Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they didnt want people messing with their grave, they shouldnt have sank in international waters.

They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into

I say… let ‘em sink!
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We need to show as much concern for our own problems.
View Quote

...or at least our Constitution.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#3]
only if its biden piloting
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why are my taxes paying for government lawyers to argue this?

Huge waste of money. We are reaching the point where the weight of government bureaucracy suffocates private enterprise.
View Quote

Reaching?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah cuz the Titanic was sunk to get rid of the guys fighting against the Federal Reserve
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
That reasoning doesn't work.  Just because a movie was made about it doesn't make it any different from numerous other wrecks sitting on the bottoms.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Going down is easy, coming back not so much.

Titanic is still adding to the exhibit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is the resting place of 119 Americans. I think that gives us some say.
View Quote

How in the fuck does that matter ?
JFC..they won’t be complaining. I could care less.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Meanwhile all over the world, graves are being robbed in the name of "archaeology ".
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NO one can see the tear in the hull it's under the sediment. Maybe under that sediment there is no tear and they never want that discovered. Maybe even the imposion was faked and no one died. I did hear that rumor.
View Quote

Soooo you're implying what exactly?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Should absolutely be allowed to do it.  RMS Titanic Inc. essentially owns the wreck.  They control it -- for the most part -- and have all rights to salvage.  They have done probably hundreds of dives to the wreck at this point, conducting research and recovering artifacts to preserve history.  Almost every artifact you see in one of the Exhibitions around the world is due to RMS Titanic Inc.  I can't think of a more qualified company to do anything like this, to any gravesite or wreck.

The stuff they're trying to save -- like the marconi wireless -- is truly historic.  That wireless is one of the most famous pieces of communications equipment of modern history.

Not to mention, getting ROVs into the wreck to document, map, and photograph the interior would be just brilliant and doesn't disturb anything.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope someone digs me up in the future and at least makes something cool with my bones.
I really don't understand the whole "preserving remains after someone is gone" thing. A memorial of a person, sure, but the remains themselves aren't any different than any of the other millions of people that died before too.

id be tickled to death (no pun) if someone told me my actual bones were going to be displayed as a sculpture.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
What about the nut coal in the wreck?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
how does US law apply over 200 miles outside our borders at the bottom  of the ocean ?

seems a bit of a stretch to me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck what happens down there?
how does US law apply over 200 miles outside our borders at the bottom  of the ocean ?

It would be hilarious to make it a congressional district.  More dead people to vote Democrat down there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
There are no human remains in that wreck.  No bones nothing.  Sea life consumed all that withing weeks of the Titanic hitting the bottom.

Seriously, there are pics of shoes laying on the sea bed so you can tell there was once a body attached to them, once...  Nothing left but the leather that nothing will touch do to the tanning process.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Ballard that he regretted not taking steps to protect Titanic's wreck from others bringing up artifacts.

He didn't detail what those steps would be, but he certainly thought he could have made it hard or impossible for those who came after him to bring up stuff from the wreck. Legally, anyway.

So there is some precedent for it. I don't know how that affects the wreck of Titanic now, though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not in US waters and wasn't a US flagged vessel. Yawn

Who gives a shit. You can frollick all over Normandy, Vietnam, Pearl Harbor and Around the old world trade centers.  There are 13 cemeteries within a 20 mile radius of where I live that you can just go walk over.

Are we just shutting down publicly accessible places because people died there?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#19]
What sort of psychopaths stay up at night worrying about whether someone dives 2+ miles to look at a century old shipwreck?

Oh, wait, it's our government. Nevermind. Of course.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]
So, British flagged ship, sunk in international waters, and Congress thinks they have jurisdiction?

Come again?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#21]
No one seemed to have a problem with anyone picking the remnants of the 1715 "Treasure fleet" clean ....... as long as they got their cut.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hopefully, The Biden clan will get greedy enough to take the Clintons, Obamas and the Bush's on a snorkeling trip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hopefully, The Biden clan will get greedy enough to take the Clintons, Obamas and the Bush's on a snorkeling trip.

Quoted:
If they make the sub out of carbon fiber they don’t really need to worry about it.

Quoted:
2023 is going to be the year the death toll at the titanic increases.

Let us prey.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NO one can see the tear in the hull it's under the sediment. Maybe under that sediment there is no tear and they never want that discovered. Maybe even the imposion was faked and no one died. I did hear that rumor.

That the sinking was a false flag and that no one died? That the thousand + people who supposedly did are still alive and well over 100 years later?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#24]
The ship was actually owned by an American who owned the White Star Line.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Titanic is a hundred year old wreck located in INTERNATIONAL WATERS I don't think the US or any country really,  should have any jurisdiction to tell anyone what they can or can not do with or at the wreck given it's location.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I love learning about the ship and the wreck.  Being able to see the artifacts up close really brings it home.

IMHO it's BS that someone like Bob Ballard wants to horde this experience from people.  The dead don't GAF.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#27]
LOL, gravesite.  Has anyone in .gov watched ANY NG show?  They dig up graves ALL OF THE  TIME.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The U.S. argues that entering the Titanic’s severed hull — or physically altering or disturbing the wreck — is regulated by federal law and its agreement with Britain. Among the government’s concerns is the possible disturbance of artifacts and any human remains that may still exist.

“RMST is not free to disregard this validly enacted federal law, yet that is its stated intent,” U.S. lawyers argued in court documents filed Friday. They added that the shipwreck “will be deprived of the protections Congress granted it.”

https://apnews.com/article/titanic-expedition-rmst-marconi-radio-ce027ac27d8f4804304b5f33fa471dda
View Quote

What don’t they want us to see…?

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Nothing matters until Spain weighs in.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats the dam problem the US Gov has gotten to big and thinks it can rule the world
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

So now where in the US Constitution is the Gov. given the power to do this
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck what happens down there?
View Quote

I have never understood the fascination myself.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Should absolutely be allowed to do it.  RMS Titanic Inc. essentially owns the wreck.  They control it -- for the most part -- and have all rights to salvage.  They have done probably hundreds of dives to the wreck at this point, conducting research and recovering artifacts to preserve history.  Almost every artifact you see in one of the Exhibitions around the world is due to RMS Titanic Inc.  I can't think of a more qualified company to do anything like this, to any gravesite or wreck.

The stuff they're trying to save -- like the marconi wireless -- is truly historic.  That wireless is one of the most famous pieces of communications equipment of modern history.

Not to mention, getting ROVs into the wreck to document, map, and photograph the interior would be just brilliant and doesn't disturb anything.
View Quote

^This

As long as they are not blowing open or completely destroying the wreck to obtain artifacts, I have no problem with this as they are going to be used for research and museum displays.

What we should be worrying about is all the wrecks in the Pacific/Indian Ocean being blown up and salvaged for scrap. Then the soldiers remains dumped as trash once the salvage is done.

Entire grave shipwrecks are gone in the Java Sea due to that.

Looting WW2 Java Sea Wrecks - ''The Biggest Grave Robbery in History''
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top