Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d rather use a combination of stingers and Javelins than sneak around but that’s me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might want to rethink your comment…
View Quote

*Gives OP second look

Nah.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No attitude intended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not with that attitude.

No attitude intended.

Then think of the implications of that question. You find yourself in a country the size of Texas. There is fighting going on all along the Louisiana border, in Houston, Amarillo, and all around the DFW metroplex.

Go forth and LARP.

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd be in the bushes getting my fuck on with a Javelin and a suppressed bolt action.

I've even got a multicam adidas tracksuit.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Gopnik black multicam track suit, black adidas balaclava, Adidas Jake boots in black, cheap chest rig, a krink and a few molotov's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then think of the implications of that question. You find yourself in a country the size of Texas. There is fighting going on all along the Louisiana border, in Houston, Amarillo, and all around the DFW metroplex.

Go forth and LARP.

View Quote

I am thinking of the implications. I'm thinking of farmland, lakes, streams, bridges, woods, towns, etc. I'm also thinking that civilians are weaving in and out of tank columns and 2nd line vehicles are stopping to ask for directions. I'm thinking that in certain situations, I would want armor but for the majority of the time I would want to hang back, observe and try to drill down on specific actions that would be most disruptive to the enemy.

Sure, the setups are LARPtastic. That said, the discussion on methodologies employed to combat what can be perceived as a huge overmatch, are worthy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Not enough gray...

Also, not enough technical gear. I would much rather have good softshells, gortex etc from OR or Arc than any "combat uniform".

Keep doing you though, bro.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Mp5sd
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Whatever blends into the civilian population.
View Quote

This is the right answer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
RECCE.  You can kill a lot more bad guys and possibly live longer so long as comms are secure.
View Quote

100% this. You’re not going toe to toe with an stronger enemy. Guerrilla warfare is the way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am thinking of the implications. I'm thinking of farmland, lakes, streams, bridges, woods, towns, etc. I'm also thinking that civilians are weaving in and out of tank columns and 2nd line vehicles are stopping to ask for directions. I'm thinking that in certain situations, I would want armor but for the majority of the time I would want to hang back, observe and try to drill down on specific actions that would be most disruptive to the enemy.

Sure, the setups are LARPtastic. That said, the discussion on methodologies employed to combat what can be perceived as a huge overmatch, are worthy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go forth and LARP.

You won't be observing shit. Maybe you'll get stupid lucky and be on a road where a column of vehicles are driving by. Whose? Then what will you do? Maybe you'll hear and explosion off in the distance, or a see a lone vehicle. Whose is it? What can you do about it? Take a selfie?

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’d lean that AR in the corner and get cozy under a woodland camo blanket with some vodka and Ukrainian señoritas. Or whatever they call em over there.

View Quote

Whores. They call them whores.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#13]
What the fuck is RECCE?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
RECCE.  You can kill a lot more bad guys and possibly live longer so long as comms are secure.
View Quote

Knowing nothing about how much armor/air support I would get if going direct action instead, I am going with this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not enough gray...

Also, not enough technical gear. I would much rather have good softshells, gortex etc from OR or Arc than any "combat uniform".

View Quote

So you think the PCU (Protective Combat Uniform) layers 3B, 5 and 6 aren't worthy?

Level 3B (2nd pic) - Patagonia low loft jacket with Primaloft Fusion and Mil Gore Tex shell.

Level 5 (1st pic) - Patagonia highly water resistant shell constructed out of Nextec EPIC Glacier fabric that allows your body to push moisture out.

Level 6 (2nd pic) - Patagonia Gore Tex shell

Coupled with PCU levels 1 and 2, you can find very good configurations for real world use.

ORC, Patagonia, Beyond Clothing, Wildthings, OR (who make the gloves pictured in the RECCE pic) and Halys all have manufactored pieces of the PCU system.

Here is a good article on the PCU system:

https://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/apparel/comprehensive-guide-protective-combat-uniform/

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Tell me you have more money than combat experience...without telling me you have more money than combat experience"

That's the problem with the internet. Nobody knows who they're talking to and even if they post their curriculum vitae anything on the internet is suspect until proven true.

Back to the thread, I didn't mean my initial post to be snarky and maybe I just hate the "recce" terminology, but what exactly makes the second pic a "recce" loadout other than an emphasis on weight savings and additional sustainment gear?

recce = reconnaissance, it's in the name so you'd think there'd be an emphasis on:

information gathering equipment:
day/night optics
photo, video, and audio equipment
accessories, like tripods or portable solar panels, for the above

hide construction equipment so you can observe:
ghillie top or blanket
veils/screen material
pruning shears
folding saws
etool
sand bags
tent poles
ponchos

All of that is well and good, but I don't know what it means for a lone American, like myself, magically transported to the Ukrainian countryside. I'm a nobody though so take everything said with a lot of salt
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suppressed pistol, suppressed rifle, NOD, grenades WP and Frag.  The location of pre positioned mortars and a tube.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
yep!

Family Guy - Peter Doesn't Fit in the Army

Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Against tanks and armored vehicles.  It would be better to dress like a farmer and plant mines and IEDs.
View Quote

This.

In full scale open war, a lot of the cool guy gear and plate carriers will be secondary to long range fires, armor, ISR, Signals, and airpower.  

If you lack the above, be a goat herder with an Icom.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#21]
First thing I would do is ditch all that shit that screams I'm a solider, kill me Ivan. I would try to blend in and look like a farmer or some other local.
During the day I would smile and wave at the commie fucks and when the sun went down I would go to work planting IED and sabotaging shit and doing
whatever I could to make their life miserable  
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I’d hope for two trusted brethren to form a 3 man team.

We’d silently, covertly, discreetly, fuck shit up with suppressed weapons.  

I’d probably have to opt for my blackout with subsonic rounds on this one.

And molotovs!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So you think the PCU (Protective Combat Uniform) layers 3B, 5 and 6 aren't worthy?

Level 3B (2nd pic) - Patagonia low loft jacket with Primaloft Fusion and Mil Gore Tex shell.

Level 5 (1st pic) - Patagonia highly water resistant shell constructed out of Nextec EPIC Glacier fabric that allows your body to push moisture out.

Coupled with PCU levels 1 and 2, you can find very good configurations for real world use.

ORC, Patagonia, Beyond Clothing, Wildthings, OR (who make the gloves pictured in the RECCE pic) and Halys all have manufactored pieces of the PCU system.

https://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/apparel/comprehensive-guide-protective-combat-uniform/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not enough gray...

Neat.

Yeah, I know about the PCU system. There is better stuff out there.

I see who you want to emulate, but any conflict around here you will stand out like a sore thumb and just look silly. Why not have better gear and be a gray man instead of playing dress up?

I stand by what I said. I would much rather look like a ski bunny than some Tier 1 LARPer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a magnifier behind by prism scope so I'll do both.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Direct action.
I have a lot of pent up anger....
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Let's say you are magically teleported to a non-city center in Ukraine. You're pro Ukraine and you've got comms to a native JOC. Do you go Direct Action or RECCE?
View Quote

RECCE. I'm not doing anything until I'm well familiarized with the area, what styles Russian troops wear, etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Neat.

Yeah, I know about the PCU system. There is better stuff out there.

I see who you want to emulate, but any conflict around here you will stand out like a sore thumb and just look silly. Why not have better gear and be a gray man instead of playing dress up?

I stand by what I said. I would much rather look like a ski bunny than some Tier 1 LARPer.
View Quote

I see what you are saying. That said, there are a couple pieces of the PCU system that I wear out and about in rural areas and no one gives it a second glance. The Level 3A jacket is a great piece of kit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
First thing I would do is ditch all that shit that screams I'm a solider, kill me Ivan. I would try to blend in and look like a farmer or some other local.
During the day I would smile and wave at the commie fucks and when the sun went down I would go to work planting IED and sabotaging shit and doing
whatever I could to make their life miserable  
View Quote

I would love to get within mortar range of a Russian airfield. Several HE and WP mortars into the fuel storage and run.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.

In full scale open war, a lot of the cool guy gear and plate carriers will be secondary to long range fires, armor, ISR, Signals, and airpower.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Against tanks and armored vehicles.  It would be better to dress like a farmer and plant mines and IEDs.

This.

If wonder if they are using any of the civilians to supplement regular units. Extra dudes to carry shit, extra guns for an ambush.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Hit and run

Engage on your own terms.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Needs less zenitco. Needs more Krook
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#32]
You're coming around the the better way of thinking.  Blend in with your environment.  In any modern urban environment you'll just look like an obvious target dressed and kitted like that.

Go grab some normal gear from OP, North Face, Mountain Hardware, Arc'teryx, etc.  Layer that over concealable body armor.  CCW a sidearm.  Get a good cell phone and maybe a small dual band UHF/VHF ham radio (to listen mainly).  And put an SBR in an unassuming backpack.  Anything else you need in your pockets and backpack.  No web gear, battle vest, etc...that's just painting a target on yourself.  Stay away from Mole, Camo, velcro, etc.  Look like a guy walking home from his shift at work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The way Russians are hanging out in the open looking complacent is a sniper's wet dream.  A cargo van set up as a mobile nest could rack up quite a tally right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suppressed snipers with thermal and pvs14s are probably priceless about now.

The way Russians are hanging out in the open looking complacent is a sniper's wet dream.  A cargo van set up as a mobile nest could rack up quite a tally right now.

These two things
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd do more harm out there than good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What the fuck is RECCE?
View Quote

Tell me you're not a tactical operator without telling me you're not a tactical operator.

Just kidding. I'm not cool enough to know what that is either. In for answer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#36]
RECCE
Demoralize
Destabilize

Don’t need all that gear to wreak havoc. Little SE Asians in black pajamas and sandals said so.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What the fuck is RECCE?
View Quote

It's what the British and tactical hipsters call Recon, I believe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd do more harm out there than good.
View Quote

Isn't that a soldier's job?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't matter if your comms are secure. As soon as you key up on your encrypted radio you're broadcasting your location to everyone with a signal finder. There are ways to mask your location but you really have to know what you're doing.

That being said, I'd definitely be in a mid level building in a sniper hide with a good long range semi auto and overlooking a critical road. Thermal optics will still get you killed with the quickness though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Why does his face look like a Japanese vagina?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Shoot and scoot all day long. Decisive engagement would be your undoing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Since I dont know shit from shinola, I'd go with the lightest gear, the boots  from #2 , the helmet from #1 and gun #2.

Explain the differences between the two pictures?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Recce. Scout, snope, and call it in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.

One man can schwack a foot patrol from 400 yards, or even better, sow confusion and chaos among the enemy, and make damn sure they know they aren’t safe.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

One man can schwack a foot patrol from 400 yards, or even better, sow confusion and chaos among the enemy, and make damn sure they know they aren’t safe.

Getting the right idea.  You don't need to schwack the whole patrol.  Just drop one, and be unassing before the bullet hits.  Wait a few hours or days and repeat.  It doesn't take many people doing that to really screw with an invading or occupying force.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why does recce not get a sidearm?
View Quote

Because if you are actually doing it then you don’t want one.  I knew verrrrrry few people who would take a sidearm
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#48]
wow, and I thought I was going nuts buying gear in AOR2.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#49]
RECCE.  Just so I can say “RECCE” a lot
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Tell me you're not a tactical operator without telling me you're not a tactical operator.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the fuck is RECCE?

I didn’t know either. Glad someone asked.

Based on other answers in the thread looks to be short for reconnaissance
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top