Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neapolitan
View Quote

I can’t believe it took all the way till here to get the correct answer.

All the others are garbage
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Any except that kind the hipsters swoon over where they burn the shit out of it with huge bubbles in the crust and put nothing on top but a couple basil leaves, then try to convince you it's "authentic".  Shit's poor people garbage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You know Grimaldi's is a chain that originated in Brooklyn, right?  

By the way, the correct Grimaldi's order is:  Pick your size, Traditional style, lots of cheese, medium cook.  Top as desired.
View Quote

Yes I know that

My buddy manages the one in Flagstaff, we eat there a couple times a month
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Chicago is a meat pie
St Louis from what I'm told is like a cracker with kethup
Detroit is good.
No idea what Austin style is.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There’s no ‘Detroit style’ either. That’s made up BS from a shit hole city.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
St Louis and Austin have pizza styles?

Hmmmph....

There’s no ‘Detroit style’ either. That’s made up BS from a shit hole city.

LOL, guess I’ll assume you’ve never been to Detroit. I’m in my 40s and Detroit Style pizza has been around since before I was born. It is indeed a unique style, all its own. If you’ve done any sort of traveling and tried pizza from different locales around the country, there’s no denying Detroit Style is very much a thing.  And while there are plenty of reasons to call Detroit a shit hole city, its food scene isn’t one of them. Quite possibly the most diverse outside of NYC and maybe Chicago. The only thing Missouri does better is BBQ.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:34:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any except that kind the hipsters swoon over where they burn the shit out of it with huge bubbles in the crust and put nothing on top but a couple basil leaves, then try to convince you it's "authentic".  Shit's poor people garbage.
View Quote

I love wood fired pizza but I still completely agree with you
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How the fuck do you have St. Louis, which has absolutely nothing to write home about, Austin and Detroit which don't even have pizzas that people in their own cities are aware of, and Chicago "pizza" casserole all on there but no New York, which is the One True Pizza?

OP is a bundle of sticks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the best style of pizza?

How the fuck do you have St. Louis, which has absolutely nothing to write home about, Austin and Detroit which don't even have pizzas that people in their own cities are aware of, and Chicago "pizza" casserole all on there but no New York, which is the One True Pizza?

OP is a bundle of sticks.

Ehhh your post is fine except for the Detroit thing. Michiganders know about Detroit style pie, and the rest of the US is waking up to it’s greatness.

New York style is still clearly the One True Pizza but Detroit style is making it’s way up the ranks.

I have no idea what St. Louis or Austin style pizzas are, though. I doubt there will ever be pizza joints outside those areas serving those “styles” unlike New York Thin, Chicago Casserole and Detroit styles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have no idea where OP got his choices.

They’re ridiculous.

NY/northern NJ is the apex of the pizza making art
Chicago tomato casserole sucks.
Detroit style is ok

Austin style is a bad joke. There is some excellent pizza here, but it’s all courtesy of transplants from NY/NJ.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I voted "thin, greasy garbage".
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
New York style. Big floppy slices with pepperoni BACON, Black Olives, Sausage and mushrooms.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/319933/20190226_175402-893081.jpg
View Quote

FIFY.

If you don't have dudes spinning/tossing the crust in the air, and everybody in the shop isn't yelling at each other in Italian, you aren't eating real pizza
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#11]
For those unfamiliar with St. Louis pizza, I refuse to call it St. Louis style because it has no style:

A thin, unleavened cracker crust, OK fine, not horrible, to each his own, at least baked hard enough to support the toppings, and Provel cheese.

I'm sorry, I meant Provel Pasteurized Process Cheddar Swiss and Provelone Cheese.  Except that ignores the emulsifiers, and the liquid smoke.  I am not making this up.

So three cheeses, Provelone I might use sparingly in shredded Mozz, but who puts Swiss on pizza?  Who puts liquid smoke on pizza?  Imo's, that's who.

To add insult to injury, Provel was specifically engineered to melt well, and not have those unsightly strands of cheese that you get from Mozzarella.  Unsightly?

Provel cheese is an abomination before God and Man, and I had to check the join dates of everyone defending it, to make sure they're not Thorazine's retread account.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For those unfamiliar with St. Louis pizza, I refuse to call it St. Louis style because it has no style:

A thin, unleavened cracker crust, OK fine, not horrible, to each his own, at least baked hard enough to support the toppings, and Provel cheese.

I'm sorry, I meant Provel Pasteurized Process Cheddar Swiss and Provelone Cheese.  Except that ignores the emulsifiers, and the liquid smoke.  I am not making this up.

So three cheeses, Provelone I might use sparingly in shredded Mozz, but who puts Swiss on pizza?  Who puts liquid smoke on pizza?  Imo's, that's who.

To add insult to injury, Provel was specifically engineered to melt well, and not have those unsightly strands of cheese that you get from Mozzarella.  Unsightly?

Provel cheese is an abomination before God and Man, and I had to check the join dates of everyone defending it, to make sure they're not Thorazine's retread account.
View Quote

I like provel, but am hesitant to call STL style “pizza” because of it. It seems like a different dish than normal pizza.

Generally, STL style pizza is okay, there are some mom and pop places that do it well. But Imo’s is what most folks think of as STL style, and that’s like saying Little Caesars is Detroit style. If all folks have tried are those brands, I can’t blame them for thinking those styles of pizza suck.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, thin crust with lots of cheese & meat
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
New York style. Big floppy slices with pepperoni and mushrooms.

View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Buffalo. La Nova.
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
New Haven
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#18]
This shit needs to stop now.

The thing Pizza Hut is calling “Detroit style” pizza with sauce on top is NOT Detroit style. That’s some Pizza Hut bullshit.

Detroit style is something like the original little Caesar’s.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#20]

don't hate!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't get calling deep dish a casserole, tomato pie, or lasagna.  Are you all retarded or just limp wristed men who can't handle lifting a thick slice to take a bite of anything thicker than a ritz with cheese whiz on top?  That's not even the real Chicago pizza, though, but most people don't realize that.  Either way I'd take deep dish over any shit cracker crust pizza from boring St Louis, floppy NY garbage, or literally anywhere in the south or West Coast.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#22]

mmmmm

We have a bread maker but except for once or twice, all we've ever used it for is making doe for pizza.  As an excuse to use left-over bacon, we made one last night.  We don't have a handle on thick crust yet, but we have the thin crust down-pat.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:23:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

not Texas, Austin is. those arent the same thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Austin style pizza?

Lemme guess.  Texas is now claiming they invented pizza too and their pizza is better than everyone else's.

not Texas, Austin is. those arent the same thing.

*eyeroll* nobody has made any such claim, and as far as money can tell every Texan in this thread (including those from Austin) think it’s ‘tarded.

The snotty little brother flex got old a long time ago.  Time to grow up and move on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't get calling deep dish a casserole, tomato pie, or lasagna.  Are you all retarded or just limp wristed men who can't handle lifting a thick slice to take a bite of anything thicker than a ritz with cheese whiz on top?  That's not even the real Chicago pizza, though, but most people don't realize that.  Either way I'd take deep dish over any shit cracker crust pizza from boring St Louis, floppy NY garbage, or literally anywhere in the south or West Coast.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I heard it once said that pizza is like sex. Even when it’s bad, it’s still kinda good.

Except for Costco pizza. Tastes great, but so greasy it turned the contents of my intestines to something resembling used motor oil for 2 days. Never again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Buffalo. La Nova.
View Quote

Buffalo Pizza is correct.  La Nova is good stuff, mafia owned (or it used to be).

I'll take any pizza/wings combo made in the southside.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This shit needs to stop now.

The thing Pizza Hut is calling “Detroit style” pizza with sauce on top is NOT Detroit style. That’s some Pizza Hut bullshit.

Detroit style is something like the original little Caesar’s.
View Quote

Wrong. Fail. Incorrect. bzzzt.

Detroit Style is Buddy’s. Jet’s does a solid rendition, I haven’t tried Pizza Slut’s but it looks similar enough.

Little Caesars is actually doing a real Detroit style now - they just call it “Deep Deep Dish” pizza.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Calling it a tomato pie or tomato casserole is applicable, because that’s what it is.

You like it? You can have it all.

I’m a big hater of NY, but they own pizza.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A pizza poll without New York style?

Poll fail.

Pizza is the only thing NY mostly gets right.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, Texas is known for a lot of food but pizza ain't part of it. The closest thing we have to unique pizza that I am aware of is Campisi's in Dallas.

I like Campisi's and use to eat it a lot when I lived there but it ain't spectacular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wtf is austin style pizza?
we aint got no great pizza here

Yeah, Texas is known for a lot of food but pizza ain't part of it. The closest thing we have to unique pizza that I am aware of is Campisi's in Dallas.

I like Campisi's and use to eat it a lot when I lived there but it ain't spectacular.

Campisi's is not good.

Grimaldi's is decent, but it's a NYC import.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Floppy is sloppy. Chicago deep dish is a meal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75325/20210914_192340-2109787.jpg

Now you're talkin'!
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This guy knows.
View All Quotes

Detroit style is indeed a thing.  And it's growing in popularity around the country.  I even saw a frozen Detroit style pizza in a Costco down here.

Buddy's

Cloverleaf

Green Lantern

Jet's in a pinch

I have the pan, I have the dough.  I have the sauce.

If I could find the Wisconsin brick cheese here in the wilderness, I'd be feasting on my own.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
All of the pizzas.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Detroit style is indeed a thing.  And it's growing in popularity around the country.  I even saw a frozen Detroit style pizza in a Costco down here.

Buddy's

Cloverleaf

Green Lantern

Jet's in a pinch

If I could find the Wisconsin brick cheese here in the wilderness, I'd be feasting on my own.
View Quote

50-50 blend of mozzarella and jack cheese is what I use.   It is the closest you are going to make if you cant get the real thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Hard to beat a properly made thin crust margherita pizza
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Buddy's

Cloverleaf

Green Lantern

Jet's in a pinch

View Quote

Listen to this man.  He knows.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#43]
DIY anywhere anytime…

How to Make Crispy, Chewy Detroit-Style Pizza

Tested and approved. It’s legit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#44]
The thinnest crispiest crust available with a shitload of meat on it. I cant stand thick doughy crust.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What is the best style of pizza?
View Quote
Complete list of trash pizza.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Such negativity. Bossk556 is here to unite the GD.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Pizza from Italy destroys anything American made. It isn’t even close.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Asian Pizza
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
wtf is austin style pizza?
we aint got no great pizza here
View Quote

Mediocre pizza served by a lesbian with a septum piercing and multi colored hair.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top