Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You live east of the Mississippi and the nearest Dollar General is more than 10 miles away.
View Quote
I'm west of the Mississippi and it's about 30 min away (and I hate Dollar General).
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They have been popping up everywhere in the last 10 years or so.

I ride through some pretty remote areas on my motorcycle, and I'll pass 3 dollar generals for every gas station.
View Quote

Not far from where I live there's a town that had the only grocery store in the area for many miles around. It's in the foothills of the Appalachians. A DG was built right across the street from the grocery store after they excavated and carved out a section of the hillside to make room for it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dollar General built one on the corner of two state routes in my area.  Not another store in sight.  Not even a gas station.  Just a Dollar General sticking up amongst the cornstalks.

Closest village to it is about 3 miles away and has a population of ~ 300.
View Quote
Corner of 235 and 55?   I run up 235/29 when I go to see Mom in St. Marys.  Pleasant drive.  Lots of opportunities to pass slowpokes.  Often little to no traffic.  Beats I75 in so many ways and adds only 15 minutes to the drive.

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I am no longer rural as we now have one seven miles away instead of seventeen.  I was against it but the town board wanted it and the land owner had pull with the town board.

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Wheres that adak island guy when you need him
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The company will allow a new store (different franchisee?) to be built even two miles away  from an existing one
They are a blight filled with chicom shit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not really sure how to respond to this thread.

The company will allow a new store (different franchisee?) to be built even two miles away  from an existing one
They are a blight filled with chicom shit

And while the per package price is lower, look at the sizes sometime. A lot of it is a smaller package, and the per OUNCE price is quite a bit higher. They're a store for the people who need a bottle of shampoo but don't want to make a special trip to the real grocery store.

And they pay lower wages than Walmart, but they're a bit less visible so nobody cares.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Things that are closer that the Dollar General:

Ziplines
Dinosaur Adventure Park
Helicopter Rides  ( if you're willing to ride in a Robinson which sometimes fall right out of the sky)
955' Bridge over the Arkansas River
Bar and Grill

View Quote

Are Robinsons really THAT bad of aircraft? Or is it lack of maintenance becausr they're cheap enough for people who have no business flying to buy?
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Beckley isn't that bad
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All joking aside, growing up in Southern WV, the closest Walmart was about 45 mins away. There was a "magic mart" about 20 minds in the other direction.

It kinda sucked.

They recently built a DG just a few miles from the farm, I figure a lot of people are pretty happy.

Beckley isn't that bad

At least they had a movie theater that was open all year!

Going over White Oak Mt was always fun in the winter.

That and going down RT3 to Hinton is where I learned to drive.

Eta: because I give zero fucks about persec.

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]

I just looked on DG’s website.

There are 10! within a 10 mile radius of me.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You live east of the Mississippi and the nearest Dollar General is more than 10 miles away.
View Quote

That’s impressive.     Where in Tn?    Zipcode or general area ok.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not really sure how to respond to this thread.
View Quote

Well bless your heart. Im going to go take a piss off my deck now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Are Robinsons really THAT bad of aircraft? Or is it lack of maintenance becausr they're cheap enough for people who have no business flying to buy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ziplines
Dinosaur Adventure Park
Helicopter Rides  ( if you're willing to ride in a Robinson which sometimes fall right out of the sky)
Bar and Grill

It’s Both, and sometimes, just because they are being flown by people lacking good judgement or skill.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Corner of 235 and 55?   I run up 235/29 when I go to see Mom in St. Marys.  Pleasant drive.  Lots of opportunities to pass slowpokes.  Often little to no traffic.  Beats I75 in so many ways and adds only 15 minutes to the drive.

View Quote

That’s the one.

I couldn’t figure out what they were building there at first.  I guess they get some business from Christiansburg, but St. Paris has one just a few miles up the road.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#14]
What if you live north of the Mississippi? And it's about 15 miles to a DG
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live on the back side of Fredonia Mountain on the edge of the Cumberland plateau.  The nearest DG is 4.8 air miles but 10.1 driving miles. There are two others in Dunlap that are just over 10 miles driving but because they are in the valley that are about a 20 to 23 minute drive.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Damn, Missouri....the local methbillies done stole youuns whole Dollar General this time!
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#17]
No stop lights where i live…
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty funny, and accurate. I’m rural enough I can walk outside and shoot an AR off the back porch for an hour and nobody will care, but I just looked on google maps and the closest dollar general is 4.5 miles away.

I just went somewhere last weekend where they sent me directions ahead of time because there was no cell service, and they included ‘when the road turns to dirt go 12.5 miles and take a left at that fork’ I was like oh wow. It took me about 30 minutes to hit that fork and the road was pretty well maintained. That place was truly out there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It’s Both, and sometimes, just because they are being flown by people lacking good judgement or skill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ziplines
Dinosaur Adventure Park
Bar and Grill

There's a particular maneuver that causes what is called mast bump. When that happens, it pretty much crashes.

https://www.keranews.org/news/2022-04-18/robinson-helicopter-model-in-fatal-rowlett-crash-involved-in-68-deaths-since-2012

https://affiliates.legalexaminer.com/transportation/robinson-helicopters-inherently-defective-or-improperly-operated/
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Your wife orders something, and you pull a shotgun on the Amazon delivery driver.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#21]
When you can trade deer hides for glove making at retailers for store credit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Musk is going to be pissed when he disembarks on Mars and sees a Dollar General already there.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#23]
You drive your tractor to the bars.

Link Posted: 10/19/2022 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No stop lights where i live…
View Quote

There's one in my county where the two highways meet.

No clover leaf, a stop light.

Link Posted: 10/19/2022 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There's a particular maneuver that causes what is called mast bump. When that happens, it pretty much crashes.
View Quote

Q: What's a mast bump?

A: The gravest hazard associated with teetering rotor systems is mast-bumping, where the heavy main rotor hub leaves its normal plane of rotation and actually smashes into the mast, causing the mast to break and the rotor system to depart the helicopter, which means the helicopter is now an aircraft without wings.  This can occur during drastic maneuvers or during turbulence or if the pilot reacts less than correctly to an in-flight emergency such as an engine failure. It can happen almost instantaneously–before the pilot can react.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#26]
You cannot find an MLK Boulevard.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#27]
My first assigned patrol area comprised of four townships.  I had one traffic light in the whole four town area and it was only a steady blinking light, red in one direction, yellow caution on the other.

My traffic jams were cows crossing the road.

When I left a few years later they added two more blinking lights, so one town had two blinking lights and another had one.  The other two had none.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ollie's Bargain Outlet > Dollar General.

There, I said it.
View Quote

Yes and no.  Ollies has more oddball cheap bargains and I grab them when I see something.  Like 28 oz fruit cocktail cans for a $1.39.  (USA not china product too)

They threw up a dollar g a mile away.  It is handy, the cheapest eggs around, has bread, and rudimentary groceries like the odd sour cream and taco shell needs versus having to go 10 miles to the real grocery.  Their store brand stuff is actually acceptable grade, in fact their stuff is often better than the supermarket store branded items, ie blocks of cheese at the big supermarket where the house brand is very low grade.  I quit buying Price Chopper branded cheeses and even their bread and rolls are fubared, like thick and thin slicing of bread or hot dog rolls where the slicing doesn’t coincide with the rolls.  Minor annoyances when you don’t want your chili dogs to self destruct before you even get to eat them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I live on the back side of Fredonia Mountain on the edge of the Cumberland plateau.  The nearest DG is 4.8 air miles but 10.1 driving miles. There are two others in Dunlap that are just over 10 miles driving but because they are in the valley that are about a 20 to 23 minute drive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.  I envy your solitude.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#30]
15 miles from a Walmart, 6 miles from a dollar store.

Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/Screenshot_20221018-201210_Maps-2567927.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All joking aside, growing up in Southern WV, the closest Walmart was about 45 mins away. There was a "magic mart" about 20 minds in the other direction.

It kinda sucked.

They recently built a DG just a few miles from the farm, I figure a lot of people are pretty happy.

Beckley isn't that bad

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/Screenshot_20221018-201210_Maps-2567927.jpg

IM Location, I'm in Beaver for work, looking for side jobs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like the nearest Dollar General is 82 miles away..
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.  I envy your solitude.
View Quote

Thanks.  Only a few more weeks of this...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm a DG fan. I don't know what all you haters are about.
View Quote

Seriously. They're the only thing close, and mine is a test store so the have all kinds of random shit for cheap. Other than the fact that the workers seem beat to shit, I don't know what there is to complain about. I'm in a town of 600 or so, it beats driving to "civilization"
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#35]

You see beat up trailers on the side of the road, with non-functioning vehicles in the yard.  The trailer looks like scrap, but people are actually living in it.  And, they have a mud driveway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 12:48:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It kinda sucked.

Beckley isn't that bad

@INI

I live just outside of DC now.

But grew up in Nimitz, WV.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 12:54:17 AM EDT
[#38]
If the gas station has fried chicken
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 1:04:33 AM EDT
[#39]
The nearest hospital with a trauma center is an hour or more drive.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The nearest hospital with a trauma center is an hour or more drive.
View Quote

For us it is exactly one hour. That was actually one of the requirements (no further than an hour) when we were hunting for property.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#41]
You know you're in a rural area when none of the local kids wear helmets when riding their bicycles or motorcycles.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#42]
When there are two stoplights and both are 4 way stop

There is no bowling alley

The local town own the gun range

The 12 cops in the county are all usually in bed at 2am

There are no cops patrolling day shift Saturday and Sunday

The on call officer is probably at church Sunday morning
Wearing polo shirt, khaki pants and a gun belt

Deer have been seen on n town at night

Skunks and armadillos are usually put down with a 410

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You know you're in a rural area when none of the local kids wear helmets when riding their bicycles or motorcycles.
View Quote

And way too many of them around here die in ATV accidents.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#45]
There's 5 counties close by that do not have a single stop light.

The county I am in has 1.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Rural and you know it when it's faster to take gravel roads than the nearest highway...
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#47]

The trifecta…

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There's 5 counties close by that do not have a single stop light.

The county I am in has 1.
View Quote

But how far's the closest DG?

j/k

That's impressive.  I grew up rural in Alabama.  Don't know how county sizes compare to Mo.  I'm sure one adjoining county didn't have a light.  I'm pretty sure another didn't.  Both do now.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It kinda sucked.

Beckley isn't that bad

You know it’s rural when a couple hollers over is a place called ODD, WV. I’ve spent time out that way. Liver in Bluefield for a year. Nice country.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top