Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM

[ARCHIVED THREAD] - 350 legend (Page 1 of 2)

Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page
3/3/2023 5:48:20 PM EDT
I have decided I would like a 350 legend deer rifle, but which way to go?

Lgs has Savage Axis combo for $419.

BCA upper for about $300ish.

Capacity really doesn't matter as Ohio mandates no more than 3 rounds in the rifle while hunting deer.

Which is the best bet for putting a deer on the ground inside 200yds?
3/3/2023 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I would just get an upper.
Have given thought to that myself.


Edit: Just went and looked,they have a SS 20"
upper on sale for $310
3/3/2023 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Btw, for those contemplating hunting in the fall, the time to get your gear in order is now, not when it's sold out.
3/3/2023 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Winchester XPR with a can. Tack driver.
3/3/2023 6:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know or care about the topic but I exercised my right to vote.

Do I get some free sh-t?
3/3/2023 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I went DIY with a Wilson Combat 350L barrel 1-15 twist.  Black Friday sale for $180.

Another option is Odin Works with a 1-10 twist
3/3/2023 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Ground hunting, either is fine.  Elevated blind or tree stand, that's a lot of loading and unloading with an AR with a floating firing pin.
3/3/2023 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up going through the same exact scenario last summer...I had an extra lower assembled and not being used so I opted for the AR upper....shoots great and I couldn't be happier. My daughter pretty much took ownership of it last fall....I'd like to pick up another for myself.
3/3/2023 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:
Ground hunting, either is fine.  Elevated blind or tree stand, that's a lot of loading and unloading with an AR with a floating firing pin.
View Quote


Loading and unloading are really not that hard.
3/3/2023 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#9]
BCA is junk buy a DPMS 350 legend upper
3/3/2023 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I know this is AR15.com but I prefer hunting with bolt guns.   I can run my reloads a little hotter.
3/3/2023 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Attached File
some parts i had laying around and a wilson combat barrel and magazine. So far reliable amd accurate.
3/3/2023 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve heard complaints about reliability in ARs with 350L. Do you have time to play with different buffer weights and ammo combinations?
3/3/2023 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:
I’ve heard complaints about reliability in ARs with 350L. Do you have time to play with different buffer weights and ammo combinations?
View Quote


Probably not. It would take away from my hunting or training time.
3/3/2023 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Some BCA stuff is junk. Some isn’t. 6.5G

Attached File
Attached File
Attached File


For 350L hunting 2 MOA is fine.

BCA is very hit or miss. Pun intended.
3/3/2023 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Savage Axis are also trash.
3/3/2023 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Henry in 360 Buckhammer.
3/3/2023 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Savage AXIS Pro Trigger Job Upgrade Kit - M*CARBO


Did the trigger mod on my Savage Axis. Bought the parts at the local hardware store.
It felt a tad short, put a butt pad on and it gave me the right length. Nailed a buck at 60 yards, he dropped.
3/3/2023 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I went with a Ruger American Ranch. Still probably will get an upper though I love this rifle. I have taken 2 deer with it.
3/3/2023 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Attached File
I went the CMMG route. No problem other than subs won’t lock the bolt back suppressed. This is with a rifle buffer system, I haven’t tried carbine buffer setup yet.

There is a whole thread in the AR-variant section

Attached File
3/3/2023 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Quoted:
I’ve heard complaints about reliability in ARs with 350L. Do you have time to play with different buffer weights and ammo combinations?
View Quote


It’s a deer rifle. Does it really need to make it through more than 1-2 rounds without jamming?
3/3/2023 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:


Loading and unloading are really not that hard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ground hunting, either is fine.  Elevated blind or tree stand, that's a lot of loading and unloading with an AR with a floating firing pin.


Loading and unloading are really not that hard.


An AR in 350 is my loaner rifle for kids and new hunters.  After a round has been chambered a 2-3 times, it goes in the range bucket because I no longer trust the primer.  At $2+ a round these days, it gets expensive in a hurry.  My wife's Winchester XPR doesn't have this issue.
3/3/2023 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Quoted:
Henry in 360 Buckhammer.
View Quote


Why buy a rifle in a caliber that the manufacturer will stop supporting in 3 years like clockwork?
3/3/2023 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Quoted:
Btw, for those contemplating hunting in the fall, the time to get your gear in order is now, not when it's sold out.
View Quote

No, the best time is during a Brownells sale.
Brownells is the finest purveyor of firearms accoutrements on the internet and who I trust to outfit me for my pursuit of Odocoileus virginianus whenever they are legally in season in my great state.
It is a past-time I greatly enjoy on public lands while wearing all the blaze orange I can find, hunting from my favorite spot while reminiscing about prior hunts using Brownells-purchased firearms and ammunition.

Kharn
3/3/2023 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136574/BD59EA27-FF65-40B6-A31D-460D8AC5D1F3_jpe-2732750.JPGI went the CMMG route. No problem other than subs won’t lock the bolt back suppressed. This is with a rifle buffer system, I haven’t tried carbine buffer setup yet.

There is a whole thread in the AR-variant section

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136574/FD83B150-A942-424D-BEAC-900162B44B10_jpe-2732748.JPG
View Quote

Do you have a .350 specific suppressor? Or are you using a .45?

Kharn
3/3/2023 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quote History
Quoted:
Savage Axis are also trash.
View Quote


Funny part is I've got a BCA the runs well and is accurate. My .243 Axis has been fantastic since I found a load it likes.

38 woodchucks between 80 and 400yds last year.

It's a hunting rifle. I'm not jumping out of torpedo tunes with it.

My $337 bca



Axis 4 shot group.



3/3/2023 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quote History
Quoted:
Henry in 360 Buckhammer.
View Quote


I'd just stay with my Marlin .45-70
3/3/2023 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quote History
Quoted:


Why buy a rifle in a caliber that the manufacturer will stop supporting in 3 years like clockwork?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Henry in 360 Buckhammer.


Why buy a rifle in a caliber that the manufacturer will stop supporting in 3 years like clockwork?



I understand this worry but I think teaming up with Henry from the get go is going to work. But maybe I’m just optimistic.
3/3/2023 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I keep thinking I’m going to grab the next Ruger American I find in 350 but it would really be a redundant rifle for me. But I always like cheap rifles that could live in my jeep.
3/3/2023 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:

Do you have a .350 specific suppressor? Or are you using a .45?

Kharn
View Quote


I’m using a Silencerco Hybrid right now, but my 9mm wolf man is still in jail (~9 months so far). I’m sure there will be a difference
3/3/2023 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#30]
AR is the way to go. 2 years ago, I had a 175 yard shot and hit high the deer stumbled and stood up on me. I was able get another round down range without having to cycle a bolt.  Being that far I felt if it would have been a bolt gun i would have lost the deer
3/3/2023 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quote History
Quoted:


Probably not. It would take away from my hunting or training time.
View Quote

To be fair, as long as it go bang once, and you did your job, it probably fine to not cycle.

If I had an optic sitting around I was comfortable using at whatever range you're thinking that round is good for, would probably do the upper. If not, axis combo is a great beater deer gun, still use a .308 axis for most of my hunting even with various "better" rifles. A lot to be said for a slim light rifle you don't give a shit about.
3/3/2023 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quote History
Quoted:
Ground hunting, either is fine.  Elevated blind or tree stand, that's a lot of loading and unloading with an AR with a floating firing pin.
View Quote



Huh???
3/3/2023 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:
AR is the way to go. 2 years ago, I had a 175 yard shot and hit high the deer stumbled and stood up on me. I was able get another round down range without having to cycle a bolt.  Being that far I felt if it would have been a bolt gun i would have lost the deer
View Quote

I managed to get 3 out of 6 coyotes a couple of years ago when a pack walked out under my stand with my Grendel. Don't think I could have done it with a .308 bolt.
3/3/2023 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quote History
Quoted:
Ground hunting, either is fine.  Elevated blind or tree stand, that's a lot of loading and unloading with an AR with a floating firing pin.
View Quote


Yeah because AR’s are known for AD’s when going in to battery…
3/3/2023 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quote History
Quoted:


An AR in 350 is my loaner rifle for kids and new hunters.  After a round has been chambered a 2-3 times, it goes in the range bucket because I no longer trust the primer.  At $2+ a round these days, it gets expensive in a hurry.  My wife's Winchester XPR doesn't have this issue.
View Quote



This is your second post here that makes me scratch my head and say “huh”?

3/3/2023 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Quoted:



Huh???
View Quote


Assuming he's stalking to a stand with a round in the chamber and is ok with hauling up a budget bolt action with one still chambered and not ok with an AR since it can make a mark on the primer? Or thinks it's easier enough to unload a bolt action vs AR?

Can't really fathom how this a concern, but think this is at least near the rails of the train of thought.

Eta: I guess clarified above, but meh, primers be dimpled yo.
3/3/2023 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not sure what to tell you. I bought my kids a .350L CVA Scout. It's the stainless/fluted model. Got them a pink laminated stock and forend from Boyd's but figured out I liked the youth-sized stock from CVA better, for the kids to use, and it's still long enough for me to more or less use it.

Anyhoo, with a YHM R9 can on the 20" barrel, book loads of lil'gun and the 165 Hornady FTX are running about 2460' and the 160-grain Cutting Edge Raptor all-copper bullet has beat 2500', from my labradar. The gun will shoot under 2MOA with most loads, close to MOA with several loads. Plenty good enough for 200-225 yard deer hunting, maybe a hair more.

A few weeks ago Dunham's sports had some Winchester subsonic ammo for $20/20 and I bought a box just to get more brass. I've ended up with several boxes of Winchester factory ammo, just to scavenge the brass.

My daughter shot *one* deer with it last fall. Perfect heart shot at ~55 yards, deer flipped on its back and stopped moving.

How all of that translates into bolt gun or semi-auto application, I cannot say. But it's a perfectly functional 200+ yard deer gun. Recoil is negligible.

3/3/2023 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a  .350 L BCA upper with 16” barrel. It is a great shooting setup. BCA has some haters, but I have 2 of their uppers and they have been great.
3/3/2023 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Get the axis. You don’t want to mess with magazines and tuning the gun, besides the crap reputation of BCA.

It’s just easier.

My axis is a great rifle for what it is.
3/3/2023 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quote History
Quoted:
I have a  .350 L BCA upper with 16” barrel. It is a great shooting setup. BCA has some haters, but I have 2 of their uppers and they have been great.
View Quote

This X2....I watched a bunch of YouTubers complaining about failure to feed issues....I had to buy a couple Duramags at a local shop when I ordered my BCA upper directly from BCA because they didn't have any 350 mags in stock....zero issues feeding and the damn thing is pretty darn accurate.
3/3/2023 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quote History
Quoted:
I have a  .350 L BCA upper with 16" barrel. It is a great shooting setup. BCA has some haters, but I have 2 of their uppers and they have been great.
View Quote
Same. I've done 2 in .450 Bushmaster. Tight groups. Flawless reliability.
3/3/2023 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Bear Creek Arsenal is utter dogshit and I’ve personally seen that harsh opinion borne out by reality half a dozen times now.

Don’t buy their crap.
3/3/2023 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quote History
Quoted:
Bear Creek Arsenal is utter dogshit and I’ve personally seen that harsh opinion borne out by reality half a dozen times now.

Don’t buy their crap.
View Quote


I'm not doubting you, but my sample size of one complete rifle purchased 11/22, has been pretty good.
3/3/2023 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quote History
Quoted:
Btw, for those contemplating hunting in the fall, the time to get your gear in order is now, not when it's sold out.
View Quote

I was dithering a bit in a similar conundrum but now waiting to see if that new 40 caliber cartridge is going to be out this year or not. If it's going to be available I'm really tempted to give that a try this fall. Hoping to get more info on it  at NRA show.
3/3/2023 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#45]
My son uses an AR 350 legend and I have a Savage 110.  His furthest deer was at 170 and mine is 120.  Mine is slightly more accurate but I also have better glass.
3/3/2023 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quote History
Quoted:


An AR in 350 is my loaner rifle for kids and new hunters.  After a round has been chambered a 2-3 times, it goes in the range bucket because I no longer trust the primer.  At $2+ a round these days, it gets expensive in a hurry.  My wife's Winchester XPR doesn't have this issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ground hunting, either is fine.  Elevated blind or tree stand, that's a lot of loading and unloading with an AR with a floating firing pin.


Loading and unloading are really not that hard.


An AR in 350 is my loaner rifle for kids and new hunters.  After a round has been chambered a 2-3 times, it goes in the range bucket because I no longer trust the primer.  At $2+ a round these days, it gets expensive in a hurry.  My wife's Winchester XPR doesn't have this issue.
I guess it's my funeral, but I don't load/unload any more often when I tree stand hunt vs ground blind. I may walk to stand with an empty chamber when it is dark, but otherwise I just pull the rifle up loaded (muzzle down).
3/3/2023 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quote History
Quoted:
Bear Creek Arsenal is utter dogshit and I’ve personally seen that harsh opinion borne out by reality half a dozen times now.

Don’t buy their crap.
View Quote


I have a bca 350 upper that runs great and shoots slightly better than moa.

I get the bca hate, but for something I use one week a year it works well.

On another note 350 mags are touch and go, rugers are ok, cmmg are garbage... Best I've found are lancers with a 350 follower. the cmmg  10 rounder I got would only fit 4 rounds and was so spring heavy you could barely load it.
3/3/2023 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quote History
Quoted:

I was dithering a bit in a similar conundrum but now waiting to see if that new 40 caliber cartridge is going to be out this year or not. If it's going to be available I'm really tempted to give that a try this fall. Hoping to get more info on it  at NRA show.
View Quote


What 10mm/ .40 projectiles make sense though? Seems fun, but feel like it's the short range thumper of weird straight wall ARs without really having the thump.
3/3/2023 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quote History
Quoted:


I'm not doubting you, but my sample size of one complete rifle purchased 11/22, has been pretty good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bear Creek Arsenal is utter dogshit and I’ve personally seen that harsh opinion borne out by reality half a dozen times now.

Don’t buy their crap.


I'm not doubting you, but my sample size of one complete rifle purchased 11/22, has been pretty good.


I’ve now seen 4 rifles with chambers cut so poorly the bolt would not close on a loaded round. 2 of those rifles took over a month to get customer to RMA. 1 side charging rifle with bolt JBWelded in place. And one lower sold via website to a minor and then no customer service contact EVER when he tried to get assistance with returning it.
3/3/2023 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quote History
Quoted:


I’ve now seen 4 rifles with chambers cut so poorly the bolt would not close on a loaded round. 2 of those rifles took over a month to get customer to RMA. 1 side charging rifle with bolt JBWelded in place. And one lower sold via website to a minor and then no customer service contact EVER when he tried to get assistance with returning it.
View Quote


Again, not doubting, my only experience is the rifle I bought in November. I'm about 700 rds of 5.56 and 1k rds of .22lr in without issues.

Accuracy is on par with my psa premium.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 2
Next Page

[ARCHIVED THREAD] - 350 legend (Page 1 of 2)