Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry one cause I like them.  That's good enough.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]
How is a trigger going to snag on something coming out of a holster, unless you're some smooth brain who figured out how to holster the gun upside down?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same reason I don't drive a Model T, much better options.
View Quote

Bad analogy.  They don't make Model T's anymore.  You can go buy a brand new revolver, however.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A revolver is an excellent self-defense/carry weapon, IMO.
View Quote

It wouldn’t be my first choice. But I’d damn sure trust my Smith 686+ or my SW69 combat with nearly any issue that came up. I’ve carried the smith on an occasion before.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've had a ccw permit for 12 years and i've never really felt comfortable carrying an auto unless it either had a manual safety or even worse, I didn't carry it with a loaded chamber. And after seeing how quick self defense situations happen and realizing you aren't gonna probably have time to mess with safeties or chambering a round, I wanted something that was ready to fire when I draw and pull the trigger immediately but I also could feel very comfortable carrying knowing that theres no way the gun is gonna discharge unless I intentionally pull the trigger and no safeties or anything else to deal with. I had many autos before it, but then I realized the revolver was what I was looking for all along.
View Quote

You had me in agreement with you till you posted the retardation about safeties being difficult to operate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Carry whatever you like as long as you're proficient with it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Carry whatever you like as long as you're proficient with it.
View Quote

It's why I carry a revolver

I just shoot my 3" better than my 4" semi autos, which is kinda odd

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
If I lived/worked/travelled in a part of the country where 4-legged predators were more common, I'd carry one almost exclusively.  

As it is, 10mm works on 2 and4 legged where I am.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I carry one cause I like them.  That's good enough.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm too old to overthink this kind of stuff anymore. I don't live in a ghetto, so I feel perfectly fine with a snubby in my pocket if I'm just grabbing groceries or something. Sometimes I carry heavier, but I don't like dressing around a gun anymore now that I live close to the tropics side of a subtropical climate. It's not like I can throw on a light jacket or over shirt and still be comfortable anymore.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Until you have to reload it
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]
My next revolver.

The Invincible Manurhin MR73 Revolver is Back in the USA

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/391660/20210507_192818-1933654.jpg
View Quote
I didn't know they made longer barreled LCR based guns. Does that help with recoil any or is it still like getting kicked in the hand?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No one recognizes it as a Falcon 9 upper stage with cargo dragon made out of LEGO

View Quote

I cringe at the idea of stepping on a lego, can't imagine abusing my taliwacker with a assembly of them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]
You just hit every 'old man in the gunshop' talking point all in one post. Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/391660/20210507_192818-1933654.jpg
View Quote

That’s odd, yet classy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife can no longer "pull slides." We sold the Glocks/Browning Hi-Powers and went to snub - 3" barreled Smith/ Ruger 38 specials about 5 years ago now........
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Because it does not leave brass
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually carry a Glock, but I've been watching Babylon 5 and the sidearms they carry look like snubnose revolvers.  Got an itch to switch to a 5 shot .357. Of all the reasons for or against, that's probably the worst one I can think of.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#22]
The only real reason I can think of is so you can shoot it concealed in a jacket (hammerless) if someone is trying to hold you up
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone know a semi auto that weighs in at 14 ounces in .357 or equivalent caliber?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I do because I think a carry gun should be ready to fire upon drawing and pulling the trigger without having to dick with safeties or chambering a round.
View Quote

I have been carrying semi autos for 26years now. Not a single gun I’ve carried during this 26 years has had a manual safety. Some times I even pocket carry without a holster. Guess what, never had an accidental discharge.

And I even carry with a round in the chamber, always. What’s the point of carrying an unloaded gun?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Im liking mine in 357
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Of course. Besides some single action replicas, almost every revolver made in the last 100 years either has either a transfer bar or a firing pin block that will prevent it from being discharged if it is dropped or receives a blow to the hammer. And the only way the firing pin can touch the primer is if the trigger is pulled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does every cylinder have a round in it?...

Of course. Besides some single action replicas, almost every revolver made in the last 100 years either has either a transfer bar or a firing pin block that will prevent it from being discharged if it is dropped or receives a blow to the hammer. And the only way the firing pin can touch the primer is if the trigger is pulled.

Now replace all of that revolver language with Glock language...

...voila!
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Super GP100 carrys 8
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A revolver only has one cylinder so yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does every cylinder have a round in it?...

A revolver only has one cylinder so yes.

My bad...
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, you don’t have a hair on your balls if you don’t carry what Shelby does…

Attachment Attached File

Hey PawPaw!!  Awwwwww maaaaannn!!!!

Attachment Attached File

I like big revolvers…..same as this idiot. Why, because it will kill everything found in the swamp, everything.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The only real reason I can think of is so you can shoot it concealed in a jacket (hammerless) if someone is trying to hold you up
View Quote

I'll toss one more out there- I carry a 642 when hiking/fishing/kayaking because I can put a shotshell in the first chamber.  It depends on where am of course, but I'm a lot more likely to come across a water moccasin in a bad mood than I am something needing a Speer GDHP or 158gr SWCHP.  Water moccasins always seem to be in a bad mood.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable.
View Quote

As Bill Jordan supposedly said when talking about why the Model 19 had an ejector shroud, "You never know when someone might bump their head on it".  
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I most often carry a revolver.

Why? Ease of use.

Started carrying one in 2014 when landed job at a Stop & Rob where pocket carry made the most sense.   Revolver best at pocket carry compared to a semi-auto.

Since I also had pants with front pockets that were too small, got a belt holster.

Revolvers are easier-to-manipulate than autos although often harder-to-shoot.  At the range most attacks will occur, a revolver is plenty accurate.

Mine have shrouded hammers, so that those won't snag on the draw yet retain a single-action let off capability in case I need a precise head shot, which I have needed and done before.

I carried a revolver today and plan to carry one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Upon squeezing the trigger on a SP101, this thread makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't rely on "Hope" as part of my self defense strategy....
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I love people's opinions on carry guns.  Especially when they think they are too incompetent to carry an auto.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know of any non-LE self-defense shootings that required a reload? Honest question.

In response to the OP, I don't currently, but I've been thinking about it more and more after spending some time listening to guys like Craig Douglas and Claude Werner.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I do because I think a carry gun should be ready to fire upon drawing and pulling the trigger without having to dick with safeties or chambering a round. And at the same time, I just don't feel comfortable with how light the trigger on striker fired guns are. And it's not about keeping your finger on it, it's about getting it snagged on something that you didn't know was there. Especially since I like pocket carry (but in a pocket holster). You can argue all you want about police training, but when they went from revolvers to glocks, the incidents of nd's went up tremendously. You can argue that cops get stupider or aren't trained as well, but nd's with revolvers were pretty rare. And there's also the reliability issue when you are talking small guns. Most modern service sized and even compact semi autos are very reliable. But when you step down into the subcompact class, they can be a bit more finicky on how you hold them, what ammo you use etc. I hope 6 rounds will be enough, and I think it would because they say the average citizen involved self defense encounter has between 1 and 3 shots fired. It might be my funeral, but I like carrying my ruger lcr.
View Quote

Found the problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As Bill Jordan supposedly said when talking about why the Model 19 had an ejector shroud, "You never know when someone might bump their head on it".  
View Quote

Sounds like what I heard my old compa ask an extranjero many many years ago. He was soaking up everything Spanish and held up his PR24 and said in deliberate Spanish “come se llama esa in Espanol.”  The Mexican national looked at him and said…..”duele”.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#40]
S&W 342 loaded with 135 grn Gold Dots.

I carry it damn near daily as a backup or primary if I can't carry my Glock 19 for some reason or another.  

The step in between those two is a Glock 36.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I carry one quite a bit, Either a Smith J frame .38, 2 1/2 inch .357 or 3 inch .44 special. Come to think of it I don't recall carrying anything but a revolver every day this month.

I'm much more likely to need to use a handgun on a coyote or copperhead than on a rioting band of Antifa thugs though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#42]
One big advantage of revolvers is that you don't leave brass at the scene.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Carried a five shot .38 snub for twenty years. Actually had to pull it one time to dissuade a crack head with a knife. The view if it was enough to make him leave.  It was adequate for  one one one situations.

Later on i kept seeing more and more video of attacks and robberies where multiple perps participated. My five shot seemed less adequate.  I moved to a Glock 27 and a spare G22 mag. I just now switched to Shield Plus 9mm.  11 in the gun and 13 extra in the pocket if needed.

I would carry another snubby if forced to, but i have other options now.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't know about leaving brass at a scene but it sure makes the brass easy to find for reloading.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Congrats this wall o’insecurity made LittlePony straight for 87 seconds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do because I think a carry gun should be ready to fire upon drawing and pulling the trigger without having to dick with safeties or chambering a round. And at the same time, I just don't feel comfortable with how light the trigger on striker fired guns are. And it's not about keeping your finger on it, it's about getting it snagged on something that you didn't know was there. Especially since I like pocket carry (but in a pocket holster). You can argue all you want about police training, but when they went from revolvers to glocks, the incidents of nd's went up tremendously. You can argue that cops get stupider or aren't trained as well, but nd's with revolvers were pretty rare. And there's also the reliability issue when you are talking small guns. Most modern service sized and even compact semi autos are very reliable. But when you step down into the subcompact class, they can be a bit more finicky on how you hold them, what ammo you use etc. I hope 6 rounds will be enough, and I think it would because they say the average citizen involved self defense encounter has between 1 and 3 shots fired. It might be my funeral, but I like carrying my ruger lcr.

Congrats this wall o’insecurity made LittlePony straight for 87 seconds.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#46]
capacity?

just get a belt fed revolver...
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Why not? They can be very useful in certain situations.

A .327 Fed LCR packs a punch from inside a pocket. On the other end, an x-frame .500 S&W can be used to put a big hole in the target and the T-rex behind it, tenderize a steak, anchor a boat, hammer in railroad spikes, and chop a tree in a pinch.

Tldr.... versatility
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I would chastise OP harshly but I carry a 1911
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#50]
If I only had 6 rounds I'd probably be dead. So no.
Also who doesn't carry a Chambered gun?
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top