Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing compels you to answer the question one way or another. Nothing compels you to aid in their investigation. Just don't answer the question.

I had a cop ask me a question while I was digging out my insurance card. I said nothing. He asked again. I said I heard the question. He asked if I was going to answer it. I said 'no'.

Birds chirped.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From another thread:

"There is nothing illegal in the car."
View Quote

I thought this was a good answer
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Turn it around on them. Tell to answer yes or no only, "do you still beat your  wife/sister?"
Then slam the pedal to the metal, they love practical jokes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Someone said it on a different forum. " I have nothing illegal in the car".    kingwing
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in Ohio, my answer is the same: if I'm carrying a concealed handgun where it's permissible, I'm honest when asked. If I have guns in the trunk, I'm honest.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Jay-Z had the right approach here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
When asked if there are any weapons in the vehicle.  Yes, everything can be a weapon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“ I can’t breathe!”

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
There isn't one correct response that fits all situations.

According to the Fifth Amendment, you're not required to incriminate yourself. That has been interpreted by the courts to cover lying to police to cover your own crimes, but not lying to cover the crimes of others (except perhaps your spouse) since cops have interpreted refusal to answer as incriminating.

Morally, you have no obligation to aid and abet bad people who are trying to violate the civil rights of good people.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Am I being detained?...
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
First of all, be polite.  "I'm not answering, pig" is the wrong answer.  For the most part, cops are out there trying to do a good job and keep the violations to a dull roar.  Yes there are some who will happily violate your rights or jam you up despite the fact that you are a good citizen.  Regardless, being an ass just makes everything worse.

I recently was stopped and in my luggage I had an envelope with $1700 or something like that in it, and the deputy asked me "do you have any knives or other weapons in the vehicle?"  It was the second thing out of her mouth, and something about the way the interaction was going, triggered me into thinking "she's going to really work hard for PC to conduct a Terry frisk of my immediate surroundings or search my car".  I answered "no", she was happy with that.  I have no idea what would have happened if I had some evil firearms, but, I wouldn't want to find out.  She also kept me on the stop the longest she possibly could, I have to travel through that county on occasion, if I ever have to move any firearms, I'm just going to ship them to myself on the other end of the trip or buy what I need on the other end.

Here is a pretty good synopsis of case law revolving around Terry v. Ohio:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop

The important part for our discussion is here:

" Suspecting people because they fit into a broad category, such as being in a particular location, being of a particular race or ethnicity, or fitting a profile, are insufficient for reasonable suspicion. However, stop-and-frisk has been validated on the basis of furtive movements; inappropriate attire; carrying objects such as a television or a pillowcase (in English law, "going equipped"); vague, nonspecific answers to routine questions; refusal to identify oneself; and appearing to be out of place.[15]  

Before 1968, the law required substantial evidence to impede liberty or seize property. But the Fourth Amendment does not protect consensual encounters. During the Terry case, the Supreme Court found that the police should have the power to search, even without probable cause, to protect themselves from weapons.[6] The Terry stop operates under the assumption that though stop and frisk is an intrusion, the potential harm from weapons outweighs it.[16]"

So a "vague, nonspecific answer" i.e. "I don't want to talk to you" or "I having nothing illegal", could be interpreted as creating reasonable suspicion that a crime was, is, or is about to be committed, justifying a search for weapons.  And apparently if you admit to having weapons, the officers can remove you from the vehicle and probably handcuff and search your car for "officer safety" based on "the potential harm from weapons outweighs" the "intrusion" on the Fourth Amendment rights of the citizen.

What a shit ruling.  No wonder things are so fucked up. I thought I was being treated kind of shitty on my traffic stop, turned out I could have gotten jacked up a lot more than they did based on this case law.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Other than duty to inform states, just what the hell is the answer?  Two threads on this - no one with an answer that passes a critical thinking test?

This comment, by an esteemed upstream poster gets me close to what I am looking for I think:

Something along the lines of "Hi Officer, would you please explain why you've stopped me? I'm going to reach for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. After they answer or, in the case of dickhole cops, refuse to tell you at your window, explain you'll be exercising your right to remain silent.
View Quote

Come on.  Some one solve this dilemma so I can move on to other things.

If I act like a smartass, then I expect problems - I never do that anyway so easy for me.   I don't want to lie as that can lead to a jam up.  I'm thinking to just explain I am not answering questions...I will get my license and registrations, etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dont travel in hostile territory if it can be avoided.
View Quote

https://youtu.be/tw7OFsxTyRc?si=OOKK6NqxZNK1_HH3

Might be a chink in the cross state lines shit... MA got it shoved up their ass just a little.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#14]
There is no right answer, b/c you're dealing w/ someone you don't know. So you assume he's out to fuck you. And like everything else in life, you say as little as possible to keep the government out of your life.

I would almost always say, either no sir, or I have nothing illegal, or no sir, I'm just trying to get home because my wife isn't feeling well. Or some shit like that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you speak a little louder please, the camera’s microphone may not record you well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't been pulled over in a few years, which is probably a miracle because I drive my Challenger at felony speeds way too often.

Every time I've been pulled over since I've first got my CCW, I've handed it to the officer with my license and told them I was armed. Not once have I gotten anything more than, "don't reach for yours and I won't reach for mine.". I've also gotten off with warnings every time except the last one. Got nailed at 98 outside Butte Montana summer of 18. I handed it to him and he says "yeah yeah, you're carrying. I don't care". He then came back and informed me that he knocked my speed down to 90 and was giving me a warning for no front plate. Cost me 40 bucks.

That was on the way home from Coreu...Ceuo...Courda...Northern Idaho. On the way there 3 days earlier I hit 123 on that same stretch of highway. It was my high speed in that car, until it wasn't.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well duh officer, that's why I handed you my CHL.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Just the one between my legs, Tackleberry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A scientific study on mice stuck with me as a kid. They had many mice which were divided as A and B groups. Each mouse was housed individually, and provided with food and water through an automated system.

Group A recieved daily sessions of body contact via a soft bristle paint brush. Group B did not.

As the mice aged into adulthood, group A was docile and friendly. Group B was aggressive and viewed any attempt to brush them as aggression - returning it in kind.

I've spent a good half of my life in group B. Used to go to the groomers to get a haircut, felt nice being touched. Eventually that was the only reason I went. I stopped going there to save money and learned how to cut my own hair. Soon enough, pain was the only sensation I felt, and it became the only one I wanted.

I like your idea. Free full body petting sounds nice. Do they perform roadside rectal searches? Don't answer that; the suspense of not knowing is exhilarating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say yes even when there isn't, just for a free pat down.

A scientific study on mice stuck with me as a kid. They had many mice which were divided as A and B groups. Each mouse was housed individually, and provided with food and water through an automated system.

Group A recieved daily sessions of body contact via a soft bristle paint brush. Group B did not.

As the mice aged into adulthood, group A was docile and friendly. Group B was aggressive and viewed any attempt to brush them as aggression - returning it in kind.

I've spent a good half of my life in group B. Used to go to the groomers to get a haircut, felt nice being touched. Eventually that was the only reason I went. I stopped going there to save money and learned how to cut my own hair. Soon enough, pain was the only sensation I felt, and it became the only one I wanted.

I like your idea. Free full body petting sounds nice. Do they perform roadside rectal searches? Don't answer that; the suspense of not knowing is exhilarating.

This gem should not go unnoticed
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Just treat every interaction with police as if you're in a Congressional hearing.

"I don't recall."
"I don't recall."
"I don't recall."

And you'd never be held accountable for anything! Easy peezy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"Are there any guns or weapons in the car"
Looking at the DC lawsuit and the only reason the plaintiffs were arrested is because they answered honestly.

ETA - When you have family in hostile states you don't have a choice really, but more importantly if you say "No" and they decide to search your vehicle and find a pocketknife, they will claim you just lied to an officer.
View Quote

Am I under arrest?
If the officer says No. Then say: thank you officer I will be leaving now.
If the officer says Yes. Then say: Do you have a search warrant? And I refuse to answer to any more questions under the 5th Amendment and I want an attorney.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#22]
It really depends on whether you're paying attention to the speed limit and your surroundings as you are driving.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Do-you-have-any-weapons-in-the-car-Venting--/5-2668912/
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"I forgot it in your wife's underwear drawer. Will you go grab it for me?" Always goes over well. No idea why the guy wrote me a bunch of tickets.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#24]
The DONT police dangerous people because it's dangerous. Earn respect.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Define weapon, you super trooper donut eating Barney Fife fucker.

Follow that up quickly with:
I wish a motherfucker would.

View Quote

Ihadtogetiton.jpg
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I love to act suspicious to get their attention  but really do nothing wrong until they question me. Then I do everything in my power to piss them off. Then I post it all on you tube. It’s hilarious and they love it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#28]
The correct response should be “none of your fucking business, officer” but we all know where that leads.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#29]
The thought just occurred to laugh and mention that "The car is LITERALLY a weapon" ("you idiot" could be implied)
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The correct answers are very politely, 'No, there are no firearms in the vehicle'. (whether you have them or not)

If they then ask to search, politely say, 'No, get a warrant'.

Those are the only correct answers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Cops have never cared about any weapons I've had and usually say something like "I won't show you mine if you don't show me yours".
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#32]
We literally just did this thread two days ago
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In GA, if asked you are required to tell the officer.  If not asked
there is no requirement to tell that you have a gun in the car.
I was asked once and the officers response was,  don't pull yours
and I won't pull mine.  So far, so good.
View Quote

Incorrect. GA is a no duty to inform state.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Am I under arrest?
If the officer says Yes. Then say: Do you have a search warrant? And I refuse to answer to any more questions under the 5th Amendment and I want an attorney.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looking at the DC lawsuit and the only reason the plaintiffs were arrested is because they answered honestly.

ETA - When you have family in hostile states you don't have a choice really, but more importantly if you say "No" and they decide to search your vehicle and find a pocketknife, they will claim you just lied to an officer.

Am I under arrest?

That just sounds like it would get out of hand in hurry.

My uncle was a suburban police chief. He said there were only two correct responses when pulled over.

Yes Sir and No Sir and then shut up .
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The correct answers are very politely, 'No, there are no firearms in the vehicle'. (whether you have them or not)

If they then ask to search, politely say, 'No, get a warrant'.

Those are the only correct answers.
View Quote

Finally after almost three pages, someone posts the correct advice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck off.

Or maybe I don’t answer questions.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I think soon no honest person will want to be a cop with budget cuts, low morale, low pay, and no respect from even law abiding citizens. So then criminals and low life’s will be cops, and they won’t put up with bullshit because they know they will get away with “investigating” a murder scene. So, my advice is do what your life can handle. Aloha!
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Firstly, record the damn encounter.

"I don't answer questions".

I previously told myself I would answer "nothing illegal officer", but they could theoretically gig you for something as stupid as an "illegal" light being out and charge you for lying to a police officer.

It's really dumb, so protect yourself with camera and invoking your right to remain silent. Ironically, you have to verbally invoke that right, or they could otherwise use your silence as probable cause for whatever they invent as a reason for your silence.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit we skipped a day.
This thread needs doing every single day until those last few bad cops get taken care of
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've been here forever! I know you.  

Greetings from Chantilly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Pretty much over LE altogether. Fuck with the abiding and leave the criminals alone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
First of all, be polite.  "I'm not answering, pig" is the wrong answer.  For the most part, cops are out there trying to do a good job and keep the violations to a dull roar.  Yes there are some who will happily violate your rights or jam you up despite the fact that you are a good citizen.  Regardless, being an ass just makes everything worse.

I recently was stopped and in my luggage I had an envelope with $1700 or something like that in it, and the deputy asked me "do you have any knives or other weapons in the vehicle?"  It was the second thing out of her mouth, and something about the way the interaction was going, triggered me into thinking "she's going to really work hard for PC to conduct a Terry frisk of my immediate surroundings or search my car".  I answered "no", she was happy with that.  I have no idea what would have happened if I had some evil firearms, but, I wouldn't want to find out.  She also kept me on the stop the longest she possibly could, I have to travel through that county on occasion, if I ever have to move any firearms, I'm just going to ship them to myself on the other end of the trip or buy what I need on the other end.

Here is a pretty good synopsis of case law revolving around Terry v. Ohio:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_stop

The important part for our discussion is here:

" Suspecting people because they fit into a broad category, such as being in a particular location, being of a particular race or ethnicity, or fitting a profile, are insufficient for reasonable suspicion. However, stop-and-frisk has been validated on the basis of furtive movements; inappropriate attire; carrying objects such as a television or a pillowcase (in English law, "going equipped"); vague, nonspecific answers to routine questions; refusal to identify oneself; and appearing to be out of place.[15]  

Before 1968, the law required substantial evidence to impede liberty or seize property. But the Fourth Amendment does not protect consensual encounters. During the Terry case, the Supreme Court found that the police should have the power to search, even without probable cause, to protect themselves from weapons.[6] The Terry stop operates under the assumption that though stop and frisk is an intrusion, the potential harm from weapons outweighs it.[16]"

So a "vague, nonspecific answer" i.e. "I don't want to talk to you" or "I having nothing illegal", could be interpreted as creating reasonable suspicion that a crime was, is, or is about to be committed, justifying a search for weapons.  And apparently if you admit to having weapons, the officers can remove you from the vehicle and probably handcuff and search your car for "officer safety" based on "the potential harm from weapons outweighs" the "intrusion" on the Fourth Amendment rights of the citizen.

What a shit ruling.  No wonder things are so fucked up. I thought I was being treated kind of shitty on my traffic stop, turned out I could have gotten jacked up a lot more than they did based on this case law.

View Quote

Good post. Sounds like you answered no in a sincere way and thats all part of it. You likely didn't hesitate or give indicators. They could have even asked you to step out PA vs Mimms.  Too many people don't understand that every second your interacting with a law enforcement officer you are involved in an investigation. Half the questions they ask have nothing to do with anything except collecting evidence to further the detainment and investigation of a crime committed or about to be committed. I always laugh at people interacting with officer friendly on bodycam like they actually give a shit about your lifes drivel at the window
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is saying 'if asked"  I just tripped to FLA from VA and researched duty to inform - NC, SC - yes, GA - no, FL - no and of course VA - no.  That doesn't mean if asked.  Also, none of those states have a criminal code against having a gun in a hotel.  You can be asked to leave or remove it, and then be trespassed.  Also rest stops - do you know in VA you cannot carry at a rest stop?  I found that odd.  The other states - no code on that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I live in Virginia and unfortunately my CCW is attached to my car registration.  So when law enforcement calls in my tag they are notified of my CCW . Apparently even out of state law enforcement gets access to that information.  Its not right IMO but that's how it is in the Communistwealth.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
what does the law of the jurisdiction say about it?

why were you stopped?

what do you have to lose if 'concealed is concealed' goes wrong for you?

That should guide your responses.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

He is saying 'if asked"  I just tripped to FLA from VA and researched duty to inform - NC, SC - yes, GA - no, FL - no and of course VA - no.  That doesn't mean if asked.  Also, none of those states have a criminal code against having a gun in a hotel.  You can be asked to leave or remove it, and then be trespassed.  Also rest stops - do you know in VA you cannot carry at a rest stop?  I found that odd.  The other states - no code on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the FOPA of 86 was supposed to protect interstate traveling US Citizens from being jacked up for inadvertently violating some local or state law while traveling, but who fucking knows.  I remember reading about some dude who was moving from one state to another, driving his pickup with a bunch of guns in it that were legal where he started, and legal where he was going, but not legal in the state where he decided to pull into the back lot at a fast food joint and catch a nap.  Was "investigated" for being "suspicious", cop asked about guns, law abiding guy says "sure, lots", and next thing he knew he was going to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

what do you have to lose if 'concealed is concealed' goes wrong for you?

View Quote

If you get caught by the police where it's not legal, you lose a bunch of money, your dignity, and possibly your freedom for some time.

If you get caught by a violent criminal, lose money, your dignity, and maybe your life.

It's patently and egregiously unfair for the government to force us to choose between these two outcomes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just say "No Sir."  

Whether it's the truth or not is 100% meaningless.
View Quote

This.

If they do search and find it, "damn I had no idea I left that there".

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"I dont answer questions" and  "am I being detained?"
View Quote

Goden rule is you don't lie. If you have an answer the cop may not like you don't fuckin answer.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top