Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:25:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You had money for the dog groomer though, huh?

Incur debt. Immediately, and fix it. You signed up for this.

Leaving the dog infested with parasites is unacceptable.

If you can't take care of that dog, rehome it to someone who can.

OP sucks and should feel horrible. The dog however is both blameless and awesome.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/357023/F83F0C5C-7902-4BB1-B6EA-620BC47B73F4-2644128.jpg

This was in response to the Diatomaceous Earth     So thanks for that
View Quote

Fruit flies/fungus nats seem to thrive in houseplants thouroughly coated in that stuff.

Make sure you at least get the food grade if you are trying to wipe out fleas. Shit can be kind of hazardous to people too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

OP sucks and should feel horrible. The dog however is both blameless and awesome.
View Quote

I wouldnt go that far without more details but the pic leaves me with concerns. Everything there says i can afford to treat the infestation of insects on a living creature i am responsible for and likely covering my home but for some reason have chosen not to.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice Mini Schnauzer. I have two. I have had Two before the two I have now. I'm glad mine don't have any.  Fleas? Those fuckers eat me alive. I'm glad I don't have any here...
When I was younger, in high school, we had an infestation in my house in Southern California. They never went after my parents. Finally, I showed my parents all the bite marks on my legs and back and told them either they do something about it, or I would have to move out of the house.
They had pest control spray the entire house. I latter found those damn things in the pages of books! It's my skin type or something that attracts them to me. I hate those damn things.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tall, uncut or unkempt grass also harbors fleas and ticks. Keep your grass short and spray it regularly with poison.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-r9gdwd/images/stencil/original/products/1653/4748/Wondercide_Yard2__28928.1593647766.jpg
View Quote

we have a monthly yard spray for fleas, ticks and fire ants. they rotate the chemicals so there's no "resistance" developing. i throw granular bait around the perimeter, as needed. my yard is free from the stuff that would bite me or the dogs, but the neighbors don't feel the need, so there's always the threat of stuff coming through the fence, or feral mongrel cats bringing stuff in when they cross the fence. i do check all of the ones i kill (or that the dogs get first) to see if they have fleas. i have a couple of those little sticky traps with night lights on them, and will place them out randomly where the dogs hang out, to see if anything is caught. i keep the grass long (it's better for the yard) but the spraying and granules is very effective. i wouldn't bomb inside the house, just vacuum, sprinkle d.e. around, and vacuum more. flea traps and treating the dog will knock them out, with d.e. inside to finish off anything that escapes the vacuum and traps.

i wouldn't use a candle trap, just for the fire hazard they present. we use these, when the mood strikes, just to see.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Fruit flies/fungus nats seem to thrive in houseplants thouroughly coated in that stuff.

Make sure you at least get the food grade if you are trying to wipe out fleas. Shit can be kind of hazardous to people too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/357023/F83F0C5C-7902-4BB1-B6EA-620BC47B73F4-2644128.jpg

This was in response to the Diatomaceous Earth     So thanks for that

Even the food grade stuff can be harmful to lungs if enough of it is inhaled.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 2:34:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

we have a monthly yard spray for fleas, ticks and fire ants. they rotate the chemicals so there's no "resistance" developing. i throw granular bait around the perimeter, as needed. my yard is free from the stuff that would bite me or the dogs, but the neighbors don't feel the need, so there's always the threat of stuff coming through the fence, or feral mongrel cats bringing stuff in when they cross the fence. i do check all of the ones i kill (or that the dogs get first) to see if they have fleas. i have a couple of those little sticky traps with night lights on them, and will place them out randomly where the dogs hang out, to see if anything is caught. i keep the grass long (it's better for the yard) but the spraying and granules is very effective. i wouldn't bomb inside the house, just vacuum, sprinkle d.e. around, and vacuum more. flea traps and treating the dog will knock them out, with d.e. inside to finish off anything that escapes the vacuum and traps.

i wouldn't use a candle trap, just for the fire hazard they present. we use these, when the mood strikes, just to see.

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Victor_Flea_Trap_Collage_1000px.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tall, uncut or unkempt grass also harbors fleas and ticks. Keep your grass short and spray it regularly with poison.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-r9gdwd/images/stencil/original/products/1653/4748/Wondercide_Yard2__28928.1593647766.jpg

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Victor_Flea_Trap_Collage_1000px.jpg

Use those traps with a cyclic timer (5 minutes on, 10 seconds off). Increases the effectiveness by a LOT.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dawn dish soap

Give it a few through lathering in that and rinse very thoroughly
View Quote

FPNI, dawn
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and OP

cute dog

View Quote

Thanks man, she's an annoying pain in the ass. Too smart, with separation anxiety. But I love the damn dog, I've been treating her better every day.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep assuming. I cut her hair myself. Thank you for noticing her coat though. She was taking a little nappypoo so it's messy in this pic, but the first pic shows my work

@fargo007

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 3:42:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wouldnt go that far without more details but the pic leaves me with concerns. Everything there says i can afford to treat the infestation of insects on a living creature i am responsible for and likely covering my home but for some reason have chosen not to.
View Quote

This is an approach I can respect.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Even the food grade stuff can be harmful to lungs if enough of it is inhaled.
View Quote

Makes sense. I used to do sheet rock, and being the student I am, I read the bag of quickset 40 one day. It said some bullshit about the dangers of "free silica cast". That earth stuff is silica, so I assume they are related.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
diatomaceous earth
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dawn dish soap

Give it a few through lathering in that and rinse very thoroughly
View Quote

This.  Plus, if you put some water in a shallow dish and add some Dawn and put it on the floor with a light pointed at it overnight, any fleas hopping around the house will jump in and drown because the Dawn breaks the surface tension.

That's how we did it in my poor, white trash childhood.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also, use dish soap traps.

https://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/c/c6/Make-a-Flea-Trap-Step-8-Version-2.jpg/v4-460px-Make-a-Flea-Trap-Step-8-Version-2.jpg

You can use a LED tea-candle light. Place it in a dark room and the fleas drown in the soapy water.
View Quote

Lol!  Darn.  I should read threads before I jump in!  

But I thought I was the only one who knew that!

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Fpni
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#17]
diatomaceous earth is a joke

I was told use it around the outside of your house to keep the scorpions dead or away.

Filled a Tupperware container with diatomaceous earth placed a scorpion inside shook it. Left it closed for several days. Opened container and Mr Scorpion was still running around happy as a clam.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
diatomaceous earth is a joke

I was told use it around the outside of your house to keep the scorpions dead or away.

Filled a Tupperware container with diatomaceous earth placed a scorpion inside shook it. Left it closed for several days. Opened container and Mr Scorpion was still running around happy as a clam.

View Quote

One of those yellow ones?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
diatomaceous earth
View Quote

THIS ^^^

I used this on my dogs & indoor carpets.
https://diypestcontrolguide.com/does-does-diatomaceous-earth-kill-ants/
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I give my dog some kind of expensive ass chewable it kills every damn bug that may get on him plus it also kills all the shit that may be in your house because the insect inevitably get on the dog then they die

So it’s like a self licking ice cream cone

And I haven’t seen a tick down here since like 1992
View Quote

Heart Guard
Once a month, you don’t see fleas anywhere.  Whatever is in it is good.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I used to spread it around in my chicken coop, to keep mites and stuff killed off.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More info on the diatomaceous earth please.

I used to spread it around in my chicken coop, to keep mites and stuff killed off.

Be sure to use food grade, not pool grade.  

OP, when we had fleas, I gave a Bravecto and it worked.  It’s pricey, but works.  For the yard, we used Talsrar, and I forgot for the house.  We went to a pest company to get the best stuff.  If it’s not a bad infestation, the Bravecto works and no fleas found.  There is a 3 month pill and a 1 month pill. You said no poison, but it’s quick.  Your vet will sell them.

It could also be dry skin from your heater in the cold weather if you don’t see fleas. Adding some olive oil or salmon oil will help that dry skin.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Diatomaceous earth, lemongrass oil spray, constant vacuuming, and permethrin sprayed in the yard every week until gone
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.
View Quote

ETA: Never mind I see your mind has already been made right.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#24]
put garlic in the dogfood.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#25]
yep about 2 1/2" long
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
diatomaceous earth
View Quote

This. Rub it into their coat and it will kill them easy. Do not breathe the dust when applying.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
yep about 2 1/2" long
View Quote

I grew up in the valley (that's the 4 southern most counties of Texas incase you didn't know) and those damn scorpions are super common there. I've been stung a time or two. My ex bil once slept on the floor and got stung all over.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This. Its totally safe. You can even eat it (if you get food grade.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
diatomaceous earth

This. Its totally safe. You can even eat it (if you get food grade.)

I was going to recommend this too, but please note it is not exactly "totally" safe.

It is a respiratory irritant, and you should avoid creating dust clouds and breathing it in.  
It will probably cause some cumulative lung damage if you are exposed to too much in the air.

As long as it isn't airborne, it is biologically safe for mammals, birds, etc.

It kills insects by puncturing their membranes (usually at the joints) with microscopic sharp projections, and the insect's internal fluids leak out and they dehydrate to death.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
put garlic in the dogfood.
View Quote

I think she's German, not Italian lol.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
diatomaceous earth
View Quote

This. Just powder them once every week or two and the fleas will be gone. Then stop.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/c/c6/Make-a-Flea-Trap-Step-8-Version-2.jpg/v4-460px-Make-a-Flea-Trap-Step-8-Version-2.jpg

You can use a LED tea-candle light. Place it in a dark room and the fleas drown in the soapy water.

Not sure if serious.

Fleas on the ground will be attracted to the heat and moisture and you will kill some fleas.  Likely not enough to hamper an infestation - more for detection/confirmation than control.  A small desk lamp over the dish will work as well.

Diatomaceous Earth will kill fleas and most other insects.  It works by dehydrating them, and is non-toxic.  Spread it liberally on carpets, furniture, etc., where you suspect infestation, but if your dog or cat is still bringing them in from outside you're going to continue to have problems.  When I had an infestation, what killed them off for good was giving the dog a medication which essentially made the dog toxic to the fleas.  Bravecto or Simparica for example.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#32]
My poor dog got fleas last month. I used flea shampoo, took two baths. I also washed all bedding then kept running it through the dryer once or twice a day. And vacuumed like a methhead and dumped vac in outside trash. I used packing tape to catch the ones we found on him. He was good after about 5 days. Freaked me out and dog was miserable.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I've read Dawn breaks down their exoskeleton which leads to death.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious.

Yes, it will work for the fleas that are off the dog laying eggs on/in your flooring. There was a product back in the 90s that had a night light over some stick paper (rat trap / fly paper type stuff), and the fleas would jump toward the light and land on the sticky.  We had old wood floors and the fleas were laying eggs in the cracks in the wood. If you have carpet, spread Borax (borate powder) and leave for a few days then vacuum, nmay need to reapply.

You can get the fleas off the dog pretty easy, but you have to stop the egg laying/hatching cycle, too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My grandpa always used murphys oil.  I don't know if it really works or not, but he swore by it.
View Quote

Did you grandpa know what a flea looked like?  If he did then it probably worked.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, it will work for the fleas that are off the dog laying eggs on/in your flooring. There was a product back in the 90s that had a night light over some stick paper (rat trap / fly paper type stuff), and the fleas would jump toward the light and land on the sticky.  We had old wood floors and the fleas were laying eggs in the cracks in the wood. If you have carpet, spread Borax (borate powder) and leave for a few days then vacuum, nmay need to reapply.

You can get the fleas off the dog pretty easy, but you have to stop the egg laying/hatching cycle, too.
View Quote

Yeah I'm picking up on that. I've only ever used those drops you run down their back, I guess I'll use that. It's not an infestation, I've checked her coat and the signs are not there (no visible fleas, no flea shit really). But I'm planning on doing the heartguard
thing also, sometime soon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Have you actually seen fleas? Dogs do scratch for other reasons.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Capstar, good stuff.  Little pill, cram it down dogs throat and in about 30 minutes fleas start dropping off dead.  Should use in conjunction with a topical monthly treatment along with treating furniture and floors etc.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
diatomaceous earth
View Quote

Food grade in carpets and grass. It’s not selective and will kill just about all insects it touches.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Have you actually seen fleas? Dogs do scratch for other reasons.
View Quote

Yes, one or two a few days ago. I removed it, looked her over, she's half shaved , so it's easy. I thought that was that but I guess she picks them up outside. Never had this problem before.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the info, and saving that dog.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More info on the diatomaceous earth please.

I second or third or whatever its up too on this stuff.

I never heard of it till I moved to the country.  3 or 4 summers ago, we had a bad bout with our dogs and fleas.

An old farmer guy that we know, recommended we go to the feed store and pick up a 50lb bag or whatever it comes in.

Supposedly the stuff is non-harmful to humans or animals at all, but some how dissolves the fleas and a few other pests and keeps them from coming right back for a time.

We have/had one of those larger lawn fertilizer spreaders that you can tow behind a Zero turn, ATV or whatever. Using that thing, I did a perimeter around the house, from the house about 250 feet out. We've had a few summers since and I've not seen a single flea, Nat, lady bug or anything else in the covered areas since.

I will warn ya on the application, the stuff has the texture and consistency of flower or powdered sugar maybe.  It was not good on the bearings and workings of my spreader.  But, it did do its job on the fleas.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Poor lady bugs man. Going to let my parents know about the stuff though. They got (have :)) a house out in the country and can benefit from this.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Soresto collar works for my dogs.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top