Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol now that's fucking funny
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True, but the full contact teaches you what it really feels like to get your bell rung, wind knock out of you way more than pulled punches & light contact of most dojos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So a tyranny "studying" a garbage martial arts vs a legitimate trained individual practicing a useful fighting technique

MMA is a sport and the rules of it do not match the rules of self defense either.

Ironic how many people don't stop and think about that.

True, but the full contact teaches you what it really feels like to get your bell rung, wind knock out of you way more than pulled punches & light contact of most dojos.
No argument here. I'm happy that the karate class I had did have free sparring and the more I see the more I realize just how good the classes were.

Me? I suck at it. I'll avoid it or whack you in the head with the nearest heavy object

You can always tell the guys that have not learned what it is to get hit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't get the gym challenges MMA or boxing. How fucking dumb are these people?
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Some aikido wrist locks have value, especially against untrained or unexpecting people.

Learning to fall is another value, also taught in JJ.

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Aikido guy looked like he'd get beaten up by anyone.
View Quote

This.  These bjj vs karate vs Kung Fu videos always feature one strong guy and one over the hill couch potato.  Proves nothing more than what we already know - guns were invented so weaker people don't have to fight stronger people.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I did it for years and you learn to fall fast because you get thrown and uki’d way more than throwing other people.   Watching that dude fall, you could tell in a millisecond he had no training in anything except maybe cross dressing
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet he took it online.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
yeah, if an aikido guy challenges anyone, their mind is wrong and they're doing aikido wrong.  my shinkage teacher is primarily an aikido guy, and teaches a particularly aggressive version of aikido.  he laughs at the 'flowy, nonviolent' guys.  but he's very insistent that "this is not what you want to start shit with, and if you do, you deserve what happens."
View Quote

True the idea of Aikido or Hopkido is to redirect the force being applied on you so that the blow or kick or head butt never lands and you can effect a clean withdrawal.  I has never been meant to stand toe to toe grapple and actually fight.  Effect separation and bag it.  TKD is really a sport.  BJJ is skilled street fighting.  Krav Maga is some interesting stuff, but you have to be willing to kill in a real fight if you employ some of its methods.

But the Aikido skirts do look nice on some women.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Can someone post to capoirera dude getting knocked out gif please. The one where he dances around and there is a big crowd and then immediately gets ktfo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True the idea of Aikido or Hopkido is to redirect the force being applied on you so that the blow or kick or head butt never lands and you can effect a clean withdrawal.  I has never been meant to stand toe to toe grapple and actually fight.  Effect separation and bag it.  TKD is really a sport.  BJJ is skilled street fighting.  Krav Maga is some interesting stuff, but you have to be willing to kill in a real fight if you employ some of its methods.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah, if an aikido guy challenges anyone, their mind is wrong and they're doing aikido wrong.  my shinkage teacher is primarily an aikido guy, and teaches a particularly aggressive version of aikido.  he laughs at the 'flowy, nonviolent' guys.  but he's very insistent that "this is not what you want to start shit with, and if you do, you deserve what happens."

On BJJ:

I do wonder if many of those classes train against effective stoppers against the takedown, which I suspect would be pretty dangerous stuff, like getting your face smashed into the point of someone's knee or getting the back of your head or neck viciously attacked. <--- bjj know-nothing just wondering.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

MMA is a sport and the rules of it do not match the rules of self defense either.

View Quote

Not ironic that you think MMA doesn't apply to self defense.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In a straight up fight, most amateur female purple belts would get smoked by a guy in decent shape that knew anything about fighting.

If you were impressed by the fighting skills of either of those guys in the video, you need to find a better bj school.
View Quote

Lol, sure man, anytime you’re in the states, hit me up and come roll.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

On BJJ:

I do wonder if many of those classes train against effective stoppers against the takedown, which I suspect would be pretty dangerous stuff, like getting your face smashed into the point of someone's knee or getting the back of your head or neck viciously attacked. <--- bjj know-nothing just wondering.
View Quote

Takedowns and takedown defense are a solid fundamental that good schools will train. A lot of sport focused schools will just teach pulling guard to effectively get to your ground game.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Krav has the same problem of other non full contact martial arts, you can’t go 100% in training so it’s applications are questionable. Their weapon defense is solid, but any krav guy that has come to my gym get rolled up by 6 month white belts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can someone post to capoirera dude getting knocked out gif please. The one where he dances around and there is a big crowd and then immediately gets ktfo.
View Quote

Its from a movie.

Funny Capoeira Knockout - Video
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do?

Hmm.

Now where did I say that...
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Takedowns and takedown defense are a solid fundamental that good schools will train. A lot of sport focused schools will just teach pulling guard to effectively get to your ground game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On BJJ:

Have you seen any that will train for things like "you grab him and he attacks your cervical vertebra" or "he sends your face into his knee"  ...?

I literally don't know. Not saying bjj is bad. I just don't know and would like to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Thought it was a tranny. Dude should have brought a rape whistle.

A million years ago when I was taking okinawan kenpo, we had a dude show up during class one night. Said he was a black belt in Hawaiian kenpo. Turned out, he was! He and our instructor went at it for a while. Eventually the senior belts stepped in and called the sparring/ class over. Lots of fun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#19]
If that guy has more than six months training, he should be very angry at Senpai.

He strikes me as a basement dweller that read a couple of books and thought he had a Ki energy force field.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It’s been what, 30+ years now and people still haven’t figured out that Steven Seagal was totally full of shit.
View Quote

He is a legit black belt and taught in Japan. I don't know how good he really is but if he taught in Japan he was doing something right
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He didn't attack him right.
View Quote

Exactly.  Aikido and Hapkido look awesome... when you have a cooperative "attacker" who does exactly what they're supposed to do and dramatically flips onto the mat.

I've lightly sparred with a decently trained Hapkido guy and one who was a black belt in Tang Soo Do.  As soon as I did some shit they weren't expecting, it was over.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Well aikido is a fucking joke sooooo.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I took a few years of Karate with the likes of Tim Kirby (beat Chuck Norris) and others in mid 80s Texas when I was a kid.  I was never good -- at all, but some of my classmates and others we knew from tournaments were excellent fighters.  It was definitely not modern TKD nonsense even though we did kata.  Think Corba Kai type of class.  I've also taken more combative classes in the .mil than I'd like which incorporate BJJ.  I'm still not good. I think rolling on a mat with another dude sharing each other's sweat is gay as fuck.  Nothing wrong with that of course.

That said, from my perspective, intentionally going to the ground such as in BJJ will get you killed right quick when off the mat when by yourself in the real world.  You can be Billy Bad Ass choking someone out and someone else is going to come up and stomp your face in while you're busy dry humping someone on the ground.  I've never seen a real world fight that was guaranteed on on one.   Instead, you need to end the fight on your feet physically with or without a weapon and GTFO ASAP.  Real world combatives isn't 1 on 1 mat sport sparring.  If you're taking BJJ as a sport for fun or because you like to rub skin with others dudes, that's understandable.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

clip ...  As soon as I did some   they weren't expecting, it was over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um.

But ... that applies to ... everyone and all fighting and sport arts.

Maybe a bit more on what you did and why it was silly they didn't expect it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Dat slam tho.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I love how the guys gave up after a double leg

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Have you seen any that will train for things like "you grab him and he attacks your cervical vertebra" or "he sends your face into his knee"  ...?

I literally don't know. Not saying bjj is bad. I just don't know and would like to.
View Quote

What you’re talking about sounds like a Muay Thai clinch. Yes we train that at our gym. Admittedly not much in the bjj classes, but in the MMA and striking classes.

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#30]
The clench looks like a somewhat modified form of what we learned, but develops a lot faster.

Someone putting their face within range of your knee ... you get (preferably both) of your hands on the back of their head, put the striking leg back, and than do the strongest roll up crunch you know how to do combined with the knee strike and use both hands to ram his face into the point of your knee (driving on the back leg too).

Honestly, the thought of doing that to someone in earnest ... they really have to have earned that. It strikes me as a life-altering strike if it fully connects that could well cave in the facial bones.  Had a random (so it's not worth anything per se) discussion at a restraunt with a young guy who did grappling (not sure which type) in combat sport who discussed getting hit like something like that, and his comment on it was "I felt like I rammed into a freight train face first."

TBH, though, if you put yourself in a position where someone can setup and do that to you, you darn near deserve it just for leaving yourself that open.

This is a less setup version that's not as grounded and thus won't hit as hard: https://youtu.be/srMMR3tOSSc?t=62   (also, that's almost straight up karate in the vid from andy. I never heard of him, would like to have seen more back in the day). ETA: The axe kick he does multiple time is ... I class that as showing off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Aikido works best on drunks and people that have no clue how to fight.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Chuck Norris vs Steven Seagal...outcome...who knows as Seagal ducked every fight he told Norris he'd fight him...
View Quote

I actually heard this a while back that Chuck offered up some $$$ to Seagal's top charity ... but, SS never followed through.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Um.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um.

Simple shit like grabbing Tang Soo Do dude's leg during one of his fancy kicks and taking him to the ground.  Any sort of aggressive move toward him resulted in a silly kick or an overly exaggerated punch that was easy to block or use against him.  I'm convinced Tang Soo Do is for flare, not fighting.

My Hapkido buddy couldn't defend against anything at full speed.  Everything he had been trained for was done at half speed so he, in my mind, wasted years studying Hapkido and thinking it made him a badass.  He tried a couple of arm bars and wrist locks which I easily broke free of and dropped him on his ass.  He had only sparred with other cooperative Hapkido folks and it showed.

Other than weak ass MCMAP and generic tussling over the years, I have no training... just decent reflexes, strength, and an understanding of leverage.  I know I would get destroyed by a skilled BJJ dude, boxer, or any other combat art.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

That was some funny shit...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Simple shit like grabbing Tang Soo Do dude's leg during one of his fancy kicks and taking him to the ground.  Any sort of aggressive move toward him resulted in a silly kick or an overly exaggerated punch that was easy to block or use against him.  I'm convinced Tang Soo Do is for flare, not fighting.

My Hapkido buddy couldn't defend against anything at full speed.  Everything he had been trained for was done at half speed so he, in my mind, wasted years studying Hapkido and thinking it made him a badass.  He tried a couple of arm bars and wrist locks which I easily broke free of and dropped him on his ass.  He had only sparred with other cooperative Hapkido folks and it showed.

Other than weak ass MCMAP and generic tussling over the years, I have no training... just decent reflexes, strength, and an understanding of leverage.  I know I would get destroyed by a skilled BJJ dude, boxer, or any other combat art.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um.

So, it's what I expected. Dude hadn't trained in free sparring with rules in place only to keep you from maiming or injuring each other (sparring to learn what it's like with someone not playing along with you AND actively trying to go on the offensive).

Arts that don't have that element are at a radical disadvantage. If you did that with BJJ and MMA they'd have the same problem (and no, I am not saying all the different arts are equally effective at the same things).

It's sort of the same thing with karate ... when it hit mainland japan it was molded into sport, and it came to be that there were two (broadly speaking) categories of karate. You can guess which category most people think of.

I trained for a little while in wado, and we had free sparring incorporated, and the teachers wouldn't let us pass up in rank till we showed mastery of the elements taught for the level we were on. Life decided against me getting to continue, and it looks like I won't get to, but I valued it a lot.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#36]
With the first UFC 30 years ago( I think ) I'm still surprised at responses in these threads

It sure woke me up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Fake news
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Aikido was created from Japanese jujiststu, as was BJJ.

Ironic, no?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#39]
In the first engagement that wasn't BJJ, that was Muy Thai which is probably one of the best striking arts which goes like PB&J with BJJ.
The second one was BJJ and a solid take down.

It's funny hearing people talk smack about BJJ or grappling.  It's humbling to get rolled on by someone who knows even a little more than you.  If there are any challengers go to any BJJ gym and tell the blackbelt how you feel.  After a little humility you will probably join.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go to a MMA gym that is legit and your eyes will be opened. Absolutely you will take a knee to the face at some point and the ribs and you will have the shit beat out of you.

You want to learn how to fight for real? Go to a MMA gym. One that doesn’t give out belts until you start actually submitting people with higher belts. In BJJ it’s very likely you will never go past a blue belt.

Needless to say it is a humbling experience.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In the first engagement that wasn't BJJ, that was Muy Thai which is probably one of the best striking arts which goes like PB&J with BJJ.
The second one was BJJ and a solid take down.

It's funny hearing people talk smack about BJJ or grappling.  It's humbling to get rolled on by someone who knows even a little more than you.  If there are any challengers go to any BJJ gym and tell the blackbelt how you feel.  After a little humility you will probably join.
View Quote

The only people who talk shit about BJJ, MMA or wrestling haven’t experienced them first hand.

Keyboards make everyone martial experts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I’ll spice things up.

The same exact thing happens to Krav Maga practitioners when they do MMA cross overs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Go to a MMA gym that is legit and your eyes will be opened. Absolutely you will take a knee to the face at some point and the ribs and you will have the shit beat out of you.

You want to learn how to fight for real? Go to a MMA gym. One that doesn’t give out belts until you start actually submitting people with higher belts. In BJJ it’s very likely you will never go past a blue belt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I wanted to learn how to fight for real (instead of "real") I'd get a job as a prison guard.

But than, I don't care to take a toothbrush shank to the jugular or kidney so ...
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’ll spice things up.

The same exact thing happens to Krav Maga practitioners when they do MMA cross overs.
View Quote

That’s true, seen it many times. Most of them come in with a humble attitude though so it’s all good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

So the challenge video was a remake.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Op has the perfect fighting style. One time The Rock stopped by his Gym and got rolled by a 150 lb guy who hadn't started officially yet, but had made his first payment to the gym.

OPs dojo, file video:

Steve Brule - Last Resort Fighting

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Dude looked like he never started training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess he wasn’t properly trained.

Dude looked like he never started training.

Are you using correct pronouns? that red blouse...
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#48]
"I'll just fight dirty".

You know, since I can't land a simple jab, I'll definitely land a three stooges eye gouge.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Grab my arm.
Other arm.
MY other arm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
He didn’t attack him right.
View Quote
Okay, I'm gonna show you the only move you'll ever need in a fight. Now, hit me. No, with your other hand."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top