Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

Mmmmm, must disagree with that. We have more than a few students that hold down multiple jobs, some even bring their kids to class. Hell some nights there is 4-5 kids sitting on the sidelines while their parents roll.  And going back to what I said about knowing several gyms that give training to LEOs for FREE, the money issue isn't an issue.

And it's not like an LEO is told "you must commit to 2 years of this" when starting.  Also, given the hubris involved with most people starting combatives,  most (new) students don't even assume (at first) that it's going to take a while to gain some proficiency.

Ever taken someone completely new to guns shooting? Sometimes they listen well, follow good instruction and do well right off the bat. One of our local guys is Asian, had never even touched a gun before, came and trained pistol and rifle and was an attentive student, he did really well and continues to train. Even had some of the old skewl "my granpappy taught me to shoot when I was 12" types scratching their heads thinking how TF did this guy who hasn't touched a weapon before done better than I have?"

Basically even six months on the mat for most people is going to be a helluva edge against an untrained person.

View Quote

When I was a full-time LEO a slow week was a sixty hour week. Lots of LEOs have rotating shifts that make having any kind of regular stuff outside of work nearly impossible. When I was shooting IDPA I was able to make two matches a year. Add in a family and the need to prioritize them outside of work and you just aren't going to be able to make it to regular training see sessions every week
You mentioned students. When I was a student I lived in the gym. Just not the same.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You dont see a lot of cops doing martial art classes is the same as why you dont see them shooting, working out, etc............they generally feel it isnt needed until they get into a situation where they need but by then it is too late.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My buddy runs a dojo and does this routine with the cops in his class. He loves playing the suspect to see if they can get him in cuff's
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Fucking female spending more time doing nothing and telling the others what not to do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
Taser Taser Taser.

You done resisting?

Taser Taser Taser.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:14:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

When I was a full-time LEO a slow week was a sixty hour week. Lots of LEOs have rotating shifts that make having any kind of regular stuff outside of work nearly impossible. When I was shooting IDPA I was able to make two matches a year. Add in a family and the need to prioritize them outside of work and you just aren't going to be able to make it to regular training see sessions every week
You mentioned students. When I was a student I lived in the gym. Just not the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Mmmmm, must disagree with that. We have more than a few students that hold down multiple jobs, some even bring their kids to class. Hell some nights there is 4-5 kids sitting on the sidelines while their parents roll.  And going back to what I said about knowing several gyms that give training to LEOs for FREE, the money issue isn't an issue.

And it's not like an LEO is told "you must commit to 2 years of this" when starting.  Also, given the hubris involved with most people starting combatives,  most (new) students don't even assume (at first) that it's going to take a while to gain some proficiency.

Ever taken someone completely new to guns shooting? Sometimes they listen well, follow good instruction and do well right off the bat. One of our local guys is Asian, had never even touched a gun before, came and trained pistol and rifle and was an attentive student, he did really well and continues to train. Even had some of the old skewl "my granpappy taught me to shoot when I was 12" types scratching their heads thinking how TF did this guy who hasn't touched a weapon before done better than I have?"

Basically even six months on the mat for most people is going to be a helluva edge against an untrained person.

I'll also point out that from a liability perspective, arrest control classes are considerably worse than range day. Every single training cycle, we wind up with multiple people out on light duty for weeks from injuries incurred at one point or another in arrest control.

Doing that on your own time equates to a real risk of injury that isn't covered by workers comp. Right now we've got one rookie out indefinitely - maybe permanently - due to an injury during training. $100k and almost two years of training and development probably into him, and now his career and future is totally uncertain, even after months of Dr visits and exams.

Comparatively, it's far safer to spend your time on the range.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:57:35 AM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

Which pretty much confirms my belief that the reason you guys aren't seeing LEOs regularly attending these training schools is that the officers just dont have the time to predictably dedicate to the extensive course of instruction. Especially if they're married with kids and holding down multiple jobs

From my experience, some of it is ego and not knowing what they don't know.  I ran into the same thing trying to get people to shoot matches with me.  Everyone I work with thinks they're at least decent shots and I'm just extremely highly skilled. The reality is I'm average among competition shooters and many of them are poor shots.  Many are even resistant to extra instruction on the clock.

BJJ instructor that works for us can't get people to take free instruction with him at a very convenient time/location. Same situation, they think they can handle themselves and don't know what they don't know.  In reality, I'm just a small white belt and any two given guys probably would not be able to cuff me without just beating me.

The rest of it is gym hours not lining up with work/personal life schedule.  Classes at smaller gyms typically cater to the 9-5 work schedule.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:02:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By WesJanson:

I'll also point out that from a liability perspective, arrest control classes are considerably worse than range day. Every single training cycle, we wind up with multiple people out on light duty for weeks from injuries incurred at one point or another in arrest control.

Doing that on your own time equates to a real risk of injury that isn't covered by workers comp. Right now we've got one rookie out indefinitely - maybe permanently - due to an injury during training. $100k and almost two years of training and development probably into him, and now his career and future is totally uncertain, even after months of Dr visits and exams.

View All Quotes

People also get weird injuries when they do it for real because they haven't trained it and do strange shit. Or injuries due to suspect actions that were preventable with more training.

It goes both ways, but the brass only see the obvious injuries from training.

I'm more than willing to train on my own when it promotes physical fitness and can keep me from getting hurt. If I get injured while I'm at it, I guess that's what sick days, health insurance, and disability are for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#10]
You're going to get wrapped into a pretzel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I dunno. I've shot with cops.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#13]

I know of probably 5 or more BJJ gyms that allow local LEOs to train for free. You know how many show up? Occasionally, one will show up, get rough with one of the 15 year olds who will then handle them, their ego gets bruised and they don't come back. Grow up, everyone's ego gets bruised doing combatives, let it go cupcake and learn..

We see more COs both current and previous train than we do normal LEOs.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Agencies can't come close to being able to afford the level of training required for most police to be effective at something like Jujutsu (or anything else really).  Police are on their own if they want that.  Few will ever see a year of that kind of training in their entire career.  Some require some martial arts training, but it's only enough to get into trouble with.

I know of probably 5 or more BJJ gyms that allow local LEOs to train for free. You know how many show up? Occasionally, one will show up, get rough with one of the 15 year olds who will then handle them, their ego gets bruised and they don't come back. Grow up, everyone's ego gets bruised doing combatives, let it go cupcake and learn..

Painfully true.

I did bjj with a highway patrol trainer. He said getting cops to put in even a basic amount of effort in training was like pulling teeth.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#14]
My understanding, with most professions, is there is a certain amount of "continuing education" requirements per year.  Police are probably no different.  There's an opportunity.  I'm sure the easy button is some online community college though.

As I said earlier 3 months, 3x per week at the academy would give roughly the same number of hours.

My understanding is there is a wide spectrum of firearm training that is both required or provided.  This includes a number of "specialty" courses.  Often they are department funded.  I'm thinking of all the cops at the SIG academy.  Heck, the explosion of 'tactical response to active shooter' programs now marketed to departments seems to have taken hold after some high profile incidents.

But how many times are police engaging in those situations vs going hands on resisting suspects?  I'm no financial wizard but I understand return on investment.

My point is, there are ample opportunities OUTSIDE OF POLICE PERSONAL TIME to improve their grappling skills to prevent a default setting of applying blunt force trauma.  But keep on I guess.  Let public sentiment continue to drop and the lawsuits continue to rise.

But what do I know?  I'm not a cop.  Maybe I just grew up in that household though?

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

Painfully true.

I did bjj with a highway patrol trainer. He said getting cops to put in even a basic amount of effort in training was like pulling teeth.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Agencies can't come close to being able to afford the level of training required for most police to be effective at something like Jujutsu (or anything else really).  Police are on their own if they want that.  Few will ever see a year of that kind of training in their entire career.  Some require some martial arts training, but it's only enough to get into trouble with.

Painfully true.

I've known quite a few cops who have trained in bjj. I can't recall any of them having excessive force issues. It's the ones who don't know what they're doing that have to resort to striking, kicking, or untrained holds that cause unnecessary injuries or death and get them in trouble. I know one cop who is a 2nd or 3rd degree blackbelt. I can't recall a single allegation against him by anyone that I've ever heard about. I think just general bjj training is vital for anyone signing up to grapple w/ crackheads, or whoever. I mean, obviously.

That being said, if you formalize anything specific into LEO policy/training, it's gonna be problematic, because then you're dealing w/ people who are lazy, or fat, or a woman, and it's not gonna be executed properly or consistently trained. So IMO it's better just trained on an individual level and don't talk about fight club sort of deal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I just took the depositions of two cops yesterday who, despite being in their late 20's, early 30's, had to resort to tasing a 5'5 140 pound 60 year old guy twice to overcome his "passive resistance" to being handcuffed.  That would have been a piece of cake for a 12 year old white belt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#17]
For a novice grappler cop to not get their ass beaten by one of our competitive high schoolers they would need thousands of hours of mat time plus uchikomi (repetitive drilling) at home for certain movements; that's thousands more hours.

You are simply not going to get cops (or anyone with a day job with odd hours, that also has a family and any hobbies other than grappling) to commit to that.  And if they do commit, they are much more likely to do something like BJJ which is much more watered down and easier for an adult novice.

Departments would be better off targeting grapplers as a recruiting pool than trying to train adult cops how to grapple.  It just takes a lot of time and experience to "git gud."
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
For a novice grappler cop to not get their ass beaten by one of our competitive high schoolers they would need thousands of hours of mat time plus uchikomi (repetitive drilling) at home for certain movements; that's thousands more hours.

You are simply not going to get cops (or anyone with a day job with odd hours, that also has a family and any hobbies other than grappling) to commit to that.  And if they do commit, they are much more likely to do something like BJJ which is much more watered down and easier for an adult novice.

Departments would be better off targeting grapplers as a recruiting pool than trying to train adult cops how to grapple.  It just takes a lot of time and experience to "git gud."
View Quote

A mediocre high school wrestler is a handful for a lot of people. They alway had an edge when they started bjj/judo.

But realistically, cops don’t need to be tournament ready to be effective. An hour instruction & and hour rolling per week would put a cop well ahead of the curve.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Underscore_O_Three:
My understanding, with most professions, is there is a certain amount of "continuing education" requirements per year.  Police are probably no different.  There's an opportunity.  I'm sure the easy button is some online community college though.

As I said earlier 3 months, 3x per week at the academy would give roughly the same number of hours.

My understanding is there is a wide spectrum of firearm training that is both required or provided.  This includes a number of "specialty" courses.  Often they are department funded.  I'm thinking of all the cops at the SIG academy.  Heck, the explosion of 'tactical response to active shooter' programs now marketed to departments seems to have taken hold after some high profile incidents.

But how many times are police engaging in those situations vs going hands on resisting suspects?  I'm no financial wizard but I understand return on investment.

My point is, there are ample opportunities OUTSIDE OF POLICE PERSONAL TIME to improve their grappling skills to prevent a default setting of applying blunt force trauma.  But keep on I guess.  Let public sentiment continue to drop and the lawsuits continue to rise.

But what do I know?  I'm not a cop.  Maybe I just grew up in that household though?

View Quote

Any of the agencies I worked at, the recurring training required by case law is regular weapons qualification. That's driven by case law, not state law.
As for the academy, when I went through the academy there was daily PT, but the academy isn't going to have time to do any sort of martial arts three times a week. They also aren't going to put recruits through anything that has more than a minimal risk assessment for the recruit. No academy head is going to call the agency head to explain that they physically damaged the agencies recruit.
Any in-service training is going to take officers off the road on a regular basis requiring that the officers shifts have to be covered with overtime. Not something the agency head is going to want to hear. It's tough enough to get them to cover and pay for reality based training once a year
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#21]

A mediocre high school wrestler is a handful for a lot of people. They alway had an edge when they started bjj/judo.

But realistically, cops don’t need to be tournament ready to be effective. An hour instruction & and hour rolling per week would put a cop well ahead of the curve.
View All Quotes

Yup. Just like so many things a solid understanding of some basics will still put you miles ahead of most people. I look at competition shooting the same way. They don't need to be a Grand Master because that's not realistic but if they were solid USPSA B shooters they'd be miles ahead of most of the general public and their fellow officers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By joker581:

Cops don’t need to be master grapplers or to spend thousands of hours training grappling.
View Quote

I'm sorry you completely misunderstood - that is to maintain the lowest level of competence.  Absolute bottom of the barrel, can somewhat repeat the task under pressure, can demonstrate the technique with one or two errors, level of competency.

People who are not grapplers do not understand the divide between "I wuz lernded by thu union for qualz" and a high school level grappler (which is a low level of competence, I never meant to indicate otherwise).

If anything, training cops a few hours a year is going to make them worse and give them an inflated sense of capability.  Why does anyone here think this is different than shooting?  And shooting is a far easier task than grappling a human being.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dangerranger61007:

People also get weird injuries when they do it for real because they haven't trained it and do strange shit. Or injuries due to suspect actions that were preventable with more training.

It goes both ways, but the brass only see the obvious injuries from training.

I'm more than willing to train on my own when it promotes physical fitness and can keep me from getting hurt. If I get injured while I'm at it, I guess that's what sick days, health insurance, and disability are for.
View Quote
In six years of Judo with lots of tournaments, I only saw a few injuries and only one involved a cop (one of the Senseis).  It was his own fault for not clipping his toe nails.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
I just took the depositions of two cops yesterday who, despite being in their late 20's, early 30's, had to resort to tasing a 5'5 140 pound 60 year old guy twice to overcome his "passive resistance" to being handcuffed.  That would have been a piece of cake for a 12 year old white belt.
View Quote

And then the next YouTube video likely would have been “cops use banned martial arts moves on unsuspecting teenager”.

There is no winning in any of this for the cops.

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:42:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RickFinsta] [#25]
LOL just saw this - related:

https://x.com/9mm_smg/status/1828819650756702714
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

This. The majority of the people they need to use the stuff on, aren’t competitive wrestlers, or BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA fighters. Even the basics of position, leverage and technique/body mechanics, gives them a significant advantage.

For those rare incidents; that’s what backups, tasers and everything else are for.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top