house yelling: "look at me, I'm Bigtard elephant!".  Hours of entertainment to be had.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm terrible at putting away tools.  Many are always out and my boxes are inconvienently located.

I started just identifying the few tools needed for each thing I service and buying duplicate tools and storing them with the thing.  

for example, wife's car, T-25 tip and extension for the air shield thing under her car, and a 14mm socket/extension/wrench for the oil plug.

Get some canvas pouches and attach them to generators and whatnot.  Use a sharpie to write the oil type and cat. nos. For the filters and whatnot. Never hunt for tools or data again.
View Quote

I started doing the tool box thing by accident.   Home depot carries these mini plastic tote boxes with a hinged lid.  I would take the tools I need and put them in the tote, then forget where the tools were and have to get new ones.  Wound up with an electrical box, plumbing box, spackling/drywall box, etc..  It works well.   Everything you need is all ready to go.

My hack is to clean my tub and shower stall with a sponge mop.   Beats the hell out of bending over to get in the corners, gives better leverage for scrubbing.  Makes it a snap to scrub large areas.  Another one is to dump some pine sol into the toilet tank before cleaning.  When you flush it coats the entire inside of the toilet with cleaner.  Scrub, flush again.  Removes all kinds of crap from up under the rim.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One of the few things I miss about being a bachelor..  On days I felt fancy, I would use a plate, let the dog clean it, then toss it in the dishwasher.......
View Quote

When the wife and kid are out of town I have been known to just put dirty dishes in the fridge and use em the whole week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#18]
-Fill your Zippo every Sunday so that its always fueled for the week, and keep a few spare flints under the felt pad.

-Baby wipes work very well for keeping White sneakers white, and also work well for cleaning pistols.

-Microwaving scrambled eggs in a bowl saves time, and prevents having to clean a frying pan. Getting a carton of liquid egg whites makes this even easier, as there are no eggs to crack.

-Use a Mop + Comet to clean your shower. No bending over to scrub, fast, comes out spotless.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When calling customer support lines, especially tech support, press the option for Spanish.

Most of the English-speaking tech support is offshore and offer very little outside of scripts. English is a secondary or tertiary language for them.

Spanish-speaking tech support, however is largely US located and all also speak English. They are happy to provide support in English and many times have authority to assist far more than their offshore counterparts and dont stick to just the support scripts.
View Quote

Interesting
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
-Microwaving scrambled eggs in a bowl saves time, and prevents having to clean a frying pan. Getting a carton of liquid egg whites makes this even easier, as there are no eggs to crack.
View Quote

First spray the bowl with Pam nonstick spray to make cleanup easy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Keep the garbage bags in the can
View Quote

My mother does this.  I would NEVER do it for the kitchen bag...too big a chance for a leak to make the other bags in the bottom nasty.  It happens, and has happened to me plenty.  
For trash cans that typically don't have liquids, it's fine...living room, bathrooms, laundry, etc...
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#22]
When you kid starts taking off their own diapers, just put the diapers on backwards.

Same goes for footie jammies, cut the feet off and put the zipper in the back
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Instead of the typical pleasure journal, hang a 4'x8' whiteboard at your station with an array of different colored markers so you can color code based on genre.  Optional: permanently direct a light at the board so it glows like a billboard 24/7.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My hack is to clean my tub and shower stall with a sponge mop.   Beats the hell out of bending over to get in the corners, gives better leverage for scrubbing.  Makes it a snap to scrub large areas.
View Quote

Quoted:
-Use a Mop + Comet to clean your shower. No bending over to scrub, fast, comes out spotless.
View Quote

Genius!  I usually let my shower/tub get dirtier than it should because I fucking hate getting down and scrubbing it with a small pad.  

Gotta go get a dedicated shower mop now...
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
if youre right handed sleep on the right side of the bed. makes it easier to roll over and play w the puss with your strong hand

its not my ring its my watch
View Quote

Username is not appropriate.  Be honest, it’s to play with the dick that thrusts your stoma.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Look for diesel pumps with the oil slick around the base. High turnover stations are less likely to have problems with water, algae, and other contamination
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I try to never raise my voice to my Lovely Wife. It makes her unhappy when I do and when she's unhappy I'm unhappy.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#28]
On fuel pumps with annoying music etc.... the second to top button on the right will mute.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I use those paper, yard waste bags alot. Picking up leaves and such is a pain in the ass because the bags are hard to deak with when you're working alone.
I used 1/2" PVC pipe and 4 T/elbows to make a stand that fits inside the bags. It holds the bag upright and open. Once the bag is full, slide the frame out and move on. Works well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
To the best of my ability, I skip/refuse to hold meetings at work. They are simply a massive waste of time that always make me want to bash my face into the wall. They profit me not at all, so I gain a ton of time back by not my own meetings, and largely skipping other people's meetings.
View Quote

Same. I make it clear to my employees and boss that I will not attend a meeting unless it is truly 100% necessary. Also, I want a set agenda and time limit on any meetings.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I throw the laundry detergent cup in with the wash every time.  It doesn't get all messed up with drips, etc.

I wash almost all of my handguns in the dishwasher.  Gets em spotless.  Never had a rust issue.

I just rinse the cup under the water while the washer is filling. #toploaderlife
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Pop into a hotel lobby for a quick free breakfast.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Learn when to do the buy-once, cry-once rule. If something is expensive, but you use it frequently and it makes your life easier or your work more efficient, pay the big money.

Case in point. Most of my tools for home use are the house brands at Home Depot or Lowes. But for a 3/8 ratchet, I spent $130 on the Snap-on flex-head model. It cost 10X as much as the cheapo ratchet that came with the cheapo sockets from Autozone. But it works perfectly and it's a joy to use. Picking it up after the Autozone crap ratchet is like Harry Potter finding the right wand at Ollivanders.

Learn when to be frugal and when to spend big.
View Quote

Absolutely all of this!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shortens the amount of time i have to hold the brake stand.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Save a cardboard paper towel roll.  Stuff it full of plastic shopping bags and keep it in your vehicle as a garbage bag dispenser.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do all of these too, but add one more step: do a quick “far” search for anyone blasting through the intersection. I’ve seen people blowing lights and have watched enough Cops and police chase shows to know that someone could be flying down a 35 mph road at 80+ evading police and you could get T-boned for being quick on the gas.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Buy a couple dozen medium binder clips and keep them in a kitchen drawer. They’re perfect for closing bags: cereal, bread, chocolate chips, frozen vegetables, chips, etc. They’re cheap.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most detergents will actually state right on the bottle, or the cap itself, to toss the cap into the wash with the clothes. Show her that and make her feel silly.

Random Google pics:

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ya know how something goofs up with the DVD player or cable TV tuner box/DVR, you are down on the floor looking at this mess of cables and electrical cords/plugs as they plug into a surge protector.

Take multi-colored zip ties to the cords.

For example, the cord for the Blu Ray/DVD gets a blue zip tie near the back of the machine  and another blue zip tie down near the plug.

The TV gets green zip ties..same thing....close to the back of the TV and then down near the plug.

I cut off the excess zip tie to trie to make it neater looking.

View Quote
Instead of cutting off the excess, twist until it breaks off. It won't leave that razor sharp tag on the end.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After grocery shopping, clean out your car and throw the trash in the cart. Now it’s Kroger’s trash!
View Quote

Hell yes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Use paper towels as targets, then either put sticky dots, or a marker to draw dots. Cheap, easy and they double as... paper towels.
View Quote

Game changer, thanks.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Save leftover or lightly used nuts, bolts, and screws in a clear plastic hobby drawer system.  After a couple years of doing this you’ll never have to go to the hardware store for fasteners.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you're assembling a bike for your kid or for yourself and trying to get the rubber grips on the handlebars, spray the bar with hairspray. The grips will slide right on and the hairspray will lock the grips in place after drying.

View Quote

Use spray paint if you actually want them to stay! I’m an avid mountain biker. I rode bmx before that. I was changing grips often. Now they make grip clamps that are way better and less of a mess
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL.

You can't cross on a red light, fool. Also if they have a green arrow, they have the right of way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm not sure if this is a "life hack" but when I was 25 I bought a DeWalt 20V cordless Drill / Impact Kit on sale for $200. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. Get the adapters so you can use your sockets with the impact, in addition to Phillips, star, and square drivers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Shit.

When we'd return from a gunnery or just a regular range, you'd find dudes running their showers with the 240B/Cs under the hottest water possible.  Hot water evaporates quickly, and also helps get all of the carbon impregnated oil off quickly.  When your night in downtown Baumholder doesn't start until the armsroom is happy, you make mission happen.
View Quote

Hot, soapy water is an approved cleaning method for some crew served weapons in the Marines.  We did that for our mortar barrels.

I wouldn't clean my handguns like that as I don't clean them very often but I'm sure it would work if you dry them off quickly
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Like liquids? We don't put them in our kitchen garbage can.
Been doing this for years and my wife would have put the kibosh to it if it was problematic/messy.
View Quote

Same.
Anything gross/smelly- goes outside.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Buy a couple dozen medium binder clips and keep them in a kitchen drawer. They’re perfect for closing bags: cereal, bread, chocolate chips, frozen vegetables, chips, etc. They’re cheap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/421435/3DC17B61-A5DC-4D20-B6F5-563C9670D118_jpe-1918233.JPG
View Quote

We use clothes hanger pins.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This.

I finally started to take this type of advice and paid a lot of money for a Hakko desoldering gun. The time and frustration it eliminates is amazing and well worth the money.
View Quote

Hakko desoldering gun looks awesome. Going to order some for work. Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Another one.

When installing the buffer detent pin and spring in an AR, place the lower in a garbage bag while doing it.
View Quote

steal a comforter bag instead.
it is shaped like a box and holds it shape while you are working. you don't have to hold it up and away while you work.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top