Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2017 4:36:45 PM EDT
From my childhood in the eighties I remember all kinds of specialty shotgun shells and from either buying them or talking to others that got them they sucked.

Dragons breath (this one is fun to fire at night though)
Monkey balls
Fishing hooks
Tacks
Bolo
Flechette
Chain
And a host of others sold mainly by four or five companies at $12-$20 for three round packs.

Now there are specialty slugs/buck from the regular ammunition makers that work good and there are some cool less lethal rounds.

Plus a few smaller companies like Ddupleks.

But what else is there to either buy or reload that is useful?

Cut shells and waxed shot are honorable mentions.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on give me something to work with here.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Useful for what?

If for self-defense, stick with buckshot.  It works, and you probably don't want to try to explain to a jury why you had to shoot someone with some bizarre round with wires or some shit.

There's a video on youtube where some guy loads just about everything imaginable into his Mossberg.  If you just want to have fun with it, maybe you'll find some ideas there.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Do want.

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I'd give that a shot. Looks like it would work pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
no the Ddupleks does a better job than that shell both in wound channel and penetration and is $6 a box vs $11 a round
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Useful for what?

If for self-defense, stick with buckshot.  It works, and you probably don't want to try to explain to a jury why you had to shoot someone with some bizarre round with wires or some shit.

There's a video on youtube where some guy loads just about everything imaginable into his Mossberg.  If you just want to have fun with it, maybe you'll find some ideas there.
View Quote
Useful in any way. Like  a bird bomb can scare away birds or a foster slug can kill a deer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This guy...https://www.youtube.com/user/taofledermaus 

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Used to have some white phosphorus rounds. Milsurp, they were used for training AA gunners. Not sure they're even legal anymore.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a buddy that had bought some of those dragon breath 12 gauge shells. I fired one out of his mossberg. It was at night,  was so bright the farm light 100 yards away went out. It was pretty crazy.   I guess if you wanted to illuminate an area.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Useful in any way. Like  a bird bomb can scare away birds or a foster slug can kill a deer.
View Quote
BP loads will create your own smokescreen to give you concealment to reload.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
What is wrong with Dragon's Breath?  I know it's just pyrotechnics but I would think it's good for crowd control.  If I was in a mob and I saw fireballs being shot my way at night I'd want to be somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Flight Control wads are pretty awesome
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Do the PDX series count as specialty?

It's essentially two mini-slug-like disks and a few #4 shot
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Birdshot and target loads can be used against drones.

I've always wanted to see a really effective armor penetrating round that can be fired out of a smooth bore. Getting something to fly like a rifle bullet would require spin stabilization, but maybe there's a 12ga arrow out there. Something like the APFSDS round on an Abrams tank.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
By all accounts, the Hevi Shot shells are MUCH more effective than normal shells.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Birdshot and target loads can be used against drones.

I've always wanted to see a really effective armor penetrating round that can be fired out of a smooth bore. Getting something to fly like a rifle bullet would require spin stabilization, but maybe there's a 12ga arrow out there. Something like the APFSDS round on an Abrams tank.
View Quote
Sauvestre Balle Flèche  
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This guy...https://www.youtube.com/user/taofledermaus 

I have watched all of his videos.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm very partial to Hatton Rounds.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
By all accounts, the Hevi Shot shells are MUCH more effective than normal shells.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Me and Jake got a Pallet (as in thousands) of hevi shot donated to the NTC if the management would sign off on it and like idiots they never did.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm very partial to Hatton Rounds.
View Quote
yeah breaching rounds are cool
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#23]
For those that don't know what a "cut-shell" is:

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Me and Jake got a Pallet (as in thousands) of hevi shot donated to the NTC if the management would sign off on it and like idiots they never did.
View Quote
Figures. I'm not even surprised.

A friend of mine on the other side there was trying to get 5.56 TSX loadings for their road ammo, but same thing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A friend of mine on the other side there was trying to get 5.56 TSX loadings for their road ammo, but same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah thats what OK want them to use but we are using M855 and speer gold dot G2
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Dragon's breath is certainly entertaining. Useful? Yes, for starting forest fires.

Brenneke slugs and similar work. They are not gimmicks.

Most everything else, stay away.

Gluing primers to the nose of Foster slugs is certainly fun when shooting at hard targets, though
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dragon's breath is certainly entertaining. Useful? Yes, for starting forest fires.

Brenneke slugs and similar work. They are not gimmicks.

Most everything else, stay away.

Gluing primers to the nose of Foster slugs is certainly fun when shooting at hard targets, though
View Quote
Foster or Brenneke both work good depending on the gun.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top