User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:48:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Read "Lucifer's Hammer" by Jerry Pournelle PhD for a pretty realistic view of what a near miss alone would look like.
View Quote
It was a comet. And it didn't miss. There were surfers riding in above the preacher on the cliffs near Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Huh?
View Quote
He got hit by an asteroid 12600 years ago and he still can't write a coherent post.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:56:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I get all that.  But specifically how. I'm wondering about the exact sequence of events.  The idea of ash clouding out the sun and polluting the air is pretty straight forward. I'm wondering about the damage to planet itself. What happens to the globe?
View Quote

Depending on the size and composition / density of the impactor, generally a large explosion in the exponential megaton range, that causes a blast / shockwave that will incinerate 'half' the planet.  All the kicked up debris will then serve to put the rest of the planet in 'nuclear winter' conditions for a few years.  Crater at the impact site.  Perhaps a minor pertubation to the planets rotation or precession.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Read "Lucifers Hammer"
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The people that believe the world is flat will be right.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe rethink the importance of the affects of climate change and be glad you even have a climate much less a warming one.   Ten years after "Decarbonization " is complete an asteroid strike occurs and kills everything,    all that convoluted trouble for nothing, it's fate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:20:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well we had on 12600 years ago and it knocked out dick into the dirt.

We been crawling back out of the stone age ever since.

So if it was small enough just start crawling back out of the stone age.

But for the most part we be fuqd. Also depends land or water impact?
View Quote

Land or water doesn't really matter. Moving at 10,000mph which would be slow, the heat generated by the asteroid in the atmosphere would vaporize the water.
A 10 mile around asteroid hitting at the Marianas Trench would be impacting the bottom of the trench yet still have 3 miles of rock above sea level.
The shockwave from the impact would flash vaporize everything within a few thousand miles. Crust material would be ejected into orbit. Some of it would leave orbit. That material would circle the globe still molten and rain down on at least half the planet
Tsunamis thousands of feet to a mile high would race across the world oceans at the speed of sound. Pretty much everything in the hemisphere where the impact was would be dead in the first few hours after impact.  90% of life on the opposite side of the planet would die of starvation within the next few weeks. Life would survive. Some humans will survive, but they will wish they hadn't.
The impact would trigger world wide earthquakes above 9.0 and trigger volcanos across the globe to begin erupting further adding to the misery and global cloud of debris that would plunge earth into darkness for years if not decades.
Look at all the life in earth now and realize that most of it, including us are only here after 66 million years of evolution of the creatures and plants that survived.
Recovery of the human race if we survived, would take thousands of years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:30:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not worried.  The Whitehouse is distributing 400 million free N95 masks.  Two weeks and the dust should be gone anyway.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I will have to look up the vroup again.
They are self funded for the last 16 years if i remember right and based mostly out of Canada yet are the working group is scattered around fhe world.

Read it and a few other articles a few years back looking up other asteroid meteor impacts and ran across it by chance.
They were talking about the dust & soot layer left from the dino extintion astroind and found a closer top layer that points to the strike 12800 years ago.
Now they are thinking it was a lot bigger then they thought since this 2nd layer is showing up worldside.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did. I saw very little hard work into this one. Who are the "60 science/geologists"?

They are self funded for the last 16 years if i remember right and based mostly out of Canada yet are the working group is scattered around fhe world.

Read it and a few other articles a few years back looking up other asteroid meteor impacts and ran across it by chance.
They were talking about the dust & soot layer left from the dino extintion astroind and found a closer top layer that points to the strike 12800 years ago.
Now they are thinking it was a lot bigger then they thought since this 2nd layer is showing up worldside.

Is there aluminum-26 in the 12800yr layer?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Land or water doesn't really matter. Moving at 10,000mph which would be slow, the heat generated by the asteroid in the atmosphere would vaporize the water.
A 10 mile around asteroid hitting at the Marianas Trench would be impacting the bottom of the trench yet still have 3 miles of rock above sea level.
The shockwave from the impact would flash vaporize everything within a few thousand miles. Crust material would be ejected into orbit. Some of it would leave orbit. That material would circle the globe still molten and rain down on at least half the planet
Tsunamis thousands of feet to a mile high would race across the world oceans at the speed of sound. Pretty much everything in the hemisphere where the impact was would be dead in the first few hours after impact.  90% of life on the opposite side of the planet would die of starvation within the next few weeks. Life would survive. Some humans will survive, but they will wish they hadn't.
The impact would trigger world wide earthquakes above 9.0 and trigger volcanos across the globe to begin erupting further adding to the misery and global cloud of debris that would plunge earth into darkness for years if not decades.
Look at all the life in earth now and realize that most of it, including us are only here after 66 million years of evolution of the creatures and plants that survived.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well we had on 12600 years ago and it knocked out dick into the dirt.

We been crawling back out of the stone age ever since.

So if it was small enough just start crawling back out of the stone age.

But for the most part we be fuqd. Also depends land or water impact?

No, not really.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Lol,  my FIRST thought!

"WE DIE!"

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:19:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did. I saw very little hard work into this one. Who are the "60 science/geologists"?

Isn't that the one that they theorized killed the Clovis people?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Death by ooga booga
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 5:01:52 AM EDT
[#15]

It will only be the size of a Chihuahua's head.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Isn't that the one that they theorized killed the Clovis people?
View Quote

Pretty sure thats it.

Like I said been a while and really doesn't matter to us now as a species a whole lot.

I'm sure if someone were to research it a whole lot more they could deduct how long it took for things to die off and come back.
Who made it and who didn't .

I found it interesting though since its a recent find and not discussed much but something large smacked the planet and fucked shit up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#17]
The Biblical story of Noah's Arc could have been an accurate portrayal of a decent sized asteroid striking the ocean. Vaporized water and raining for 40 days and 40 nights.

A ten mile wide asteroid would kill most of the world's inhabitants over the course of several years and probably trigger an instant ice age. People not killed by the initial impact and firestorm would starve to death after food stores were exhausted. Enough debris and smoke from the fires would block the Sun's rays, maybe for a decades.  

Only 200 years ago the entire world suffered two years of crop failures because of a volcanic eruption in the South Pacific. "The year without a summer" caused panic in Europe. Riots and raids on government food stores. I think it was Quebec that got 12" of snow in July.

If a massive volcanic eruption can do that, a large asteroid would be devastating. There isn't a whole lot that can be done to stop it either. The colossal cost and waste of resources that might be directed to intercept or destroy this eventuality would be better spent on long term food storage and infrastructure redundancy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Look at those pictures of the Schumacher/Levy (sp)
Comet impact on Jupiter....

It broke into several pieces  and cluster bombed that planet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#19]
If it comes....I hope it lands on my head.  I want no part of what "life" would be for those that survived the initial impact.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bidens fault
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Democrats tax it due to the pollution, and continue to cheat at elections
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Alan Steiner wrote Aftermath.

It's a decent fantasy read about an asteroid impact. If you get your panties in a wad about sex or goofy, far fetched gun play, look elsewhere.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top