BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yet another reason the 1911 is obsolete as anything other than a toy.
View Quote
Just shut the hell up already with your bullshit
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Screw that.

Failure is part of learning.  Where this guy really screwed up is taking his firearm to a "gunsmith" in the first place.  He should have kept at it, until it was perfect, or he destroyed the gun.
View Quote
I did that with a PC once. Eventually the smell of a burnt CPU does go away.......eventually.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Huh, weird.

I've never had that problem with a polymer gun. And it still shoots the same bullets as 1911's. and holds more in the magazine too.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
a well fit 1911 is a joy to hold and shoot. my Baer feels like it was cut from one piece of steel and puts half inch holes in shit just when I look at it. O was shooting nickles at 10 yards this week to prove a point.

anyone that doesn't appreciate them is wrong and you can't change my mind.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
a well fit 1911 is a joy to hold and shoot. my Baer feels like it was cut from one piece of steel and puts half inch holes in shit just when I look at it. O was shooting nickles at 10 yards this week to prove a point.

View Quote
Once a 1911 has the mark of Bubba, it is doomed

Buy a good one,  don’t be bubba and that thing will run like a scalded ass ape.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
1911's LOL, the weekend hot rod of the gun world. Work on them all week to take them out on the weekend.
View Quote
I've got a 44 Remington Rand that I run stock, any day of the week.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I appreciate the Ford Model T, but I wouldn't use it as a daily driver in 2019.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've got a 44 Remington Rand that I run stock, any day of the week.
View Quote
Got 43 RR, FJA rebuild that does the same thing.  With GI mags, to boot!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Colt 70-Series Mk IV Gold Cup National Match that arrived in a similar condition.

“I took apart Grandpa’s POS old pistol and it won’t go back together.” *Hands over a box ‘o gun*

That kid deserved a beating for what he did to that once-fine pistol. It shoots great now, but the finish is covered in idiot marks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had four 1911s, 3 if you don't consider a Llama a 1911.
3 ran with no issues at all. The Llama had a minor issue that when fixed allowed it to run 100%
Based on my experience, if your 1911 doesn't work right I am thinking you are the problem.
BTW, all of mine were stock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
About 15 years ago I had an active Army buddy that lived across the street. He stated on numerous occasions that he went to armory school....
(you know where I’m going with this)  One day after an IPSC shoot he told me I really needed a  “tune-up” on my 2011, and that he would do it “free of charge”.
Take one dremel, a drunk 2nd Lt, and my 2011 feed ramp and you get a paper weight. On my Para ordinance  P45 the ramp is integrated into the frame.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I managed to swap in a short trigger and arched MSH all by myself. No dremels were involved. Only had to stretch the trigger a bit so the mag could pass through without dragging.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fuck all that.  Ive got a dremelGlock.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#14]
http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/index.html

At some point I decided it would be a good idea to build a 1911. I wanted a gun suitable for lugging around the wilderness, but can't hit squat with a double-action revolver. More importantly, though, it sounded like fun. (I'll pause while those of you who have built a 1911 finish laughing.)
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL you 1911 people, you can dremel a Glock receiver out of a hunk of velveeta with a jig kit that will operate more reliably than those archaic weapons.
View Quote
Thats actually not a bad idea. The shrapnel created by a Velveeta framed Glock would prolly be considerably less dangerous than the usual Glock shrapnel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
need fitted
View Quote
To be
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
So, in other words, buy a Glock 21/P220/other modern. 45 and leave the 1911 to the old farts.

Got it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ha you funny man.. He has nothing to add, so lets rip on the OPs post. Hurr durr durr Im from Cali!
View Quote
You live in Oregon...that means Portland is in your state. I don't need to say anything more.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, in other words, buy a Glock 21/P220/other modern. 45 and leave the 1911 to the old farts.

Got it.
View Quote
I own both a 1911 and a P220. I love my P220 but it’s a tad large for EDC.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I disagree. That’s how you learn.

I bought a beater S&W Model 10-8 a couple of weeks ago. It had a bobbed hammer, so I bought a new one and fitted it. It’s not perfect yet, but I was able to carefully fit it and make it function well, and will tear it down again soon to work in the DA pull. I’m impressed with the complexity and sensitivity of that gun’s internals, but I’ve done enough gunsmithing and machine work at this point to know how to to fuck it up right off the bat.

John Moses Browning was once an amateur too.
View Quote
I had the benefit of a former USAF shooting team show me how to work on the 1911 and a few other firearms.

My first AK build was....Industrial.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I put one together a while ago. Every single part had to be fitted. Glad I did it but won’t do another one.

And after all the hours of filing, checking, measuring, filing, checking, etc etc etc you end up with....
...A 1911.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're mechanically inclined and take your time a 1911 isn't hard.  I didn't like the ambi safety on my RIA Tactical 1911 so I decided to replace it.  Well, it didn't end there and I started to replace every component because I wanted to learn more about the inner workings of the 1911.

I used mostly Wilson Combat and Fusion Firearms parts and put together a 1911 that I like.  Even had someone Cerekote the upper black and the receiver titanium silver.

Edit:  Every part had to be fitted

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Depends on what's being done.  There are some great books on doing mods to the 1911.  However, it takes a good knowledge of the basics, and some good basic tools.  Example: trigger job.  It's not that hard.  The trick is to go slow.  It may take 10+ fittings to get it right.  Ditto opening up the chamber mouth for better feeding - bevel the edge of the mouth and DO NOT get into the chamber beyond the factory bevel unless you like your brass bulged.   Ditto beveling the ejection port for better ejection, and matching the chamber mouth to the feed ramp.  Go slow, fit, re-fit.

Frankly, this is the stuff that should be done by the factory but often isn't, and is the cause of a reputation for less-than-stellar reliability.  Easy to fix if you take it slow and easy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#25]
lies propagated by shitty manufacturers and gunsmiths who want easy money

Quality guns and parts should be built to spec, and if they don't then the gun or part is defective. Anyone who says otherwise is a shill or after your money.

Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#26]
TL:DR 1911's are crap
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fuck all that.  Ive got a dremel.
View Quote
Noob.  I have a 2-pound hammer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And after all the hours of filing, checking, measuring, filing, checking, etc etc etc you end up with....
...A 1911.
View Quote
As opposed to an ugly, blocky, unergonomic hunk of polymer...
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
TL;DR version. Let real gunsmiths work on your 1911. This is true.
View Quote
If you can assemble an AR, you are an armorer.

If you can assemble a 1911, you are a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ve fit an oversized flat bottom firing pin stop and slide stop.  That cured me of my desire to build a 1911. Ain’t nobody got time fo dat!
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Adding one part at a time to an in-spec, factory 1911 is not too difficult, but can still be very frustrating.

Turning an oversized frame, slide and barrel into a reliable 1911 takes some serious talent.

When you can buy a Colt for under $1K or a semi-custom for under $2K, I just don't see the point of DIY, unless you need a hobby.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fuck all that.  Ive got a dremel hammer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A quick PSA from a gun smith, in regard to 1911s.

I know with the cheap and plentiful supply of AR-15s and the massive bloom of home builders. Most time the parts can be thrown in a bag shaken and it will pretty much self assemble.

Please do not think that all firearms are like that, especially the old 1911. And be aware that most places sell both stock sized and custom oversized parts. Oversized parts need fitted to the gun, stock sized on rare occasions will as well. DO NOT try and force fit the parts! Then use a screwdriver and try and pry them back apart. Messing up both the parts and the once nicely blued frame.

Today I've spent the last 3 hrs of my shift on a gun that was described. It would of been a nice 1.5 hr job if the customer didn't try to DYI. And he had oversized everything gut wise in it.

I know cool story bro, but its more of a "If its above your pay grade seek help before you make it more of a mess."
View Quote
I have done really well with all my AR builds. I thought “hey maybe I should build a 1911...” so I got a Caspian slide and frame, and a book about how to build a 1911. I read the book twice, and sold the slide and frame to a local smith and gave the book to another guy.

There are armorers, aka “gun mechanics” and there are gun smiths. I realized I’m the former. I can do a lot of fitting well, and simple things like sight changes. But if the guy or girl doesn’t have something from here or hasn’t been here you should run like the wind, if you’re dealing with a 1911 or 2011.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#34]
And in other news:  Semi-Sentient Chimpanzees with monkey wrenches, share their individual attempts to work on a jet engine.  Then, collectively determine that the jet engine is bad juju and is to be avoided at all costs for all eternity.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#35]
During WWII there must have been an army of highly skilled gunsmiths who devoted their time to assembling 1911A1 pistols, given the number produced during the war.
There must also have been another small army of such skilled persons who maintained those pistols.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And in other news:  Semi-Sentient Chimpanzees with monkey wrenches, share their individual attempts to work on a jet engine.  Then, collectively determine that the jet engine is bad juju and is to be avoided at all costs for all eternity.
View Quote
Truth. If I ever find myself with a spare week and $5k I will go do the Cylinder and Slide custom build class. Then I’ll be a sentient chimp!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#37]
If you read the old milspec for a 1911 you’ll understand why they rattled so bad. The only company that I know of that still does to that spec is Remington. Everyone else is within that spec but has closed the tolerances for their guns that swapping any part will take some work.

FWIW, your local gunsmith is just better with a dremel than you are.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I continually have to remind some of my friends that most guns are not as easy to assemble yourself as an ar15 is.
View Quote
I Cerakoted  a CZ 75BD. That was a bitch to put back together , but it was was done, no hammers and functions perfectly. 1911 are  piece of piss compared to that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

During WWII there must have been an army of highly skilled gunsmiths who devoted their time to assembling 1911A1 pistols, given the number produced during the war.
There must also have been another small army of such skilled persons who maintained those pistols.  
View Quote
"Skilled" hand labor was cheap then, and everything was Gov inspected/rejected.  Pistols weren't fired at the tempo that they are currently either.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Last 1911 I worked on for wages was bubba'd by the gun shop owners "gunsmith" brother first. It was a used bullseye match colt 70 that had trigger bounce but bubba didn't know what that was. He thought adjusting the sear and hammer on a bench grinder would fix it. The trigger pull was so heavy I could not measure it.

I switched out for cylinder and slide parts which I have been extremely pleased with since then and in future builds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I have Springfield defender 1911 (never heard of it) on layaway but it was tricked out with a ton of Ed brown parts,barrel,mags,mag release,sites etc. guess I’ll see if it actually works when I get it out of pawn
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:03:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Throwing a lower, buffer tube, and a lpk into a bag now, will report back with results after shaking well.
View Quote
Shouldn't take long, it's way simpler than a genetically replicating lifeform, and we all know that had no trouble spontaneously assembling itself by random chance in a pool of goop five minutes after crust of the Earth solidified.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:04:20 AM EDT
[#43]
I thought that's what the big hammer was for...?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:06:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I'll stick with guns I can work on myself.

Quoted:
Shouldn't take long, it's way simpler than a genetically replicating lifeform, and we all know that had no trouble spontaneously assembling itself by random chance in a pool of goop five minutes after crust of the Earth solidified.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Throwing a lower, buffer tube, and a lpk into a bag now, will report back with results after shaking well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#45]
You didnt build that
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top