Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There was a made for TV movie too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqv5BWN4US8
View Quote
I haven’t seen it, but Sandford wasn’t pleased. Though that may be the typical reaction of authors whose novels are made into movies.

I will say that Mark Harmon would not have my choice to play Davenport.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dixon Hill
View Quote

My first thought, actually.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I read all of the Travis McGee books in my misspent yuthe.
About 10 years ago I read them again and found them...wanting.
McGee was far too distinctive looking, with too many affectations(Miss Agnes) and too flamboyant a lifestyle to have the necessary stealth to hunt who he hunted. He was criminally careless about practicing common sense awareness. And he had a silly aversion to carrying weapons.He paid for it too. He was routinely caught "lackin" and critically injured.
Add to that, he got several of his women killed.
Some of it was plot driven-which is simply an excuse for poor plotting.
Some of it was that MacDonald was a dilettante. He played on his wartime O.S.S. experience, but in truth he was Ordnance, attached to the O.S.S. in the C-B-I theater.
Alas for the heroes of youth.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Burke
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I haven’t seen it, but Sandford wasn’t pleased. Though that may be the typical reaction of authors whose novels are made into movies.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn’t great, wasn’t terrible. I actually liked Harmon as Davenport. Aging pretty boy ex jock wearing expensive suits.  I think he could have been good if the movie was done better.

As a fan of the books, you will likely be disappointed because it certainly doesn’t capture the essence of the world Sandford created.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Best Hard-boiled Detective?

If we’re including books, there is no contest: Lucas Davenport.

View Quote

Ding ding ding... we have a winner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#8]

This post nails it. Everyone else is weak.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sounds like I need to give those a look.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read The Long Lavender Look when I was  - I would guess - 22, and I was hooked.  I read them all, as fast as I find them.  I’m pretty sure I’ve read most of them two or three times.  John D. McDonald was far and away the best of the schlock crime novelists.

The Davenport books are an order of magnitude better.

Sounds like I need to give those a look.

If you like them, you’ll have reading material for a very long time. The guy is prolific. There are 32 books in the Lucas Davenport series, 12 in the Virgil Flowers series, 4 in the Kidd series, and a several other disassociated cats and dogs.  The Davenport character is grim, the Flowers one rather more quirky, and Kidd is just odd. The Davenport and Flowers series are loosely linked. Flowers works for Davenport, pursuing his own cases under Davenport’s loose - very loose - supervision.

So characters from both series occasionally show up in the other.  Also, the Davenport series began in ‘89 -  characters get older, get married, have children, get killed, retire, etc. For this reason, it’s best to read these two series in together in chronological order.

For several years, Sanford released a book from both series every year, but he’s recently begun doing a single book each year combining the two sets of characters.  Can’t blame him for reducing his workload - he’s damn near 80 and he can’t be worried about keeping a roof over his head or food on his table.

Anyway, I’ve really enjoyed his books over the last quarter century, and I hope you will too.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It wasn’t great, wasn’t terrible. I actually liked Harmon as Davenport. Aging pretty boy ex jock wearing expensive suits.  I think he could have been good if the movie was done better.

As a fan of the books, you will likely be disappointed because it certainly doesn’t capture the essence of the world Sandford created.
View Quote

I’m not looking for a fight or to prevail in an argument, and I like Harmon just fine as an actor. Further, you are spot on, in that both Harmon the actor and Davenport the character are both aging ex-jocks wearing good suits. The difference - and this is defining - Harmon is, as you say, a pretty boy and Davenport is assuredly not.  His appearance is striking rather than conventionally handsome and he has learned not to smile at strangers because it tends to scare them. He looks like what he is: an apex predator.  

Acting talent aside, Harmon was totally miscast in this role on visual appearance, alone. It was like casting me to play a former Miss America. No one would believe that shit.

ETA: I’ve idly wondered for years about who should have played the Davenport character.  It finally occurred to me: a forties Nick Nolte with makeup for slightly darker skin-tones, a full head of dark hair, two inch lifts, and a whole lot of coaching from Charles Bronson.

Or maybe Gary Oldman. That guy could convince me he was the Virgin Mary.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
PJ is correct.  And his adopted daughter Letty isn't far behind.
Mike Hammer runs neck and neck.  No fucks to give.
Sam Spade.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best Hard-boiled Detective?

If we're including books, there is no contest: Lucas Davenport.

PJ is correct.  And his adopted daughter Letty isn't far behind.
Mike Hammer runs neck and neck.  No fucks to give.
Sam Spade.

If we are going with Mike Hammer, at least post pics. I'd go with Sam Spade or Tequila.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Frank Burly
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eriq  Lasalle played Lucas in another prey movie. I used to read all the prey books. I fell off when Lucas changed jobs the second time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If we are going with Mike Hammer, at least post pics. I'd go with Sam Spade or Tequila.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d7/bc/f8/d7bcf81394fc75f1baf6b706bb4999f8.jpg
View Quote
Mickey Spillane himself as Mike Hammer in The Girl Hunters

And Darren McGavin as Mike Hammer in one of the tv series.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Pick up any Dashiell Hammett novel
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Bogart character in The Maltese Falcon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Humpty Dumpty Jr
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Dave Robicheaux.

View Quote

Cletus Purcel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Eriq  Lasalle played Lucas in another prey movie. I used to read all the prey books. I fell off when Lucas changed jobs the second time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your distress. I thought it off putting too. But Sandford had his tit caught in the wringer, a victim of his own success. The city fathers of Minneapolis/Saint Paul were going to run him out of town on a rail if he wrote one more novel about a serial killer in their cities.  Davenport needed a larger territory.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I understand your distress. I thought it off putting too. But Sandford had his tit caught in the wringer, a victim of his own success. The city fathers of Minneapolis/Saint Paul were going to run him out of town on a rail if he wrote one more novel about a serial killer in their cities.  Davenport needed a larger territory.
View Quote

I meant after he left the BCA and started working in politics.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Burke
View Quote
+1-great supporting characters like Max the Silent, Wesley, and the Prof.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bud White.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, sorry.  I remember he did a couple of odd jobs for the governor, but I think he’s with the US Marshalls Service now. I’ll confess, I have a fairly high tolerance for bullshit in the background structure as long as the characters, dialog, and action are are somewhat believable.

Have you read any of the Flowers series?  The Kidd novels are good too.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Nick Danger
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Sam Vimes, Ankh-Morpork city watch!

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Was duckman a detective? Or PI?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’m not looking for a fight or to prevail in an argument, and I like Harmon just fine as an actor. Further, you are spot on, in that both Harmon the actor and Davenport the character are both aging ex-jocks wearing good suits. The difference - and this is defining - Harmon is, as you say, a pretty boy and Davenport is assuredly not.  His appearance is striking rather than conventionally handsome and he has learned not to smile at strangers because it tends to scare them. He looks like what he is: an apex predator.  

Acting talent aside, Harmon was totally miscast in this role on visual appearance, alone. It was like casting me to play a former Miss America. No one would believe that shit.

ETA: I’ve idly wondered for years about who should have played the Davenport character.  It finally occurred to me: a forties Nick Nolte with makeup for slightly darker skin-tones, a full head of dark hair, two inch lifts, and a whole lot of coaching from Charles Bronson.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is always interesting to get others perspectives. Oldman could play any role so he could make it work.  

I never pictured Nolte as Davenport, his role in 48 Hours and his famous mugshot always makes me think of him as disheveled.  With the right wardrobe and grooming maybe he could pull it off.  It is an interesting thought.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh, sorry.  I remember he did a couple of odd jobs for the governor, but I think he’s with the US Marshalls Service now. I’ll confess, I have a fairly high tolerance for bullshit in the background structure as long as the characters, dialog, and action are are somewhat believable.

Have you read any of the Flowers series?  The Kidd novels are good too.

View Quote

I've read all the Kidd novels. Escape clause was the last Flowers novel I read, and Golden prey was the last davenport novel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#30]

I mean the movie is literally named Hard Boiled.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Jim Cirillo real life.
Dirty Harry Callahan, movies
Sledge Hammer, TV Comedy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I've always enjoyed the Nathan Heller books by Max Allan Collins.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Davenport is a thug with money and some brains.  Much like Spenser.  Hockey Player and Boxer respectively.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It’s just a question of before or after they got fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you a fan of the genre? Generally, "harboiled detective" characters aren’t cops, they’re PIs.

It’s just a question of before or after they got fired.

And they've all been offered pussy to do the job for free.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Davenport is a thug with money and some brains.  Much like Spenser.  Hockey Player and Boxer respectively.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jenkins and Shrake are the designated thugs. Davenport is a cut above.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t see either Davenport or Spenser as a thug, per se.

In the Davenport series, as another member has said, that role was ably filled by Jenkins and Shrake. Davenport was, and remains a hunter. In the Spenser novels and the television show Hawk claims the thug role for himself. Spenser is, like Travis McGee, a quixotic righter of wrongs, more often than not.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Det.Sgt Lt Franl Drebin
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Burke

And Pansy. Can’t forget Pansy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jim Cirillo real life.
View Quote

Cirillo was, like some of the fictional characters mentioned here, a hunter.  The difference being, he was mostly an ambush hunter.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Modern, but I liked it.

Writer has to be a member here.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ding ding ding... we have a winner.
View Quote

That Fuckin Flowers
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Without question.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I can't believe that I forgot to mention "Reckless" by Brubaker/Phillips. They really nail the feel of early '80s and explain the legwork of a pre-internet P.I.

The Criminal series is also excellent. Hollywood could do worse than adapting their work to film...
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Eddie Valiant

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Harry Angel

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Definatley NOT Queen-Size Latifa as the Equalizer!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Luther Gillis
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Harry, Dirty
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Cirillo was, like some of the fictional characters mentioned here, a hunter.  The difference being, he was mostly an ambush hunter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jim Cirillo real life.

And Cirillo was never a detective.
Patrol, Firearms Instructor, NYPD Stakeout, back to patrol when SOU was clipped for being "Racist Assassins".
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top