User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would more napalm have helped?  Burn the snot out of the island for a week and then land?  Asking for a buddhist.
View Quote

Napalm didn't come into use in bombs until 1944.

It was heavily used by the Navy & Marines on Iwo Jima & especially Okinawa.

It was an excellent area denial weapon as a bomb had to enter a narrow cave with overhang, or gun slit - whereas Napalm would burn the area out - and even if the flames didn't enter, the consumption of oxygen in caves often left Japanese troops unburned yet stone dead.

US Marine Pilots were experts at using their Corsairs to provide close air support for Marines, including Napalm.

The Marines found Napalm so useful they upgraded a number of Sherman medium tanks into Flame Tanks to attach fortified enemy strongpoints while giving protection against small arms fire.

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
by the time they got to Okinawa US services were tired of the whole thing of caves. They backed aviation fuel trucks up to any entrance they could find empty them down the cave/tunnel. Toss in a couple of grenades and shoot anything that popped up from other holes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Would more napalm have helped?  Burn the snot out of the island for a week and then land?  Asking for a buddhist.
View Quote

HCN might've.  Or phosgene.

IIRC, there was some debate to using chemical weapons on targets like Betio:  isolated, practically zero civilians, and heavily fortified.  Plus the benefit that the IJA was unlikely to be able to return the favor...

Covering the island in WP or napalm works too, I guess.  Though looking back, jeez, just skip it and take Kwaj instead.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
My father was there, when I was a kid I remember him never eating shellfish when I asked why he told me about crabs and lobsters on Marine bodies who had fallen in the surf.

God I miss him.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My father was there, when I was a kid I remember him never eating shellfish when I asked why he told me about crabs and lobsters on Marine bodies who had fallen in the surf.

God I miss him.
View Quote

May he rest in peace.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]
"Lady Marines"

The narration makes the film.

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks.  I enjoyed it.  Tarawa was where a Lt Deane Hawkin's Scout-Sniper platoon stormed ashore to capture a pier.  He was killed but earned the MoH for himself there.  Hawkin's was succeded by Sgt. Morris C. Owens.
View Quote

My Dad was temporarily assigned to Hawkins' platoon and trained up for the invasion of Tarawa (Betio). Right before they hit the island, the Marine that my Dad was replacing came back off his medical profile, so they put my Dad back in the commo platoon. Probably pretty lucky for him.  Dad made it through Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, and Okinawa prior to occupying Nagasaki shortly after Fat Man dropped.  He lived to be 87.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top