Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/6/2015 8:32:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Because crabby doesn't know
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]
hot water, detergent and constant spray?

Hell if I know. I don't do it
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Never heard of such a thing. Who are the people that do this?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably because they were shooting corrosive ammo and want to make sure all of the salts have been washed away.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Imbeciles I would guess.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Because they want to get those unknown substances onto their silverware, and then transfer those unknown substances into their mouths.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I just use the sink, myself.

Some people are lazy, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Mentally handicapped?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#10]
One of the machinists that manufactured the old stainless AMT .22 Backup told me "it was not designed to be stripped and cleaned, just open the action and toss it in the dishwasher."

That's why.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Better than cleaning your sex toys in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Great way to clean Blackpowder revolvers.

Not sure I would want to clean guns that are wearing clp or grease.

You guys dishwashers recycle water and don't drain?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll put my NiB bolt in there. It comes out squeaky clean and like new. That's about it though.

ETA: no detergent, just hot water.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not sure I would want to clean guns that are wearing clp or grease.

You guys dishwashers recycle water and don't drain?
View Quote

Every dishwasher I've ever seen has a drain on it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a thread on here from when I put my AR in the dishwasher

Don't do it
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I once bought 25 well used AK mags for a $1 each. They were dirty and greasy as Hell and so I took them all apart and loaded them all into the dishwasher set on the "potscrubber", high heat "sanitize" and "heated-dry" setting. three hours later, they were squeaky clean but everything had a VERY light coating of rust on it. I hosed the whole pile down with WD-40 and after a couple days started re-assembling everything. All those mags function flawlessly and I still use them as my range mags.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Never have.
But I did hand wash some disassembled AR mags last week. I'm trying to "refurbish" old usgi mags.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I use an ultrasonic.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Because it works really well.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Because they want to get those unknown substances onto their silverware, and then transfer those unknown substances into their mouths.
View Quote

Yeah, not that there would be large amounts, but that's still just asking for cancer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#21]
because Butch's is totally inadequate at removing mac n' cheese from your bore.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I did it because I had 24 greasy Garand receivers and I needed them clean in a hurry.   Crabby was away and it worked like a charm

But it destroyed dishwasher number 1.  I bought a replacement dishwasher and it quit for a while.  But now it is working again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I've not tried the dishwasher (I'm married and would like to stay that way), I have showered several times with a 5.45 AR-15 upper.

I highly recommend showering with your rifle. Cookie is optional.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When I was in the army in Denmark, we often cleaned our G3s in the showers.  Sprayed them down with engine cleaner, and then blasted them with hot water.  It was pretty time-efficient, since you could shower AND clean your rifle at the same time - and it got them cleaner than anything else could.

For relatively cheap and mass-produced stuff, like G3 rifles, or Glock pistols or whatever, it seems like a good idea.  If you had some expensive collectible handgun or something, you may not want to regularly run it through the dishwasher (although it would probably be fine).
View Quote

We did the same thing with Ajax.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I was in the army in Denmark, we often cleaned our G3s in the showers.  Sprayed them down with engine cleaner, and then blasted them with hot water.  It was pretty time-efficient, since you could shower AND clean your rifle at the same time - and it got them cleaner than anything else could.

For relatively cheap and mass-produced stuff, like G3 rifles, or Glock pistols or whatever, it seems like a good idea.  If you had some expensive collectible handgun or something, you may not want to regularly run it through the dishwasher (although it would probably be fine).
View Quote

You beat me to it.

Our 60 gunners (yes I'm old) used to shower with their guns and clean them that way.   As you said, spray them liberally with engine cleaner and then run the hot water.

As long as you're diligent in re-oiling and getting the moisture out, you're fine.

I also concur with fine collectable firearms being hand cleaned vs the dishwasher.

I would wash my guns in our dishwasher, except my wife would probably dissect me alive.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Ask the Marines at Quantico in H&S Bn ..they have a big dishwasher they use after the weekly range sessions.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I threw the stainless PPK/S in the dishwasher once just to do it. I ended up completely disassembling it, lubing it, and putting it back together. Pain in the buttocks.

The oven has seen a bit more action with paint jobs.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You beat me to it.

Our 60 gunners (yes I'm old) used to shower with their guns and clean them that way.   As you said, spray them liberally with engine cleaner and then run the hot water.

As long as you're diligent in re-oiling and getting the moisture out, you're fine.

I also concur with fine collectable firearms being hand cleaned vs the dishwasher.

I would wash my guns in our dishwasher, except my wife would probably dissect me alive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You beat me to it.

I found my wife's hairdryer to work wonders on getting the moisture out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You beat me to it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You beat me to it.

Fastest way to get the nasty off our 240Cs.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Don't do it
View Quote

Go on......
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Go on......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do it

Go on......

If I dishwashed an AR, I'd take at a minimum the optics and plastics off (stocks, handguard if you have one, pistol grip).
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, I'm not washing off lead, copper, and gun powder, in the machine that washes my cups, plates, and silverware.  Some of that residue will stick around for a cycle, or two.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
One of the machinists that manufactured the old stainless AMT .22 Backup told me "it was not designed to be stripped and cleaned, just open the action and toss it in the dishwasher."

That's why.
View Quote

The whole DAO series from AMT is like that. Fucking roll pins For The Loss
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You beat me to it.

Our 60 gunners (yes I'm old) used to shower with their guns and clean them that way.  As you said, spray them liberally with engine cleaner and then run the hot water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You beat me to it.

Our 60 gunners (yes I'm old) used to shower with their guns and clean them that way.  As you said, spray them liberally with engine cleaner and then run the hot water.

Best thing to do with a 60 is take it apart, spray it with wd40 and toss it in one of the big sinks in cleaning closets or latrines.  I'm sure the engine cleaner worked better, but we ALWAYS had WD40 available. Make sure you use hot water and it pretty much dries itself.  Lube with CLP and turn in.  

I had places to go, so waiting on dudes taking showers before turning their shit in was annoying.

and 60s aren't that old.

Nowadays I just clean my generic guns in the sink and stick the metal parts on top of a toaster oven on low heat to help dry.  Would be a bit nicer to my older stuff though.

Oh yeah, "Dishwasher Magic" found at Walmart works wonders on cleaning a dishwasher.  I cleaned a 300 piece socket set that I had been using for 20 years of wrenching in the dishwasher.  Dishwasher Magic got all the grease out afterwards.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was my first thought, too.  Works fantastic.
Just make sure you lube them as soon as they come out.  AMHIK.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Cause I drop the parts if I shower with it, like my Drill told us to do in Basic.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Best thing to do with a 60 is take it apart, spray it with wd40 and toss it in one of the big sinks in cleaning closets or latrines.  I'm sure the engine cleaner worked better, but we ALWAYS had WD40 available. Make sure you use hot water and it pretty much dries itself.  Lube with CLP and turn in.  

I had places to go, so waiting on dudes taking showers before turning their shit in was annoying.

and 60s aren't that old.

Nowadays I just clean my generic guns in the sink and stick the metal parts on top of a toaster oven on low heat to help dry.  Would be a bit nicer to my older stuff though.

Oh yeah, "Dishwasher Magic" found at Walmart works wonders on cleaning a dishwasher.  I cleaned a 300 piece socket set that I had been using for 20 years of wrenching in the dishwasher.  Dishwasher Magic got all the grease out afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You beat me to it.

and 60s aren't that old.

I'll have to remember that...
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#40]
My parts cleaner/ dish thingy stopped working earlier today.  

#3rdworldliving.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never crossed my mind. Lazy people I guess.  I'm OCD about cleaning and kinda enjoy it.

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be worried about the hot water so much as the dishwashing detergent, which is extremely caustic.
View Quote

If I'm not mistaken, you run a hot wash without the detergent.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I use the power sprayer I got at Walmart.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

and 60s aren't that old.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You beat me to it.

and 60s aren't that old.

We had mandatory weapons cleaning time during which time the arms room was closed.   Trust me, there was PLENTY of time to shower with your pig, lube it back up after drying, and then sit around waiting for everyone else to finish.

Me?  I was a 203 gunner in that unit as a young buck.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#45]
But what about putting Glocks in the oven?

Specifically....during a cleaning cycle?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
But what about putting Glocks in the oven?

Specifically....during a cleaning cycle?
View Quote

Betcha it comes out clean and more concealable.

I might have to try that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Many a beater Garand Stock as well as some m14's have been through mine.

I posted pics here long ago.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Some people like to do it with older beat up Garand stocks because it cleans well and the steam helps get some of the little dings out before refinishing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Better than cleaning your sex toys in the dishwasher.
View Quote

Sex toys touch things that my mouth also touches.

I prefer to keep lead and other carcinogens away from my mouth.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Well, I did it because there was still some room in the dishwasher after I tossed in a Turbo 400 automatic transmission case. That whole, two birds with one stone thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top