Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Chinese shit.. living off a name!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's up to you to decide, but I can tell you that I've got several Snap On ratchets in my box that I've owned for damn near 30 years and they still work like the day I bought them.  And I turn wrenches for a living.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have and use Matco, SnapOn, and Icon ratchets every day.  Ignoring cost, the SnapOn is the best - they’re smoother and have a tighter swivel.  That said, the Icon isn’t bad at all for the cost.  Don’t know that they’ll be as durable as the SnapOn or Matco, but they’re a hell of a lot cheaper and the warranty process, if needed, is damn easy.    

I’ve bought a few of the large (19-24mm) Icon wrench sets for use in the shop and they’ve had the shit beat out of them.  They’ve held up as well as anything else would.

The only major difference that has me looking at the Snap on is the longer length.

I've gotten 3 years out of the Icon. It still feels good. I am just looking at my options because they don't last forever.

Is the Snap on 5 times better?

That's up to you to decide, but I can tell you that I've got several Snap On ratchets in my box that I've owned for damn near 30 years and they still work like the day I bought them.  And I turn wrenches for a living.  

I have some Snap On ratchets that I bought 25 years ago that are still like new as well. My 3/8 flex head has broken on me twice but I kind of expect that using it every day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Are the swivel head that handy??
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Gearwrench  3/8" Drive 72-Tooth Dual Material Roto Ratchet 9-3/4"

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are considerably handy in the type of work I deal with. I deal with adjustment nuts and bolts "exposed" on both sides of the machine, but I deal with obstructions that make almost every adjustment a unique problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They are considerably handy in the type of work I deal with. I deal with adjustment nuts and bolts "exposed" on both sides of the machine, but I deal with obstructions that make almost every adjustment a unique problem.
View Quote

I've looked at them at HF. May have to pick one up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I just tore down my Icon swivel head. It had plenty of grease but it was hardened and dirty.

I cleaned it and there is very little wear anywhere. Zero damage.

I brushed some grease into the teeth and the pawl and behind/under the pawl. If this continues and I don't finally break it, this ratchet might last a very long time.

It's soooooo smooth... the back drag is smoother now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#8]
people still run swivel heads? what is this the 1970s? flex head all day every dayAttachment Attached File

eta: not my image, I'm too lazy to go to my garage and get mine
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Snap On all the things

Especially ratchets
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
people still run swivel heads? what is this the 1970s? flex head all day every dayhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/521565/s-l1600_jpg-2564088.JPG

View Quote

Clearance is a big issue in my work. With the pivot right at the sides of the ratchet it's easier to clear obstacles on the fly.

Used a nice Gear Wrench flex head for several years until i broke it. This swivel head was a temporary replacement but I liked it better.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
people still run swivel heads? what is this the 1970s? flex head all day every dayhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/521565/s-l1600_jpg-2564088.JPG

View Quote

Pretty sure swivels are stronger, and head doesnt flop over when you are trying to push/hold it on a fastener.
Some of the flex do have a detent to help this, but most dont. I had a Matco with the detent that was my go to for years.
Now I use one like the OP shows everyday. Only downside is they are a lil bulkier due to the design.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I do not use my swivel head ratchet all that much - only when doing spark plugs. I like the flex heads better.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just tore down my Icon swivel head. It had plenty of grease but it was hardened and dirty.

I brushed some grease into the teeth and the pawl and behind/under the pawl. If this continues and I don't finally break it, this ratchet might last a very long time.

View Quote

Something I've always found odd is that Snap On insists you lubricate the mechanism of their ratchets with a couple drops of ATF and not grease.  I've never gotten a straight answer as to why, but they're adamant that you not use grease.  Might be because of the hardening issue like you experienced.  I dunno...
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Something I've always found odd is that Snap On insists you lubricate the mechanism of their ratchets with a couple drops of ATF and not grease.  I've never gotten a straight answer as to why, but they're adamant that you not use grease.  Might be because of the hardening issue like you experienced.  I dunno...
View Quote

If you use grease you can make the mechanism stick. The head will just freewheel instead of ratchet.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Snapon guy refused to do anything about my broken ratchets, now snapon isn't selling anything to a fleet diesel shop with 5 mechanics.
Because he isn't allowed in, 3 other tool trucks are.
View Quote

Had a mac dealer refuse to repair an old ratchet, said they don't make the replacement parts any more, said he'd give me a new ratchet at a lower cost, told him to pound sand, I stopped a different mac dealer and he just gave me a new one. I found the ratchet in a field. My most used is a matco ergo handle, and a stubby fine tooth, I use my matco 1\4 swivel head a lot also.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use mine 99% of the time, I can't even remember the last time I used a non flex head.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked some 0W-40 synthetic into my Facom bit ratchet without taking it apart.

I'm not worried about hard grease. It worked fine. It's definitely better lubed now. So amooth!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I do not use my flex head ratchet all that much - only when doing spark plugs. I like the flex heads better.
View Quote

I'm confused.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm confused.
View Quote

Sorry, I fixed it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty sure swivels are stronger, and head doesnt flop over when you are trying to push/hold it on a fastener.
Some of the flex do have a detent to help this, but most dont. I had a Matco with the detent that was my go to for years.
Now I use one like the OP shows everyday. Only downside is they are a lil bulkier due to the design.
View Quote

Locking flex heads my dude, I guess different strokes for different folks. I rarely use hand tools even when I wrenched professionally. I love my snap on long neck electric ratchets.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I liked my Pittsburgh Pro long handle 3/8 till I tore it up the other day. It still ratchets fine but the head is all loosey goosey. It lasted about 3 years but I was hard on it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I liked my Pittsburgh Pro long handle 3/8 till I tore it up the other day. It still ratchets fine but the head is all loosey goosey. It lasted about 3 years but I was hard on it.
View Quote
warranty dat bish.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
warranty dat bish.
View Quote

I will but my HF hasn't had that model ratchet in a while.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
warranty dat bish.

Will they replace with a similar model?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I can’t believe the Carlyle flex heads haven’t been mentioned here. I own one in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. I use them all the time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can’t believe the Carlyle flex heads haven’t been mentioned here. I own one in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. I use them all the time.
View Quote

Taiwan? Probably pretty decent.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I broke one of those earlier this summer and took a few weeks before they got one in stock to replace it.
I like the longer handle, but def need to be a lil careful with these.

The pin broke and let the ears on the handle spread, but the head itself was just fine.
They let me keep the entire head for spare parts, and makes a decent little thumb ratchet for tight spaces.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If I used one enough to justify more confidence in the quality - I'm willing to pay for quality.

But for my occasional wrench turning usage - I'd go for the HF.  If you break it and can't fix it, then you're not out much $.  
View Quote

If you break it you can go get another one same day. No waiting on a tool truck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you break it you can go get another one same day. No waiting on a tool truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I used one enough to justify more confidence in the quality - I'm willing to pay for quality.

But for my occasional wrench turning usage - I'd go for the HF.  If you break it and can't fix it, then you're not out much $.  

There are HF stores everywhere now. I'll be in Northern Indiana this week and I know of two in the Elkhart area. I saw one in my travels near Portland last week. They are pretty common.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I originally bought this Icon swivel head ratchet to temporarily replace a broken flex head Gear Wrench.

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-professional-swivel-head-ratchet-with-comfort-grip-64698.html

It's been really awesome. I can't help it. I use it daily and it has held up to a lot of abuse with sockets up to 24mm. It's comfortable to use and nice low back drag. For my job the swivel is easily better than the flex head.

Who makes a better one?

The Snap on is $200. That is a bit hard to swallow when the $40 Icon has been so impressive. The extra long one is nice.

I'd love personal experience with these swivel ratchets. I'd like to buy a replacement before this one dies.

Higher tooth counts are desirable.
View Quote
Years ago I bought a Snap-On swivel head ratchet and it was $35, it had the coarse teeth count, I forget the teeth count. Actually the older Sears Craftsmen swivel head wasn't bad for the money, but then again, it had the coarse teeth count.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Best Ratchet? ICON vs Snap On, GearWrench, SK Tools, Mac Tools, Wera, Zero Degree, Milwaukee, Kobalt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kay3z8qSEok&t=901s
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The only major difference that has me looking at the Snap on is the longer length.

I've gotten 3 years out of the Icon. It still feels good. I am just looking at my options because they don't last forever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have and use Matco, SnapOn, and Icon ratchets every day.  Ignoring cost, the SnapOn is the best - they’re smoother and have a tighter swivel.  That said, the Icon isn’t bad at all for the cost.  Don’t know that they’ll be as durable as the SnapOn or Matco, but they’re a hell of a lot cheaper and the warranty process, if needed, is damn easy.    

I’ve bought a few of the large (19-24mm) Icon wrench sets for use in the shop and they’ve had the shit beat out of them.  They’ve held up as well as anything else would.

I’d buy two spares and call it a day. 5x better, probably not.  If HF can identify it as their tool, they usually will replace it at the store.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Best Ratchet? ICON vs Snap On, GearWrench, SK Tools, Mac Tools, Wera, Zero Degree, Milwaukee, Kobalt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kay3z8qSEok&t=901s
View Quote

Best swivel head ratchet.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Wera of Amazon. I’ve been buying lots of Wera stuff lately and been very satisfied with it. Made is Czech Republic is better then settle for China crap.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wera of Amazon. I’ve been buying lots of Wera stuff lately and been very satisfied with it. Made is Czech Republic is better then settle for China crap.
View Quote

They make a very nice swivel head but its just too small. I own one.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#36]
This was mentioned earlier in the thread.

This is the first one i found near 12" like the snap off.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CHTR38S100
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would buy this Snap-on ratchet off ebay for $75 before dropping $100 on something at NAPA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I would buy this Snap-on ratchet off ebay for $75 before dropping $100 on something at NAPA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad link. I'm not buying a used ratchet. Nothing less than 90 tooth.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Keep the Icon. You're not going to gain enough by spending $200 on the snap on to be worth it.

I've got a couple harbor freight and an SK swivel ratchet.

You could look at Carlyle. Their long 3/8 locking flex ratchet is my absolute favorite and go to. They also offer swivels.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why? Carlyle tools are excellent quality. Or just keep talking bad about something you've never used, I guess that's an option too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Why? Carlyle tools are excellent quality. Or just keep talking bad about something you've never used, I guess that's an option too.
View Quote

I would definitely want to spend $25 more on the China/Taiwan made tool than a Snap-on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I would definitely want to spend $25 more on the China/Taiwan made tool than a Snap-on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about you post a working link so we can see the ratchet you're talking about?

If it's the used up piece of shit with a torn up handle I'm prepared to laugh at you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ask me how I know you aren’t in the trades. Try tracking down a snap on dealer that will warranty a tool you didn’t buy from them. Keep doing you, Massachusetts.

ETA- I bought my Carlyle tools on sale with the NAPA monthly deals. All of the ratchets I bought were 30% off of retail.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:19:21 AM EDT
[#44]
If you truly want the best-  https://neprostools.com/collections/ratchet-1

They truly care about quality.  The gentleman even emailed me personally, to ask how the tool he built was holding up and if I thought it could be made better.  

Super QC, very small heads to fit tight places, fine tooth, easily cleaned or replaced parts…
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you truly want the best-  https://neprostools.com/collections/ratchet-1

They truly care about quality.  The gentleman even emailed me personally, to ask how the tool he built was holding up and if I thought it could be made better.  

Super QC, very small heads to fit tight places, fine tooth, easily cleaned or replaced parts…
View Quote

Nepros makes some very nice stuff. I have a universal from them. They don't make a swivel head ratchet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How about you post a working link so we can see the ratchet you're talking about?
View Quote

Does it work now? I did not have any problems with it.

Quoted:
If it's the used up piece of shit with a torn up handle I'm prepared to laugh at you.
View Quote

It a used ratchet with a beat up rubber handle. The plastic switch is scratched up too. IDGAF about any of that. Snap-on will warranty it. I buy tools to use them so they get beat up. I guess if you buy shit to beat off over a tool with actual use would not cut it.

Quoted:
Ask me how I know you aren’t in the trades. Try tracking down a snap on dealer that will warranty a tool you didn’t buy from them. Keep doing you, Massachusetts.

ETA- I bought my Carlyle tools on sale with the NAPA monthly deals. All of the ratchets I bought were 30% off of retail.
View Quote

I was mechanic for 20 years. I worked everything except planes and trains. I hurt my back really bad and had to stop. I still worked on stuff after that, mostly racing stuff for friends of mine. I still work on my own car.

I have not had any problem "tracking" down a dealer to get my stuff warrantied. First off, I buy Snap-on so I am not warrantying a lot of stuff.

My dealer retired. He gave me his replacements number. I call him up and ask him when he will be in my area and meet him at one of his stops.

I had broken stuff in my car. I stopped at Dunks and saw a Snap-on truck in the parking lot. I went to the truck with the tools and the guy swapped them out for me.

If you cannot get it taken care of just give it to your husband. I am sure he will have no problems getting stuff warrantied.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It a used ratchet with a beat up rubber handle. The plastic switch is scratched up too. IDGAF about any of that. Snap-on will warranty it. I buy tools to use them so they get beat up. I guess if you buy shit to beat off over a tool with actual use would not cut it.

I was mechanic for 20 years. I worked everything except planes and trains. I hurt my back really bad and had to stop. I still worked on stuff after that, mostly racing stuff for friends of mine. I still work on my own car.

I have not had any problem "tracking" down a dealer to get my stuff warrantied. First off, I buy Snap-on so I am not warrantying a lot of stuff.

My dealer retired. He gave me his replacements number. I call him up and ask him when he will be in my area and meet him at one of his stops.

I had broken stuff in my car. I stopped at Dunks and saw a Snap-on truck in the parking lot. I went to the truck with the tools and the guy swapped them out for me.

If you cannot get it taken care of just give it to your husband. I am sure he will have no problems getting stuff warrantied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not buying a ratchet to warranty it. That's idiotic. I live in the sticks and I don't see tool trucks day to day or in my travels around the country.

I can stop by a Harbor Freight or Napa anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not buying a ratchet to warranty it. That's idiotic. I live in the sticks and I don't see tool trucks day to day or in my travels around the country.

View Quote

And I am not going to pay $100 for a tool made in China or Taiwan when there is a better American made option available.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lmao. You are a commie loving cuck who resides in Massachusetts. I guarantee you don’t know what end of the screwdriver to hold.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And I am not going to pay $100 for a tool made in China or Taiwan when there is a better American made option available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is that you cannot demonstrate the "better" part. I cannot predict if it will be in working condition when I receive it but I can feel and see the Carlyle or Icon.

Taiwan isn't China. They often make really top notch stuff.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top