BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He wanted a peace that would return the old Prussian/UK relationship. It was a typical Hitler pipe dream.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hitler didn’t want Britain. He wanted the Soviet Union.

He didn't want a war with the english.

He wanted a peace that would return the old Prussian/UK relationship. It was a typical Hitler pipe dream.

Hitler was an escalating shit to the edge all the time asshole. After he saw what a mewling little bitch Chamberlain was with the Munich Agreement he made the call that England and France wouldn't do anything for invading Poland. Which proved out when Hitler annexed what remained of Czechoslovakia without any kind of response from them. The Nazis figured the West Europeans didn't give a shit about central/ eastern Europe. Which became apparent to them with the signing of the Munich Agreement and the lack of political action after invading Czechoslovakia.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Boy this thread really took a hard turn into German fantasy derpland.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

All WW2 threads do. Americans seem predisposed toward a fetish for the Nazi German military.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Better question, after Pearl Harbor, why didn't Hitler swear on his mother's grave, he had no intention whatsoever to go to war with America. Better yet, why did not Hitler declare war on Japan?

Once Japan decided against tying down Soviet forces in the East when the Germans were fully committed against the Soviets, Japan then was no asset to Germany compared to keeping America out of the war against Germany.

This would have tied Roosevelt's hands. How could FDR have asked for a declaration of war against Germany when Germany had just declared war against the attackers of Pearl Harbor?

One would think the LAST thing Hitler wanted was for America with it's vast resources and industrial capacity, to enter the European war on Great Britain and the Soviet Union's side.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

All WW2 threads do. Americans seem predisposed toward a fetish for the Nazi German military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I blame the History Channel
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After reading Blitzed:Drugs In The Reich I think I lost any real appreciation for what the German's did in the western front or how/why they did what they did anywhere really.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The same thing that made D-Day one of the hardest things any army ever had to pull off.

Germany could have never pulled together the resources to go across, fight and win, like the Allies did.

Amphibious operations are hard.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
After reading Blitzed:Drugs In The Reich I think I lost any real appreciation for what the German's did in the western front or how/why they did what they did anywhere really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was that book? I've read mixed reviews on the research and conclusions drawn.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How was that book? I've read mixed reviews on the research and conclusions drawn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was great. It was a pretty thorough overview of drugs in Germany before the Nazis came in and during. The first part is about sort of pre-nazi drug use, then goes into the German military, and the back section of the book is mostly about Hitler and Morrell. It has almost 50 pages of references in it so I feel like the guy did his research.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder if a lot of it has to do with how bad so many in the media portray the American military. If someone wants  propaganda glorifying a military it's pretty much either USSR or Nazi propaganda to go with.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wonder if a lot of it has to do with how bad so many in the media portray the American military. If someone wants  propaganda glorifying a military it's pretty much either USSR or Nazi propaganda to go with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To the layman the things the Allies did to win the war are "boring" or "mundane". The Germans did lots of things that are "exciting" to the average person. But flashy shit doesn't win wars.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought it was great. It was a pretty thorough overview of drugs in Germany before the Nazis came in and during. The first part is about sort of pre-nazi drug use, then goes into the German military, and the back section of the book is mostly about Hitler and Morrell. It has almost 50 pages of references in it so I feel like the guy did his research.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, I'll add it to my amazon cart.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

To the layman the things the Allies did to win the war are "boring" or "mundane". The Germans did lots of things that are "exciting" to the average person. But flashy shit doesn't win wars.
View Quote

Yup inventing a standard shipping pallet doesnt make sexy what ifs, but it does ensure troops get the supplies they need.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Disagree with that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RAF+Royal Navy meant they couldn't control the channel long enough to get an invasion force across.

Disagree with that

You may disagree with it, but it is the truth.  The Germans had very little capability to actually invade - their "troop transports" were mostly river and coastal barges that would be towed across the channel at something less than 3 knots.  The British would have plenty of time to recognize an invasion fleet departing.  It would take over 24 hours to assemble, load, and cross the English Channel and the Royal Navy would be able to intercept it at night, when the Luftwaffe would be essentially ineffective.  Britain could put more than twice as many warships of any given type into the Channel on any given night than the German Navy (England had more CRUISERS assigned to defense against invasion than Germany had DESTROYERS afloat), and would have slaughtered the transports.  Anyone that made it ashore wouldn't have any hope of reinforcements, because those same transports would then have had to turn around and get towed back across for another run, at the same pace of over 24 hours each way.

The only people in the German military that thought Sea Lion stood a prayer were in the Army, and that was because they simply assumed that the Navy and Luftwaffe could get them across the Channel and keep them supplied.  Both the Navy and Luftwaffe knew that wax a pipe dream.

Sea Lion was a bluff, and its only real hope was to convince England to sue for peace.  Unfortunately for Germany, England knew it.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You may disagree with it, but it is the truth.  The Germans had very little capability to actually invade - their "troop transports" were mostly river and coastal barges that would be towed across the channel at something less than 3 knots.  The British would have plenty of time to recognize an invasion fleet departing.  It would take over 24 hours to assemble, load, and cross the English Channel and the Royal Navy would be able to intercept it at night, when the Luftwaffe would be essentially ineffective.  Britain could put more than twice as many warships of any given type into the Channel on any given night than the German Navy (England had more CRUISERS assigned to defense against invasion than Germany had DESTROYERS afloat), and would have slaughtered the transports.  Anyone that made it ashore wouldn't have any hope of reinforcements, because those same transports would then have had to turn around and get towed back across for another run, at the same pace of over 24 hours each way.

The only people in the German military that thought Sea Lion stood a prayer were in the Army, and that was because they simply assumed that the Navy and Luftwaffe could get them across the Channel and keep them supplied.  Both the Navy and Luftwaffe knew that wax a pipe dream.

Sea Lion was a bluff, and its only real hope was to convince England to sue for peace.  Unfortunately for Germany, England knew it.

Mike
View Quote
People don't think combined arms be like it is but it do.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 7:17:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RAF+Royal Navy meant they couldn't control the channel long enough to get an invasion force across.

Disagree with that

Mike

People also seem to have a tendency to vastly overestimate the capability of airpower in the summer of 1940.  One of Germany’s biggest problems (amongst many) was that they simply didn’t have enough armour-piercing bombs to use against the RN’s cruisers and battleships.  Dropping HE from Stukas would be annoying, but it wouldn’t stop the heavier units from eviscerating a German invasion force.  The Germans had no counter for even something as simple as HMS Revenge steaming to Cherbourg at night and bombarding elements of the planned invasion force.  I think a lot of people too either simply don’t know or don’t realise the implication of the Germans planning the Sealion initial attack to happen at night.  If the RN sent any units in to cause problems, the Luftwaffe wouldn’t be doing anything of substance to counter them.  The only country with any significant ability to fight with aircraft at night in the summer and fall of 1940 was Britain.

The Heer thought it would be nothing much more complicated than a long river crossing and planned it as such, despite the Kriegsmarine telling them they were off their rocker the entire time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#17]
A Tiger tank in it's natural environment...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A Tiger tank in it's natural environment...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/20200717_085624_jpg-1507735.JPG
View Quote

Here we see a Royal Tiger, abandoned because the allied tanks were advancing too fast to recover.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top