Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever takes longer to connect (I am payed by the hour)
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I work for an industrial lighting company that builds thousands of lights a month. We used to use wire nuts for all of our connections, but now only use Wagos.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most likely, galvanic corrosion.  The internal components are not the same metal as the wire.   This is another advantage of wire nuts.
View Quote

The metal in wire nuts doesn't look like copper
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is this kind of connection called? I found it in an aftermarket timer of a commercial mixer I bought. Al least there was tape around it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168740/530BBCC8-779D-4E00-B490-D8740307DAA1_jpe-2563842.JPG
View Quote

That's a "Can't-see-the-flames-from-my-house" connection.

I've used the Push-in type connectors for convenience and when space in the box is at a premium;  although I have to admit, I'm a little dubious of the ampacity claims - doesn't seem like there is enough contact area there for a loaded circuit.

Disclaimer: not an electrician
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I started using Wago's a few years ago and these things are great.

I removed all the exterior floodlights and replaced them with Eufy spotlight cams replacing the wire nuts with Wagos.

But since that swap I added additional cameras and the Wagos make swaps and changes painless and secure

I have several different Wago types and the last upgrade I changed from 3 connection to 5 connection Wagos. Flip the levers, swap the Wagos, flip levers and reinstall the wires.

Won't use wire nuts unless I have too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Always used wire nuts on AC, bought some Wago's but haven't used them yet.  Like how the wire ends stay straight, not twisted as wire nuts tend to.  On my center pivot motors, I went to solder crimps with shrink tubing, motors came with wire nuts and some of them failed.  Not sure about wagos there as waterproof seems to help out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

you do know that it's not legal/code to put more than six wires in a wire nut no matter how big it is right? Only the wire combinations on the packaging are listed and I've only found one wire nut that is listed for seven. Everything else maxes out at six to meet the listing requirements regardless of size.

View Quote

Had a 3 phase irrigation motor that was installed with 5 wires (various sizes) in wire nuts.  Connection burned wires off in less than a year.  Put split bolts in and solved that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to be a stab in, or wago kinda guy.

I’ve since become a twist and nut kinda person.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely, galvanic corrosion.  The internal components are not the same metal as the wire.   This is another advantage of wire nuts.

But the connection is wire against wire - copper to copper.  Not wire - wagometal - wagometal - wire.  It's the current path that matters.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I work on alot of older Asian equipment where the connections at the devices are ring terminals that are short and brittle from the oil.  The Wagos are much easier to work with.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top