Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2024 9:09:20 PM EDT
Basically just that. Looking for something that can send me alerts, preferably via Bluetooth as it seems ones that connect via Wi-Fi tend to kill my cell phone quickly, self powered, that don’t require a cell signal to operate. Have tried Wyze but they use Wi-Fi and kill the battery. Would prefer something that is a lighter option for backpacking. I imagine there is a trail cam that would probably fit the bill if anyone has any ideas.

Between coyotes, black bears, other critters and typical California residents looking for ideas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you should just stay home.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Woof woof!  Analog.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You should probably just go to your local city park or maybe the mall.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Your goal is to have a camera send you a photo to your phone via Bluetooth?  And this is a preventive/preemptive security measure?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Lowe's sells periscopes for tents.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:31:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: L_JE] [#6]
It's times like these that I'm happy I can just roll over onto my non-impaired side and ignore the world.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sorry_Your_Girl_Lost:
Woof woof!  Analog.
View Quote

Runs off common kibble too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I think you're doing it wrong OP.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Trip wire alarm with a flash bang is quite effective.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
How about just plugging in the phone to a battery bank? You can get them for like $20. Some even have woreless charging built in so no cord nessassary.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used old moterola baby cams for similar situations, the camera can be powered by a 3.6v lithium 18650 for 8-12 hours, the reciever part can be dimmed to preserve bat life, just hit the button if you hear something.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Trailhead vehicle break ins by South American gang members are sort of common.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GUNSAP:
You should probably just go to your local city park or maybe the mall.

Or hear me out. It's often done by the local methbillies.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Your goal is to have a camera send you a photo to your phone via Bluetooth?  And this is a preventive/preemptive security measure?
View Quote

Some kind of alert with access to camera being a plus. Multi roll for security and entertainment (take pictures of wild animals). Often go camping in mountain lion/black bear/bobcat territory. Not uncommon to see large animal prints outside of the tent when you wake up or to hear them sniffing around your tent while you’re asleep.

More and more people are also going to secluded areas and doing stupid crap as well that don’t seem to have the best intentions.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Baby cam if you must.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#17]
OP needs thicker skin or a dog. Quite possibly both.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Fishing line with empty beer cans has worked for thousands of years.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Be sure to get one that is compatible with your camping microwave oven.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Just a regular ole game cam
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this a Bigfoot thread

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By vinyl:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/422438/IMG_0182_jpeg-3323600.JPG
View Quote

QFT...

Also there are noise triggers along the same lines, for cheap, on amazon.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Trip wire and cans with a few stones is the old school alarm.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By vinyl:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/422438/IMG_0182_jpeg-3323600.JPG
View Quote
Holy shit!  Heading over to Amazon.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
OP needs thicker skin or a dog. Quite possibly both.
View Quote

The methbillies out in the Sierras are pretty bad. While he didn’t have much a coworker had land ransacked and it’s getting to be pretty common. Remember in California it’s legal for people to have machine guns as long as they have a felony criminal record.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mleaky:
Just a regular ole game cam
View Quote

Yep. Take a look at the last few pages of this thread for examples
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Trail-cam-New-Cougar-video-page-81-/5-2220274/

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Screw cameras, use a drive way alarm, the one below comes with 3 sensors, you can add more and it will tell you which one picks up motion ( which one of 4 directions ). The base runs off 12 volts, and sensors are battery powered.

Set up a perimeter of sensors and it will make a noise and show which directions with out using your cell at all. They have a pretty long range like 100 yards thru the woods with no problem.
driveway alarm
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Joezamboni:

Some kind of alert with access to camera being a plus. Multi roll for security and entertainment (take pictures of wild animals). Often go camping in mountain lion/black bear/bobcat territory. Not uncommon to see large animal prints outside of the tent when you wake up or to hear them sniffing around your tent while you’re asleep.

More and more people are also going to secluded areas and doing stupid crap as well that don’t seem to have the best intentions.
View All Quotes

Step 1
Have gun
Step 2
If tent is breached, shoot
Step 3
Sleep

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Maybe you should just stay home.
View Quote

Sounds like the safer bet with all those killer black bears and yotes running around!
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Learn proper methods for securing your food, and don't cook near your tent.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Learn proper methods for securing your food, and don't cook near your tent.
View Quote

Bears are more to take pictures if we see one. Sadly a lot of the national forest areas and private property close by are developing issues with theft.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Bears are more to take pictures if we see one. Sadly a lot of the national forest areas and private property close by are developing issues with theft.
View Quote

Dude how much stuff do you have to worry about if you're back packing ?

I can see if you had a camper set up on some off grid site and wanted to do some hiking away from camp .

If maybe camping in grizzly country I could see a portable electric fence but I think you are kind of stressing over nothing .
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#34]
OP.

Stand By Me: Vern stands guard with gun
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:
OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAk5VOmp-H8
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#36]
When camping in a hammock on the north rim, we usually have a mountain lion for security LOL. They scream at the invaders. It can make your skin crawl and you always grab your 9mm, the best mm.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm guessing you don't sleep on the ground with tarp over your  sleeping bag much
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Claytonhoneyberry] [#38]

View All Quotes

You sound scared.

As soon as you step on the trail, you’re in their house. Nature works that way. If you can’t handle it, stay home.

Your state has really made everyone afraid of everything.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#39]
If you want pictures of animal just lug a trail camera.

If you are worried about methheads and being eaten carry a gun, bear spray, stick, rock or just show up to the altercation already naked.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

You sound scared.

View Quote

I often wonder if the people that make comments like yours are capable of doing 4,000 ft of elevation gain with 35lbs on their back in a day.

It’s a camera for hiking, act like internet tough guy on Reddit
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Basically just that. Looking for something that can send me alerts, preferably via Bluetooth as it seems ones that connect via Wi-Fi tend to kill my cell phone quickly, self powered, that don’t require a cell signal to operate. Have tried Wyze but they use Wi-Fi and kill the battery. Would prefer something that is a lighter option for backpacking. I imagine there is a trail cam that would probably fit the bill if anyone has any ideas.

Between coyotes, black bears, other critters and typical California residents looking for ideas.
View Quote

If you're in a tent in CA, no critters will bother you if you follow strict food storage techniques.  Hang food away from your tent and cook away from your tent.  Don't have scented items in your tent.  Conversely you can use a bear can for food storage.

If you're backpacking on regular backpacking trails, the critters are pretty aware of humans.  They are just looking for food.
As long as you aren't a tasty looking tiny human, mtn lions most likely won't stalk you. That is on the trail.  When in camp critters, bears and mtn lions may come into camp while you're sleeping and leave paw prints.  I had both sets of prints around my tent when camping remotely once while deer hunting.  I heard the bear at night circling around the tent. Had my pistol nearby.  Waking up and seeing mtn lion prints, too, did spook me some.

My biggest worry when backpacking in the Sierra are from squirrels and chipmunks getting into and eating a hole in my backpack if I left something tasty in there.  

If you're looking for a perimeter warning system, bells on things, that primer bang system with a trip wire might get triggered by a bear or a human coming into camp, but not much else.

Just have your handgun close to you while sleeping and don't sleep with earplugs if you want early warning.

All this advice is for nought if there is a rabid bear or mtn lion on the hunt. There are exceptions to everything.   Luckily, there are no landsharks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#42]
You could be a man and just look outside your tent...
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 12:58:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I’ve got a tacticam game camera that works off cell service and is maybe $9 month or so. Sends real time pictures and good IR. Has optional solar panel.

Have ran it for a year untouched on a property for surveillance and does a real nice job. Could easily go mobile with it
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 1:19:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerHammer] [#44]
A trail cam with cell service seems like it would do exactly what you want. They send photos to you via text message in real time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Really, really, really sad we are here today as a society.

This post and responses prove it.

Stay in the fucking basement.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 2:13:46 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

And?  OP is 2 miles away, what's he gonna do about a trailhead break-in?
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 2:14:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:
Be sure to get one that is compatible with your camping microwave oven.
View Quote

I take my camping Roomba along to spiff up the campsite before I settle in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 2:46:52 AM EDT
[#48]

You sound scared.

As soon as you step on the trail, you’re in their house. Nature works that way. If you can’t handle it, stay home.

View All Quotes

You sound scared.

I ain’t skeerd
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:20:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gamboolman] [#49]
Your Genset should be able to supply the camera power....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#50]
You want to "camp" and be secure? Join the Army, go infantry. You can set up 360 security in the woods and half of you can stay awake during the night providing security for the other half. It won't matter the season nor the temperature.

If you're solo backpacking you aren't going to want to carry the weight of trail cameras that you should be too tired at night to monitor or even set up.

If being in the woods scares you that much, stay home
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top