Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Empirical evidence that you cannot polish a turd.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a cultural issue.  It's cliche, but education begins at home and without a mother and/or father that values education and encourages their children to learn, those kids will never be proficient.

I'm sure some of the teachers are terrible, but the best teacher in the world can't teach a student that doesn't want to learn and sees no value in education.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Despite spending more per pupil than most districts in the country, you have idiots. Is it time to close public schools and get rid of teacher unions and go a private route in Baltimore?
It's a cultural issue.  It's cliche, but education begins at home and without a mother and/or father that values education and encourages their children to learn, those kids will never be proficient.

I'm sure some of the teachers are terrible, but the best teacher in the world can't teach a student that doesn't want to learn and sees no value in education.
This is exactly right.  I would still support dissolution or weakening of the teachers union AND local control over the education system with NO federal influence [dissolve the Dept. of Education].
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Education reform and vouchers are a must.

However, as many have pointed out, this is a symptom of a sick culture.

When you give you constituents room to destroy, the first thing they do is rot from within.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

PSA: It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Son 1 - GPA = 4.0156
https://i.imgur.com/3ZzI2ak.png

Son 2 (with the shit teacher) - GPA = 3.2830, and on Honor Roll currently.
https://i.imgur.com/YufYZ96.png

State graduation GPA requirement of 2.0. Both should finish their Senior year early, next school season.

Like I said, you don't know WTF you're talking about, and I'm sure its not the 1st time.
View Quote

This going to touch a nerve. Much like the Captain of a naval vessel, a parent is ultimately responsible for their children's upbringing. When a subordinate screws up, it's on the Captain for failing to maintaining appropriate training and discipline standards. When a child messes up, it's on the parent likewise. It's not a question of who is at fault, which is separate and distinct, but who is ultimately responsible. Kid #2 bypassed your OODA loop; you didn't orient and observe until after grades slipped because you were looking at the wrong metrics. You learn, improve your systems, and check to see if the changes are effective. If not, rinse and repeat.

If we are to treat a home as a castle, the adults who run it are the sovereigns. "The buck stops here" indeed.

Back to the topic:

Baltimore is in its current predicament because few take ownership of their children's education. Anyone that did saw the writing on the wall and moved out of the city long ago. Ugly as it is, the schools aren't the problem, it's the families and students that remain after all that self-selection. And there is no fix that is politically acceptable. Pragmatism would suggest just walling it off, subsidize them just enough to keep them from rioting, maybe legalize certain drugs to keep them in a stupor, and pluck out the diamonds in the rough that have the moxie and aptitude to rise above their circumstances before the toxic culture eradicates it. Plenty of science-fiction explores that idea.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Last year I went to a Doctor's appointment.  My co-pay was $12.  I handed the young lady a $20 bill.  She looked at it with an obviously confused look and opened a drawer for a calculator.

I told her "$8".  She replied, "I have to be sure"..

We are doomed.

This was in NV.
View Quote
None of them understand how to 'count up' change from the purchase price either.

There is no need for subtraction.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet they can convert grams to ounces in the blink of a eye.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]
"No child left behind" is dumbing down the rest of the kids.

Even rappers and drug dealers need basic math skills.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe, therefore, that the true centre of correlation of the school subjects is not science, nor literature, nor history, nor geography, but the child's own social activities.

I believe that education cannot be unified in the study of science, or so-called nature study, because apart from human activity, nature itself is not a unity; nature in itself is a number of diverse objects in space and time, and to attempt to make it the centre of work by itself, is to introduce a principle of radiation rather than one of concentration.

I believe that literature is the reflex expression and interpretation of social experience; that hence it must follow upon and not precede such experience. It, therefore, cannot be made the basis, although it may be made the summary of unification. - John Dewey, father of the modern progressive schooling system
View Quote
WTF does that drivel even mean?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This going to touch a nerve. Much like the Captain of a naval vessel, a parent is ultimately responsible for their children's upbringing. When a subordinate screws up, it's on the Captain for failing to maintaining appropriate training and discipline standards. When a child messes up, it's on the parent likewise. It's not a question of who is at fault, which is separate and distinct, but who is ultimately responsible. Kid #2 bypassed your OODA loop; you didn't orient and observe until after grades slipped because you were looking at the wrong metrics. You learn, improve your systems, and check to see if the changes are effective. If not, rinse and repeat.

If we are to treat a home as a castle, the adults who run it are the sovereigns. "The buck stops here" indeed.
View Quote
Omniscient failure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
i live in a county in FL whose public schools are train wrecks and have recently had big upsurge in graduation rates due to lowering standards to make the stats look good.

Anyway, there must be something in common between the baltimore school system and here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They will just redefine "proficient' downward until everyone is proficient.  It's the liberal/Democratic Way.
View Quote
That and spend even more money on silly programs that are destined to fail but make people feel good.

Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The state will continue to care for these leeches when they enter the welfare and prison systems.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I guess the only purpose of schools in Baltimore is child care.
View Quote
Mama gotta be getting her weave and nail done, get her krunk and her freak on, commit food stamp fraud.  She gots a busy day ....
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You are absolutely correct, especially that part in bold, and it does not get said enough..

That won't stop somebody from calling you a racist, a eugenicist, a Nazi, etc., though.
View Quote
I'm more concerned about the actual eugenicists and nazis than anyone calling me names - I dont know whether to be more concerned about whether the powers that be are doing it by accident/incompetence or if they are doing it on purpose.  Eugenics can achieve an inferior, dependent population a lot easier than achieving theoretical supermen.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Despite spending more per pupil than most districts in the country, you have idiots. Is it time to close public schools and get rid of teacher unions and go a private route in Baltimore?

At 13 Baltimore city high schools, zero students are proficient in math

Spending per pupil:  
Baltimore City Schools in Maryland at $15,818
View Quote
BALTIMORE (WBFF) - An alarming discovery coming out of City Schools. Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state testing data and found one-third of High Schools in Baltimore, last year, had zero students proficient in math.
View Quote
“Nine out of ten black boys in Baltimore City are not reading at grade level,” added Pannell.
View Quote
Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state test scores released this fall. We paged through 16,000 lines of data and uncovered this: Of Baltimore City’s 39 High Schools, 13 had zero students proficient in math.
View Quote
Digging further, we found another six high schools where one percent tested proficient. Add it up – in half the high schools in Baltimore City, 3804 students took the state test, 14 were proficient in math.
View Quote
Can't throw any more money at teachers or schools when you are spending more than most of the USA per kid. It's not a money solvable problem.

"It’s not a matter of money," Wallace said on May 3, 2015. "One of the things that we learned this week is Baltimore spends the third-highest per capita on its public schools. Baltimore was already spending plenty on public schools, and the schools were still lousy."
View Quote
http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/13-baltimore-city-high-schools-zero-students-proficient-in-math
View Quote
Yeah, I think of this and get pissed off when I hear politicians crowing about how we need more money for the schools.  No we don't.  Like you say, it's not a money problem.  It has everything to do with how education is done and also how parenting is done.

I hope that these schools do not intend on graduating any students this year.  If none have even basic proficiency in a major subject, they definitely don't meet any credible standards for a diploma.  But I'm not going to hold my breath expecting that outcome.

I've heard of some districts or schools having their diplomas basically be considered worthless by everyone else; I wonder if that does indeed happen and if it will or already has happened here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Being able to do math is "acting white" and is frowned upon.
View Quote
You mean acting Asian . Is Asian part of the whiteness category
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://archive.org/details/TheUndergroundHistoryOfAmericanEducation_758

Short version from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Underground_History_of_American_Education
"In other words, the captains of industry and government explicitly wanted an educational system that would maintain social order by teaching us just enough to get by but not enough so that we could think for ourselves, question the sociopolitical order, or communicate articulately."
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I blame the schools.  Surely the parents are doing everything they can to help their children.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I call bullshit. Unpossible!...
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#20]
No matter which way you slice the fault up it ain't good...the bigger problem is how do you fix it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Eugenics can achieve an inferior, dependent population a lot easier than achieving theoretical supermen.
View Quote
That'd be dysgenics.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Schools with 5:1 student to teacher ratios still produces retard criminals.

City Teacher Earns $63k to Teach One Class of Five Students

BALTIMORE (WBFF) - A Baltimore City School is coming under fire from its own teachers, including one who says her salary is being wasted.
View Quote

New Era Academy, in south Baltimore, has 25 teachers. Four recently contacted Project Baltimore. Two went on camera. But fearing retaliation, they asked us to conceal their identities.
View Quote
The staff is fearful,” they told Fox45. “It's cold. It's nasty. It's hostile. There's no leadership in that school.”
View Quote
New Era in one of the city’s most underperforming schools. According to state testing data, 290 students took state Math and English tests last year. Zero tested proficient.
View Quote
According to District records, 76% of students are chronically absent– five times the state average.
View Quote
When students are in school, these educators say, they skip class to roam the hallway. Fights are common. Suspensions have more than doubled since 2015.
View Quote
“It's not a safe environment for learning. It's not a safe environment to physically be in,” added the same teacher.
View Quote
420 EVERY DAY, WORD

The educators also explain how students smoke marijuana in the school, every day.
View Quote
http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/city-teacher-earns-63k-to-teach-one-class-of-five-students
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hate to be the one to point it out, but given the population's relative average intelligence they could have the best teachers and most involved parents and resources and still reach the same results. The population may just be stupid.

It's not a matter of race.  If you took ANY group/color/ethnicity/... and had the bottom % of that population stuck in a confined area and then accelerate its insulated breeding by removing the natural penalties of single motherhood and bastards, and then compound it over 2 to 3 generations by having anyone in that crappy group that shows any frigging potential leave the group (move, or get scholarships to private or choice schools) and the resulting group will be the bottom of the bottom performers compared to the rest of society.

The school and teachers and parental support could be complete crap too, but don't overlook an overall population issue.
View Quote
I do NOT agree. It is more about culture than population. What difference does it mean if it were a small town with 30 people in a class or a large city with 30 in a class?

It is about discipline as well. Kids in a small town typically do not gang up on a teacher and act up as a gang. Why? because their parents would beat their ass.

In the city near here, a guy I knew and worked with got his teaching certificate. We used to debate politics and racial problems etc.

He always used the excuse that minorities never had a chance for a good education. I agreed that with some that is true, but not the majority.

After one year of teaching he had enough. He told me that he purposely took a job at a school that was 92% minority. He not only could not get any discipline but if he did

try, their parent/parents came to school after him to get him to stop and leave their kid alone. He tried to explain that he just wanted to give them a good education.

The parents just wanted them to get through school period. He now is a very conservative guy...he has seen life in reality and has matured.

Our local high school recently(6 years ago) got a huge share of the government housing children redistricted to their district. It has brought that whole school system down.
All the test scores hit the toilet and the school was graded a failure....until they changed the way the scores were evaluated and now they are passing.

But, we cannot give that school enough money anymore and with the new students whose parents pay no property taxes, the new school taxes always pass on the ballot.

Like throwing money in the shitter.  Discipline is no where to be found at that school and bullying is rampant.  So, welcome to the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I guess the only purpose of schools in Baltimore is child care.
View Quote
don't forget that whole "liberal indoctrination" thing. also, I bet the kids could describe sex acts you've never heard of, thanks to the curriculum.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:18:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
common core math

2 + 2 =   7

close enough  ...  do you feel good  about answering it.   here's a trophy
View Quote
That's not Common Core math.

Gibsmedats + Kill Whitey = Equality

That's Common Core math.

I wish I was joking...
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:07:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Fity + fity = one half of weed yo!
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:15:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The mat test questions are simply ill phrased::

1) If you have 2 bags of coke and sell one for $2000 and then someone wants to buy the second bag, how much should you charge?
View Quote
How much cut is in the 2nd bag?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At 13 Baltimore High Schools, parents take zero interest in the education of their kids.

ETA: or should I say, parent take zero interest in the education of their kids.
View Quote
If that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a chemisty teacher that used to teach IB students who was demoted to babysitting ghetto goblins due to change in politics at my high school.

The ghetto goblins chose not to learn, read, or count.  They all of a sudden got motivated when he started to teach them how to make illegal drugs and weapons.  He said one way or another, they were to go learn sonething from me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Throwing more money at the problem will not help, neither will blaming the teachers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Trump's fault.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

420 EVERY DAY, WORD

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/city-teacher-earns-63k-to-teach-one-class-of-five-students
View All Quotes
Quoted:

BALTIMORE (WBFF) - A Baltimore City School is coming under fire from its own teachers, including one who says her salary is being wasted.

New Era Academy, in south Baltimore, has 25 teachers. Four recently contacted Project Baltimore. Two went on camera. But fearing retaliation, they asked us to conceal their identities.
The staff is fearful,” they told Fox45. “It's cold. It's nasty. It's hostile. There's no leadership in that school.”
New Era in one of the city’s most underperforming schools. According to state testing data, 290 students took state Math and English tests last year. Zero tested proficient.
According to District records, 76% of students are chronically absent– five times the state average.
When students are in school, these educators say, they skip class to roam the hallway. Fights are common. Suspensions have more than doubled since 2015.
“It's not a safe environment for learning. It's not a safe environment to physically be in,” added the same teacher.
420 EVERY DAY, WORD

The educators also explain how students smoke marijuana in the school, every day.
At this point there is no sense to spending the money to keep those schools open.

They have to find a way to let the kids who want to show up and learn, do so. Even if they need extra help.  The money would be there if they didn't have to warehouse the ones who are never going to learn anything.

The school system knows this, but politically they can't admit it. Nobody wants to admit reality. It challenges too many sacred cows.

Give vouchers for parents who care to enroll their kids in schools that don't accept dead weight. Show up and try, and don't cause trouble, or you go.  Fuck the public schools. They have failed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#34]
How much of that money actually goes toward school infrasturcture vs having a bunch of overpaid "administrators" with ridiculous pensions and benefits? I'd be willing to be the actual amount of money per student is shockingly low despite how much they bring in. Also, as mentioned there are systemic cultural issues in a lot of poorer black and white communities that don't encourage learning and education.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah.......Trump's fault.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's cliche, but education begins at home and without a mother and/or father that values education and encourages their children to learn, those kids will never be proficient.
View Quote
If parents don't do their job, then teachers can't do their's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Didn't somebody teach these kids you'll never become a successful drug dealer if you can't math?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's cliche, but education begins at home and without a mother and/or father that values education and encourages their children to learn, those kids will never be proficient.
Wrong.......see post above yours.

End of thread.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Like with anything with in government... they aren't after actual RESULTS. They just need credit for the ATTEMPT. The teacher is present and math books are in the room, what more do you want?
View Quote
I don't know but you can be damn sure there's a politician that tell the taxpayers more money and higher taxes will fix this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Didn't read all three pages, but the problem isn't the public schools, teachers competency, teacher tenure or pay, unions, or all the other stuff we typically hear about (that isn't to say issues with those constructs don't exist, but they aren't contributing to the lackluster student performance problem).

The problem is dysfunctional and broken black families and black culture whose values are the antithesis of the values needed to be successful in academics (and life). The government and [more] money can't fix these problems. But the public and elected officials pressure the public schools and teachers to do something about the poor performance of these inner city students as if the problem lies within the power of the school and teachers to ameliorate. So the school boards, administrators, and teachers go through the motions to come up with new curricula, new programs, new whatever in response to the pressure to "do something and get results."

If you have ever been assigned to work on a project, or new design, or something at your work that you knew from day one would be an abject failure - but you worked on it anyway because your supervisor ordered you to - then you have a better understanding of what many low-income neighborhood public schools and teachers are going through.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#42]
So.... The district that has some of the highest spending per student in the country has a bunch of schools that have no heat or air conditioning?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/k-12/bs-md-ci-heat-policy-20180521-story.html
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The world needs ditch diggers and crop pickers.
View Quote
Mechanization is rapidly replacing the need for those people. Once someone produces cost-affordable machines to pick strawberries, rasberries, watermelons, and the handful of other fruits/veggies that are picked y hand the ag industry won't need much more than a handful of people to drive machines.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#44]
And thus it was...We must continue to build red brick buildings called prisons to house these animals as when they become a wee bit older they will be a blight on the land.
And if you can send your child to private schools.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Clearly black people can be trained for agricultural jobs.  Here in Canada we bring in thousands every year from the caribean to pick crops seasonally. Then they go home.  Why not give these jobs to the locals instead?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But AmeriKans don't do those jobs,

Besides, we need the crops picked correctly.........
Clearly black people can be trained for agricultural jobs.  Here in Canada we bring in thousands every year from the caribean to pick crops seasonally. Then they go home.  Why not give these jobs to the locals instead?
Back in the early 1990s I remember watching a [local] news report. The [white female] reporter was doing a "man on the street" journalism piece on the high rate of unemployment in the black community. She had a group of 5-10 young black men she was interviewing on the street.

She asked them why they were unemployed and each gave the typical responses - no jobs, no one is hiring, etc. After listening to this one young man drone on and on the reporter pointed across the street at a McDonald's that had a sign stating "now hiring" and she said "what about working there?" Without missing a beat the young black man said "it was beneath him to work at McDonald's."

I watched that almost thirty years ago, but it was something that stuck with me as a teachable moment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I believe, therefore, that the true centre of correlation of the school subjects is not science, nor literature, nor history, nor geography, but the child's own social activities.

I believe that education cannot be unified in the study of science, or so-called nature study, because apart from human activity, nature itself is not a unity; nature in itself is a number of diverse objects in space and time, and to attempt to make it the centre of work by itself, is to introduce a principle of radiation rather than one of concentration.

I believe that literature is the reflex expression and interpretation of social experience; that hence it must follow upon and not precede such experience. It, therefore, cannot be made the basis, although it may be made the summary of unification. - John Dewey, father of the modern progressive schooling system
PE all day long for everyone.

Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some hard questions need to be asked.......I don't think society is prepared to ask them.
View Quote
Newp. And we [as a society] aren't headed in a direction to get us to a place where we are ready to ask them. Among many groups we have created vast seas of victims who aren't responsible for their destiny or their lot in life, and any and all failures they experience are the result of external forces foisted upon them by some other boogeyman group.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I blame the schools.  Surely the parents are doing everything they can to help their children.
View Quote
Especially the kids fathers.................  
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't know but you can be damn sure there's a politician that tell the taxpayers more money and higher taxes will fix this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like with anything with in government... they aren't after actual RESULTS. They just need credit for the ATTEMPT. The teacher is present and math books are in the room, what more do you want?
That's because more money equals more services and more programs which equals the politician being able to tell his/her constituents that he/she is doing something about the problem. Politics isn't about actually solving problems, it's about placating your voters by creating the perception that you are working to solve their problems. You then use the additional funds to make yourself, your pals, and your big special interest groups wealthy. That is why government just grows and grows, and politicians, lobbyists, and business owners get richer and richer, yet our societal problems never get fixed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#50]
As someone who is on the cusp of "millennial" I can tell you I  can even see a drastic difference in the schooling. Where I see the difference is, is in the parents. I remember being in school and you treated your teachers with respect and you had to work or your ass got beat. Now its obvious kids do what they want, tell the teacher how it will be, and if anything is brought up to the parents its everyone else's problem not theirs or their kids.

I have a little one on the way and as much as I loved public school my kid will be in private. Even if I go poor paying for it.

Has anyone watch the A&E documentary on high schools (Like the jail show with people on the inside). Literally every class shown the kids were just on cell phones the teacher was really just a babysitter until the bell rang.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top