Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Took you long enough.

Dick's is a retailer of last resort for me. I guess if they had some ridiculous sale on something I really wanted I might be tempted to go there, but I doubt it.

Fuck that place.

I found two Goldenrod dehumidifiers in their bargain bin for $10 each.  I snatched those bitches with the speed of light.  (been in use about 15 years or more)  ........don't fucking ask me how old my socks are.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought some buckshot at dicks yesterday with no issues
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i'd also think it's a bad thing to sell ammo to anybody not a citizen...not sure how to go about that though...profiling works though..ususally

That's not true.  There is no federal law against selling ammunition to a non-citizen as long as they are in the U.S. legally.  

OP, what they did was total utter bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
we all have are reasons for not buying at Dicks

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think that's becuse you live in a sucky state.  No such issue here.

You used to have to fill out an ammunition log when you bought ammo in Texas. Not anymore but still.

That was a federal law and applied to all states until Reagan signed FOPA in 1986.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a trap shooter and go through a lot of ammo.  Today I went to Dick's to buy shotgun shells and was asked to punch in on the credit card reader that I was a U.S. Citizen.
When I asked why, I was told by several sales clerks (and later a customer service rep by phone) that "that was the  law."
I asked what law and got doubletalk for an answer.

1) I don't like being lied to.
2) I am very wary of any attempt to make you jump through another hoop to buy ammo.
3) What's next––got to bring a birth certificate?

If Dick's wants to do that and keep me as a customer––no way!!!

I only hope that one day my life is so boring that this is the kinda shit that I worry about. Whats next? Throwing a hissy because WalMart asked for a date of birth for a can of carb cleaner??

If shit like that does not bother you, you are part of the problem.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
AIm Surplus ask for ID when buying ammo. Are they out to kill your dag too?
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is not illegal for aliens to buy/possess ammo. Being a US citizen does prove that you are not an illegal alien but you can be a non US citizen and still legally buy it.

Did you read the law I posted? If you have additional information, I would like to read it.

I also did not look up his state's law, which may be even more restrictive.

ETA- here is another summary that may be easier for you to read  Source<SNIP>

Well, it's wrong.  You not only don't have to be a citizen, but you don't even need a Green Card to purchase ammunition.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to the gas station today and they wanted me to swipe my credit card before I pumped the gas.
Fuck those assholes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a trap shooter and go through a lot of ammo.  Today I went to Dick's to buy shotgun shells and was asked to punch in on the credit card reader that I was a U.S. Citizen.
When I asked why, I was told by several sales clerks (and later a customer service rep by phone) that "that was the  law."

2) I am very wary of any attempt to make you jump through another hoop to buy ammo.

I only hope that one day my life is so boring that this is the kinda shit that I worry about. Whats next? Throwing a hissy because WalMart asked for a date of birth for a can of carb cleaner??

So much to learn son, so much to learn...

No shit.  I had to show ID for FUCKING SEAFOAM for my motorcycle.  Fucking shit is out of control.  Big Bro wants to know.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't believe some of the shit that gets people on here all worked up.  I wish that was all I had to worry about in life was clicking a button saying i'm a US citizen  
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You weren't lied to.... you are just ignorant of the law. You may want to tahnk them for doing what is right and apologize for bashing a store that was trying to prevent illegal aliens from purchasing ammunition

18 USC 922

(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise
dispose of any firearm or ammunition
to any person knowing or
having reasonable cause to believe that such person -
(1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court
of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one
year;
(2) is a fugitive from justice;
(3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled
substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances
Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been
committed to any mental institution;
(5) who, being an alien -
(A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States;

He is not ignorant of the law.

It is not illegal for aliens to buy/possess ammo. Being a US citizen does prove that you are not an illegal alien but you can be a non US citizen and still legally buy it.

It is legal for legal residents who are not US citizens to buy/own firearms and ammunition.
Just because some one is not a US citizen, does not make them a illegal alien/ criminal.

I know plentY of Canadians Irish and Brits who live in the US and are not citizens.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Sooooooooooo - here in the grand state of New Mexico, an (illegal) alien can legally obtain a State drivers license (a big issue here now) and by default both vote and purchase fire arms and ammunition (there is a Dick Sporting goods in Las Cruces New Mexico).  Now .............. how does that work?
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
isnt any law as far as I know at least not in AZ,the fuckers were ignorant or flat out lied to you(im voting on the lie)call there corp office and complain.
we dont need companys making up their own laws they can make their own policies and we can buy elsewhere
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You weren't lied to.... you are just ignorant of the law. You may want to tahnk them for doing what is right and apologize for bashing a store that was trying to prevent illegal aliens from purchasing ammunition

18 USC 922

to any person knowing or

year;

Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

Thank you.

Like a previous poster, I went in there for some 16 gauge which is hard to find (they don't even have it always).

I'll sell the damn gun before I'll buy anything from Dick's again.

ETA  I could see having to produce a driver's license if you looked like you were under 18, but that's not what this is about.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Birther?

I'm still with the no ID to vote = no ID to buy a gun crowd.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought from them recently, and thought it was odd that they asked if I was a U.S. citizen.  I asked what happens if I hit no, and then asked what if I say yes, but, I'm lying.

Meh. Who cares?  I can't ignore $41.32 for a case of shells.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love Dicks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Your first mistake was walking in the door.  They ran a pallet jack into my car and too about a year to pay less than the total cost.  Fuck them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What if you pay cash?  

Looks like this fella found a loophole.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you read the law I posted? If you have additional information, I would like to read it.

I also did not look up his state's law, which may be even more restrictive.

ETA- here is another summary that may be easier for you to read  Source

QUICK REFERENCE TO
FEDERAL FIREARMS LAWS
I. POSSESSION OF A FIREARM OR AMMUNITION BY A PROHIBITED
PERSON:
18 USC § 922(g) & (n). Punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment. May receive
minimum sentence of 15 years without parole if offender has three or more prior
convictions for a felony crime of violence (e.g. burglary, robbery, assault, possession
of offensive weapons) and/or drug trafficking felony.
Elements
A. Possession or receipt of a firearm or ammunition;
B. By a subject who falls within one of the following categories:

Felon - (Additionally, persons awaiting trial on felony charges are prohibited from receiving
firearms.);
Drug user or addict - (Often shown where paraphernalia seized, subject tests positive for drugs
and/or subject claims drugs were possessed for personal use.);
Alien - (Includes illegal aliens and aliens lawfully admitted under non-immigrant visas, i.e., those
aliens not admitted for permanent residence. This provision does not prohibit aliens who lawfully
possess a so-called “green card” from possessing guns or ammunition.);
Is subject to a domestic restraining order - (The order must prohibit contact with an intimate
partner, or child of the subject, and must have been issued only after a hearing of which the
subject was notified and at which the subject had an opportunity to participate. The order must
also find the subject poses a threat to the physical safety of the intimate partner or child or must
prohibit the use, threatened use or attempted use of physical force.);
Has a prior conviction for domestic assault - (Includes a prior conviction for any assault or
threatened use of a deadly weapon against a present or former spouse or partner or child or
guardian of any such person. The subject must have been entitled to a jury trial and been
represented by counsel in the prior proceeding or be shown to have waived those rights.);
Fugitive from justice - (Fled any state to avoid being prosecuted or to avoid testifying in any
criminal proceeding.); or
Dishonorably discharged from the military; AND

I think you're reading above your pay grade.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#23]
The last time I was in a Dicks, the guy in front of me wanted .44mag for a carbine.  The sales clerk refused to sell it to him without a pistol license.
When the guy told him it was for a rifle, the clerk demanded to see a picture of said rifle.
Guy pulls up a picture of the rifle.
Clerk demands to see a picture of the rifle being held by the guy.
Guy pulls up a picture of him holding the rifle.
Clerk says, "Sorry, the resolution isn't good enough for me to read the caliber marked on the barrel.  No sale."

That is where this ends.  Endless ball breaking by morons.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 USC 922

to any person knowing or
year;
Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

Actually you're the one who is wrong by your own link.

You are aware there is people who you not citizens but legally here right ? There is plenty of people legally allowed firearms and ammo that are not citizens.  The key is illegal immigrants can't have arms. If you are a green card you're fine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I love Dicks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#26]
So glad we cleared that up.

Illegal aliens get free medical care, free schooling, tax free yobs, drivers licenses, etc etc....

But thank GOD they can't buy ammo, and have no way WHATSOEVER to get it...

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't buy ammo from dicks because it's expensive.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#28]
did they have a
––-Press one for Spanish?
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#29]
The dicks in East Brunswick NJ would not let me buy ammo because i was an out of state resident, so my father had to buy it. At the front counter they had a book of names and addresses and DL info from all the people who bought ammo. They took his drivers license and coped the info. The shit of it was i could see the names in the book and there were a bunch of PA and NY addresses in it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I know in Illinois, you gotta show ID to buy Drano

That is because of making meth
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:21:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

At least he can open carry.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:30:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 USC 922

to any person knowing or
year;
Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

i'd also think it's a bad thing to sell ammo to anybody not a citizen...not sure how to go about that though...profiling works though..ususally

The fuck? It's legal for non-citizens to buy guns.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:31:02 AM EDT
[#33]
They can buy it legally if they are a Lawful Permanent Resident.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:33:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Not the only reason to dump Dicks for shooting supplies, just another reason.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:33:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Sports Authority makes you sign on an electronic pad when you buy ammo.

I hear the famous Irishman, Buck O'Fama, buys quite a bit there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 2:40:24 AM EDT
[#36]
$52/100  for WWB .45 ACP.at the Dicks around here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 3:14:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I make it a point to not shop at Dicks mainly because their prices are insanely high.

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 3:39:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 USC 922

to any person knowing or
year;
Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

The fuck? It's legal for non-citizens to buy guns.

Exactly. Nothing in that law says that only citizens may buy ammunition (or firearms). It says people who are illegally in the U.S. may not do so. Which leaves a LOT of non-citizens who can buy those items. Basically anyone who has entered legally.  Even the Chinese tourist in Vegas for a week who buys some ammo at one of those touristy ranges there.

But it's Dick's, so who cares. There is nothing there worth buying anyway, and it's full retail price.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No he isn't. If anyone is, you are. The Code says people who are illegally or unlawfully in the U.S. may not buy these things. There are MANY categories of people, including millions of tourists and hunters who come here from overseas and buy ammo to go shooting/hunting, who are LEGALLY here but are not citizens or LPRs.

Maybe you should apologize to the OP for not actually reading and comprehending the very law that you took the time to post and highlight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 3:42:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Of all the things to get butt hurt over.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 3:58:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I stopped going to Dickhead's a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#42]
It was pretty awesome 5 or 6 years ago when I scored about 6 boxes of .40 Winchester Silvertip HP at DICK'S on clearance for $9/box.

Ammo on clearance?  Is there such a thing anymore.

Then there was that coupon someone posted on the website a few years ago, the manager hassled me about the coupon, but I got 6 boxes of .357 for a hell of a deal too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:07:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Of all the things to get butt hurt over.  Sheesh.

I'm not personally offended (or affected) by it, but if I were a LPR or here on a valid visa and went to buy ammo, I might be a little peeved.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

18 USC 922

to any person knowing or
year;
Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

This.  Although not in Pennsylvania, even in Illinois you can legally purchase ammo and firearms as a non-citizen, if you are a permanent resident.  My foreign born wife has an Illinois FOID card which gives her the same firearms rights as I have as a US citizen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:12:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I know in Illinois, you gotta show ID to buy Drano

But not vote?

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No! I live in a sucky state.  

Care to explain why you think it's sucky?

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:14:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I love Dicks.

They also sell camping gear, you like camping?  PM sent.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love Dicks.

Coming out?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:19:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Must be something in PA.  Stopped off to one a few weeks ago just to see what it was like and I bought a box of 7.62x39 just because I was there.  Paid in cash and walked out the door.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Alot of a-holes in retail are just plain ignorant. Most don't know the difference between a policy and a law. You cant and shouldn't waste your time trying to edumacate them either. I stopped in Gander yesterday to pick up patches and some Hoppes and overheard some guy ask about his delayed "put on hold" NICS check from the weekend and the clerk told him that they hadn't heard back and it could take 15 days for ATF to respond. There was so much WTF between the two of them I just kinda strolled away. Dicks is the same way the employees up front think guns are icky and the one guy at the gun counter surfs arfcom. Dicks has the occasional good deal on something ––I managed to work my points with their sale price to get troy battlemags at about $9.00 ea out the door, and this week they have tula steelcase .223 at $4+change a box. You can boycott them and they will shrug and go back to all savages and single shots and plain jane hunting ammo.  Or you can buy when there's a good deal and encourage them to maybe be more gun friendly. Personally I think Dicks would rather sell bikes and golf clubs than anything to do with guns but their corporate mentality is starting to come around. If the reader prompted you for info on age or residence etc its most likely out of the salesclerks hands anyway and probably mandated by corporate legal and the clerk doesn't know why ––so they come up with a stock excuse for something they cant do anything about. Berating them or giving them a hard time just re-enforces their view of a-hole gun owners. Are you a citizen ? answer "yes" and be done with it.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top