Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2023 7:17:17 PM EDT
Got all the drilling done today, and fitted with a temp crown on a tooth on the upper right side.

This is my third crown (I think - like I'm really supposed to remember all this "dental shit?").

The permanent crown is being made and will be installed next week, so in the meantime I have the temp one, with instructions not to eat anything "too chewy."

The last time I had this done, the temp crown lasted all of about three hours before it fell out.

So, how long will this one last?

I have this phobia it is going to come loose while I am sleeping and I might swallow it.  In that case, I suppose I would just shit it out the other end at some point, right?

Poll inbound.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Just guy a tube of crown glue; its like $9 at cvs

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they pass through easily if eaten.
Been a long time since I had one but I  believe they are  made quickly if you need a new one.  

That said I am guessing you will lose it half an hour after your dentist closes for the weekend.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Not to thread jack, but my dentist wants to do a crown on a tooth with an old filling which has caused lateral cracks.  He says if I bite something hard, it could split.  I have resisted for a year, because my wife has had horrible luck with crowns falling out.  I don't want to cause a problem that I don't currently have.  Am I right or wrong?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My first crown lasted only days, it made contact with the opposing teeth.  Second one was ground down and no contact, it lasted until I got the permanent one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a temp crown right now, last one fell out when the tooth under it crumbled. Smelled like a wet dumpster on a hot summer day.

Crowns are awful. There’s gotta be a better way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to thread jack, but my dentist wants to do a crown on a tooth with an old filling which has caused lateral cracks.  He says if I bite something hard, it could split.  I have resisted for a year, because my wife has had horrible luck with crowns falling out.  I don't want to cause a problem that I don't currently have.  Am I right or wrong?
View Quote

Here...just for you...

@Drsallee

I think I spelled his user name right.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got all the drilling done today, and fitted with a temp crown on a tooth on the upper right side.

This is my third crown (I think - like I'm really supposed to remember all this "dental shit?").

The permanent crown is being made and will be installed next week, so in the meantime I have the temp one, with instructions not to eat anything "too chewy."

The last time I had this done, the temp crown lasted all of about three hours before it fell out.

So, how long will this one last?

I have this phobia it is going to come loose while I am sleeping and I might swallow it.  In that case, I suppose I would just shit it out the other end at some point, right?

Poll inbound.
View Quote

One hamburger or a butter creme caramel
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Wife says that's why they call them temporary
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Don’t know but I just had a permanent crown come broke after 10 years. Dentist glued it back and and said I will probably get 5 more years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I swallowed a permanant crown.
Didn't even notice right away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My Dentist makes the crown the same day.
I got one a couple weeks ago, do prep work, go home for an hour then back to put it on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it doesn’t hurt when you bite.  Wait til a piece breaks off.  Could go years.  I have patients in my office that we have teeth on the watch list for decades.  You can take a picture of damn near any tooth and magnify it enough and find cracks.   You do run a tiny risk that if the tooth breaks, it may break in such a fashion that it is unrestorable.  This happens, but is very rare.  The risk of complications with a simple crown exceed the risk of a tooth fracturing into a unrestorable condition……so it should be a no brainer.

If it zings when you bite on it, get the crown done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#13]
If your dentists temp crowns fall off as fast as you describe, your dentist needs to up his game.

Certainly, over 40 years of fabricating crowns, I have had a few temps inadvertently dislodge.  It is, as it should be, exceedingly rare.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my first one last year. The temp lasted about a week…went back and they glued it back in. This one lasted about 3 days.

I ended up just keeping it out and chewing very carefully on the opposite side for the last week or so until the permanent was ready.

My permanent gold one has been solidly in place for about 9 months now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If your dentists temp crowns fall off as fast as you describe, your dentist needs to up his game.

Certainly, over 40 years of fabricating crowns, I have had a few temps inadvertently dislodge.  It is, as it should be, exceedingly rare.
View Quote

Yeah but my dentist tells me "you're kind of rough on your teeth," so it's probably not his fault.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine lasted 6 months, it might be a world record though.

Thanks Covid and endless screwups by the tooth carving place.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#17]
If the crown isn’t on your front teeth just get a Cerec crown.

No temp crown, it is CNC’d right there in the office while you wait.  Whole process takes a couple of hours.

Made out of the same material, it just doesn’t have all of the layering that gives a hand crafted crown its authentic look.

Generally costs about the same, possibly cheaper.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If the crown isn’t on your front teeth just get a Cerec crown.

No temp crown, it is CNC’d right there in the office while you wait.  Whole process takes a couple of hours.

Made out of the same material, it just doesn’t have all of the layering that gives a hand crafted crown its authentic look.

Generally costs about the same, possibly cheaper.

View Quote

Nope.

Cerec crowns are not all they are cracked up to be .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top