Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It may be that way in Kentucky, Seattle is a different animal.

Union jobs are the only ones who do have safety protocols that are enforced.

Rat jobs wear no gear-no hat, tennis shoes, no glasses, sweat suits, you name it.

I saw a Mexican roofer, no tie to nothing 3 stories up.

I remember when (80s) there was one hard hat in the driver's room covered in dust. If they said bring a hat when they ordered, we would throw it in the truck.

Lots of dead and mangled bodies-and lots of stupid mother fuckers-got you the rules you have today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We do common sense safety, not the union pushed fake safety.

It may be that way in Kentucky, Seattle is a different animal.

Union jobs are the only ones who do have safety protocols that are enforced.

Rat jobs wear no gear-no hat, tennis shoes, no glasses, sweat suits, you name it.

I saw a Mexican roofer, no tie to nothing 3 stories up.

I remember when (80s) there was one hard hat in the driver's room covered in dust. If they said bring a hat when they ordered, we would throw it in the truck.

Lots of dead and mangled bodies-and lots of stupid mother fuckers-got you the rules you have today.

So non union is a rat job?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#2]
My favorite was watching a guy who had just got out of the 82nd less than a year prior getting bitched at because he wasn’t tied off 3’4” off the ground.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tire of bullshit “orientations”, and the paperwork that goes along with it just to get a sticker
View Quote

It's easy to spot the ones that think the orientations are bullshit, they usually get to do them twice on my site before they get sent home.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Had a survey job once where I had to survey a brush hogged field .

New company running the site wanted steel toed boots, hard hat , safety glasses AND safety goggles over the safety glasses .

To walk in some grass .
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Catswithhardhats on Instagram is all you need to know.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Worked on a circuit city remodel w/ a superintendent that was born wearing a hard hat and safety glasses.  He told me a story about working in an oil facility office.

Let's say you wanted to open a ceiling tile to look above the ceiling so you grab your 6' ladder:

Set your ladder
Grab your clipboard with the appropriate paperwork
Answer paperwork questions such as:
"What task are you performing?  Setting a ladder to look above a drop tile ceiling"
"What are the risks? Moving a tile could allow a foreign object to fall into my face"
"What steps are taking to mitigate the risks?  I am wearing safety glasses"
Etc

Then, you put on your fall arrestor harness, climb up the ladder, move the ceiling tile, take another step on the ladder, clip your fall arrestor to structure above, look around, reverse the procedure.

I told him I would lose my mind and find somewhere else to work, he LOVED this stuff
View Quote

No formal fall arrest plan?  How do you know the structure was rated for 5k lbs, or that the specifics of the fall arrest system (6 foot shock absorber) had adequate height to deploy?  More paperwork!

Paper plans don't protect anyone, requiring their use is simply a deliberate step to review the situation, get the right stuff in place, and work safely.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have no idea what you're talking about.

We practice real safety regularly, a lot of people do not, and that's why OSHA is a thing.
View Quote

Yup. I’m so much safer wearing PPE that I can’t see, hear, or feel what I’m doing in hot gear.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Site "safety" is a fucking joke.

Contractors can swing steel over people's heads all year long.

Illegal aliens can perform dangerous jobs without knowing
rudimentary English.

Take a glove off to look at prints or check an email?

Automatically kicked off site.

Fuck phony safety and anyone who supports it
View Quote

Bolded part is one of the big reasons I'm glad I'm not building plants anymore, between the safety issues of not being able to communicate and the quality of work, it wasn't worth it anymore
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#9]
So you don't want to follow safety rules.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Worked on a circuit city remodel w/ a superintendent that was born wearing a hard hat and safety glasses.  He told me a story about working in an oil facility office.

Let's say you wanted to open a ceiling tile to look above the ceiling so you grab your 6' ladder:

Set your ladder
"What task are you performing?  Setting a ladder to look above a drop tile ceiling"
"What are the risks? Moving a tile could allow a foreign object to fall into my face"
Etc

Then, you put on your fall arrestor harness, climb up the ladder, move the ceiling tile, take another step on the ladder, clip your fall arrestor to structure above, look around, reverse the procedure.

I told him I would lose my mind and find somewhere else to work, he LOVED this stuff
View Quote

Then you fall and your safety lanyard will not keep you from smashing your face on the floor because of the required length.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#11]
But some idiots need these rules to save them from themselves..
Boom Lift Catapult "Did he die?"

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#12]
It's all about money.  Spending $100k on safety is cheaper than paying out a million in a medical injury or loss of life suit.  Plus, that $100k can be planned for.  It fits into a nice little box in the spreadsheet.  That unplanned lawsuit can put a company under.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Set your ladder
Etc

View Quote
I do some machine work for a rigging house occasionally and they recently brought over some lift eyes to be tapped, it was some 1" with an oddball thread pitch.

So I get it done and as I'm chatting with the mgr over there he sends them out to be pull tested to a whopping 500 lbs.  I asked what's the deal with testing a 1" eye to 500lbs (they're usually good for about 9k).  A local drilling company won't allow workers to lift over 50lbs manually so EVERYTHING gets tapped and an eye bolt installed for crane pick.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Safety is #1 until we are behind then we have to hurry up and get this done. BS.
View Quote

You work for shit management.

I am currently managing an energy project that is running about 2 weeks late.  I just had a discussion with one of the crew this morning where I explicitly instructed them to take their time and do the job safely rather than rush and get hurt in the 11th hour.  

I am the person responsible to the company for budget,  schedule and safety.  I don't give a shit how bad operations wants to start up the unit.  We don't take unnecessary risks to make schedule, and I don't want the guys on tools feeling pressured.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Construction workers... are you tired of "fake safety?"

Tired of kids that took a college course telling you how
you should perform a job you've been doing since before
they we're even born?

Post your rants in this thread!

View Quote
What on earth do you mean?
Your government in 1970 decided your safety was worth whatever it takes to save even one life. Yes that's when OSHA was created.
Just think of all the jobs that were created that day.
That's your government in action.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#16]
You don't want to talk to me about safety

I've investigated fatality accidents for insurance companies for almost 30 years. My wife complains I'm a safety nut

...our day starts when your day ends
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Holy shit….like someone is going to chew away their thumb with a manual hack saw.  Two weeks before I retired I was supposed to attend my yearly safety class.  Yea.  Things that didn’t happen for $100 Alex.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're not allowed to use hacksaws anymore.

We are required to go to a "cutting station" with a two-handed
safety switch portable bandsaw, and whatever we're cutting
must be secured in a tripod vice, no matter how far away.

It's all so tiresome.

Holy shit….like someone is going to chew away their thumb with a manual hack saw.  Two weeks before I retired I was supposed to attend my yearly safety class.  Yea.  Things that didn’t happen for $100 Alex.

I ended up in the hospital for 3 1/2 days due to an injury with a hacksaw.

Gloves would have definitely prevented the injury. The hospital stay was due to a staph infection contracted at the clinic I got my finger stitched up at.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Set your ladder
Etc

View Quote

Ahhh a good ol JSA. O&G loves blanket safety policies and forms like a JSA, Hot Work permit, etc. The form itself is a stupid PITA but they're there to make you think to minimize risk of injury.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I work for the county highway dept and we do concrete etc. the best part is osha doesn’t apply to us
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As others have said... it's a fine line.

Chasing grown adults to wear gloves and safety glasses is tiring. Despite 100% glove and glasses policies on jobsites, someone always lacerates a hand or needs to go to an urgent care to have a piece of metal removed.

Ignorance has forced the industry into draconian safety policies.

I also hate chasing people to wear harnesses in lifts, but I'll be screwed if they get caught without one.
View Quote

if they wore proper gloves, they would NOT lacerate a hand.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Site "safety" is a fucking joke.

Contractors can swing steel over people's heads all year long.

Illegal aliens can perform dangerous jobs without knowing
rudimentary English.

Take a glove off to look at prints
or check an email?

Automatically kicked off site.

Fuck phony safety and anyone who supports it
View Quote
You could have suffered a severe paper cut from those prints.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We do common sense safety, not the union pushed fake safety.
View Quote
Ha ... worst safety bar none is on large non-union sites for stupid shit. You can only push the unionized workers around so much so there is a buffer to over bearing safety. Non-union the world is the employer's oyster for stupid shit.

I can see who doesn't have a wide experience level!
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We could climb up a 10 foot step ladder to do work but if we did the same height work in a scissor lift completely surrounded by a railing we would need to have a harness and lanyard clipped on.
View Quote

you should have a harness for the 10' step ladder also.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I work for the county highway dept and we do concrete etc. the best part is osha doesn’t apply to us
View Quote

Oh?  Do you somehow fall under mining?  Maritime?  DOE?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We're not allowed to use hacksaws anymore.

We are required to go to a "cutting station" with a two-handed
safety switch portable bandsaw, and whatever we're cutting
must be secured in a tripod vice, no matter how far away.

It's all so tiresome.
View Quote

do you get paid by the hour?

Why are you complaining?  more money for you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been in residential roofing since the 80s. Back then if you showed up to a job site with a harness and hardhat you'd get laughed off the job. In retrospect, the "safety gear is for pussies" attitude probably wasn't the best approach. But it did weed out the ones who weren't careful.

These days, it's swung to far the other way. Safety is between your ears and all the PPE in the world won't make an idiot safe, but they keep trying. Not employing idiots is a better policy than everything OSHA wants you to implement. Some guys are just accidents waiting to happen. Learn to spot them and get rid of them quick.

22 years in business as a residential roofing contractor with zero comp claims here, BTW.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have no idea what you're talking about.

We practice real safety regularly, a lot of people do not, and that's why OSHA is a thing.
View Quote

I bet you go around cutting drop cords that have no ground because it makes you feel important,  too.  I can just see you unplugging a mag drill while it's in use on the side of a highrise so you can check it to ensure it's "safe".

H
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't think safety guys should be on emergency response teams.  They can't switch off from being overly safe to we have to get this guy to treatment fast.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I do some machine work for a rigging house occasionally and they recently brought over some lift eyes to be tapped, it was some 1" with an oddball thread pitch.

So I get it done and as I'm chatting with the mgr over there he sends them out to be pull tested to a whopping 500 lbs.  I asked what's the deal with testing a 1" eye to 500lbs (they're usually good for about 9k).  A local drilling company won't allow workers to lift over 50lbs manually so EVERYTHING gets tapped and an eye bolt installed for crane pick.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Construction workers... are you tired of "fake safety?"

Tired of kids that took a college course telling you how
you should perform a job you've been doing since before
they we're even born?

Post your rants in this thread!

View Quote

The whole safety thing slays me.  Pretty soon we will all be working in bubbles.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We could climb up a 10 foot step ladder to do work but if we did the same height work in a scissor lift completely surrounded by a railing we would need to have a harness and lanyard clipped on.

Al though a lot of places seem to have a hard on for ladder fall protection, I don’t think there’s a rule short of 25’
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m actually tired of the way it isn’t enforced. I work for a very large corporation that utilizes a lot of construction contractors in our facility. I manage the contractors and work with a few safety managers that I am not in charge of.

We have every check list and form you can think of, that had to be filled out perfectly or the SMs throw a fit. Over 4’ on a ladder, you better be tied off or have someone holding it.

We don’t however do anything about not wearing PPE, trip hazards, people stepping out of the cage in a dig, open holes, etc.. If I bring any of that up, I’m stepping on their toes, even my boss gets pissed. God forbid I take a picture of a violation. I really don’t get why I had to take OSHA 500 and 510, so I could ignore violations.

It’s frustrating watching my children tractors waste money on paperwork and not keep their guys any safer. We have no less than 2 safety people, a no working superintendent and a Construction Manager on site on every project everyday, even if only 2 people are working.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He's making more money, doesn't have to work as hard.....and is probably correct about a lot of things.

Old guys hate that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Explain how the college kid hurt your feelings.

He's making more money, doesn't have to work as hard.....and is probably correct about a lot of things.

Old guys hate that.

More like they don’t understand how the world works, nor how the work must be done, making them useless. Making more money than guys with 10+ years in their trade is just insulting. I’ve run into a few good safety men, but most have been useless.

Got a tiny alcove above the doorways where some lights go. Can just barely squeeze your head in to wire and install these BS lights.

Retard walks by and quips hey, you need your hard hat on!”

Too many useless fucks like that walking around looking for ways to ruin someone’s day.

Problem with glasses is the design/materials. They fog up, guys can’t see for shit, and poor visibility can be more dangerous than lack of eyepro. If they’re comfortable and don’t fog up, guys generally don’t mind wearing them.

Steel toes are dumb. They’re designed by dipshits, and finding comfortable ones is almost always difficult and expensive. They’re also pretty useless, in ten years, 99 times out of 100, if shit hits my foot, it hits the top of my foot, not my toes. Met guards would make more sense, but they’re even harder to find anything comfortable/practical.

I found that the only times my toes were getting whacked was working with pallets and jacks, with someone else involved.

Gloves are good to have. The policies are dumb and exist to hem guys up, there’s things you can’t do wearing them, and things that are more dangerous when wearing them. Got into it with a safety rep over that, had to pull out the manual that clearly states “DO NOT OPERATE WEARING JEWELRY,  LOOSE CLOTHING, OR GLOVES,” and the GC had a big goddamn meeting about that silly shit.

Tie off policies vary. Some are retarded, some are lax, a few have some common sense, but they’re few and far between.

Don’t get me started about the paperwork that is now trickling down to the guys that are there to work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Municipal.
I used to work on a lot of water and wastewater sites, who were also largely exempt due to being municipalities. Lots of sketchy safety practices in those places - I actually fired a couple as customers over it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As others have said... it's a fine line.

Chasing grown adults to wear gloves and safety glasses is tiring. Despite 100% glove and glasses policies on jobsites, someone always lacerates a hand or needs to go to an urgent care to have a piece of metal removed.

Ignorance has forced the industry into draconian safety policies.

I also hate chasing people to wear harnesses in lifts, but I'll be screwed if they get caught without one.
View Quote

In my opinion that's a chicken or egg question.  When there are strict policies in place, people seem to become even more complacent because the policy will protect them, then do stupid shit not contemplated by the policy that the policy can't possibly protect them from.  "Oh it's ok to hold my grinder so the swarf is blowing directly into my face, I have glasses!" kind of shit.

People need training and rules, but if you absolve them, or give them the impression they are absolved of personal responsibility for their own well being, they will gladly delegate all responsibility to chance.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

More like they don't understand how the world works, nor how the work must be done, making them useless. Making more money than guys with 10+ years in their trade is just insulting. I've run into a few good safety men, but most have been useless.

Got a tiny alcove above the doorways where some lights go. Can just barely squeeze your head in to wire and install these BS lights.

Retard walks by and quips hey, you need your hard hat on!"

Too many useless fucks like that walking around looking for ways to ruin someone's day.

Problem with glasses is the design/materials. They fog up, guys can't see for shit, and poor visibility can be more dangerous than lack of eyepro. If they're comfortable and don't fog up, guys generally don't mind wearing them.

Steel toes are dumb. They're designed by dipshits, and finding comfortable ones is almost always difficult and expensive. They're also pretty useless, in ten years, 99 times out of 100, if shit hits my foot, it hits the top of my foot, not my toes. Met guards would make more sense, but they're even harder to find anything comfortable/practical.

I found that the only times my toes were getting whacked was working with pallets and jacks, with someone else involved.

Gloves are good to have. The policies are dumb and exist to hem guys up, there's things you can't do wearing them, and things that are more dangerous when wearing them. Got into it with a safety rep over that, had to pull out the manual that clearly states "DO NOT OPERATE WEARING JEWELRY,  LOOSE CLOTHING, OR GLOVES," and the GC had a big goddamn meeting about that silly shit.

Tie off policies vary. Some are retarded, some are lax, a few have some common sense, but they're few and far between.

Don't get me started about the paperwork that is now trickling down to the guys that are there to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Explain how the college kid hurt your feelings.

Old guys hate that.

More like they don't understand how the world works, nor how the work must be done, making them useless. Making more money than guys with 10+ years in their trade is just insulting. I've run into a few good safety men, but most have been useless.

Retard walks by and quips hey, you need your hard hat on!"

Too many useless fucks like that walking around looking for ways to ruin someone's day.

Problem with glasses is the design/materials. They fog up, guys can't see for shit, and poor visibility can be more dangerous than lack of eyepro. If they're comfortable and don't fog up, guys generally don't mind wearing them.

Steel toes are dumb. They're designed by dipshits, and finding comfortable ones is almost always difficult and expensive. They're also pretty useless, in ten years, 99 times out of 100, if shit hits my foot, it hits the top of my foot, not my toes. Met guards would make more sense, but they're even harder to find anything comfortable/practical.

Gloves are good to have. The policies are dumb and exist to hem guys up, there's things you can't do wearing them, and things that are more dangerous when wearing them. Got into it with a safety rep over that, had to pull out the manual that clearly states "DO NOT OPERATE WEARING JEWELRY,  LOOSE CLOTHING, OR GLOVES," and the GC had a big goddamn meeting about that silly shit.

Tie off policies vary. Some are retarded, some are lax, a few have some common sense, but they're few and far between.

Don't get me started about the paperwork that is now trickling down to the guys that are there to work.
or doing the doors and hardware package on a building with 300 doors , screws the size of tic tacs , or delicate expensive shit ,

Safety guy - "where's your gloves?"
Me - "get the fuck away from me"
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Over 6' of your feet height required a harness.
Your feet won't get up 6' on a 10' step ladder, legally and maintain 3 points of contact.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#40]
OSHA was a joke when I was on commercial jobs in the 70's and 80's.

Their inspections were announced several days beforehand and the general would scramble around fixing shit, putting up handrails, etc. Or if someone got hurt badly, you knew OSHA would be around the next day.

One job I got a "ticket" from an inspector for no hard hat. The building was finished, the tenants were moving in. We were there doing a punch list.

95% of job safety is watching your own ass and not being afraid to refuse something if deemed dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I don’t miss construction. So many miserable men. About once a month, a guy would take his hard hat and slam it on the ground as he just got served divorce papers.

It was fun watching my foreman argue with CalTrans and engineers on getting things done slightly off the blueprint.

He would throw in the 20+ years experience.

I also don’t recommend going to school to earn a masters degree while working a construction job at 50-70hrs a week.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

if they wore proper gloves, they would NOT lacerate a hand.  
View Quote

Yes.

They weren't wearing gloves and felt like going touchey-feely with metal studs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I am OSHA 500/510/30/10 certified along with CHST.

I work for a company that is nationwide and our job is basically job site health and safety. Contractors hire us to help with safety training, drug testin, fit testing, and we also do injury responses. We have a 90% success rate keeping injuries from being recordables.  Most injuries are at sites with 100% safety compliance…
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I work for a company that is nationwide and our job is basically job site health and safety. Contractors hire us to help with safety training, drug testin, fit testing, and we also do injury responses. We have a 90% success rate keeping injuries from being recordables.  Most injuries are at sites with 100% safety compliance
View Quote
This seems to support my theory of "complacency by design."
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's easy to spot the ones that think the orientations are bullshit, they usually get to do them twice on my site before they get sent home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tire of bullshit “orientations”, and the paperwork that goes along with it just to get a sticker

Taking a step back, I can see where my statement can be taken out of my very limited context.

We have a steady core group of guys that mainly work on big, marquis level commercial construction projects.

Ones with tons of JSA / Pre Task Plans / Daily Reports, safety req's, and 100% gloves, hardhats, glasses, tie offs, tagged scaffolds, operator certs, tied off tools, etc. all the time.

We are well versed at working safely, its just the "drug screen letters", CCIP forms, and the "sit and watch a video" orientations get old after a while, or maybe just hounding my safety director to get them done all the time does.

Looking around, lots of unexperienced, non-fluent guys on site around and I can see where it definitely has a value.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Eliminate the liability that exposes companies to loss if you get hurt on the job and you'll see a lot of that evaporate.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No formal fall arrest plan?  How do you know the structure was rated for 5k lbs, or that the specifics of the fall arrest system (6 foot shock absorber) had adequate height to deploy?  More paperwork!

Paper plans don't protect anyone, requiring their use is simply a deliberate step to review the situation, get the right stuff in place, and work safely.
View Quote

Well...it MIGHT protect the employer from a serious payout IF they can show the paper plan wasn't followed by the employee and the employee was injured as a result.

Most companies don't want to do this, they're forced to do this to protect themselves from liability.  To most huge corps we're all just a number and if we were killed on the job many would just prefer to sack us up and drop us down a chute rather than have it slow productivity let alone result in a damage award.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#48]
individual employees should be cited by osha, not just employers, which can be done, it’s just not

Start enforcing part B of the general duty clause. Lets see some fucking part b citations and fines to individual employees

When osha does that, That’s when ill know osha cares about the individual worker, and doesn't just exist to fuck employers via regulations and fines
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Fixed.
View Quote

I hate having to go to job sites because some asshole worker got hurt a little bit but didn't tell anyone until after the weekend when his hand,eye, whatever was so badly infected, swollen, whatever that he needed serious medical intervention.

I actually have professional fun when some unfortunate worker does something really dumb and preventable and pays full price for it. It's cool reconstructing the chain of bad decisions and figuring out yet again how physics won.

Of course that's just the insurance investigator in me speaking.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I work for a company that is nationwide and our job is basically job site health and safety. Contractors hire us to help with safety training, drug testin, fit testing, and we also do injury responses. We have a 90% success rate keeping injuries from being recordables.  Most injuries are at sites with 100% safety compliance…
View Quote

Compliance mindset vs safety mindset is apparently more of a problem.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top