Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone familiar with that brand?
View Quote

I bought their 65in 4k one.. Paid more for it than the one in the OP... Reviews were great. Picture is VERY NICE for the money. If I could talk the GF in to getting this one.. I would have already bought it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not all TV panels are the same.

A $2,500 65" QD-OLED is going to look way better than a 85" el-chepo LED panel.
View Quote

Yeah, I am in the market, but a bad 85" will look like shit.  You can get away with a bad 40" a lot easier.  Regardless, that is cheap, just not for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My house is only 1300sq ft and I have 9 TVs and monitors from 24" to 85" in regular use, not counting laptops and handheld devices
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You sure it's a 75?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Our Sony Bravia beats the snot out of our Walmart special Vizio

We just got a 75” Bravia.  It is amazing

You sure it's a 75?

This is what I have 75” Bravia
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, I am in the market, but a bad 85" will look like shit.  You can get away with a bad 40" a lot easier.  Regardless, that is cheap, just not for me.
View Quote

4k is plenty in the vast majority of viewing situations.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
FYI on the samsung tv's there is a switch on the bottom that shuts off the microphone on the tv. The one on the remote is only powered when you hold the button down.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FYI on the samsung tv's there is a switch on the bottom that they say shuts off the microphone on the tv. The one on the remote is only powered when you hold the button down.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just picked this up today. Samsung's flagship 8K 85" TV. 160 pounds and wasn't fun setting it up lol.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152407/20231217_232210_jpg-3063137.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152407/20231217_190001_jpg-3063139.JPG

Had to wait for my boy to get home to help unload it. Nebraska Furniture Mart was supposed to deliver it between 9am and noon today but failed the mission. No known reason given just that I wasted my entire day waiting and making several calls to their CS gals. Last one finally helped tremendously. Even issued a compensation credit of $500

My phone doesn't do the picture quality justice...the colors, sharpness and clarity.
View Quote

Holy shit dude. That TV is amazing if it's the one I think it is.

6K baller setup.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/samsung-neo-qled-8k/85-class-qn900c-samsung-neo-qled-8k-smart-tv-2023-qn85qn900cfxza/
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/IMG_3350-3062464.jpg

Holy shit balls, bat man.  Salad days.
View Quote

I know… we just bought a 65” from them a month or so ago for like $439. We don’t even watch TV I’m this household, but it’s almost like a piece of furniture…
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#10]
To the handful who commented on Soap Opera effect, thank you.
I had heard of it, and even knew what it meant when you mentioned it.
But, I didn't realize that's what I was seeing.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I disagree, a larger TV that has poor image quality isn’t really worth it.
View Quote

You act as if OP's tv will look like an etch-a-sketch.  Meanwhile billions of people magicallly get by somehow without $4000 OLED tvs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You act as if OP's tv will look like an etch-a-sketch.  Meanwhile billions of people magicallly get by somehow without $4000 OLED tvs.
View Quote

Facts.. I done a tone of research on TV's to play my PS5 on.. The hisense 65in u8h came up with stellar reviews.. I have had it for a few months now.. It looks fantastic
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This. All the brands have acknowledged they make up the loss and then some on the selling of personalized data.
View Quote

Did you post this message on a tin can?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I have 3 of those TV's (not that big tho lol) and they have been good TV's.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/474231/IMG_3350-3062464.jpg

Holy shit balls, bat man.  Salad days.
View Quote

I just bought the 75" version of this TV with Roku for $398
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where? or was it a black friday deal?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WalMart - expired now:
https://slickdeals.net/f/17028958-75-hisense-75r6030k-r6-series-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv-w-alexa-398-free-shipping

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not $398 but still not a bad deal. I love this TV and use a smaller 42" as a monitor.

Attachment Attached File

Amazon Product
  • 4K Ultra High Definition: More pixels on the screen produces a more clear and succinct picture making content look more realistic and true to life. Combined with Hisense's AI UHD Upscaler , non 4K content will get enhanced to near 4K quality.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To the handful who commented on Soap Opera effect, thank you.
I had heard of it, and even knew what it meant when you mentioned it.
But, I didn't realize that's what I was seeing.

View Quote
Nipple hairs are a thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Did you post this message on a tin can?
View Quote

Not saying I don't participate but just stating why they're so cheap nowadays.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

yes but is it 1800 better ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an 85" Sony. Been running flawless since I bought I think in 2019. Now I want one of those new 98" LED TVs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#24]
At the beginning of COVID we bought a 70" Samsung for cheap like $600 or so. One freaking month out of warranty it developed a vertical line down one side of the screen. We lived with it for another year then it just completely went dark and wouldn't power on.

Bought a Sony Bravo 65" at Costco $1200. It beats the absolute crap out of that cheap Samsung in picture quality. It also came with what's essentially a 4 year warranty.

Moral of the story is cheap 4K TVs aren't that great at 4K content (especially with motion) or the upscaling of lower quality content.

Now our 13 year old higher end Samsung 55" LED is still going on strong, but only 1080P.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In terms of image quality, I’d say yes. But I’d never pay $2,500 for a 65” QD-OLED when 77” Samsung S90Cs have been available for <$2,000.

Really though, even flagship/upper midrange 85” mini-LEDs from TCL, Hisense, and even Samsung can be had for ~$2,000 and are going to offer image quality that’s orders of magnitude better than what that would have gotten you even a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A good place to read up on LCD TVs.

https://www.avsforum.com/forums/lcd-flat-panel-displays.166/
View Quote

Yep. I spend more time on AVS than I do here these days.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

TV for the poors.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Chinese crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chinese crap.

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Like it or not, the Chinese are primary OEMs for most LCD components at this point. They’re also the only ones really pushing LED/LCD tech forward in any appreciable way. It’s why Samsung bought into TCL’s CSOT panel manufacturing business. OLED, even QD-OLED, isn’t putting as big a dent into LCD demand as hoped and even then, CSOT will be selling inkjet printed OLEDs in a couple of years using tech they acquired from Japan OLED (JOLED).
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You do realize pretty much ALL tv's are made in China, regardless of maker?  
I hate to break it to you, but even with Samsung and LG, a majority of them are also made in China.  Yes, China.  Some are also made in Vietnam...yes that other communist country and others are in India.  We all know that India is renown for making Sig's best parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don’t buy Chinese crap. Sure, Hisense is usually good, not this one, but don’t buy Chinese crap either way.

You do realize pretty much ALL tv's are made in China, regardless of maker?  
I hate to break it to you, but even with Samsung and LG, a majority of them are also made in China.  Yes, China.  Some are also made in Vietnam...yes that other communist country and others are in India.  We all know that India is renown for making Sig's best parts.

Not sure about that. Pretty sure that the better models of Samsung are all made in SK, Mexico or VN.  The bargain models might be made in China, but a lot of companies have divested from China.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Just like there's not much difference between a $400 Mini-14 and a $2500 Larue AR to a non shooter.

That 85" panel is the same one Sony, Samsung, and LG use so that's a pretty good start.

Among the size the price buys you better dimming which is important for dark scenes, better MPEG processing which is important for fine detail in motion, and even better sounding speakers. But if you're not doing critical viewing in a proper room you'll not notice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 65" version of that TV I got last year and the picure looks great. I can't see what I would gain picture wise paying $2500 instead of the $400 I paid.

Just like there's not much difference between a $400 Mini-14 and a $2500 Larue AR to a non shooter.

That 85" panel is the same one Sony, Samsung, and LG use so that's a pretty good start.

Among the size the price buys you better dimming which is important for dark scenes, better MPEG processing which is important for fine detail in motion, and even better sounding speakers. But if you're not doing critical viewing in a proper room you'll not notice.

Hisense does not use Samsung or LG panels.  Besides them not enabling their Chinese competitors, Hisense specifically claims that they make all of their panels.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And the Over-the-Air signals will look drop dead gorgeous compared to streaming and satellite of the same content.

(Way less compression)
View Quote

True.

No matter what they say, streaming always compresses.  Bluray is the only pure 4K source.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You'll see all the details in the dark areas but then zero light bleeding between the dark edges of the cave entrance and the bright outside.
View Quote

That's the HDR.  You get the same effect with a QLED with the right source material.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can you put a piece of black electrical tape over the camera, like on a computer?
View Quote

If you can find it, some are pinholes.  But a lot don't have them due to the pushback.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hisense does not use Samsung or LG panels.  Besides them not enabling their Chinese competitors, Hisense specifically claims that they make all of their panels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 65" version of that TV I got last year and the picure looks great. I can't see what I would gain picture wise paying $2500 instead of the $400 I paid.

Hisense does not have the ability to produce panels in any significant capacity. They may say that they do, but they source from other Chinese companies, including BOE and CSOT. There’s been a lot of discussion this year about how the 75” versions of their popular U7 and U8 models use an IPS-like ADS panel from BOE, while the other sizes use higher contrast VA panels.

ETA: This Omdia report has a good breakdown of who is getting what and from where: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/omdia-reveals-market-is-favoring-china-panel-makers-as-tcl-and-hisense-fortifies-lcd-tv-panel-purchase-power-with-24-market-share-in-1q23-301825000.html
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not sure about that. Pretty sure that the better models of Samsung are all made in SK, Mexico or VN.  The bargain models might be made in China, but a lot of companies have divested from China.
View Quote

Correct in that final assembly happens in those places, but the components are largely Chinese. Samsung and Sony do use a good amount of Taiwanese AUO panels in higher end LCDs, but the bulk of the panels come from CSOT or BOE.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Like it or not, the Chinese are primary OEMs for most LCD components at this point. They’re also the only ones really pushing LED/LCD tech forward in any appreciable way. It’s why Samsung bought into TCL’s CSOT panel manufacturing business. OLED, even QD-OLED, isn’t putting as big a dent into LCD demand as hoped and even then, CSOT will be selling inkjet printed OLEDs in a couple of years using tech they acquired from Japan OLED (JOLED).
View Quote

China basically has a monopoly on LCD material production, giving them a significant advantage to keep all production there.

They are still having major issues scaling IJP OLEDs to normal TV sizes, they just announced earlier this year they reached 65".
They need to double/triple(~130"/180") that to significantly lessen the capacity and cost gap compared to LCDs.
Scaling and production issues of IJP were supposed to be solved ~5-7years ago... but they still have major issues with pixel density, luminance(brightness), and power consumption.

The focus of current IJP development is to continue driving down costs of OLED screens for the mobile market (phones and laptops).
It could easily be another 4-5years before they get IJP OLEDs figured out and are capable of mass production for consumer TV sizes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's the HDR.  You get the same effect with a QLED with the right source material.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll see all the details in the dark areas but then zero light bleeding between the dark edges of the cave entrance and the bright outside.

No. HDR is about contrast based on peak brightness.
LCD(QLED) based displays will have light bleed between those areas since they have zoned backlights, i.e. why they have issues with blooming/halo effect.
OLED based displays don't have any light bleed since they have per pixel emitters.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

China basically has a monopoly on LCD material production, giving them a significant advantage to keep all production there.

They are still having major issues scaling IJP OLEDs to normal TV sizes, they just announced earlier this year they reached 65".
They need to double/triple(~130"/180") that to significantly lessen the capacity and cost gap compared to LCDs.
Scaling and production issues of IJP were supposed to be solved ~5-7years ago... but they still have major issues with pixel density, luminance(brightness), and power consumption.

The focus of current IJP development is to continue driving down costs of OLED screens for the mobile market (phones and laptops).
It could easily be another 4-5years before they get IJP OLEDs figured out and are capable of mass production for consumer TV sizes.
View Quote

They seem more bullish on it as of late: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1702466953

Not only are they talking about production of large format displays, but at the same presentation in Poland, they unveiled some interesting PC monitor concepts using the tech.

It’s all vapor ware for now of course, but that announcement was the first time I’ve seen them talk about those sorts of luminance numbers and panel sizes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They seem more bullish on it as of late: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1702466953

Not only are they talking about production of large format displays, but at the same presentation in Poland, they unveiled some interesting PC monitor concepts using the tech.

It’s all vapor ware for now of course, but that announcement was the first time I’ve seen them talk about those sorts of luminance numbers and panel sizes.
View Quote

Thanks for the info and link.
If that is all true, that is awesome but I still find it somewhat hard to believe they fixed all those issues in ~2years and will be able to scale it up in size and capacity for mass production in <2years.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Do TV snobs get headphone hair also?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Edited.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#43]
What a great way to watch the world go to hell in 2024. Let me get two.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I got a 75" LG that does 4k at 120 fps a few years ago. For the room I originally bought it for, it was big. For much smaller room that it's in now, it is like an IMAX theater. I would be much better off with a 65" instead.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top