Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
2/20/2014 11:34:59 AM EDT

Anyone ever make these? I don't quite understand the name of the dish, but it seems like they would probably be pretty tasty ...

Once and Future Beans

2/20/2014 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#1]
King Arthur was known as the once and future king.

He was seen as the best king ever to grace the planet.

Alton is saying his recipe for beans is the best to ever grace the planet.
2/20/2014 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#2]
That's my favorite bean recipe, it's awesome.
2/20/2014 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Quoted:
King Arthur was known as the once and future king.

He was seen as the best king ever to grace the planet.

Alton is saying his recipe for beans is the best to ever grace the planet.
View Quote


Haven't tried the beans, but this is the correct response for the name.

T H White's "The Once and Future King" is worth reading.
2/20/2014 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quote History
Quoted:


Haven't tried the beans, but this is the correct response for the name.

T H White's "The Once and Future King" is worth reading.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

King Arthur was known as the once and future king.

He was seen as the best king ever to grace the planet.

Alton is saying his recipe for beans is the best to ever grace the planet.


Haven't tried the beans, but this is the correct response for the name.

T H White's "The Once and Future King" is worth reading.


That's interesting.

Thanks, guys.

2/20/2014 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how good a crock pot variant would be.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
2/20/2014 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quote History
Quoted:

I wonder how difficult a crock pot variant would be.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That's actually how I was thinking about doing it.  Do the initial cooking (bacon, onion, jalapenos, etc.) in a cast iron skillet, then add everything including the beans and liquids into a crock pot and let it roll.

2/20/2014 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Quoted:

That's my favorite bean recipe, it's awesome.
View Quote

Did you use a Dutch oven, or some other method?

2/20/2014 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I make these all the time.  I only use a dutch oven, and they turn out amazing.  Its a fantastic recipe, and really easy.  These, over a slab of cornbread=heaven on a plate.
2/20/2014 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Since we're on the subject of A Once And Future King...I present you a power metal song about the book.

(The beans are delicious, by the way.)

2/20/2014 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:

Since we're on the subject of A Once And Future King...I present you a power metal song about the book.

(The beans are delicious, by the way.)

http://youtu.be/i8GIVtCNlCk
View Quote

Nice ...



2/20/2014 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#11]
These beans that I am about to describe have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, other than they are beans.

5 or 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
olive oil.  (lots)  like 1/4C or more.
heat the oil in a heavy pan over low, low heat and "confit" the garlic.  This will take a while.  It won't look like much is happening, but you will smell the garlic.

once the garlic is very soft, add some "white beans"  (cannellinis or great northerns)  Soaked, dry beans are preferable but that would require PPP, which I am wont to forget to do.  Canned are just fine.  I usually do 3 or 4 cans.  

Cover beans with chicken broth.  (home made if you're a stud)

Salt (kosher) and pepper (fresh ground) to taste.

Add a bunch of "poultry mix" herbs (look in your produce section at the store.  Rosemary, sage, thyme)

Simmer these until they are done.  Add a diced tomato (seeded and peeled) at the end

Enjoy.


2/20/2014 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The only thing missing in that recipe is a shot of bourbon!
2/20/2014 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:

The only thing missing in that recipe is a shot of bourbon!
View Quote

Not a bad idea.



2/20/2014 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:

These beans that I am about to describe have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, other than they are beans.

5 or 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
olive oil.  (lots)  like 1/4C or more.
heat the oil in a heavy pan over low, low heat and "confit" the garlic.  This will take a while.  It won't look like much is happening, but you will smell the garlic.

once the garlic is very soft, add some "white beans"  (cannellinis or great northerns)  Soaked, dry beans are preferable but that would require PPP, which I am wont to forget to do.  Canned are just fine.  I usually do 3 or 4 cans.  

Cover beans with chicken broth.  (home made if you're a stud)

Salt (kosher) and pepper (fresh ground) to taste.

Add a bunch of "poultry mix" herbs (look in your produce section at the store.  Rosemary, sage, thyme)

Simmer these until they are done.  Add a diced tomato (seeded and peeled) at the end

Enjoy.
View Quote

I like it.

And it makes me think ... including garlic in AB's recipe might be a nice addition.

2/20/2014 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Found this video of AB whipping up a batch.

Couldn't embed, so hot linking will have to do.  Pretty straight forward. He just follows the recipe ...

Once and Future Beans

2/20/2014 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#16]
beans in chili
2/20/2014 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quote History
Quoted:

beans in chili
View Quote

Negative, ghost rider.

Beans in beans ...

2/20/2014 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Are they better than Hog Apple beans?
2/20/2014 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quote History
Quoted:

Are they better than Hog Apple beans?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:

Are they better than Hog Apple beans?

Don't know. But those do sound like they might be pretty amazing ...

TVWB

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling (chop up the big chunks some)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own.  This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
_____

Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc

Another update... Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.

Update 9-8-2012: if the pie filling is a bit sweet for your taste, try peeling and diced two Gala apples, and saute them in the bacon grease with the onion and green pepper. Increase the brown sugar by about 2 Tbs, and add a dash of cinnamon if you're so inclined.

Link to Recipe


2/20/2014 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#20]

And while we're at it, just for fun, here's another AB bean-type recipe that I came across ...Red Beans and Rice
2/20/2014 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quote History
Quoted:





Did you use a Dutch oven, or some other method?



View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:



Quoted:



That's my favorite bean recipe, it's awesome.



Did you use a Dutch oven, or some other method?







 
Dutch oven...I've been thinking about doing them in the smoker sometime.
2/20/2014 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quote History
Quoted:
These beans that I am about to describe have absolutely nothing to do with this thread, other than they are beans.

View Quote


I like beans.  Your contribution is appreciated as well.
2/20/2014 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#23]
He does love his beans... I can't say I totally agree with the sentiment, but he sure is a damn good chef and teacher.
2/20/2014 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quote History
Quoted:

Dutch oven...I've been thinking about doing them in the smoker sometime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my favorite bean recipe, it's awesome.

Did you use a Dutch oven, or some other method?


Dutch oven...I've been thinking about doing them in the smoker sometime.

I thought about that too. Gotta believe that would be a winning combination.

2/20/2014 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag for the many good looking recipes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In