Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2016 9:27:51 AM EDT

The communists launched a wave of attacks in the late night hours of 30 January in the I and II Corps Tactical Zones of South Vietnam. This early attack did not lead to widespread defensive measures. When the main communist operation began the next morning the offensive was countrywide and well coordinated, eventually more than 80,000 communist troops striking more than 100 towns and cities, including 36 of 44 provincial capitals, five of the six autonomous cities, 72 of 245 district towns, and the southern capital.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tet_Offensive#cite_note-DouganWeiss8-12][12][/url] The offensive was the largest military operation conducted by either side up to that point in the war.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
That shit was intense....PBS did an awesome job on their special about the final hours when everyone was pulling out.  I highly recommend it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#2]
It was an interesting couple of weeks according to my dad. He was stationed at Can Tho airbase when they were attacked.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That shit was intense....PBS did an awesome job on their special about the final hours when everyone was pulling out.  I highly recommend it!
View Quote
link please

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
My old man's got some wild stories from Tet.  His gunship platoon got a Presidential Unit Citation for their actions during Tet.  His platoon.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

???????
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It was an interesting couple of weeks according to my dad. He was stationed at Can Tho airbase when they were attacked.
View Quote

My one uncle was around Bien Hoa/Long Binh, and another was at Hue. Yeah "interesting" is pretty much what they said about it, well that and basically,"We killed the fuck out of them." So both of them were pretty surprised when after things settled down that the TV told them they'd lost Tet and thus the war.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad was there at the big party. He said it was one hell of a time...
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#9]

China Beach was such a horrible show, yet I watched it because Dana Delaney in a tight t-shirt trumped how bad the rest of the show was. I hated Chloe Webb though, ever time she came on screen I could only think of Sid & Nancy, and I hated Nancy enough that it tainted her forever for me.

Now this show, while still kinda cheesy, I really liked:

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#10]
One of the interesting facts about TET is that the first day of the offensive not a single round fell on Khe Sanh they said.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

One of the interesting facts about TET is that the first day of the offensive not a single round fell on Khe Sanh they said.
View Quote
link please

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top