Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 315
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lumper:

This is not correct.  Chicken has dropped tremendously on the wholesale market in the last number of weeks.  Earlier this year I was paying $ 4.00 per lb for boneless skinless chicken breast.  My price on about 3,000 lbs being delivered this Friday will be between $ 1.20 to $ 1.30 a lb.  There is also zero chance of ground beef reaching $ 50.00 in a year or two - excluding the possibility of US hyperinflation.  South American imports will keep the price far lower than that.  There is great reason to be concerned, but it is also important to be accurate with our figures & concerns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alacran:

Chicken prices are pretty high now, maybe not $50/lb. but definitely has increased dramatically already.  I wouldn’t be surprised if beef did go that high.

If it does, that would be another dystopian reality from Soylent Green.

This is not correct.  Chicken has dropped tremendously on the wholesale market in the last number of weeks.  Earlier this year I was paying $ 4.00 per lb for boneless skinless chicken breast.  My price on about 3,000 lbs being delivered this Friday will be between $ 1.20 to $ 1.30 a lb.  There is also zero chance of ground beef reaching $ 50.00 in a year or two - excluding the possibility of US hyperinflation.  South American imports will keep the price far lower than that.  There is great reason to be concerned, but it is also important to be accurate with our figures & concerns.

Evidently, chicken places are making a killing as prices have risen around 30% and not dropped at all.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#2]
New tax for New Zealand farmers by 2025.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWYPpjGCfLY
View Quote

The Fart Tax....coming to the US if they can.  To say liberals hate religion they sure are willing to sacrifice everyone at the alter of climate change.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Evidently, chicken places are making a killing as prices have risen around 30% and not dropped at all.

View All Quotes

Chicken prices are pretty high now, maybe not $50/lb. but definitely has increased dramatically already.  I wouldn’t be surprised if beef did go that high.

If it does, that would be another dystopian reality from Soylent Green.

That could be the lag from the time the price drops, to orders taken, to delivery, to sale to the consumer.   A retail chain isn't going to lower their price until they are sure the price is going to stay down.  Two more weeks and all that, you know.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 9:50:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacran] [#4]
Originally Posted By amannamedjed:
Well, this was unexpected.

I was doing my daily Bible study this morning, and was led by the Spirit to the book of Leviticus, which I typically avoid.  For those of you who do not know, this is where the laws were laid down for the children of Israel on how to conduct religious services, and also how to conduct themselves in their daily lives.  We all know pork was forbidden to them.  Many other things were too, like shell fish.

New International Version
Leviticus 11:20 All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. 21 There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper. 23 But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean.

I have read this before years ago, but thought little of it.  I had no desire then, nor now, to eat crickets and thought it was a non-issue for us modern people.  But given the recent push towards eating crickets, this took me by surprise.  I mention this because I have read a number of times here on arfcom that crickets have chiton in them, which is bad for humans.  But the Lord's food rules were designed to keep the Israelites healthy.

I really don't know what to make of all this.  I know that permitting them to eat crickets is not the same things as commanding them to eat crickets, and I have no intention of eating crickets.  But now I wonder if this is the Lord telling us it is okay, or whether this is some trickery by the devil to subvert God's will by taking His Word out of context.  It would not be the first time he used such deceptive tactics.
View Quote

The internet is full of articles on the benefits to eating crickets.  Surprise, surprise!

There are articles of crickets carrying pathogens and only get from a reputable source. lol

Maybe I’m just cynical but if crickets were really such a great choice, the south would have the tradition of eating crickets on New Year’s Day rather than black-eyed peas.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Might be regional pricing.  I can usually find something on sale weekly if I check my local stores sales circulars.  This week it's pork butt roasts for $.99/# and chicken thighs/drumsticks for $.99/# at another store.  The beef "sales"... aren't.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DaGoose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ_HeCalYq8
View Quote

Short version:  Biden clamped down on Chinese imports of chip technology, which will put a hurting' on the chicoms.  Or, as Confusious once said, "Don't put all your chips on one poker hand." or something like that.

I wonder if Zeihan is right, or is he just parroting the official line about China's technological problems.  Also, if the Biden administration actually clamped down on Chinese chip technology imports, why wasn't this plastered on the front page of the WSJ, Forbes, and other financial outlets.  Also, if this is all true, then it seems like it would incentivize the communists to step up their plans to invade Taiwan so they could get part of that high end chip technology back.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Short version:  Biden clamped down on Chinese imports of chip technology, which will put a hurting' on the chicoms.  Or, as Confusious once said, "Don't put all your chips on one poker hand." or something like that.

I wonder if Zeihan is right, or is he just parroting the official line about China's technological problems.  Also, if the Biden administration actually clamped down on Chinese chip technology imports, why wasn't this plastered on the front page of the WSJ, Forbes, and other financial outlets.  Also, if this is all true, then it seems like it would incentivize the communists to step up their plans to invade Taiwan so they could get part of that high end chip technology back.
View All Quotes

China can't invade Taiwan currently as they don't have enough landing craft to make an invasion actually happen.

Plus after Russia going into Ukraine, I have a feeling they aren't ready to lose a million soldiers in trying to land an invasion force.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]

China can't invade Taiwan currently as they don't have enough landing craft to make an invasion actually happen.

Plus after Russia going into Ukraine, I have a feeling they aren't ready to lose a million soldiers in trying to land an invasion force.
View All Quotes

I still think China will take over Taiwan the same way they did Hong Kong and the Solomon Islands, they will just buy the government and move the military in.

I would also imagine that there are plenty of Chinese spies imbedded in these factories that anything Biden, Trump or anyone else were to do would be useless.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:22:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2tired2run] [#10]

View All Quotes

It was made public but most of the public doesn't understand the severity of these actions.  The weakness here is no other countries are participating at this time....looking at you EU.  But if this sticks china is fucked and we will be for a while until supply chains get shit straightened out.  A lot of our IoT, PoE cameras etc maybe even holosun rely on this stuff from china.  

https://fortune.com/2022/10/10/us-biden-china-semiconductors-chips-export-controls/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/us-aims-hobble-chinas-chip-industry-with-sweeping-new-export-rules-2022-10-07/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/07/biden-administration-tech-restrictions-china
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Might be regional pricing.  I can usually find something on sale weekly if I check my local stores sales circulars.  This week it's pork butt roasts for $.99/# and chicken thighs/drumsticks for $.99/# at another store.  The beef "sales"... aren't.

View Quote

I watch the prices carefully as my business depends on it.  Based on your state location, you should have similar prices as what I was quoted.  The chicken is coming from the southern US, right by you in WV, to me in the North East US.  I would expect the retail price to be about $ 2.00 to $ 2.20 a lb, after packing it out and figuring for typical retail margins, but with all the cost increases, I would not be surprised if the stores tried to raise their margins and hold the higher prices for another week or two.  They probably need it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
You're Not Going To Believe This! | Mark Steyn & Eva Vlaardingerbroek

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]

I still think China will take over Taiwan the same way they did Hong Kong and the Solomon Islands, they will just buy the government and move the military in.

I would also imagine that there are plenty of Chinese spies imbedded in these factories that anything Biden, Trump or anyone else were to do would be useless.

View Quote

With reluctance, I agree with you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, this was unexpected.

I was doing my daily Bible study this morning, and was led by the Spirit to the book of Leviticus, which I typically avoid.  For those of you who do not know, this is where the laws were laid down for the children of Israel on how to conduct religious services, and also how to conduct themselves in their daily lives.  We all know pork was forbidden to them.  Many other things were too, like shell fish.

New International Version
Leviticus 11:20 All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. 21 There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. 22 Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper. 23 But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean.

I have read this before years ago, but thought little of it.  I had no desire then, nor now, to eat crickets and thought it was a non-issue for us modern people.  But given the recent push towards eating crickets, this took me by surprise.  I mention this because I have read a number of times here on arfcom that crickets have chiton in them, which is bad for humans.  But the Lord's food rules were designed to keep the Israelites healthy.

I really don't know what to make of all this.  I know that permitting them to eat crickets is not the same things as commanding them to eat crickets, and I have no intention of eating crickets.  But now I wonder if this is the Lord telling us it is okay, or whether this is some trickery by the devil to subvert God's will by taking His Word out of context.  It would not be the first time he used such deceptive tactics.
View Quote

Recall what one of the 10 plagues was: locusts. This was not an isolated occurrence in that part of the world. Every so often locusts would come through and eat most of the crops. Locusts are edible and if your crops have been converted into bugs, it's either eat the bugs or starve.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spurg] [#16]
The LDS store is about as well stocked as I've seen in the last couple years. Shows everything except dry milk back in stock and most prices are still about where they were a year ago. Good time to fill gaps in your long term food storage.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/new-category/food-storage/food-storage/5637169327.c

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Excerpt -

If you have not stockpiled at least two years of supplies, just stop what you are doing and get on it. Plant a garden if possible. Get chickens. Learn to fish. Notice I have never sold any of the supplies, and rarely even mention models of pro ducts other than a few like Katadyn water filters, or Berkey, but I make no money from that and have no relationships any companies. People often say that I should set up an online store. But that would undermine the message. If I tell you to stock up and then provide a link, the message is undermined.
Most folks smart enough to read my pages have been preparing for a long time. Comparing notes with each other. Searching for holes in their strategies. Some folks even make dry runs by turning off their water and electricity for varying periods in order to find more weaknesses in their plans.

Self defense is vital. We’ve seen 911 is a joke. We are our keeper. A grandmother with a little training can throw some serious self defense downrange.

Later this year we likely will see various governments within the Unites States starting with price controls and increased subsidies. Governments always do this when they are losing control. These policies will exacerbate situations. OGUS will push to make rationing electronic to gain even more control of every aspect of our existence. All the indicators are there.

Stock up thick. The clock is ticking. Conditions are set: 2022 will become serious. 2023 will be a year of starvation in many countries. I do not even see a way out of this. Too much inertia and sabotage. Serious famine creates real pandemic, more war, and HOP — Human Osmotic Pressure — which leads to migrations.

https://michaelyon.locals.com/post/2069821/am-jumping-out-the-overton-window-again
View Quote

It's five months later and none of these predictions came true. Why is this thread still alive?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Halberdier:

It's five months later and none of these predictions came true. Why is this thread still alive?
View Quote

The OP didn't have a timeline.

If a famine is coming you want less than 5 months warning
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:

View All Quotes

Actually, he did. These two sentences are bolded in my quote of the OP.

Later this year we likely will see various governments within the Unites States starting with price controls and increased subsidies.

Conditions are set: 2022 will become serious.

Neither happened and none of the other predictions will either. We are the largest food producer in the world. There is no famine in our future. Prices will go up as these markets are global, but regular food bought even at higher prices will never cost as much as the type of foods that can be stored long term. Making fresh stew at home, even at a higher price, will never cost as much as canned stew and is also far healthier.

Stop listening to doomer gloomers trying to pump up their youtube channel revenue by scaring you. Use facts and simple logic to plan your future.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:45:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrHelper] [#20]

Neither happened and none of the other predictions will either. We are the largest food producer in the world. There is no famine in our future. Prices will go up as these markets are global, but regular food bought even at higher prices will never cost as much as the type of foods that can be stored long term. Making fresh stew at home, even at a higher price, will never cost as much as canned stew and is also far healthier.

Stop listening to doomer gloomers trying to pump up their youtube channel revenue by scaring you. Use facts and simple logic to plan your future.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

You don't get out much do you? You honestly have no idea what is happening in the world? No clue about the current cattle situation or the harvest? There are multiple threads about it here on ARFcom from people who are actual farmers and ranchers. So many linked stories from around the globe about the problems in other countries. How many in this thread alone. So many first hand accounts from members of this board.

I don't know that anyone has predicted famine in the US and I am not sure what you are rambling on about stored foods or why you think that is relevant. But honestly it probably is easier just pretending nothing is happening then to take five minutes and educate yourself. I mean holy shit man, take a trip to the grocery store. Go to your local feed store and ask them.  Or just keep screaming and stamping your feet that nothing is happening, we don't care.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Why do you care? If you are convinced it is nonsense, then just disregard this thread. You can have yourself a sensible chuckle and go about you business as normal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:38:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes
Excerpt -

If you have not stockpiled at least two years of supplies, just stop what you are doing and get on it. Plant a garden if possible. Get chickens. Learn to fish. Notice I have never sold any of the supplies, and rarely even mention models of pro ducts other than a few like Katadyn water filters, or Berkey, but I make no money from that and have no relationships any companies. People often say that I should set up an online store. But that would undermine the message. If I tell you to stock up and then provide a link, the message is undermined.
Most folks smart enough to read my pages have been preparing for a long time. Comparing notes with each other. Searching for holes in their strategies. Some folks even make dry runs by turning off their water and electricity for varying periods in order to find more weaknesses in their plans.

Self defense is vital. We’ve seen 911 is a joke. We are our keeper. A grandmother with a little training can throw some serious self defense downrange.

Later this year we likely will see various governments within the Unites States starting with price controls and increased subsidies. Governments always do this when they are losing control. These policies will exacerbate situations. OGUS will push to make rationing electronic to gain even more control of every aspect of our existence. All the indicators are there.

Stock up thick. The clock is ticking. Conditions are set: 2022 will become serious. 2023 will be a year of starvation in many countries. I do not even see a way out of this. Too much inertia and sabotage. Serious famine creates real pandemic, more war, and HOP — Human Osmotic Pressure — which leads to migrations.

https://michaelyon.locals.com/post/2069821/am-jumping-out-the-overton-window-again

If the government didn't borrow and then hand out food aid to tens of millions of people, you'd probably change your mind pretty quickly.

Then again, true hunger makes the lazy man [and woman] a thief, a beggar, or a worker. In the US, I'd lay my money on the first two.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Probably we will just descend into European style perpetual socialism.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _DR:
Originally Posted By Sader762:
I have preps, I've been doing so for decades. But you know, after a while, I get sick and tired of hearing the doom and gloom that the entire world societies will completely fall apart. Over the past 50 years we've had multiple "this is the one, get ready! " it's all very tiresome. The world's not gonna collapse, ARFcoms wet dream of lawlessness and fending for yourselves will never happen.

Probably we will just descend into European style perpetual socialism.

This. I spend a lot of time in Europe, and they are flabbergasted about how we live - big houses, big vehicles...or multiple vehicles, motorized toys, RVs, etc. They're conditioned to live small, close, and frugal because it's all they know. Our younger generations are being similarly conditioned now.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#26]
From another thread

USDA Predicts Florida 2022-23 Orange Crop at 28M Boxes
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/usda-predicts-florida-2022-23-orange-crop-at-28m-boxes-271665591121

The Agriculture Department issued its forecast for the 2022-23 Florida orange crop at 28 million boxes, about two-thirds of the previous crop.

The USDA had forecast the state would produce 41.1 million boxes of oranges, the smallest crop since World War II, in the 2021-22 crop year.

The lower forecast follows Hurricane Ian, which hit the state just before the harvest began. The storm passed through key citrus-growing areas when it made landfall in Florida on Sept. 28, with maximum sustained winds reaching 150 miles per hour.

In the aftermath, observers saw a lot of fruit on the ground or floating in standing water, rendering it unusable.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Disclose.tv@disclosetv
1h
·
·

Edited
NEW - German government calls on citizens to save energy so the country can get through the winter: "Winter is coming. Let's stick together."

https://gab.com/disclosetv/posts/109160894906207855

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Hopefully!

TommyRobinsonOfficial@TommyRobinsonOfficial
2h
·
They're starting to backtrack 👀

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Disclose.tv@disclosetv
1h
·
·

Edited
JUST IN - US inflation hits 8.2% in September — hotter than expected. Core CPI surges to 6.6%, the highest since 1982.

US futures drop after inflation data.

https://gab.com/disclosetv/posts/109161001425190487

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Hopefully!

2h
·
They're starting to backtrack 👀

https://media.gab.com/system/media_attachments/files/117/868/897/original/d799cd887850cc29.jpg

View Quote

Hopefully, the tide is turning.  Even some Democrats have had enough.

Disclose.tv@disclosetv
2h
·
NEW - Democrat Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez confronted by anti-war protesters.

https://gab.com/disclosetv/posts/109160588987304681

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Everyone seems to be looking for a confrontation anymore.  Civility and deescalation is no longer a thing.

God help up when times get tougher.

2h
·
Biden's America looking more like China everyday.

https://gab.com/TommyRobinsonOfficial/posts/109160819760872076

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Weaponizing banking and income.  Bug will be all we will be able to afford to eat.

WEF caught LYING about their plan to control our bank accounts | Redacted with Clayton Morris

THIS Labor Dept. rule would DESTROY economic freedom

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:56:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TribunusSanGeorgii] [#33]

View All Quotes

Later this year we likely will see various governments within the Unites States starting with price controls and increased subsidies.

You say that this hasn't happened and I disagree.  Inflation is through the roof.  Real inflation, not the .gov numbers.

Here is just one example.

In April of this year I could by a quart of whipping cream for $3.12 at walmart.  

Attachment Attached File

Today that same quart is $4.98 an increase of 60%  

Attachment Attached File

Edit:  It is not necessarily hitting all items at the same percent, but inflation we are facing IS serious.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Just wondering, do you get this pissed off every year when the Cowboys are predicted to go to the Super Bowl and don’t even make the playoffs?

Many times, these things are often determined in the Winter months.  How about we at least wait until then and see what’s taking place before we start saying something will or won’t be happening.  Besides, the designated timeline is actually stated to be in 2023, not October of 2022.

If you were in Europe, shit would already be hitting the fan but that stuff over there never affects us over here in the States, right?

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Know the reasons why Germany and other European nations are protesting | Oneindia News*Explainer

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#36]
MEMA - Make Europe Medieval Again

Michael Yon@MichaelYon
6 hours ago
MEMA — Gigacide: Vaccine for the coming Global Famine
13 October 2022
London, England

Straight from the Labs of “Nobody can make up this stuff,” someone did. Imagine a herd of woke Dr. Evils laying around the globalist labs, high on drugs, laughing, and saying, “And then after killing tens of millions with fake vaccines, we unleash wolves and global famine, make people afraid of chickens and dolphins. Then force vaccines! And they’ll do it! They’ll fight over priority for the latest death jab! We’ll kill every stupid person on earth, and they’ll be happy! They won’t need Nord Stream ‘cause they will be dead! And the forests will regrow and MEMA! Make Europe Medieval Again.”

Open borders are the Invasion Force. Invaders are being issued phones in America. And with those phones, war instructions and payment can be issued for food rations.

https://www.cell.com/trends/pharmacological-sciences/fulltext/S0165-6147(22)00178-X?fbclid=IwAR0uZ6dvSoZ1wNFAr_en1BQeXOKBkCO5pMvIS_8RsQm-NGWt3A2gsMOq_N0#relatedArticles
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#37]
1h
·
Meanwhile in France, queues going back hundreds of vehicles at filling stations, with police checking everyone's fuel gauge, if you've got more than suits them, you're turned away.

https://gab.com/TommyRobinsonOfficial/posts/109161297491108166

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#38]

I haven’t even watched all of it yet, but wow!

Synopsis:
We will not be affected by fertilizer shortage until next year. But the three years of drought we are experiencing now has severely decreased the amount of grain in the USA.  Ranchers are culling their herds now because they can’t feed them or get enough water. So prices in a year or two will skyrocket. Oklahoma ranchers predicted ground beef could reach $50/lb in two years.
View All Quotes
Take note of these statistics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiSYRKDUcss

I haven’t even watched all of it yet, but wow!

Synopsis:
We will not be affected by fertilizer shortage until next year. But the three years of drought we are experiencing now has severely decreased the amount of grain in the USA.  Ranchers are culling their herds now because they can’t feed them or get enough water. So prices in a year or two will skyrocket. Oklahoma ranchers predicted ground beef could reach $50/lb in two years.

Time to buy another cow...
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#39]

You say that this hasn't happened and I disagree.  Inflation is through the roof.  Real inflation, not the .gov numbers.

In April of this year I could by a quart of whipping cream for $3.12 at walmart.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408270/220406_cream_qt_3_12_jpg-2561421.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408270/221013_cream_qt_4_98_jpg-2561422.JPG

Edit:  It is not necessarily hitting all items at the same percent, but inflation we are facing IS serious.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408270/220406_cream_qt_3_12_jpg-2561421.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/408270/221013_cream_qt_4_98_jpg-2561422.JPG

The predictions here are for shortages, not inflation. The fact that you can take a current pic of whipping cream refutes that.

Btw, the stuff is not exactly health food.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#40]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0IcbxnmDUQ

View Quote

We heard after the sabotage of the Nordstream pipelines that it would be very difficult to repair them.  I wondered why, if they were able to build them in the first place.

Here's why.  The connections to the pipe sections were not made on the bottom of the sea.  They were made on board this ship before the pipeline was eased into the water.  This is a frame grab I made from the above video.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Just wondering, do you get this pissed off every year when the Cowboys are predicted to go to the Super Bowl and don’t even make the playoffs?

Many times, these things are often determined in the Winter months.  How about we at least wait until then and see what’s taking place before we start saying something will or won’t be happening.  Besides, the designated timeline is actually stated to be in 2023, not October of 2022.

If you were in Europe, shit would already be hitting the fan but that stuff over there never affects us over here in the States, right?
View All Quotes

I wish the Cowboys would lose every single game. Same for all pro sports teams, if that was possible. They can all go to hell and take the knee there all day long as far as I'm concerned.

We're not going to have a food shortage in this country. It will get more expensive, but there will be enough for everyone. And no, Europe's food and energy issues will not affect our supplies. We have plenty of both, as well as a stable fertilizer supply.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#42]

The predictions here are for shortages, not inflation. The fact that you can take a current pic of whipping cream refutes that.

View All Quotes

Famine doesn’t only happen with food shortages.  It can and has also happened when people simply cannot afford to buy food.  

Inflation also affects the cost effectiveness of growing crops and raising livestock.  These results will not happen all at once, either.  The effects of the worldwide droughts and war really haven’t had an effect yet and who know how long the droughts and war actually will last on top of that.

Even if things were to turn around right now, the effects will last at least for a couple of years.  If things don’t turn around, the effects will only cause a bigger impact down the road and take much longer to recover.  That’s where the real dangers of a worldwide famine come into play, especially if war(s) expand.  Michael Yon is forecasting towards the worse case scenarios with expanding war and civil unrest.  That also coincides with forecasts from The Fourth Turning.  We are currently in a fourth turning.

Again, even with current conditions, the timeframe and impact is much, much longer that a mere five months.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#43]

I wish the Cowboys would lose every single game. Same for all pro sports teams, if that was possible. They can all go to hell and take the knee there all day long as far as I'm concerned.

We're not going to have a food shortage in this country. It will get more expensive, but there will be enough for everyone. And no, Europe's food and energy issues will not affect our supplies. We have plenty of both, as well as a stable fertilizer supply.
View All Quotes

You place a lot more faith in the supply chain than I do.  It wouldn’t take much to disrupt that, especially if war comes to American soil.  Is that out of the realm of possibility for you, too?

Fertilizer is already a big problem.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#44]

We heard after the sabotage of the Nordstream pipelines that it would be very difficult to repair them.  I wondered why, if they were able to build them in the first place.

Here's why.  The connections to the pipe sections were not made on the bottom of the sea.  They were made on board this ship before the pipeline was eased into the water.  This is a frame grab I made from the above video.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451119/Nordstream_png-2561469.JPG

View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0IcbxnmDUQ

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451119/Nordstream_png-2561469.JPG

It took six years to build Nord Stream1 and five years to build Nord Stream2.  Nord Stream2 cost $11 billion.  I would imagine the cost of building another one in the current inflation climate might be 2X that now.

Coincidentally, governments as saying that the hard winters in Europe will last 5 - 10 years.  I’ve also heard that’s the timeline it would take to build adequate alternate energy sources, too.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#45]

You place a lot more faith in the supply chain than I do.  It wouldn’t take much to disrupt that, especially if war comes to American soil.  Is that out of the realm of possibility for you, too?

View All Quotes

Fertilizer is expensive, but not in short supply in this country. You can get all the fertilizer you want, if you're willing to pay the price. Farmers may cut fertilizer use, which will affect supply, but not to the point of a food shortage. Not in this country. It'll be more in the realm of changing crops from biofuels to food.

And what war? Who has the means to meaningfully attack us and not see their civilization completely erased?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Famine doesn’t only happen with food shortages.  It can and has also happened when people simply cannot afford to buy food.  

Inflation also affects the cost effectiveness of growing crops and raising livestock.  These results will not happen all at once, either.  The effects of the worldwide droughts and war really haven’t had an effect yet and who know how long the droughts and war actually will last on top of that.

Even if things were to turn around right now, the effects will last at least for a couple of years.  If things don’t turn around, the effects will only cause a bigger impact down the road and take much longer to recover.  That’s where the real dangers of a worldwide famine come into play, especially if war(s) expand.  Michael Yon is forecasting towards the worse case scenarios with expanding war and civil unrest.  That also coincides with forecasts from The Fourth Turning.  We are currently in a fourth turning.

Again, even with current conditions, the timeframe and impact is much, much longer that a mere five months.
View All Quotes

If we have ample food supplies, and people can't afford to buy it, we'll have a glut, not famine. But it won't happen. We Americans can eat as well as we do now for half the cost, if we just make a little more effort preparing our food and not eat out as much.

Not a dig, but I wouldn't plan my future based predictions from a 25 year old book.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Fertilizer is expensive, but not in short supply in this country. You can get all the fertilizer you want, if you're willing to pay the price. Farmers may cut fertilizer use, which will affect supply, but not to the point of a food shortage. Not in this country. It'll be more in the realm of changing crops from biofuels to food.

And what war? Who has the means to meaningfully attack us and not see their civilization completely erased?
View All Quotes

Doesn’t the US import a big portion of their fertilizer?  That will be a problem in 2023.  We are just now making plans to produce more here in light of world events.

If some “squirrels” can cause a major power outage that lasts for days, it wouldn’t take much for skilled saboteurs to cause a lot more disruptions than that.  The number of countries that wish to do us harm are only growing.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#48]

If we have ample food supplies, and people can't afford to buy it, we'll have a glut, not famine. But it won't happen. We Americans can eat as well as we do now for half the cost, if we just make a little more effort preparing our food and not eat out as much.

Not a dig, but I wouldn't plan my future based predictions from a 25 year old book.

View All Quotes

Can you predict prices for a year from now?  Hell, could you have predicted prices now a year ago?  If someone is seeing the water rise at an alarming rate, it doesn’t take much to conclude they will soon need a boat to get out of their neighborhood rather than the car that’s currently sitting in their garage.  That’s why many are buying food now at current prices rather than waiting until later when they will actually be eating it.

As far as The Fouth Turning goes, it’s a 25 year old book that looks at centuries worth of trends and data.  Dismiss it if you want but the current trends and data are indeed supporting their analysis.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#49]

Can you predict prices for a year from now?  Hell, could you have predicted prices now a year ago?  If someone is seeing the water rise at an alarming rate, it doesn’t take much to conclude they will soon need a boat to get out of their neighborhood rather than the car that’s currently sitting in their garage.  That’s why many are buying food now at current prices rather than waiting until later when they will actually be eating it.

As far as The Fouth Turning goes, it’s a 25 year old book that looks at centuries worth of trends and data.  Dismiss it if you want but the current trends and data are indeed supporting their analysis.

View Quote

I can sort of predict it as I was looking at a corn bill today. One year ago I paid $310 a ton for milled corn. Today it is $440. I will not be surprised to be at least half that again next year and possibly double based on the conversations I have had with people who grow it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:50:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amannamedjed] [#50]
There are and always have been people in this country that are on living on the knife edge.  A few do it from bad choices they make.  But a large number make just enough to pay the rent and put food on the table. There are some programs to help those people, food stamps being the largest. Food pantries run by charities make up a considerable proportion as well.

But we now face a new situation.  Massive inflation combined with reduced crop yields has caused millions of people to tighten the belt. People like me can afford to pay a little more for food. I may not have steak as often, but I will not do without completely.

People on the edge can’t. They have cut out the fast food. They have maxed their food stamp benefits. Yes, I know some of them sell their benefits for cash to buy drugs. I’m not talking about them. I’m talking about people who really are struggling to feed their families.  I’ve met some of these folks.

What really is going to make it hard on these folks is the reduced capacity of the charities.  Everyone understands that when times are hard, during recessions, when inflation is high, contributions to charities fall significantly.  People on the edge depend on charities to help them past the tough spots, like the end of the month when there is no food, no money, no relief in sight.  Or when the car breaks down, and the single mom has to either fix the car so she can go to work or feed the kids.   These are the people who are going to go hungry in this country.

Perhaps you think of the tv images of little African kids with protruding ribs. Yes, that is one form of famine, a particularly bad one.  But famine can mean lots of other things too, like not eating every day, or eating only potatoes every day for a month (which I  have done in my youth when I was poor).  Don’t think that because  you have plenty to eat that every American does as well.
Page / 315
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top