Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
There needs to be a procurement rule to buy USA made whenever possible and failing that, at least buy from one of our allies.

fucking china.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would have thought AK Troopers would be carrying 10mm.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Alaska knows what's up. Beautiful.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would have thought AK Troopers would be carrying 10mm.

https://dps.alaska.gov/getmedia/58f7856a-4df4-4e77-8ae0-8d7de080b188/AST-Psychological.jpg

2, 4, 1, 3, 5
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think the condensation will occur when the lens is cold and the air is warm (higher moisture content).
So if they have to do a tactical entry into a sweat lodge they are effed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing like going from a hot squad car to -20F. Do you think there will be some complaints?

I think the condensation will occur when the lens is cold and the air is warm (higher moisture content).

RDS transition classes include training in methods of fire to account for such a scenario: They'll be fine.
They'll also be fine with G17.5's and Holosun optics as well.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve beat the shit out of some Holosun optics and they’re still running. Two of them are the 510’s, which are open emitters.

I cannot say the same for the Eotechs, Trijicons, and Sigs I’ve had and have personally observed take shits.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I watch bodycam footage from time to time and I've been seeing Holosuns pop up more and more.  Could be a guy buying it himself with the departments permission and not issue though.  I don't know the details.  I did recently see an officer involved shooting and the officer had a Holosun and what looks like a Radian Afterburner on his Glock.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
New batch of police trade-in Glock 22s at AIM Surplus in One . Two. Three
View Quote

Yuup! I love police trade in glocks. Great guns at an excellent price.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Speaking of red dots, doesn't the Idaho State Police also carry Glocks with Holosuns?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Alabama is buying Glock 45's and RMRs . Is Alaska the poor's?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I figured they all carried G20 for bears and such.
View Quote

this. The G20 has become my favorite handgun. Best of all worlds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Is it a 509T X2?  If so good, they chose the best duty/carry mRDS on the market.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

oh goody

now they can hire more 5’1” females who can qualify

View Quote

Jokes on you, there aint any 5'1" females in alaska. They are all tundra wookies.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Shotgun usually isnt very far away Id bet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good gun pic.

But Holosun?

It's a major state LE agency. They should be picking Trijicon or Aimpoint.

Not eotech-those are garbage.
View Quote

Alaska shipping is cheaper from China than Detroit?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

10mm cracks engine blocks and brings down Chinese spy balloons better as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Somebody got some strippers and blow.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
L-O-fucking-L

"But!-But!-CHINESIUM!!!"

LOL
View Quote

I have a Trijicon RMR and multiple Holosun sights (407K, 507K and EPS), and they're all wonderful performers. There's little difference other than the price point and the fact that my Holosuns are in green.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It could be. It could also be the Troopers haggling with management and management picking the best gun but the cheapest optic.

I'm also still surprised they picked 9mm given that Moose, Grizzlies, and other wild game are, uhh, all over Alaska
View Quote

"A rifle would be a better choice", is the thought process behind the choice I would guess.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You know how a lot of these deals go down, Somebody's always got their hands in the cookie jar.
View Quote

Aint that right. Looks like Holosun is taking notes from Sig.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’m really not surprised at the G17 selection as bean counters are all about the cheapest options they can get.
View Quote
I wonder if SIG threw there hat in the ring.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#22]
If I was them, I’d have gone 10mm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nothing like going from a hot squad car to -20F. Do you think there will be some complaints?
View Quote

Excellent point
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Good gun pic.

But Holosun?

It's a major state LE agency. They should be picking Trijicon or Aimpoint.

Not eotech-those are garbage.
View Quote

Our holosuns have held up better than the RMR that was tested. It’s also cheaper than the Aimpoint. Budgets are a thing everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

2, 4, 1, 3, 5
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Good for them on the gun not sure about the optic though. Personally I've yet to see the appeal for optics on pistols at all.

But if I was going to use one I don't think it'd be holosun.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

RDS transition classes include training in methods of fire to account for such a scenario: They'll be fine.

Jay
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jay

I was trying to be funny. I don’t have a problem with red dots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wonder if SIG threw there hat in the ring.
View Quote

Oh Im sure they did. But that whole having your weapon go bang while it's in the holster is a major turn off on the LE side. Even the "bean counters" know that the lawsuits would eat up the savings they would get out of that contract. The Big Army has the luxury of just blaming it on Pvt Snuffy and his team leader Sgt. Slaughter. Civilian LE does not have that advantage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

When working in cold environments it’s better to have the vehicle temperature only warm enough that you are comfortable in your cold weather gear. You don’t want to be taking your coat on and off and you don’t want to be sweating.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Um, yea, and then there's that little thing about everyone wearing heavy jackets...  Best mm seems like a much better choice.
View Quote

Good thing they didn’t get 30 Carbine, that would bounce right off!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Call me paranoid, but if they are all made in CN, they could be putting/sneaking anything in those....
View Quote

like what? a cd player?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I too am kinda floored they chose Holosun. I wonder, is there any chance they have or plan to open any manufacturing in North America? Call me paranoid, but if they are all made in CN, they could be putting/sneaking anything in those....
View Quote

Oh man, wait till you find out where their radios and cell phones were made
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#33]
That’s a shame.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#34]
They are getting about 6 months on the batteries.  The optics themselves are holding up well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Wonder what ammo they are going to use?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I too am kinda floored they chose Holosun. I wonder, is there any chance they have or plan to open any manufacturing in North America? Call me paranoid, but if they are all made in CN, they could be putting/sneaking anything in those....
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Um, yea, and then there's that little thing about everyone wearing heavy jackets...  Best mm seems like a much better choice.
View Quote
We always wear multiple layers.

I have had five/six layers on of different materials.

Last testing the troopers did the 9mm did not fair to well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They don't even sell 17 Gen 5 with an MOS cut anymore except for department orders.
Civilians and blue labels are stuck with either custom cuts or the 47 Gen 5 MOS.

Kharn
View Quote

Per our Glock rep, they are phasing out the 17.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#39]
To everyone who is saying "they should have bought 10mm" - consider the logistics of ammunition supply for a 350+ person agency.  You have to be able to get ammunition for training and regular duty use replacement.  I was responsible for a 150+ persons agency with 9mm, .40, 12ga and 5.56.  I would keep a years worth of ammo in reserve.  There were several occasions during my career that we would have a 4-6 month lead for ammunition orders to be filled (state bid contract), the longest was 10 months for duty rifle ammunition (Federal bonded soft point).  These were common calibers, 10mm while mainstream is not a "main production line" caliber.  
Other thing to remember is most cops aren't gun folk.  More than you think have never shot a gun when going into the profession.  Tis easier to train with a lesser recoiling weapon, more capacity and as long as they buy a good bonded projectile for duty use then penetration shouldn't be a concern (I will admit last gel data I evaluated was Gold Dot 9 vs 40 and they were neck in neck - negating the old advantage of the heavier .40 projectile).  I guess evaluate the OIS they have, people or animal?  If you know you're going up against a critter - grab the long gun, right?!  Rounds on target are better than rounds that never connect!!
Just another point of view to consider!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
To everyone who is saying "they should have bought 10mm" - consider the logistics of ammunition supply for a 350+ person agency.  You have to be able to get ammunition for training and regular duty use replacement.  I was responsible for a 150+ persons agency with 9mm, .40, 12ga and 5.56.  I would keep a years worth of ammo in reserve.  There were several occasions during my career that we would have a 4-6 month lead for ammunition orders to be filled (state bid contract), the longest was 10 months for duty rifle ammunition (Federal bonded soft point).  These were common calibers, 10mm while mainstream is not a "main production line" caliber.  
Other thing to remember is most cops aren't gun folk.  More than you think have never shot a gun when going into the profession.  Tis easier to train with a lesser recoiling weapon, more capacity and as long as they buy a good bonded projectile for duty use then penetration shouldn't be a concern (I will admit last gel data I evaluated was Gold Dot 9 vs 40 and they were neck in neck - negating the old advantage of the heavier .40 projectile).  I guess evaluate the OIS they have, people or animal?  If you know you're going up against a critter - grab the long gun, right?!  Rounds on target are better than rounds that never connect!!
Just another point of view to consider!
View Quote

Glock 10 mm isn't near as reliable is 9 mm either. At least with the proper loads that make 10 mm an actual 10 mm.

I would definitely never want it issued to me when it is primarily for use against armed human subjects.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#41]

It would be more funny if it was a 10 year old sitting there, for China's use of child labor, and all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#42]
delete
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wonder what ammo they are going to use?
View Quote

Winchester Ranger 147gn
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top