Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope they build more than 20 or so of them this time.

A craft incorporating the lessons of decades of B2 and F22 service. It's going to be interesting...
View Quote

i'm going to put my money on probably even less....
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They want 100
View Quote

which means they'll probably build 10, while taking money for a 100
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

which means they'll probably build 10, while taking money for a 100
View Quote

Unless everyone is lying, B-21 development is on time and on budget. In addition, manufacturing will be a fixed price contract, which is why USAF and Northrop Grumman are tracking the agreed-to price against inflation.

Boeing, for example, may be woefully underperforming on KC-46 and the new Air Force One, but they are eating the cost overruns.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sad plane is sad
View Quote
Chinese version has same windows.  But inverted.

Industrial design matters.  Things with a face.  Cat version has whiskers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I didn't say it was.
View Quote
In fact, everything you wrote implies that at least the basic B2 design is stealthy.  Enhancements to the B21 probably improve stealth in all areas of detection.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad plane is sad

This is cutting edge biomimicry in action.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
New pic

Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope they build more than 20 or so of them this time.

A craft incorporating the lessons of decades of B2 and F22 service. It's going to be interesting...

We will end up with 200. Especially because most will arrive after a likely war with China and be needed to replace combat losses to the B-52 fleet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Lol!  Bite your tongue…
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]
So we shall soon have a nuclear capable, heavy, stealth aircraft with a cute anime face.

I really couldn't have asked for more.

If the Japanese, Australians and British wind up buying their own, mores the better.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The Buff could have been replaced long ago by developing weaponized variants of the C-17, C-130 and tankers. If you need a bomber to fire stand off weapons, which is what the B-52 is good for in major combat, you have to keep it ready at all times at enormous cost. Pushing those out the back of cargo aircraft would enable the savings to be repurposed to more cargo aircraft, which is far more useful.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Buff could have been replaced long ago by developing weaponized variants of the C-17, C-130 and tankers. If you need a bomber to fire stand off weapons, which is what the B-52 is good for in major combat, you have to keep it ready at all times at enormous cost. Pushing those out the back of cargo aircraft would enable the savings to be repurposed to more cargo aircraft, which is far more useful.
View Quote

The BUFFs have crazy amounts of airframe time left; they were super overbuilt and if we're not using them for low level penetration the actual loads on the aircraft are basically nothing (not actually nothing, I get it). The bomb bays are huge and are much more efficient at delivering payloads than dumping them out the back ramp of an airlifter. Plus, the amount of work required to weaponize an airlifter would be way more expensive than any of us can imagine.

The BUFF is just the right platform for the mission. Besides, if Air Mobility Command has access to these weaponized airlifters as actual airlift assets, it will take an act of Congress to get them to give them up to Global Strike Command. Airlift assets are always in critically short supply and are task-saturated.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Maintaining and upgrading a whole airframe basically for the off chance that you’ll need to use a very limited number of stand-off weapons isn’t a great deal for us. Roll that shit out of the back of cargo aircraft. If that could have gotten us an additional 100 C-17s we would be much better off.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maintaining and upgrading a whole airframe basically for the off chance that you'll need to use a very limited number of stand-off weapons isn't a great deal for us. Roll that shit out of the back of cargo aircraft. If that could have gotten us an additional 100 C-17s we would be much better off.
View Quote
What problem does 100 C-17s solve?

In the logic of using mobility aircraft to execute the nuclear mission, what then is the purpose of submarines? Should we scratch those and buy more Boston whalers?
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Shortage of mobility aircraft.

In the logic of using mobility aircraft to execute the nuclear mission, what then is the purpose of submarines? Should we scratch those and buy more Boston whalers?

Not a like comparison. The B-52 can do three things in a peer or near peer war. Fire stand off munitions against land targets, or against ships, or lay mines. You don’t need to operate the only 65ish aircraft of type to do that, and you can use mobility aircraft in peacetime also. Whereas submarines have a dozen uses and a whaler replaces none of them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Shortage of mobility aircraft.

Not a like comparison. The B-52 can do three things in a peer or near peer war. Fire stand off munitions against land targets, or against ships, or lay mines. You don’t need to operate the only 65ish aircraft of type to do that, and you can use mobility aircraft in peacetime also. Whereas submarines have a dozen uses and a whaler replaces none of them.
View Quote

Naval mining is gonna be a hot ticket soon.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Did they build in a cot for crew naps?

I remember reading B2 didn't have anything so the crews started shoe horning a cot in the cockpit somehow so they could do those 20 hour missions
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Naval mining is gonna be a hot ticket soon.
View Quote

Yup and the C-17 can do it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I remember reading B2 didn't have anything so the crews started shoe horning a cot in the cockpit somehow so they could do those 20 hour missions
View Quote

I believe not only does the B2 have a cot, it also has a small shitter
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#21]
My proposed B-52 replacement aircraft would have as many crew comforts as possible.

Bunk beds, big ones and a really nice bathroom. Perhaps even a shower. It probably wouldn't fly too often but when it did, it would be a loooong flight.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've always told my wife, if I have to take business trips to Las Vegas, don't ask questions but be happy for me.

I don't think that's exactly going to happen however...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't believe that it hasn't flown yet. When can we see the Aurora, Dark Star and Brilliant Buzzard? We the people paid for them so give us a look.

I've always told my wife, if I have to take business trips to Las Vegas, don't ask questions but be happy for me.

I don't think that's exactly going to happen however...

I would love to go to Vegas too! The speculation is that the program refereed to as "Brilliant Buzzard" may have been the the X37 space plane. I would be thrilled to see a a Sr-71 successor or rumored Aurora type aircraft.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Our government sucks at keeping a secrets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGxLbqnDKJU
View Quote

Maybe now, but not always.
Was at Edwards in the 80’s when F117 and B2 were being developed.
Seems like we kept those secrets well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To me that was a given. If I can't pee or take dump while eating cheetos on a 20 hour mission to bomb Tehran I ain't going
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The BUFFs have crazy amounts of airframe time left; they were super overbuilt and if we're not using them for low level penetration the actual loads on the aircraft are basically nothing (not actually nothing, I get it). The bomb bays are huge and are much more efficient at delivering payloads than dumping them out the back ramp of an airlifter. Plus, the amount of work required to weaponize an airlifter would be way more expensive than any of us can imagine.

The BUFF is just the right platform for the mission. Besides, if Air Mobility Command has access to these weaponized airlifters as actual airlift assets, it will take an act of Congress to get them to give them up to Global Strike Command. Airlift assets are always in critically short supply and are task-saturated.
View Quote

We have a rack that parachutes out the back of a C17 and launches cruise missiles out the bottom as it floats down under the canopy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Exclusive First Look: Step inside the cockpit of a B-2 stealth bomber
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

To me that was a given. If I can't pee or take dump while eating cheetos on a 20 hour mission to bomb Tehran I ain't going
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The B2 and the United States military logistics to support it are just absolutely mind blowing.

Imagine being a Warrior in 2022. You grab a cup of coffee and kiss your wife goodbye and drive 20 minutes to your base in Missouri.
You get on your plane and just fly for like 12 hours, getting refueled along the way, halfway across the entire planet.
You're not terribly worried about getting shot down because they can't target the plane you're flying.
You bomb an enemy of your country.
You then fly back for another 12 hours.
You talk to some guys to debrief
You go back home to your wife.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The B2 and the United States military logistics to support it are just absolutely mind blowing.

Imagine being a Warrior in 2022. You grab a cup of coffee and kiss your wife goodbye and drive 20 minutes to your base in Missouri.
You get on your plane and just fly for like 12 hours, getting refueled along the way, halfway across the entire planet.
You're not terribly worried about getting shot down because they can't target the plane you're flying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck the terrorists,  then raw dog fuck the wife, all within 24 hrs..... god I love being an American........
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do you honestly think the DoD or the USAF would use anything 'incredibly vulnerable' on a nuclear capable bomber? Or that a Mac with a USB port can 'hack' into it?

m
View Quote

Considering what I've seen the gov do in the past...yes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do you understand the benefit of starting a launch with 400 knots heading in the right direction?

That's a ballpark number.  The same holds if the weapon starts at 300 knots or 500 knots. Accelerating from zero speed requires tons of energy that isn't spent on range, and worse if the missile is vertical after the drop, tail up or down.

View Quote

I do, but you’re talking about a technical and weaponeering challenge and I’m talking about operational and strategic level force structure issues.

We’ve traded capacity for capability and something will have to give.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:23:42 PM EDT
[#32]

I like it but I would also like a different angle of the plane instead of different backgrounds.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That sounds incredibly vulnerable…
View All Quotes
Quoted:

don't worry, it's only the shitheap that is kubernetes
DoD is trying to get onboard with "the devops", they call it DSOP
ETA PDF from NIST because their website is down, lmao

The AirForce implementation is DevStar, which the B21 implements and they're experimenting on other platforms such as the F16 too

“Our B-21 team just ran containerized software with Kubernetes on flight-ready hardware! Another step towards ‘DevStar’: our initiative to bring radical autonomy to software development, partnering with Northrop Grumman. Owning the digital OODA [Observe, Orient, Decide, Act] loop or bust!”
–Dr. Will Roper, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics
May 29, 2020

The DevStar program received heavy criticism from the Air Force’s chief software officer, who resigned last year

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Tellin ya, that body has lots of room for payload, fuel, or both. America owns the high ground.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Tellin ya, that body has lots of room for payload, fuel, or both. America owns the high ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hopefully both

I've only flown paper airplanes, so I'm not sure how payload works for these.

Is the limitation overall weight, or is it more how many mounting points there are for weapons on the internal rotary launchers?

IE if it has a 30,000lb payload, can it really hold 120x 250lb Small Diameter Bombs? Or it constrained by mounting points for the bombs?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its just a function of modern stealth design, where in a somewhat counter-intuitive way, stealth is improved by having various lines/edges be parallel.

If you looked at a top view of the aircraft, I'll bet that the edges of the windshield are parallel with the leading edges or one of the trailing edges. Mapping those angles onto the curved shape of the fuselage makes for those shapes when viewed from the front.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it does. The pilots take turns napping, etc. I've been in the cockpit of a B-2. It's rather unremarkable, much like the cockpit of an older commercial airliner. And it's pretty dang small. Of course it was also full of things I couldn't ask about...
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 2:21:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

don't worry, it's only the shitheap that is kubernetes
DoD is trying to get onboard with "the devops", they call it DSOP
ETA PDF from NIST because their website is down, lmao

The AirForce implementation is DevStar, which the B21 implements and they're experimenting on other platforms such as the F16 too

The DevStar program received heavy criticism from the Air Force’s chief software officer, who resigned last year

View Quote

Holy fuck
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 2:36:43 AM EDT
[#39]
It was a cool event!

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I do, but you’re talking about a technical and weaponeering challenge and I’m talking about operational and strategic level force structure issues.

We’ve traded capacity for capability and something will have to give.
View Quote

We can give them nukes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hopefully both

I've only flown paper airplanes, so I'm not sure how payload works for these.

Is the limitation overall weight, or is it more how many mounting points there are for weapons on the internal rotary launchers?

IE if it has a 30,000lb payload, can it really hold 120x 250lb Small Diameter Bombs? Or it constrained by mounting points for the bombs?
View Quote

It's both weight and mounting points. I'd be surprised if this thing ever carries SDB; a B61 Mod 12 at 800 pounds would be more realistic.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah it’s really about what the back half looks like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at a front view it is and it kinda isn't.

Yeah it’s really about what the back half looks like.

And the sensor suite, the modular design of the avionics, the upgradability  - a lot of lessons learned from the B2, the F22, and the F35.

It’s supposed to be even more stealthy than any previous aircraft, with better sensors and battlefield awareness than the F35.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#43]
I've seen a few people referring to this thing as "6th gen." Is it really 6th gen or 5th or 5.5?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's both weight and mounting points. I'd be surprised if this thing ever carries SDB; a B61 Mod 12 at 800 pounds would be more realistic.
View Quote

Meh. Most of the aircraft it’s replacing are tactical bombers, expect it to carry mostly conventional weapons.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've seen a few people referring to this thing as "6th gen." Is it really 6th gen or 5th or 5.5?
View Quote
What defines 6th gen?
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Raider has been designed as an Open Architecture, so that new upgrades can be quickly installed (more or less like new Apps and Updates are made available to a smartphone) and leverages a Cloud infrastructure to more maintainable and sustainable aircraft with lower-cost infrastructure.

Only a matter of time until someone installs TikTok on it, and the Chi-Coms proceed to land it at Lop Nor.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it really matter what you call it when it's the most advanced bomber there is?

Generations might be relevant when there's something roughly similar to compare it to.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Was at Edwards in the 80's when F117 and B2 were being developed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our government sucks at keeping a secrets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGxLbqnDKJU

Was at Edwards in the 80's when F117 and B2 were being developed.
I started looking for the F-117 in 1986 when I bought a 4x4.  Unfortunately, I was looking near Area 51 instead of the Tonapah Test Range, about 75 miles NW of Area 51.  Unlike A 51, you can drive up to the gate at TTR.

Also, we knew about the B-2 development at Boeing when the Boeing Development Center, south Boeing Field, went Black in late 1980 or early 1981.  My cousin worked on the program at the time; I wish I still had the B-2 sweater she gave me.  

In other words, it wasn't all that secret at the time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#50]
probably an accurate 3D render.  no surprises and safe guesses, but cool to see from different angles

America's Invisible New Stealth Bomber - The B-21 Raider
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top