Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
One of those can be seen in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 being used by Chris Pratts character. I LOLed when I saw it.

I miss mine
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My dad was cheap - we had a party line until the mid 70's in Houston.  

We had a rotary phone into the 80's until Ma Bell discontinued all rotary service and everything went pulse.
View Quote
Rotary phones are pulse phones.  And rotary phones worked at least into the 90's and probably after.  I think they may still work.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I think they converted some of those to FEDex drop offs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
 How did you even remember that thing. I had blue.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Specie (honest money)

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was at a gas station in Idalia CO about 3 years ago and they took a carbon copy of my credit card for gas. Not sure what the deal was whether that was the way they did it or the system was down.

My latest CC is a Discover Card and the numbers are printed on. The card is completely smooth so there's nothing to print a carbon copy off of.
View Quote
They punched it in manually later so yes, it's likely their machine was down. If you had a chip in your card, you could conceivably call and dispute. Instant decision in your favor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They punched it in manually later so yes, it's likely their machine was down. If you had a chip in your card, you could conceivably call and dispute. Instant decision in your favor.
View Quote
They have a name for disputing a charge on a purchase you actually made - "theft".
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember  using these:

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22677/image-207850.JPG

It's Still a useful item.
Anybody?
View Quote
got mine in the tool box and a old can of pee's with both ends cut off to straddle the air cleaner stud you run across on some carbs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Who remembers this?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#15]
You'll probably have to use this......to find out what yours is.

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Microfiche reader.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They have a name for disputing a charge on a purchase you actually made - "theft".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn right it's theft. But it happens every. Fucking. Day.

My wife works as a controller and CFO of a restaurant POS company. Keeping up with PCI compliance across all of their clients is her responsibility and she has a boatload of horror stories.

I've broached the idea of chip readers for our company, but they feel like the loss from disputes would be cheaper than conversion at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Mmmmmm. Selectric. Best typing keyboard ever. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Estes is still in business and has a full line of Rockets
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Estes is still in business and has a full line of Rockets
They have come a long way since then!  Not Estes, but still :)
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

http://thiswestcoastmommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/microfiche.jpg
View Quote
We still have one at work and is used a almost monthly to find some information that isn't in the books or computer
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How many are old enough to know how to adjust the dwell on a set of points?
View Quote
I am.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one in my basement.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I used these in my very first programming class...

https://www.mimecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ibm-punchcard.gif
View Quote
On a Harris mainframe in '79.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used these in my very first programming class...

https://www.mimecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ibm-punchcard.gif
Mine was programming FORTRAN on a PDP-11
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many are old enough to know how to adjust the dwell on a set of points?
I am.
On a GM you open the little door on the dist cap and turn a allen wrench right until the engine starts missing then left 1/2 turn.
I always thought that was kinda handy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I still have mine.
For the first year of college we were not allowed to use those "new" electronic calculators.

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The first computer I programmed.

It was done using jumpers and plug-in resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The dials were used to input parameters and the output was read on an X-Y plotter or oscilloscope. Those little devices on the top are vacuum tubes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mine was programming FORTRAN on a PDP-11
View Quote
Or if you were a Business Major; COBOL.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember Mom being scared to death that Dad would be drafted and sent to Korea.He just got out of the Navy in '47.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#34]
How many of you guy's grew up with this in the living room ?
My parents had a huge one.Just talked to my father and he had his custom made and picked out all the stereo and TV equipment.He said it cost him $900.00 back in 1962.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#35]
The drink of astronauts
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How many of you guy's grew up with this in the living room ?
My parents had a huge one.Just talked to my father and he had his custom made and picked out all the stereo and TV equipment.He said it cost him $900.00 back in 1962.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/229367/SolidWalnut1-208323.JPG
View Quote
I still have ours that came from our furniture store, I think ours is a late 60s model. We sold them up until the mid 80s, although by that time the component stereos were 90% of the market.

Do you remember, or know that they used to come with 3-5 records and at least one or two 8 Tracks?

They would have an orchestral type album, a country or light pop album, and usually an album that had a variety of new rock ( not too hard though ). The albums were from a deal between the record companies and the manufacturers of the stereos. The manufacturers wanted to have albums and tapes so the dealers could demonstrate the sound of their stereos, and the record companies wanted to be able to have an outlet to promote new artists or upcoming albums of older ones. Many would say , "CBS records presents - name of group-", or " CBS record's new stars " with names of a few groups or singers with pics of them on the front.

The albums and tapes you got depended on the market, so around here we got a lot of country, bluegrass, gospel.

Daddy wasn't a fool, and we had a rising customer base of black folks, so he had them throw some funk and disco in.

We always had a stereo on up front as you walked in, but when the car wash was open across the street on a Friday, which was payday, and the brothers were out cleaning up their rides, daddy would open the doors and throw on the funk and disco and crank it up.

Everybody in town called daddy Mr. C.O., or Mr. Cooper or just Coop. Cooper owned the chain until the 1920s when our family bought them out , Cooper Furniture Company, and since they had been in such good graces with the public, and the expense of changing names in three states and 12 stores was high,  they just left it.

Anyway, they'd walk over from the car wash and say " Hey Mr, Cooper, or just Coop, let me check out that stereo, I heard that way over at the car wash."  Daddy or myself would demo it, and they ask how much. We'd give them a good price, and they'd ask how much a week.  Daddy would ask them how much they could pay. They might say $5.00 a week, or $2.50, and daddy would shake their hand and say ok. We'd write it up and deliver it to them. All on a handshake, no contracts or anything, and we never had to pick anything up. Big difference in people now and back then.

We sold a lot of them that way though,especially in the late mid 70s and early 80s when the cabinets came with flashing lights and disco balls.

Of course I brought my own albums up there, and brought in the rock crowd, with AC/DC, KISS, and Black Sabbath, Styx etc. I'd rock them out loud while doing work up front, or just sitting in one of the recliners taking in an ICEE and watching cars drive by and girls walk by on the sidewalk.

I got smart, all the girls my age would walk up and down the sidewalks shopping on Saturdays, so I would bring one of my pups to the store then. They'd see him and come in and love on him. And I'd get to see one of them at the river later on.

I miss those days so much.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#37]
and Death From Above

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I still have ours that came from our furniture store, I think ours is a late 60s model. We sold them up until the mid 80s, although by that time the component stereos were 90% of the market.

Do you remember, or know that they used to come with 3-5 records and at least one or two 8 Tracks?

They would have an orchestral type album, a country or light pop album, and usually an album that had a variety of new rock ( not too hard though ). The albums were from a deal between the record companies and the manufacturers of the stereos. The manufacturers wanted to have albums and tapes so the dealers could demonstrate the sound of their stereos, and the record companies wanted to be able to have an outlet to promote new artists or upcoming albums of older ones. Many would say , "CBS records presents - name of group-", or " CBS record's new stars " with names of a few groups or singers with pics of them on the front.

The albums and tapes you got depended on the market, so around here we got a lot of country, bluegrass, gospel.

Daddy wasn't a fool, and we had a rising customer base of black folks, so he had them throw some funk and disco in.

We always had a stereo on up front as you walked in, but when the car wash was open across the street on a Friday, which was payday, and the brothers were out cleaning up their rides, daddy would open the doors and throw on the funk and disco and crank it up.

Everybody in town called daddy Mr. C.O., or Mr. Cooper or just Coop. Cooper owned the chain until the 1920s when our family bought them out , Cooper Furniture Company, and since they had been in such good graces with the public, and the expense of changing names in three states and 12 stores was high,  they just left it.

Anyway, they'd walk over from the car wash and say " Hey Mr, Cooper, or just Coop, let me check out that stereo, I heard that way over at the car wash."  Daddy or myself would demo it, and they ask how much. We'd give them a good price, and they'd ask how much a week.  Daddy would ask them how much they could pay. They might say $5.00 a week, or $2.50, and daddy would shake their hand and say ok. We'd write it up and deliver it to them. All on a handshake, no contracts or anything, and we never had to pick anything up. Big difference in people now and back then.

We sold a lot of them that way though,especially in the late mid 70s and early 80s when the cabinets came with flashing lights and disco balls.

Of course I brought my own albums up there, and brought in the rock crowd, with AC/DC, KISS, and Black Sabbath, Styx etc. I'd rock them out loud while doing work up front, or just sitting in one of the recliners taking in an ICEE and watching cars drive by and girls walk by on the sidewalk.

I got smart, all the girls my age would walk up and down the sidewalks shopping on Saturdays, so I would bring one of my pups to the store then. They'd see him and come in and love on him. And I'd get to see one of them at the river later on.

I miss those days so much.
View Quote
That's awesome. All of it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#40]
At the end of each day at the furniture store, and at the end of the week, month, quarter, we counted down money and receipts. Our adding machine was

Yes, it was from the 1906-1918 period. It worked. My grandfather, that also still worked everyday ( first man in the door, last man out every day until 1991 ), born in 1891 didn't care for the electronics, and insisted on using it.

He would use a more modern electronic model made in 1967 by IBM, but for final adding, it was the old Burroughs machine.

When we added up the receipts, we had to take that, and find the person's account in the ledger book, and write the amount of the payment and the date, and then subtract that from the total.

Now, my family didn't sell junk. We sold one level of furniture, and it was the best you could by, and there's a lot of beds right now, where people my age ( 45-55 ) have given it to their children once they got married. Many of those came from the early days of the store, and their grandparents and great grandparents were born on those beds. There weren't too many doctors, people gave birth at home out here with the use of midwives. Now, that's good furniture.

Anyway, we only sold the best, but we sold it to anyone that wanted it, for whatever they could pay a week or a month. Daddy wanted everyone to have nice stuff that would last a lifetime.

We had six ledger books always active. Two for people that paid in the store ( Poppy's customers ( granddaddy ), two for my dad's customers, and two for our other employee JC Broome. I went out in the den just now and took some photos of one of Daddy's.

Oh, and by the time I was about 10, I was doing all the counting down and ledger work for the whole store. It was very time consuming. I flipped these damn images, but they flipped back. Photobucket, I got to quit that and find another one.

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I still have mine and it works!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I was redoing an old bathroom in Illinois and pulling out the cabinet there were thousands of old blades.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22677/image-207850.JPG

It's Still a useful item.
Anybody?
View Quote
Carb adjuster.  Still have mine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://thiswestcoastmommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/microfiche.jpg
View Quote
Microfiche reader.  The local library has a microfilm reader.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I still have mine.
For the first year of college we were not allowed to use those "new" electronic calculators.

http://m8.i.pbase.com/u45/terry_56/upload/34645608.Slip_Stick1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I still have mine.

http://m8.i.pbase.com/u45/terry_56/upload/34645608.Slip_Stick1.jpg
Fun tidbit. When my wife's grandfather (who was a NASA engineer during the Gemini program and remained close friends with Gene Cernan) died, we cleaned out his office and found his slide rule. It looked like hieroglyphics to me, but I knew what it was. I hope I get it when my FIL passes. I may even try to figure out how to use it and pass it along to our son.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
At the end of each day at the furniture store, and at the end of the week, month, quarter, we counted down money and receipts. Our adding machine was

http://www.officemuseum.com/IMagesWWW/1906_Burroughs_No._9_marketed_1911_OM.jpg

Yes, it was from the 1906-1918 period. It worked. My grandfather, that also still worked everyday ( first man in the door, last man out every day until 1991 ), born in 1891 didn't care for the electronics, and insisted on using it.

He would use a more modern electronic model made in 1967 by IBM, but for final adding, it was the old Burroughs machine.

When we added up the receipts, we had to take that, and find the person's account in the ledger book, and write the amount of the payment and the date, and then subtract that from the total.

Now, my family didn't sell junk. We sold one level of furniture, and it was the best you could by, and there's a lot of beds right now, where people my age ( 45-55 ) have given it to their children once they got married. Many of those came from the early days of the store, and their grandparents and great grandparents were born on those beds. There weren't too many doctors, people gave birth at home out here with the use of midwives. Now, that's good furniture.

Anyway, we only sold the best, but we sold it to anyone that wanted it, for whatever they could pay a week or a month. Daddy wanted everyone to have nice stuff that would last a lifetime.

We had six ledger books always active. Two for people that paid in the store ( Poppy's customers ( granddaddy ), two for my dad's customers, and two for our other employee JC Broome. I went out in the den just now and took some photos of one of Daddy's.

Oh, and by the time I was about 10, I was doing all the counting down and ledger work for the whole store. It was very time consuming. I flipped these damn images, but they flipped back. Photobucket, I got to quit that and find another one.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/446B8AED-796A-42E5-B8D5-1348A040E051_zpsvdwyttdx.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/3D688C09-70B9-47FB-9C91-1CE59F8BF489_zpsf7jxs6jw.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/0F5B45A1-2A51-4F66-B121-27B92D61F26B_zpsez6kjy56.jpg

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy172/pavlovwolf/FE12B7B4-21C9-46C3-8262-EA884F422C5A_zps7knrthdc.jpg
View Quote
Sounds like y'all were the business model for Aaron's and Babcocks. But with quality goods offered.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Vacuum-powered windshield wipers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sounds like y'all were the business model for Aaron's and Babcocks. But with quality goods offered.

Thanks for sharing.
View Quote
When I was 13 or 14 I tried to get them to buy a few strategically placed warehouses so that we could order furniture as a large chain and get better prices instead of as individual stores, and link each store to the warehouses by computer so that we could see inventory at each store and warehouse. Of course we'd all still get deliveries at our individual stores, but the warehouses would stock a lot more, and we could draw from that. We'd never really be out of stock on anything or have to order something from a catalog that took weeks, so we wouldn't lose sales to other nearby competing stores. The only special orders from then on would be custom furniture.

Of course , nobody wanted to listen to a 13 year old, even though I was able to manage every operation and did when asked to ( I spent most of my time in the store learning from knee high to a grass hopper ). Of course, also, 1980 -1981, all of that was new, and it was expensive to buy computers that were able to run POS and Inventory at that time, and it still wouldn't have been instant notification of items sold like the inventory systems that came along in the late 80s.

Did anyone else use ledger books, or those old adding machines in their jobs ?
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top