BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Not that I'm that old, but the few times I had one issued, I had an M7, which I attached to the keeper on the old wooden handle E-tool I carried because the modern one sucks as a e-tool.

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
'cuz the ramrod went away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Bayonet lug on the side was the predominant way to mount a sword or knife bayonet for a number of decades.  In the late-19th century they changed to mounting it underneath for some reason.
'cuz the ramrod went away.
That makes sense, although many were just replaced by cleaning rods or stacking rods in the same spots.  I'm thinking the smaller heads on the rods allowed them to be placed closer to the barrel than ramrods giving clearance for the bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Left side on belt of 782 gear
View Quote
So there is another old enough to remember deuce gear and where the bayonet was carried.  Southpaws carried it on the right side.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pretty much this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ours were never let out of the Arms room.
Pretty much this.
Black Dude and a White Guy got in a fight over an orange water cooler.  After that, our bayonets got revoked.

Funny thing was, I never saw any racial hatred.  The fight was over possession of the coolaid.  Only guys I ever saw screwing around knife fighting, were Mexicans.

Mexican vs. Gurkha knife fight would be worth watching.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

M7 has the same tang as the M9. I've made several M7s.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78788/180428c-539518.jpg
View Quote
Those are awesome! Where can I get one?
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#7]
We wore ours on the support side rear just before one of your canteens.  We kept them on our LBE at all times.

This was the Army Way. Except the bayonet would be on the other hip for a right handed shooter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Apparently Marines carry theirs on the end of their rifles...
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/FallujahMaster022.jpg
View Quote
That was for Weapon Retention during Fallujah and crowd control.  The 101st used theirs with very effective results too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine was carried on the top shelf, right hand side, in my locker in the team room.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I carried mine in my large ALICE pack, only pulling it out to cut something (usually MRE's) and then put it away.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That was for Weapon Retention during Fallujah and crowd control.  The 101st used theirs with very effective results too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apparently Marines carry theirs on the end of their rifles...
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/FallujahMaster022.jpg
When moving through the crowded Souk of Fallujah (pizza slice/Elizabeth), I would sometimes mount my bayonet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I am from an older time and we carried our M8 on our cartridge belt on the left side.  I carried a Kbar on my suspenders for the cartridge belt. We always went into the field with a bayonet. The only time I really used it was to pick up trash and riot control. I never had the opportunity to stick someone though.  I have friend who used their bayonets on “Possum Patrol.”
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The m9 is considerably thicker than the m7, the m7 feels cheap and thin compared to the m9. Wonder how that bayonet charge in We Were Soldiers looked like irl.
View Quote
That bayonet charge was movie fiction.  It did not happen in real life.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The m9 is considerably thicker than the m7, the m7 feels cheap and thin compared to the m9. Wonder how that bayonet charge in We Were Soldiers looked like irl.
I guess you never heard of Sgt. David Falconer of the British Army.  The US hasn't done a Bayonet Charge since Korea, but the Brits did one in Iraq.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  I guess you never heard of Sgt. David Falconer of the British Army.  The US hasn't done a Bayonet Charge since Korea, but the Brits did one in Iraq.
View Quote
Apparently it's SOP for the Brits in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
11b from 2007-2011 they weren’t carried they lived in the arms room. It’s a good looking bayonet but I think the m7 is more practical.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i didn't know there was a link between Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and american history, cool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

American History. And family History.
i didn't know there was a link between Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and american history, cool
In the federalist papers one of the founding Fathers used it as a pen name in newspaper op Ed’s to promote ratification of the constitution if I recall correctly.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The m9 is weak because of the tang.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/880FFC03-C133-4DEC-9537-DD12EBFF2D04-584235.JPG

I believe the m7 has a full tang.

They don’t have the same tang. His picture was of a m7 tang and m7 grip panels which the m9 doesn’t have. There is a itty bitty threaded bit extending from the blade then that screws into a rod that runs through the tubular m9 handle acting as the tang versus the m7 pictured with a full tang where grip panels screw into the tang.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They don’t have the same tang. His picture was of a m7 tang and m7 grip panels which the m9 doesn’t have. There is a itty bitty threaded bit extending from the blade then that screws into a rod that runs through the tubular m9 handle acting as the tang versus the m7 pictured with a full tang where grip panels screw into the tang.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/170028/880FFC03-C133-4DEC-9537-DD12EBFF2D04-584235.JPG

@Kali_Refugee I was going by the stamp in his picture which clearly has M9-XM stamped on it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's interesting that the MARS-L for New Zealand made by LMT features a side mount bayonet lug. What's old is new again!
View Quote
Food location to avoid launching grenades into the back of your bayonet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Food location to avoid launching grenades into the back of your bayonet.
View Quote
When I first saw this pics, just thought why? Wouldn’t have thought of that. Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I guess you never heard of Sgt. David Falconer of the British Army.  The US hasn't done a Bayonet Charge since Korea, but the Brits did one in Iraq.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless Sgt. David Falconer participated in a bayonet charge with US troops in 1965 in the Ia Drang valley, I have no idea what your point is.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 10:05:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@Kali_Refugee I was going by the stamp in his picture which clearly has M9-XM stamped on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't have the same tang. His picture was of a m7 tang and m7 grip panels which the m9 doesn't have. There is a itty bitty threaded bit extending from the blade then that screws into a rod that runs through the tubular m9 handle acting as the tang versus the m7 pictured with a full tang where grip panels screw into the tang.
The M9-XM was an experimental model which had the M7 tang and grips. It was not adopted by DoD.
There was another experimental model (developed for the USMC) which used a full-length tang, but had the standard M9 grip. It was not adopted either.

Kali_Refugee is correct that all the issued M9 bayonets had the short threaded tang with a grip support rod threaded on. That's why the M9 is the weakest US issued bayonet. Most of the early (uncoated blade) production models also had problems with the stainless steel being too brittle. They thought it was the weight reduction cuts and fuller, but it turned out to be the steel quality. They omitted the cuts on future M9 production anyway.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top