Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]

This thread is by far the best laugh-per-word OP in a while.

I had no idea we hated UHaul.  I've used them several times, the only one I could really say was a bad experience was when a girl I promised to help (former coworker, skank, no pie) had it break down and I was sitting there all damn day hoping she'd get ahold of someone.  She didn't and I bailed after several hours.  The other trucks I've seen were old, but worked.  Haven't used any truck rental in probably close to 2 years now.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I rented one to get a gun safe home once. Less than a mile home. Almost monoxide poisoned.. Seriously... AND, I could reach thru the hole that went all the way thru the seat and touch the floor. What a flaming pile of fuck that thing was.  How can you guys rent that garbage with a straight face?

I was surprised the thing didn't have a pull start in the dash.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man....I know......jeeps are considered "soft tops" even when they have a hard top, if for some reason the trailer were to "scorpion" the truck....you and yours will die.

What does scorpion mean?  Do you mean jack knife, or do you mean somehow the trailer would whip up into the air and smash into the top of the jeep?

I was wondering about that too. I cannot fathom ANY situation where a trailer would be able to flip 180 degrees and smash in a vehicle's roof, and even if one day the laws of physics did not apply and a trailer did do this jeeps have fucking roll bars, so who cares?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had fairly decent experiences with UHaul.

My biggest grip is that one time I reserved a 27' truck, and all the place had was 24' trucks. What if I had to move something that was 26' long? ( I used to work in a scene shop and this was very common. I guess that's why we never used Uhaul) They said Uhaul classified them as the same 24/27 trucks. And then the appliance dolly broke a tread. And then the truck battery died and we had to idle it all day. At the end we somehow ended up getting charged -30 bucks. Interesting.

Oh, and when you rent a trailer it has the weird square nut on the tongue. Will this attach to multiple ball sizes?

Why do you need a fingerprint to rent?

Why does the webpage direct me to drive past the huge Uhaul place and drive 45 minutes further to a tiny hardware store with 1 trailer that is the wrong size?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
what can I say I have a good, mid size suv, and tried to rent a small trailer from u-haul.

They said, literally, we will not rent a trailer to be towed by a Ford Explorer.

And they would not.

Fuck em.

TXL

Sorry dude...can't rent to explorers.......focus your anger to Ford not U-Hauil
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does U-Haul ever buy new vehicles?    

The nationwide fleet is new.....aside from some of the local trucks.

I got one 4 years ago with a new safety feature that was a tad bit annoying. The truck would check to make sure you had your seat belt on every time it shifted gears at highway speed by trying to slam your head into the dash. Motherfucker would also keep hunting for gears the whole fucking drive on the flattest stretch of road in Texas

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whats the most fucked up thing you found that someone forgot?

Lots of shit......mostly drugs
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Asshole...

Me?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You suck...............

Preeeciate. that man...just trying to support my family....
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
why do ya'll cost twice as much as penske (or pretty much any other competitor), and have trucks 3 times as old??  

Let me guess,  its the lower loading deck?   Yeah they invented those things called ramps a while back.

If you want to drive an extra 3oo miles to drop your rig off ....be my guest, and really dude....do ya ha have to be a smartass?

and btw, we've upgraded our trucks....let me ask you... whens the last time you rented one?

Last time i rented one was January of 2009.  I had to go no further out of my way that i would have had to for a Uhaul.  it was a small metro area to a large metro area.  (lubbock to dallas)

and your OP said

Quoted:
Fuck me up

hence the smartass.

Listen I work in the business/customer service world and three times I have moved and used a self move company.  Twice I towed a Uhaul trailer behind my SUV, and it worked out fine minus having shitty weather for the drive (obviously not Uhauls fault).    But here's kinda my view on things

There are 4 big things that can make a business very very successful.  
1.  You sell a similar product or service at a substantial rate less than your competitors.  
My experience with uhaul trucks is that you are not staying in business by this fact.  The one time I quoted a price for a truck it was $300+ dollars with uhaul and $130 and some change for penske.

2.  You have a product or service that is head and shoulders superior to your competition.  
Lets face it.  The self-moving  market is fairly simple.  you rent trucks and trailers people use them and then turn them back in.  There isn't a whole lot that differentiates UHAUL, Penske, budget, enterprise, etc in the product other than the actual vehicles you use.  and as in my experience a year and a half ago, all the trucks I saw at the Uhaul lot were late 80's/early 90's where the penske truck I used was a 2006 or 2007 model.  That didn't bode well for UHAUL in my opinion.  You say that uhaul has upgraded most of their fleet?  then thats good, you are taking a step in the right direction

3.  You have amazing customer service
I have never had a bad customer service experience with UHAUL in my few encounters, but I have never had such a great customer service experience, that it warranted paying the price premium that i pointed out above.  

4.  You operate in markets without much competition.  
This is about the only thing that I think UHAUL has the advantage over, although I have never rented a truck/trailer from a really small town so I dont really know about UHAUL's presence in small towns, etc.  But I figure that is what you were hinting at when you mentioned driving 300 miles outta the way to drop off equipment.  It means Penske doesn't have a presence in more rural areas.   Also I can not think of any major national competitors for TRAILER rentals.  So it seems y'all dont have much competition in that market either.  

between point number 4 and y'alls national chain of self storage that is how I  figure UHAUL stays in business, cause (at least in my limited experience) y'all get hammered in the rental truck market in Metro areas.  

Obviously somthing is going right in Uhauls world, cause y'all are still in business.  

I'm really trying to town down the smartass in this post and I'm speaking as a consumer and businessman.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
How many hookers have you fucked in the back of the rentals.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

OP, you asked for all questions from GD...even said "fuck me up".

Now you're getting the red-ass because this is happening?

How's that....I'm trying to answer the inquiries as best I can......how's about you just <Comment removed - T7> .
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh.  I needed a U-haul to run from Spokane, WA to Fairbanks, AK...there was little fuss.  You all did good in my book.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The fact that it cost me over 1100 bucks to rent a trailer from Detroit to Portland (OR) is an outrage.  I turned it in 5 days early too (would have kept it but didn't have a place for it) What are you going to do about it?

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's that....I'm trying to answer the inquiries as best I can......how's about you just <Comment removed - T7>.

U-haul sucks ass.......

This is a great thread

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's that....I'm trying to answer the inquiries as best I can......how's about you just <Comment removed - T7>.
I wonder if the System Message has a question He/She would like to ask?

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this the part of the show where you admit to being "F'd up" per your original post?

I've had no problems with your company FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Only used U-Haul once. They were out of the truck I had reserved so they gave me the fricking 35 foot battleship. No, it's not actually 35 foot long but it sure drives like it is.

Turned out to be OK that we got the larger truck because you can take a little less care loading it. Driving that thing 500 miles was no fun a-tall though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I still want to know what the fuck a "scorpion" is, and how it would kill people in a jeep, but not in anything else.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, put some armor over that thin skin of yours and give us some detail in your answers!

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry UHaul guy. But your company is shit.  

Time after time, your trucks have been rolling road hazards. Rented a 26' truck for a cross country move, slow as hell, 1986 International POS. Had to drive with the windows down the entire trip because of diesel fumes in the cab. Rented a 16' truck for a crosstown move. Early 80s Ford diesel. The truck barely moved with the hammer down. That was a fun move.

Those trucks were all within the last 6 years.

My last cross country move was with a Penske 26' truck, new truck, plenty of power, CLEAN, quiet, not a single problem. My move coming up in July is with Penske again.

Fuck UHaul.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should have established a Safe Word before you started this gang bang.

How are we supposed to know when "No: Stop!" and all the screaming/crying really means that you're done with the roleplaying?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
why do ya'll cost twice as much as penske (or pretty much any other competitor), and have trucks 3 times as old??  

Let me guess,  its the lower loading deck?   Yeah they invented those things called ramps a while back.

If you want to drive an extra 3oo miles to drop your rig off ....be my guest, and really dude....do ya ha have to be a smartass?

and btw, we've upgraded our trucks....let me ask you... whens the last time you rented one?

Last time i rented one was January of 2009.  I had to go no further out of my way that i would have had to for a Uhaul.  it was a small metro area to a large metro area.  (lubbock to dallas)

and your OP said

Quoted:
Fuck me up

hence the smartass.

Listen I work in the business/customer service world and three times I have moved and used a self move company.  Twice I towed a Uhaul trailer behind my SUV, and it worked out fine minus having shitty weather for the drive (obviously not Uhauls fault).    But here's kinda my view on things

There are 4 big things that can make a business very very successful.  
1.  You sell a similar product or service at a substantial rate less than your competitors.  
My experience with uhaul trucks is that you are not staying in business by this fact.  The one time I quoted a price for a truck it was $300+ dollars with uhaul and $130 and some change for penske.

2.  You have a product or service that is head and shoulders superior to your competition.  
Lets face it.  The self-moving  market is fairly simple.  you rent trucks and trailers people use them and then turn them back in.  There isn't a whole lot that differentiates UHAUL, Penske, budget, enterprise, etc in the product other than the actual vehicles you use.  and as in my experience a year and a half ago, all the trucks I saw at the Uhaul lot were late 80's/early 90's where the penske truck I used was a 2006 or 2007 model.  That didn't bode well for UHAUL in my opinion.  You say that uhaul has upgraded most of their fleet?  then thats good, you are taking a step in the right direction

3.  You have amazing customer service
I have never had a bad customer service experience with UHAUL in my few encounters, but I have never had such a great customer service experience, that it warranted paying the price premium that i pointed out above.  

4.  You operate in markets without much competition.  
This is about the only thing that I think UHAUL has the advantage over, although I have never rented a truck/trailer from a really small town so I dont really know about UHAUL's presence in small towns, etc.  But I figure that is what you were hinting at when you mentioned driving 300 miles outta the way to drop off equipment.  It means Penske doesn't have a presence in more rural areas.   Also I can not think of any major national competitors for TRAILER rentals.  So it seems y'all dont have much competition in that market either.  

between point number 4 and y'alls national chain of self storage that is how I  figure UHAUL stays in business, cause (at least in my limited experience) y'all get hammered in the rental truck market in Metro areas.  

Obviously somthing is going right in Uhauls world, cause y'all are still in business.  

I'm really trying to town down the smartass in this post and I'm speaking as a consumer and businessman.  

Cool...I appreciate your micro- literature attempt, Man..I'm just trying to pay the bills......that's it

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fuck me up

Does your employer know what the term "reservation" means?  

How often are the rental trucks actually inspected?  Once a year? Less?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why do all of your trucks suck?

I don't think I've rented a truck from Uhaul that I thought, after driving a few miles, had a better than even chance of making it to my destination.  Every one of them was beat to shit and should have been retired a long time ago.  I have never rented a truck from another company that was in as bad shape as ANYTHING I've rented from Uhaul.

ETA: Oh, and my sister rented a trailer from Uhaul that had 12 psi in one of the tires.  12 fucking psi.  WTF?

lol the last one I rented was based on a Ford Econoline chassis. I've driven farm tractors that rode, accelerated, and braked better than the busted piece of shit Uhaul rented me. Other than that my experience with them was accceptable.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Does U-Haul ever buy new vehicles?    

The nationwide fleet is new.....aside from some of the local trucks.

I got one 4 years ago with a new safety feature that was a tad bit annoying. The truck would check to make sure you had your seat belt on every time it shifted gears at highway speed by trying to slam your head into the dash. Motherfucker would also keep hunting for gears the whole fucking drive on the flattest stretch of road in Texas

Sounds like we rented the same truck then.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Fuck U-Haul in the ass with a rusty pick-axe.

I rented a truck and car trailer for a move from San Diego to Oklahoma.

When I went to pick up the truck it wasn't the new 99 diesel I was promised, it was a 4 year old gas pile of shit.

Along the way:

Windshield wipers quit working.
Left headlight burnt out.
Transmission would not shift out of drive.
The turn signal stalk broke.
The rear brakes smoked starting the last 50 miles.
The instrument panel lights went out on the first day, on the last day the entire instrument panel went tits up.
The CD player never worked.
The battery went dead.
The trailer brakes went out somewhere in New Mexico.
The wiring harness was arcing and sparking at night.

It took a couple months, U-Haul refunded the entire charges plus gave me a coupon for a free trailer rental.

When I moved from Oklahoma to Washington I rented a Penskie truck, it had less than 1200 miles on it, it was a diesel, the trailer was fairly new and it had brakes that worked.
I didn't have any problems.

I'll never use a U-Haul product again.

With the military discount the Penskie was a few dollars more but well worth it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's that....I'm trying to answer the inquiries as best I can......how's about you just fuck the hell off.

U-haul sucks ass.......

This is a great thread

LMAO

OP asks to get ass raped and then melts down when the site grants his wish.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Good night guys.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
what can I say I have a good, mid size suv, and tried to rent a small trailer from u-haul.

They said, literally, we will not rent a trailer to be towed by a Ford Explorer.

And they would not.

Fuck em.

TXL

Sorry dude...can't rent to explorers.......focus your anger to Ford not U-Hauil

Exactly what happened to me, and Explorers are full-framed truck chassis. But they will let you tow with a Ranger (same exact chassis), or Blazer, Hyundai, and a bunch of other POS unit-body SUV's.   I towed my boat and motorcycles trailer with it for years with no probs.  So WTFO???  

ETA - it has nothing to do with Ford, it's just something a stupid manager at U-Haul came up with in the mid-90's when there was a lot of bad press on Explorers. Most of that bad press turned out to be unsubstantiated, and the policy should be reviewed. Jus' sayin'..............
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I was a yard dog for a year or so,ever met the Shoan boys?
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they would not.

Fuck em.

TXL

Exactly what happened to me, and Explorers are full-framed truck chassis. But they will let you tow with a Ranger (same exact chassis), or Blazer, Hyundai, and other unit-body SUV's.   I towed my boat and motorcycles trailer with it for years with no probs.  So WTFO???  

They will also allow you to tow with a mercury mountaineer, Lincoln Aviator or the Mazda one, which are all Explorers with nicer carpet and trim.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#35]
My God, their trucks are old.  I kind of enjoy the adventure of not knowing what will happen during a move.  Will the battery die?  Will we succumb to exhaust fumes?  Will the 3 speed on the tree fall off the column?  
I actually didn't think it was possible to have more noises, squeaks and groans  in the cab than a HMMWV.  What the fuck was that noise?  Was that a bearing?  Was that the starter I saw shoot out from under the hood in a flurry of sparks?  SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE NOISE OF THE WIND BREAKING THROUGH EVERY SEAL IN THE CAB!!!

My last move with them was an in-town move.  Cost about $33.00 w/ insurance.  Truck was old.  I waited 30 minutes behind an extremely hot chick trying to get a rental for out-of-town move.  I was not in a hurry at that moment.  I would not take one of their vehicles on the highway.  Did I mention that their vehicles are old, makes me reminisce about the 70's.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Good night guys.

Holy fail batman.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#37]
LOL!  

Holy shit, I had no idea people actually hated Uhaul or that they sucked so bad.. (I'm blithely indifferent myself)...but this thread is fucking hilarious!

When someone basically says "hey you freaks, go ahead try to fuck me up" in GD.......well.....you should expect to get hit with both barrels and then some. So GD delivers as expected.

But then to make fun of the ONE GUY (ttushooter) who actually tried to provide a well reasoned rationale!

AND THEN after a series of vague and incomplete responses averaging about 9 words each to end the night with a "fuck it, I'm going to bed".......damn this is some great shit going on here!

This is great! LOL

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good night guys.

That's it? That rambling series of...

You know what? Fuck it. It's not worth my time to find a creative and COC-compliant manner in which to roast you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I think you guys have all missed the one element that truly lets you know that you're in a U-Haul, not just in any busted POS truck.... the fact that the cabins smell like a combination of ashtray and fat-man's-ballsack-sweat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Why is a Jeep Wrangler w/ hardtop considered a "convertible" and why won't you let me rent a 2-wheel dolly if I want to tow a tiny Hyundai with it?   (Towing capacity 3500 lbs)

2. Why is the U-Haul place near me only staffed with 1 guy on weekend mornings?  I seriously waited 50 minutes in line behind 2 other guys trying to rent the truck I reserved for that day to move.  

Man....I know......jeeps are considered "soft tops" even when they have a hard top, if for some reason the trailer were to "scorpion" the truck....you and yours will die.

Question 2   Problem there...I staff my centers according to the volume...is this a U-Haul center or an independent dealer?

U-HAUL CENTER VESTAL

3732 Vestal Pkwy E
Vestal, NY 13850

1 guy working & old crappy trucks!

Vestal?

Holy crap.  My grandma lived there.  I didn't think anyone else did.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#41]
This best illustrates the direction this thread went.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
1. Why is a Jeep Wrangler w/ hardtop considered a "convertible" and why won't you let me rent a 2-wheel dolly if I want to tow a tiny Hyundai with it?   (Towing capacity 3500 lbs)

I was told many years ago that it was due to the short wheel base of the Wrangler.  If everything isn't perfect the tail will wag the dog so to say.

This was actually a Jeep thing, not a U-Haul thing.

(Long time Wrangler driver here)

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had two of three uhauls leave me stranded...

The people at Uhaul OKC are good in my book though.  They stayed late toget me home for Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
they do uhaul at a shop i used to work at.  from my experiences there i can say this article is pretty accurate.  http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-na-uhaul24jun24-sp,0,1699358.special  part 2 is especially spot on.

When he said Uhaul, I immediately flashbacked to when we moved your gunsafe with that fucking handtruck.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Why are your trucks so ghetto and ratty? Every time we have rented one its a dump, the store owner is a jerk/weirdo.

eta: guess this answers it.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#46]
UHaul is for the most part, a franchise operation.  There are very few genuine UHaul centers left.  And all franchises must carry the Uhaul merchandise, the locks, the boxes, the hitches and connectors.  Even the cleansers they use.  EVERYTHING is sourced through UHaul for BIG PROFIT, for UHaul.  Not much for franchisee.

Now they do move equipment around, this is why the rates vary.  And why they have strict rules and regulations.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Have you ever banged a chick in Mom's Attic?

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good night guys.

You suck at this game.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#49]
A POS organization if I ever saw one.

A while back when I was first married and had to make a local move, I decided to rent a U-Haul truck because I didn't have a lot to move.

So, I went to their web site and reserved a truck. Gave a CC number and got a confirmation number.

The day of the move I go to U-Haul to get the truck and they tell me the confirmation I got was not a confirmation at all, but a request, and it was up to the local U-Haul guy if he wanted to honor it.

So, no truck for me.

Lucky, I had access to a van and a trailer, otherwise I would have been totally fucked.

U-Haul fucked me royal that day and I will NEVER again use that POS organization.

U-Haul is a complete, fucking joke of a company.
Link Posted: 6/29/2010 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Why would you let a 23 year old woman and her mom travel across country in a truck that isn't fit to drive across the street? Can you sleep at night knowing you put them in danger when they break down at midnight outside of cell service in the middle of east New Mexico?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top