User Panel

Page / 54
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I believe you to be absolutely correct. The only question is will the CCP dispatch suitcases or envelopes or go hardcore on them suggesting they need more Chinese paramilitary police and those guys are already on the way. Should be interesting.

SYDNEY, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Fijian President Ratu Wiliame Katonivere called for "respect for our region" and a stop to missile tests in the Pacific Ocean, after China launched an intercontinental ballistic missile.

In a speech to the United Nations General Assembly in New York on Thursday, Katonivere recalled the Pacific Ocean's history as a nuclear weapons testing ground, and noted Wednesday's rare launch by China of an intercontinental ballistic missile.

"There was a unilateral test firing of a ballistic missile into the Pacific Ocean. We urge respect for our region and call for cessation of such action," he said.
Oh, almost forgot!!! This has been a charge the PRC has leveled at the US numerous times!!

In French Polynesia, media reported the missile landed near to the French Pacific territory's exclusive economic zone, with President Moetai Brotherson expressing surprise and concern.

Brotherson sent a protest letter to the Chinese Embassy after learning of the missile launch in the media, Radio Tahiti reported.

France's High Commissioner, Eric Spitz, said China had notified France about the test, and the missile fell in international waters, Radio Tahiti reported.
We were promised a statement from the French Government. I haven't seen it yet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 12:27:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Got follow ups of the KMT politician who skidaddled when the Police came for him, and I'll link some other stories of how the investigation is growing by leaps and bounds.

Now from the outside, there are two ways to look at this whole event of KMT corruption. One is just the simple "that's where the corruption is" while the second way is the political party in power is going after a rival party.

HOWEVER, in any event, and most importantly, the PRC sees it this way: their "natural" partner (sometimes they do have short memories) is being systematically arrested on corruption charges.

The CCP sees the DDP doing in Taiwan what the CCP does in the PRC. It's that simple. I should delete what I wrote above, but it's a reminder to me not to be cute. This is one of the reasons why the rhetoric and military actions around Taiwan have increased.

Taiwan councilor pledges to return and face corruption probe
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Kaohsiung City Councilor Huang Shao-ting (   ) assured the public on Friday (Sept. 27) that he did not leave Taiwan to avoid a corruption investigation, and said the allegations against him are false.
View Quote
See!! I told you he left to start his own investigation who the real criminals are!!!

"Shao-ting proactively contacted investigators at the earliest possible time after landing to inform them of my whereabouts, and my intentions," Huang said, referring to himself in the third person.

Huang also stated the Line group of the Kuomintang's Kaohsiung branch that said his Thursday travel was prearranged. He said that plans have been made for his return, which will happen after his business abroad is complete.

Earlier on Friday, prosecutors said that they knew Huang had traveled to Xiamen, but were unaware of his location.
View Quote

Here's two more links to stories for those interested:
Taiwan launches new round of questioning in Core Pacific corruption case
Two more detained in Taiwan's Core Pacific corruption case

Back to the original story:
Prosecutors brought 17 people in for questioning after their Thursday searches, and have released six on bail at amounts of between NT$30,000 (US$952) and NT$200,000. The director of Huang's service office was detained by prosecutors, and others, including Huang's parents, have been ordered to return for further questioning.
View Quote
This is way bigger than Mayor Adams flying business class to Turkey, but then he crossed the line!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 12:46:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#5]
So far, no nice flight tracker from the Taiwan News, so here's the MND release from earlier in the day:
2024/09/28 PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan
1.Date
6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Friday to Saturday, Sep. 27-28

2.PLA activities
15 PLA aircraft and 7 PLAN vessels operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today. 10 of the aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and entered Taiwan's southwestern and southeastern ADIZ. ROC Armed Forces have monitored the situation and employed CAP aircraft, Navy vessels, and coastal missile systems in response to the detected activities.
View Quote
If Taiwan News posts one when I wake up tomorrow, I'll ETA it.
!Buenos Noches a todo!

PS I forgot to link a story posted by Chokey today for those that didn't see it
DoJ Notified of Suspected Faulty Welds on Subs, Aircraft Carriers at Newport News Shipbuilding

Here's my ETA:
Taiwan tracks 15 Chinese military aircraft and 7 naval vessels
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense tracked 15 Chinese military aircraft and seven naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Friday (Sept. 27) and the same time Saturday.

Ten of the Chinese aircraft crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the country's southwestern and southeastern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the defense ministry.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked 422 Chinese military aircraft and 213 ships.
View Quote
I look at these pictographs and think "mahjong tiles!" Which ones match???? My former in-laws taught me to play.

More thoughts on deciphering what we're looking at:
Areas like 1 and 4 are more than likely orbiting aircraft doing radar picket duty or an anti-sub mission or reconnaissance or assiting in "command and control" through assisting communication in one way or another. The number of hours seem to always be a minimum of 3 hours. Can't be PLAAF fighters. They don't carry that kind of fuel load. That leaves helicopters with bladders and the larger aircraft to carry out such mission profiles.

The rectangular areas seem to be the most active with the highest number of aircraft and have 3 to 23 hours of having aircraft in and out of them. These are the areas where the PLAAF aircraft are being staged off of Taiwan.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 12:58:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GoldenMead] [#6]

The #PLA Southern Theater Command on Saturday organized naval and air forces to conduct routine reconnaissance, early warning, and sea-air patrol exercises near the waters surrounding China's #HuangyanIsland. Certain individual external countries are stirring up trouble in the #SouthChinaSea, creating instability in the region. China has indisputable sovereignty over #HuangyanIsland and its surrounding waters. The theater's troops remain on high alert, resolutely defending national sovereign security and maritime rights, and are committed to maintaining peace and stability in the South China Sea, PLA Southern Theater Command said in a statement

The Chinese crack me up. The need to take propaganda lessons from the Kim family.  Anyways I’m sure their people are eating it up and they are telegraphing their moves for those of us who are watching.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Another weapons delivery happened:
Harpoon land-based anti-ship missile systems arrive in Taiwan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The first of 100 land-based Harpoon anti-ship missile systems ordered from the United States have arrived in Kaohsiung, reports said Saturday (Sept. 28).

The first delivery occurred Friday (Sept. 27), with the equipment being unloaded at Kaohsiung Port, per the Liberty Times. There was no immediate word on which part of the missile systems had arrived.

The US approved the sale of 400 RTM-84L-4 Harpoon Block II missiles, four RTM-84L-4 Harpoon Block II maneuver missiles, 100 launcher transporter units, and 25 radar trucks in 2020. The first phase of deliveries, to be completed in 2026, included 128 missiles, with the second and final phase expected by the end of 2028.
View Quote

The Ministry of National Defense had budgeted the full package at NT$71.02 billion (US$2.24 billion), but an extra NT$15 billion needed to be spent on building the bases to house the missiles.

A new Coastal Defense Command is scheduled to launch in 2026 to manage six bases hosting the shore-mounted anti-ship Harpoons and Taiwan-made Hsiung Feng missiles.
View Quote
This particular contract started in 2020!!! They don't give a number of how many were delivered which is probably a great decision because it's a really small number.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:

The #PLA Southern Theater Command on Saturday organized naval and air forces to conduct routine reconnaissance, early warning, and sea-air patrol exercises near the waters surrounding China's #HuangyanIsland. Certain individual external countries are stirring up trouble in the #SouthChinaSea, creating instability in the region. China has indisputable sovereignty over #HuangyanIsland and its surrounding waters. The theater's troops remain on high alert, resolutely defending national sovereign security and maritime rights, and are committed to maintaining peace and stability in the South China Sea, PLA Southern Theater Command said in a statement

The Chinese crack me up. The need to take propaganda lessons from the Kim family.  Anyways I'm sure their people are eating it up and they are telegraphing their moves for those of us who are watching.
View Quote
I had to look up which "island" this was. Nobody knows the Chinese names except for the Chinese.

This is the former Scarborough Shoal which is a man-made Island. It was just a handful of years ago that the PRC/CCP was claiming that they were not militarizing the "island reclaimation" projects. Now, they're proud to say these same "islands" can now defend themselves.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By zoinks:
Another weapons delivery happened:
Harpoon land-based anti-ship missile systems arrive in Taiwan

This particular contract started in 2020!!! They don't give a number of how many were delivered which is probably a great decision because it's a really small number.
View Quote

80% of the $20 billion in weapons Taiwan is waiting for were paid for when Trump was President
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I had to look up which "island" this was. Nobody knows the Chinese names except for the Chinese.

This is the former Scarborough Shoal which is a man-made Island. It was just a handful of years ago that the PRC/CCP was claiming that they were not militarizing the "island reclaimation" projects. Now, they're proud to say these same "islands" can now defend themselves.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2024 11:59:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#11]
View All Quotes
This one was a real cliff-hanger. I don't understand the politics of why this was not done easily. $7 Billion over 20 years is quite the bargain as far as Federal programs go.

US Congress finalizes security pact with Pacific Island allies
Washington  

Buried in the hundreds of pages of the continuing resolution passed Wednesday by U.S. lawmakers to prevent a government shutdown are Washington's final steps to implement a 20-year security pact with Pacific Island allies, cementing a U.S. commitment to the region in the face of an increasingly assertive China.

The Compacts of Free Association, or COFA, provide economic support for Palau, the Marshall Islands and the Federated States of Micronesia. In exchange, the nations will allow the U.S. military exclusive access to their land, water and airspace and the right to deny Beijing access to their ports and expansive territorial waters.

But six months after the compacts were passed, extending $7 billion in economic aid over 20 years to the three Pacific Island nations, key provisions still languished. Palau's access to postal service, aviation security, national weather service and federal banking insurance was set to run out on September 30. The temporary spending package finalized Wednesday contained an extension of those services, Representative Ed Case, a Democrat, said in a statement to VOA.
The part I don't get is that these professional politicians that people elect fully understand the importance of "credibility." Yet, when it comes to the "credibility" of the US, it's nothing more than a bargaining chip. Romania '89 happened.

ETA: needed to fix glaring spelling errors that make me look stupid.
Link Posted: 9/28/2024 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
We've found a number of such people in the stories posted here over the last couple of years!
Shannon Van Sant, an adviser to the Committee for Freedom in Hong Kong Foundation, tracked a network of dozens of sites that posed as news organizations. One site mimicked The New York Times, using a similar font and design in what she called an attempt at legitimacy. The site carried strongly pro-Chinese messages.

When Van Sant researched the site's reporters she found no information. Their names didn't belong to any known journalists working in China, and their photos bore telltale signs of being created with AI.

"Manipulation of the media is ultimately a manipulation of readers and the audience, and this is damaging to democracy and society," Van Sant said.

Liu Pengyu, spokesman for the Chinese Embassy in the U.S., said allegations that China uses news websites and social media to spread pro-Beijing information and influence public opinion in the U.S. "are full of malicious speculations against China, which China firmly opposes."

In addition to its state media, Beijing has turned to foreign players   real or not   to relay messages and lend credibility to narratives favoring the Communist Party, said Xiao Qiang, a research scientist at the School of Information at the University of California, Berkeley. Xiao also is editor-in-chief of China Digital Times, a bilingual news website that aggregates information from and about China.
etc., etc.

Here's a response to the same type of thing in a lot of the news stories we cover about developments in Taiwan weapon systems, and the very polite responses in the Taiwan News:
Taiwan's NCSIST denies reports it plans to halt drone production

This is around the 5th time this year denials of rumors were published:
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan's National Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology (NCSIST) shut down recent reports claiming it would cease drone production.

In a press release on Saturday (Sept. 28), NCSIST said the rumors were "unfounded" and "false information." The institute said it would continue advancing plans for Taiwan's drone industry and pointed out its construction of the Aerospace Park in Minxiong, Chiayi.

The false reports come as Taiwan and the US seek deeper collaboration in drone production. A delegation of 26 US drone company executives arrived in Taipei on Sunday (Sept. 22) to discuss with Taiwanese representatives ways to help US companies find non-Chinese suppliers and manufacturing partners.
and the reason for the rumors is...:
Last week, a "drone alliance" of more than 50 companies held its inaugural meeting. The alliance was established by Taiwan's Aerospace Industrial Development Corporation to bolster international cooperation.
Putting 2 and 2 together, we have a Taiwanese initiated conference about military grade drones. What better way to discourage outside participation than say the conference organizer isn't going to be making drones.
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 1:56:10 AM EDT
[#14]
No cool flight tracker tonight. We'll repeat tomorrow morning:
2024/09/29 PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan
1.Date
6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Saturday to Sunday, Sep. 28-29

2.PLA activities
8 PLA aircraft and 7 PLAN vessels operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today. 6 of the aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and entered Taiwan's northern and western ADIZ. ROC Armed Forces have monitored the situation and employed CAP aircraft, Navy vessels, and coastal missile systems in response to the detected activities.
View Quote

This is a cool story for me and brings back fond memories:
Former US diplomat says Taiwan troops training in Michigan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   A retired United States diplomat says troops from Taiwan are receiving military training at a National Guard base in the state of Michigan, reports said Saturday (Sept. 28).

Joseph Cella, a former ambassador to Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Tonga and Tuvalu, made the claim during a congressional hearing on September 24, the Liberty Times reported. The facility in Michigan where the Taiwanese troops were reportedly training was the National All-Domain Warfighting Center at Camp Grayling.

While a National Guard facility, the site also provided training to Army, Navy, Air Force, and Space Force officers, as well as to troops from allied nations.

In past years, Taiwan's 333 Mechanized Infantry Brigade reportedly took part in the Northern Strike summer maneuvers in Michigan, while the 542 Armored Brigade received training in Hawaii. However, Cella did not provide any dates or details of the alleged Taiwanese military presence at Camp Grayling.
View Quote
I was stationed at Wurtsmith AFB a bit South of there. Camp Grayling is where we used to do our quarterly Ground Combat training. It's the Polish part of Michigan!! I swear to you, Gentlemen, that the best Kielbasa in the World used to, and may still, comes from here!!

During the congressional hearing, the retired diplomat also issued a warning against China's actions, both in the U.S. and overseas. He criticized investment by a Chinese just 70 miles (112 kilometers) from Camp Grayling, and Beijing's aggressive campaign to persuade Taiwan's diplomatic allies in the Pacific to switch sides.
View Quote
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Again, while stationed at Wurtsmith (my first PCS) we would see pick up trucks with campers on them and antennae array on the campers. Same when I was at Nellis AFB years later, and the same at most of the Conus bases I'd TDY to. The Chinese just buy the land and set up receivers. I know. Pretty damn lazy. Put in the effort!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Since then, the Biden-Harris Admin by withdrawing American crude from the World's supply have driven up the price of crude. The Russian Rubble is in better shape now than before the War. When the Russians invaded, I believe the Ruble was about 81 to $1. At today's close, it is 92.25 to $1. In the last year, the Ruble was never lower than 85 to $1.

View Quote

One minor correction. If they need to spend more rubles to buy a dollar then that means the ruble is weaker. So the ruble is not in better shape than before the war.

But thanks for maintaining the thread. Know that a bunch of us are reading even though we don't post much.
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CapedCrusader:

One minor correction. If they need to spend more rubles to buy a dollar then that means the ruble is weaker. So the ruble is not in better shape than before the war.

But thanks for maintaining the thread. Know that a bunch of us are reading even though we don't post much.
View Quote
You know what? You're right!!!

Thanks for the correction!!!

I'm going to copy/paste your post into my earlier one, and Thank You very much for taking the time to correct me!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#17]
al-jazeera an on China-Russia naval drills in the Pacific:
Japan to Alaska: What's behind Russia-China joint military drills?
(on this page, there's also a 2:40 video on the attack on the Kursk area for those interested.)

The posted subtitle:
Russia and China have ramped up their joint drills since the outbreak of the war in Ukraine.
View Quote
The article provides a good rundown on what's been going on since 2003. Here's the list of territorial disputes as reported:
Japan has territorial disputes with Russia and China. China claims the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea, while Japan insists the islands do not belong to any state. With Moscow, Tokyo has disputes over the Kuril Islands between Hokkaido and Kamchatka.
View Quote
This is the history of naval drills section:
Russia-China military drills   a brief history

While the two countries have ramped up such exercises in recent years, joint drills date back to 2003, when a multilateral exercise took place in Kazakhstan and China.

For this, Russia and China partnered with Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. Similar multilateral exercises were conducted with these partner countries until the late 2010s in locations including China, Russia and the partner countries.

In 2013, China and Russia conducted a bilateral naval exercise in the Sea of Japan. In 2019, they conducted a multilateral naval exercise on the South African coast in partnership with South Africa.

Some 78 drills took place between 2003 and 2021, according to data compiled by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), a Washington, DC-based think tank.

As of August 2024, CSIS had recorded 102 joint military drills. More drills have taken place since then.

Between 2022 and 2024, more than 20 drills have been held.
View Quote
and here's their "op-ed" on why:
Why are joint military drills between China and Russia on the rise?

Unlike the members of NATO, Russia and China are not treaty allies. The increased number of military drills has led some analysts to believe that Moscow and Beijing are trying to improve what in military terminology is known as the "interoperability" of their forces. In simple terms, that means the ability of two independent militaries to operate each other's equipment and to fight alongside each other, seamlessly.

Analysis by CSIS of the Alaska drill concluded that the two countries were demonstrating that they can "project power" and "reach the US homeland".

The drills come amid the intensifying Ukraine war. Moscow has warned NATO countries that if they lift restrictions on Ukraine's use of long-range missiles within Russian territory, it would be interpreted by the Kremlin as an act of war.

In July, after the Alaska drill, Zhang Xiaogang, a spokesperson for China's defence ministry, told a news conference that the drills were being conducted to strengthen mutual trust and cooperation between Russia and China.

"This action is not aimed at third parties, it is in line with relevant international laws and international practices and has nothing to do with the current international and regional situation," Zhang said.
View Quote
I know we give a lot of "shit" to al-jazeera, but they do defend their statements, sometimes well, sometimes poorly, but they just don't change the subject like MSNBC and the other clowns. That's why I prefer posting their stories than most of the American media news stories.

Link Posted: 9/29/2024 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I would like to do our monthly check-in of the Myanmar civil war next (yes, I'm stalling this morning because there's still no flight tracker published; might not be one for yesterday.)

Two stories from al-jazeera as they do dedicate to cover the conflict. Overall the Junta is bordering on "definitely not winning" to "the beginning of the end." As the Junta is an Ally of the PRC, we are expecting or at least won't be surprised when PLA volunteers come into the conflict to help.
Myanmar anti-coup forces target Mandalay in struggle to oust military
Myanmar's second-biggest city is beginning to feel like a city under siege. But while armed groups might be at the gates of Mandalay, most residents do not consider them the enemy.
View Quote

"At first, most residents didn't flee from the town because we had no experience with war. When the fighting got more intense near the town, we understood we couldn't stay here."

While Myanmar's borderlands, home to many of the country's ethnic minorities, have been ravaged by conflict for decades, the mostly Bamar areas in the heart of the country had not seen conflict since World War II. That all changed when the military overthrew Aung San Suu Kyi's democratically elected government in 2021, plunging the country into a political crisis and civil war.

Since then, the Myanmar military has suffered stunning defeats at the hands of longstanding ethnic armed groups and more-recently-established pro-democracy militias. But perhaps no development has been as unexpected as the recent capture of four towns in northern Mandalay, leaving the anti-coup alliance within striking distance of a city with a population of nearly 2 million people.

Tun said he was "very happy" that resistance groups seized Singu, even though it has had a devastating effect on the town. Public services have collapsed and nearly every resident has fled as the military launches air and artillery attacks in an attempt to reclaim it.
View Quote

Mandalay, Myanmar's old royal capital and cultural centre of the Buddhist heartland, saw some of the largest protests after the coup   and some of the most brutal crackdowns. Many of those young protesters fled to territory controlled by ethnic armed groups to get weapons and training. They are now returning   armed and determined.
View Quote

Even if the resistance does not push south towards Mandalay city, capturing the northern Mandalay region is still significant to the fight because it connects opposition-controlled territories. Davis said the "logistical and operational connectivity between now-contiguous swaths of resistance-dominated territory  will be critically important, perhaps decisive."
View Quote

In response to continued losses, the Junta will afford the rebels/revolutionaries the opportunity to surrender. That's very kind of them:
Myanmar military urges anti-coup forces to give up struggle and join talks
Myanmar's military coup leaders have urged their opponents to put down their weapons and start political dialogue, in a surprise move that was swiftly rejected.

The State Administration Council (SAC), as the military has styled itself since seizing power in February 2021, urged the ethnic armed groups and People's Defence Forces (PDF) fighting against military rule to give up what it described as the "terrorist way" and start political dialogue.
View Quote

The armed groups have taken control of swathes of the country since combining forces to launch a major offensive in October last year, putting the military under immense pressure.

"Ethnic armed organizations and PDF terrorists fighting against the State are invited to contact the State to resolve the political issues through party politics or electoral processes in order to be able to join hands with the people to emphasize durable peace and development by discarding the armed terrorist way," the SAC said in a statement published in Friday's edition of the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar.

The National Unity Government (NUG), which includes elected lawmakers removed in the coup, swiftly dismissed the offer.

NUG spokesperson Nay Phone Latt said it was not worth considering, according to the Reuters news agency.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2024 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#19]
There's a typhoon in the South China Sea region, and it's growing in strength. Not a lot of news so far, plus a big chunk of the China's Militia fishing fleet is in the area probably due to the naval exercise going on. Let's check in, shall we:
AFP: China's navy tailed multilateral exercise in West Philippine Sea
China's People Liberation Army Southern Theater Command organized its naval and air forces for routine reconnaissance, early warning, and sea-air patrol exercises near the waters surrounding Bajo de Masinloc (Panatag, Scarborough Shoal) on Saturday, coinciding with the Multilateral Maritime Cooperative Activity (MMCA) where naval and air force units of the Philippines, Australia, Japan, and New Zealand also held drills in the northern Luzon part of the West Philippine Sea.
View Quote

Col. Francel Margareth Padilla, AFP spokesperson, said the Philippine military monitored the Chinese navy vessels in the vicinity of the exercise but that the multilateral exercise "proceeded as planned without any interference" and that the ships of the participating countries were never in danger.

"While there were observations of PLAN vessels tailing during the MMCA, no reports were received regarding the conduct of the alleged Chinese military exercise," Padilla also said.
View Quote
AFP is Armed Forces Philippines.
"The AFP views the MMCA as a pivotal demonstration of international cooperation, strengthening partnerships and enhancing the capabilities of allied nations. This collaborative approach is essential in maintaining a safe and secure maritime environment in the region," Padilla said.

"Recent Maritime Cooperative Activities with allied countries are integral to our Maritime Security Operations, aimed at strengthening our effective presence in the West Philippine Sea. We will continue to actively engage with regional and international partners, fostering alliances through joint exercises, information sharing, and capacity-building initiatives," she continued.
View Quote
At the end of the report is a video that is marked a 1:04, but the interesting part is around 30 seconds of visual on the BRP Sierra Madre which is the WWII landing ship that is "guarding" the claim that the Philippines has on the Second Thomas Shoal. I really feel for those Philippine Marines on that ship.

Also, the news story is in Tagalog. Think Spanish TV, but no hot Weather womans!!! Honestly, that's a sad thought, but do check out the first 30 seconds of the video.
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's another update to the Philippina mayor, who fled the Philippines to Indonesia, that we've been following. We estimated her to be an agent of the MSS at the beginning:
WRAP: Supposed Chinese spy in Thai jail rekindles suspicion Alice Guo is a Beijing asset
MANILA   An Al Jazeera documentary has prompted questions at the House of Representatives and revived speculations that Alice Guo, the dismissed mayor of Bamban, Tarlac facing a raft of cases related to Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators, is not only a Chinese national, but is also a spy for China's Ministry of State Security.

The East 101 documentary on jailed tycoon She Zhijiang, who is facing deportation to China and claims to be a former MSS spy, was shown at the House Quad Comm hearing on Friday, giving lawmakers a new line of questioning and Guo a reason to lose her cool.

"Hindi po ako spy. Totally po hindi ako spy. Hindi ako ang nasa picture at hindi rin po ako ang sinasabi niya," Guo said of a supposed dossier that She had on Guo Hua Ping   the name Chinese national with the same fingerprints as her   whose listed address was a Communist Party of China office and whose neighbors in Fujian Province said she had moved to the Philippines in late 2002.
View Quote
Yeah, I know, right!!! Thank God, they translated this for us:
(I am not a spy. I am totally not a spy. I am not the woman in the picture and what [She is] saying isn't true)
View Quote

So, to break this down, al-jazeera posted a documentry about a woman who turned herself(?) into authorities in Thailand and is suspected of being involved in some hefty shenanigans in Myanmar. She claims she was an MSS agent, and that Alice Guo is her daughter. Some of the things she's turned over to authorites are photos of a girl that resemebles Alice Guo and some kind of identification card that includes finger prints that match Alice Guo.

Speculation that Guo might be a Chinese spy cropped up at the start of Senate hearings into POGOs, when Sens. Risa Hontiveros and Win Gatchalian began asking questions about her true nationality.

"Mayor Alice was catapulted to power in a small town in Tarlac, but does she have the public records that will strongly establish her identity as a Filipino national?" Hontiveros asked in May. She said she was worried that Guo's candidacy and eventual election was an attempt by either China or by syndicates to gain a foothold in Philippine government.

That same month, Guo said in an exclusive interview with ABS-CBN News that she had been evasive in answering senators' questions because she was ashamed of being born out of wedlock.
View Quote

Suspicion of Guo came shortly after similar suspicion of a supposed influx of Chinese students in Tuguegarao City in Cagayan Valley and of supposed "sleeper cells" in the Philippines after four Chinese nationals were arrested in Palawan for issuing fraudulently acquired government IDs, including retiree visas.
View Quote
To be honest at this point, things are getting pretty messy, and as with any other place in the tropical zones of this planet, drama and dramatization and over-dramatizations are the norm. We'll do our best to pull facts out of the "stew."

Link Posted: 9/29/2024 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/29/2024 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Time for a quick beer review of Zoinks favorite beer Chimay.  I bought a 4 pack of Chimay Premiere Red.  Overall it’s a wonderful beer. It’s a beer you can enjoy by just sipping it, actually it makes you want to drink it that way.  I give it a 9/10.  I shared the 3 others with good friends.  Two of them I’ll describe simply as savages, spending more than $3 on a beer to them is unthinkable.  Well they enjoyed chimay but refused to give it a rating because that’s just how they are.  Third friend who had one is an admiral and he’s had them before. He had to give us a lecture on Trappist monks which devolved into the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance, which after 5 minutes we stopped listening to him. Anyways Zoinks he said you must be a refined man, also he’s going to read this thread now.

That’s it beer review over back to the regular schedule.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2024 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Taiwan on alert over 'multiple waves' of missile firing in inland China
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/taiwan-alert-over-multiple-waves-missile-firing-inland-china-2024-09-29/

Taiwan Ports Put On Alert For China Missile Strike
https://gcaptain.com/taiwan-ports-put-on-alert-for-china-missile-strike/

Taiwan detects China's test-firing of missiles
https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-china-missiles-6e724e557d850fa6a31d9501d8158ab1
View Quote
I can't find any other source than the Reuters original report which is being used by everyone including MSNBC and the retransmittal they're using.
Link here: Taiwan announces full combat readiness due to China's launch of ballistic missiles

Here's the Taiwanese MND site:
Military News Update
I took a screen shot of it:
Attachment Attached File

Guess I could've made that smaller!

BBC, France 24 have nothing, CNN still has the ICBM article at the top of their coverage, and Fox has the sunken submarine story and the PRC trying to smuggle drones into Libya as COVID aid.

The Reuters story ended up everywhere that published it even under different by-lines as the language was all the same including the all too familar "couldn't get a hold of anyone Chinese" statement.

Maybe on a weekday when everyone is back to work we can get some clarity here. But, the PRC does have a new available plan as they luanch  10 commercial satellites and one ICBM during the same time frame. I fully expect more shenanigans like that in the future.

Link Posted: 9/30/2024 12:07:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#24]
I'm happy you enjoyed the beer! and even better you have a friend that could "guide" everyone for as long as that lasted!! LOL
Remember, "There is no beer in Heaven. That's why we drink it here."

Here's the only Sky Action we'll be having until Taiwan News gets back to publishing flight trackers:
2024/09/30 PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan
1. Date
6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Sunday to Monday, Sep. 29-30  

2. PLA activities  
9 PLA aircraft and 4 PLAN vessels operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today. 8 of the aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and entered Taiwan's southwestern ADIZ. ROC Armed Forces have monitored the situation and employed CAP aircraft, Navy vessels, and coastal missile systems in response to the detected activities.
View Quote
We're a looking at only four ships. That's well below the average for picket duty, but enough for rescue/recovery as the need may be. Too bad we don't know what the flights look like.

I don't know why your quote didn't show up! I wanted to use your newest graphic find to point out the the mobile launcher is on Hainan Island. If there's one, there's more than one. Plus, they included the number of take offs and landings. I don't know if that means 205 sorties for the Liaoning, for example. That would mean one take off and then a landing for the same aircraft. Who knows!!
I'm going to see if I can copy this at retry to get it right.

Link Posted: 9/30/2024 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/30/2024 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Time for a quick beer review of Zoinks favorite beer Chimay.  I bought a 4 pack of Chimay Premiere Red.  Overall it's a wonderful beer. It's a beer you can enjoy by just sipping it, actually it makes you want to drink it that way.  I give it a 9/10.  I shared the 3 others with good friends.  Two of them I'll describe simply as savages, spending more than $3 on a beer to them is unthinkable.  Well they enjoyed chimay but refused to give it a rating because that's just how they are.  Third friend who had one is an admiral and he's had them before. He had to give us a lecture on Trappist monks which devolved into the Order of Cistercians of the Strict Observance, which after 5 minutes we stopped listening to him. Anyways Zoinks he said you must be a refined man, also he's going to read this thread now.

That's it beer review over back to the regular schedule.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/482001/IMG_0932_jpeg-3336232.JPG
View Quote
I'm happy you enjoyed the beer! and even better you have a friend that could "guide" everyone for as long as that lasted!! LOL
Remember, "There is no beer in Heaven. That's why we drink it here."

Here's the only Sky Action we'll be having until Taiwan News gets back to publishing flight trackers:
2024/09/30 PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan
1. Date
6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Sunday to Monday, Sep. 29-30

2. PLA activities
9 PLA aircraft and 4 PLAN vessels operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today. 8 of the aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and entered Taiwan's southwestern ADIZ. ROC Armed Forces have monitored the situation and employed CAP aircraft, Navy vessels, and coastal missile systems in response to the detected activities.
We're a looking at only four ships. That's well below the average for picket duty, but enough for rescue/recovery as the need may be. Too bad we don't know what the flights look like.

I don't know why your quote didn't show up! I wanted to use your newest graphic find to point out the the mobile launcher is on Hainan Island. If there's one, there's more than one. Plus, they included the number of take offs and landings. I don't know if that means 205 sorties for the Liaoning, for example. That would mean one take off and then a landing for the same aircraft. Who knows!!
I'm going to see if I can copy this at retry to get it right.

Success!! and I turned into a post-whore as well!! Double Success!!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2024 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Nicely done, my Brother!!!!

8 aircraft covered area 1 over a 9 hour period, and area 2 was active for an hour. That might explain the smaller number of ship sorties, and there's a typhoon in the area.
Link Posted: 9/30/2024 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Taiwan on alert over 'multiple waves' of missile firing in inland China
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/taiwan-alert-over-multiple-waves-missile-firing-inland-china-2024-09-29/

Taiwan Ports Put On Alert For China Missile Strike
https://gcaptain.com/taiwan-ports-put-on-alert-for-china-missile-strike/

Taiwan detects China's test-firing of missiles
https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-china-missiles-6e724e557d850fa6a31d9501d8158ab1
View Quote
GoldenMead has done us a great service by finding this story. Basically, we got punk'd!!! But we will learn from it.

Reuters' Home page and the China page and the Asia-Pacific page do not have such a story listed (i've checked back to stories dating at 25SEP24 to make sure), and yet the story has been "updated" at least once, and the website it's on has valid certications listed. Interesting, yes?

The APNews site updated their story to only mention the "wave" of missile firings, but then the remaining story is about the earlier ICBM launch.

Now, I don't doubt that the PLA fires missiles into the Gobi Dessert, not at all. It's the part about Taiwan going into lock down over the story. How, why and who got that into the mix of the story?

Qui bono always works, Gentlemen! The story gives us a known action and a known response (yes, even though the response is totally made up). The result of the "story" is that the Taiwanese are over-reacting. They're on a hair-trigger!! "They'll over-react themselves into War." We should look for more of these stories coming down through the pike! Plus this is a good reminder that Propaganda Friday is now every day!!

You know who was really good at this stuff? I mean really good?? They get made fun of in Saving Private Ryan, but they were really good.
Click To View SpoilerThey bluffed everyone in '36, '38, had the Poles completely fooled in '39, and the '40 operation into Holland, Belgium (Should I be polite enough to mention Luxembourg? No!) and France was a Master Class in infiltration and propaganda.

As SAC always said, "we're at War everyday." It's here, and it's always slow in the beginning. (Of course, the War didn't cancel Taco Tuesdays. We still had the rest of the week to have Turkey ala King, Chicken ala King and Tuna ala King.) You can actually miss it all until it explodes in front of you.

Link Posted: 10/1/2024 12:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#30]
I'm dissappointed, Brother Carmel!! I expected more from this introductory speech. I'm a little underwhelmed.

BEIJING   Chinese President Xi Jinping said Monday that no challenges can stop the country from moving forward and reiterated Beijing's reunification aims with Taiwan.

He was speaking at a reception commemorating the 75th anniversary of the People's Republic of China, which was founded on Oct.1, 1949.

"The path ahead will definitely see challenges," Xi said, before calling on the country to overcome uncertainties and risks. "No challenges can stop China's progress."

The comments were translated by CNBC from a Chinese state media broadcast.

The brief speech, aired during the state broadcaster's daily evening news program, noted that Xi and other top Chinese leaders entered the reception shortly after 5 p.m. local time on Monday.

About 3,000 people, including foreigners, attended the event in Beijing, according to state media.

During his speech, Xi emphasized the need to unify under the Chinese Communist Party's leadership and reiterated Beijing's "firm opposition" to Taiwan "separatist" activities, while calling for both sides to increase economic and cultural cooperation.

He cast reunification with Taiwan as an inevitable development of history   something he has said previously.

Beijing considers the democratically self-ruled island as a part of its territory.

Xi did not mention specific countries or trade conflicts in his Monday speech, instead portraying China as upholding globalization. He broadly thanked "friendly" countries and supporters of China's development.

He also emphasized Beijing's claim to Greater China by saying "national rejuvenation" was the hope of Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and all Chinese peoples.

The Beijing leader added that China would "spur" the development of Hong Kong and Macao   both self-governed regions which are ruled by Beijing under the "one country, two systems" principle.
Neither Macao nor Hong Kong were poor countries before the PRC took over. This reminds me of the old joke how about how to make a small fortune? Start with a large one.

You guys know who else made "pan-nationalist" speeches about their future? That's Right!!! Stalin and pan-slavism, and Hitler and pan-germanism.

In a 2019 speech commemorating the PRC's 70th anniversary, Xi had said that no force could sway China's development, amid festivities involving a military parade and large-scale celebrations. Events for the 65th anniversary were more subdued.
It's already the 1st of October there, and no pictures of parades that I could find.

Xi's speech comes at a time of uptick in Chinese markets in recent weeks, with major mainland Chinese and Hong Kong stock indexes recently surging to their highest in more than a year after authorities announced plans to support economic growth. On Thursday, a high-level meeting led by Xi called for halting the real estate decline, and for strengthening fiscal and monetary policy.

While the People's Bank of China has cut rates in the last week, the Ministry of Finance has yet to announce additional fiscal support.
I found another story about the Markets in China. Oh, Look everyone! It's a Reuters story:
China stocks surge in biggest single-day rally since 2008 on stimulus cheer
SHANGHAI/SINGAPORE, Sept 30 (Reuters) - Chinese stocks swept to their biggest single-day gains in 16 years on Monday, with domestic A-shares registering their highest ever turnover, as investors scrambled to join a searing rally sparked by Beijing's latest raft of stimulus measures.

The CSI300 blue-chip index is now up nearly 30% from its February trough, which by some market definitions suggests it is in a bull market, but much of the gains have happened very quickly and over a few sessions since last week.

Many traders, fearing they may miss out of the upsurge ahead of a week-long holiday starting on Tuesday, helped lift the CSI300 index (.CSI300), opens new tab 8.5% at the close, taking its five-day gain to over 25% - the strongest on record.

The broader Shanghai Composite Index (.SSEC), opens new tab meanwhile recorded a total turnover of 1.17 trillion yuan ($166.84 billion) and surged 8.1%.

That took its five-day gains since last Tuesday, when Beijing began rolling out stimulus measures to arrest a slowdown in the broader economy, to 21.4%, the strongest since 1996.

It was also the best single-day percentage gain for both the CSI and SSEC indexes since 2008. Similarly, the smaller Shenzhen index (.SZSC), opens new tab soared 11% and recorded a turnover of 1.4 trillion yuan.

The blistering rally in Chinese stocks has come on the back of last week's most aggressive stimulus measures announced by Beijing since the pandemic - ranging from outsized rate cuts to fiscal support - in an attempt to shore up its ailing economy.

Particularly in a boost for stocks, the People's Bank of China's (PBOC) also introduced two fresh tools to shore up the capital market, one of which includes a swap programme allowing funds, insurers and brokers easier access to funding in order to buy stocks.

That lit a fire under beaten-down Chinese equities that had been languishing near multi-year lows as recently as early this month, as investors fretted over China's growth prospects.

"It's really a big turnaround, the policies are so intensive, we have never seen such clear instruction to stop housing prices declining and support the stock market," said Dickie Wong, executive director of research at Kingston Securities.
CapedCrusader can back me up on this one (), every transaction has a seller and a buyer. Everytime there's an increase in the price per share is because a buyer outbid all the other buyers by offering more money!! That's how it moves up. Unfortunately, there's always someone left to "hold the bag" as it were. "The bag" may be purchased stocks that cost more than their actual value, or something similar. It's rarely ever the big boys that end up holding the bag, and even when they do, they'll cajole some poor sucker to buy it off of them. Who might be holding the bag in the Chinese Markets? Lets see:
"Many foreign investors are afraid of missing out, local retail investors are asking me what they should add to, institutional investors are rushing to the market to catch up, and the large inflows have pushed the Hang Seng Index up to 21,000."

Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index (.HIS), which advanced 2.4% on Monday, is now up roughly 24% for the year, dethroning Taiwan to become Asia's best performing stock market.
One last paragraph to make sure we get the point that everything here is staged to coincide with the 75th Anniversary:
Guangzhou city also announced the same day the lifting of all restrictions on home purchases, while Shanghai and Shenzhen eased curbs on buying.
If you recall when we covered the Third Plenum earlier in the year, there were no new economic measures announced, and it was just the opposite: restrictions were put in place to stop the slide of the value of the ghost houses. Everything has been lifted!!!!!!

ETA: I completely forgot to add these two story links about the PRC economy. It's not good right now:

As the People's Republic of China turns 75, a legacy of economic success faces challenges
(yes, that is a "slap in the face" title.)
China's state-owned firms' profits down 2.1% y/y for Jan-Aug
(and yes, it's another Reuters' story. We still need them )

Both stories cover some bad fundemental economic news.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Another shout out to GoldenMead who found the day before's flight tracker!!
Here's the latest result. I'm doing both for comparison sake. Big Change with only two PLAN ships!
Taiwan tracks 8 Chinese military aircraft, 2 naval ships
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked eight Chinese military aircraft and two naval vessels around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Monday (Sept. 30) and 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

Of the eight People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, four crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the country's northern and southwestern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
Attachment Attached File

Area 2 was only 20 minutes. We can speculate! I wish we could get more data on flight hours, so we can figure out some sort of trends on engine replacements.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 12:47:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Two more stories!
US announces US$567 million military aid package for Taiwan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   US President Joe Biden announced Taiwan's largest-ever military aid package on Sunday (Sept. 29).

In a memorandum, the Biden administration ordered the drawdown of up to US$567 million (NT$17.94 billion) in weapons, training, and logistic support for Taiwan. Presidential drawdown authority "allows for the speedy delivery" of weapons and related services to foreign countries and global organizations to respond to "unforeseen emergencies," according to the US State Department.  

This follows Biden's approval of the Indo-Pacific Security Supplemental Appropriations Act in April, which allotted US$2 billion for the Foreign Military Financing Program for US security partners in the Indo-Pacific, including Taiwan to counter Chinese aggression. The US also budgeted US$1.9 billion to replenish military equipment and services to regional allies.

Taiwan and the Philippines will receive most of the US$2 billion Foreign Military Financing supplement provided, US Senator Chris Coons said in May. Lawmakers need to decide how to divvy up the supplement, while Coons said at the time, "much of which may go to Taiwan, but the Philippines would be the second core priority."

Although there is still a major backlog of arms deliveries to Taiwan, multiple weapons systems will make their way by the end of the year. The first batch of Harpoon missile systems recently arrived in Taiwan. The US approved the potential sale of 100 coastal defense missile systems and 400 Harpoon missiles to Taiwan in 2020. One hundred twenty-six missiles will be delivered by the end of 2026.

Taiwan is reported to have received the first batch of US-made F-16V fighter jets this month, while the first batch of M1A2T Abrams tanks is expected to arrive in December.
View Quote
Kind of amazing!!

US Navy launches 'Project 33' to defend Taiwan from China invasion
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The US Navy recently introduced a strategic document outlining plans to counter Beijing's growing aggression in the Indo-Pacific region, with a focus on preparing for a possible Chinese invasion of Taiwan by 2027.

On Sept. 18, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Lisa M. Franchetti released the "Navigation Plan for America's Warfighting Navy 2024." The document introduces "Project 33," a program aimed at integrating artificial intelligence (AI) and human intelligence to ensure military superiority in the Western Pacific.
View Quote

At the core of Project 33 is the use of advanced robotic and autonomous systems, focusing on their practical application on the battlefield. The project outlines seven key objectives:

1. Addressing delays in the maintenance of ships, submarines, and aircraft

2. Expanding the use of robotic and autonomous systems to integrate more platforms quickly

3. Establishing command centers suited for a distributed battlefield

4. Recruiting and retaining top talent

5. Improving service quality

6. Enhancing combat training

7. Repairing critical infrastructure to support shore-based operations
View Quote
This all sounds great and all, but there's a time factor involved here.

Franchetti highlighted that, given the expected fiscal and industrial constraints, the US Navy will focus on realistic, short-term goals by 2027. These goals include maximizing the efficiency of current capabilities and leveraging drones and emerging technologies rather than significantly expanding the fleet.

She noted that many battlefield innovations have emerged in recent years during the Russo-Ukrainian War and the Red Sea Crisis. Ukraine's effective use of anti-ship missiles and drones helped suppress the Russian Black Sea fleet, while in the Red Sea region, Houthi forces employed ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, and drones to launch large-scale attacks on US forces.

The admiral emphasized that although US sailors and systems were able to counter these technologies, the military gained valuable insights into the future of naval warfare, such as the use of robotic platforms and more affordable munitions to impose "asymmetric sea denial." In response, the US Navy has introduced an enlisted Robotics Warfare Specialist rating, is working on integrating robotic and autonomous systems across its numbered fleets, and is testing drone countermeasures such as directed energy weapons.

During an event at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington, Franchetti said that while projections suggest the future US Navy will need to be larger, achieving this by 2027 is unlikely. She added, "I had to step back and think about how we can think, act, and operate differently with the resources we have to make the most gains in the shortest time possible."
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2024 3:07:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Two more stories!
US announces US$567 million military aid package for Taiwan
Kind of amazing!!

US Navy launches 'Project 33' to defend Taiwan from China invasion

This all sounds great and all, but there's a time factor involved here.

View Quote

We are sending a second carrier group to the Middle East again and keeping the Lincoln CSG there. 33% of the navy in CENTCOM.  Still zero CSG’s in the west pacific. The Roosevelt left Guam 5 days ago and is headed to San Diego now.  Middle East is very well could go hot at any moment.  I don’t think Project 33 is going to be in place in time. 2027 is forever from now.  

“You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.”
Donald Rumsfeld
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/oct/01/xi-jinping-75th-anniversary-of-peoples-republic-of-china-speech-beijing

As much as I loathe the left leaning Guardian this is worth reading
View All Quotes
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2024/oct/01/xi-jinping-75th-anniversary-of-peoples-republic-of-china-speech-beijing

As much as I loathe the left leaning Guardian this is worth reading
Oh, I understand, Brother! But they're not Maoist, and they're no fans of the CCP. I've read the NPR story, the Reuters one and one other that was more of the usual for this crowd, all of them fawning as much as they can.

Xi Jinping forecasts 'rough seas' on 75th anniversary of People's Republic of China
Xi Jinping has warned of "rough seas" ahead for China's people in a speech marking the 75th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China that was notable for the lack of major festivities.

In the speech to about 3,000 Chinese Communist party (CCP) members and foreign dignitaries on Monday, the eve of China's national day, Xi praised China's advancement since Communist forces ousted the Nationalist government and established the PRC.

Xi, head of China's ruling CCP, said "no difficulties can stop the Chinese people from moving forward" but called on the population to be "vigilant", prepare for danger, and rely on the party and its army ahead of tough times.

"The road ahead will not be smooth, there will definitely be difficulties and obstacles, and we may encounter major tests such as high winds and rough seas, or even stormy waves," said Xi, who has tightened control over the CCP and Chinese people during his rule.

China is the world's second-largest economy and second most populous nation but has struggled to bounce back after the Covid-19 pandemic and major issues in its housing sector   two of the biggest drivers of an economic downturn that is also affected by an ageing population and low consumer spending.

In recent weeks the government has announced a raft of measures to boost the economy, including lowering interest rates and raising the retirement age, but analysts have warned it may not be enough. It is also engaged in territorial disputes with neighbours including the Philippines, Taiwan, and Japan that are significant drivers of ongoing hostilities with the US   a major supporter of all three.

In his speech, Xi reiterated plans to annex Taiwan under what he terms "reunification". The CCP claims Taiwan as a Chinese province, and subsuming it into the PRC is a key priority. Taiwan, though, has never been ruled from the Chinese mainland since the CCP took power there.

"Taiwan is China's sacred territory, and the people on both sides of the Taiwan Strait are connected by blood, and blood is thicker than water," Xi said during the speech, according to China's state media. "No one can stop the wheel of history."

The CCP has not ruled out using force to take Taiwan and has introduced laws to impose the death penalty on those it finds to be serious separatists   including senior political figures from Taiwan's ruling Democratic Progressive party.

Taiwan's people and their democratically elected independent government overwhelmingly reject the prospect of CCP rule, wishing to maintain the delicate status quo. Taiwan is boosting domestic defences in preparation for a potential attack. The US is a major weapons supplier to Taiwan, under US legislation requiring it to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself.

On Sunday the US government approved the biggest military sales package to date: US$567m worth of weapons, training, and logistics support.

In response, China's ministry of foreign affairs accused the US of "conniving" and "emboldening" secessionist forces, undermining peace and stability in the region, and warned its support would "backfire". "No matter how many weapons the US provides to the Taiwan region, it will never weaken our firm will in opposing 'Taiwan independence' and safeguarding China's national sovereignty and territorial integrity," a spokesman said.

The banquet where Xi spoke was one of few events marking the 75th anniversary. Tuesday was a surprisingly muted affair marked in Beijing only by a flag raising ceremony in Tiananmen Square. Past milestone years have seen opulent ceremonies and big military parades.

Chinese state media headlines ran Xi's speech prominently, but focused mostly on the positive elements, lauding China's achievements under CCP rule. Coverage was otherwise muted compared to past years, a likely signal that the authorities are avoiding ostentatious displays while Chinese people are under financial strain.
In other coverage that I read and very cleverly didn't book mark because I'm some sort of genius, Xi used the analogy of "stormy waters" multiple times, and pointed out "the dangers that lie ahead" for the People and the Army. (I had too many tabs open and messed up!)

Besides the "stormy waters" analogies, it's really interesting that this year is very much downplayed. Last year was not, but 2022 was. That was also the time of "dynamic 'Zero-Covid.'"

To wit, here's the Taiwanese MND report:
2024/10/02 PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan
1. Date
6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Tuesday to Wednesday, Oct. 1-2

2. PLA activities
No PLA aircraft and PLAN vessels operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today.

3. Illustration of flight path is not provided due to no PLA aircraft operating around Taiwan were detected during this timeframe.
We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I also have a response from the Taiwanese Government:
Taiwan rejects Xi's 'reunification' claims on PRC's 75th birthday
'Taiwan has never been part of the People's Republic of China,' says Mainland Affairs Council

TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) rejected Chinese leader Xi Jinping's (   ) claims to Taiwan as the People's Republic of China (PRC) marked its 75th anniversary.

At a state banquet held on the eve of the anniversary on Monday (Sept. 30), Xi claimed that Taiwan is "China's sacred territory, and the people on both sides of the Taiwan Strait are connected by blood, and blood is thicker than water," per Tai Sounds. He insisted on continued adherence to Beijing's "one-China principle" and the "1992 Consensus" and firmly opposed "Taiwan independence separatist activities."

Xi said achieving the "complete reunification of the motherland" is "an irreversible trend, a righteous cause, and the will of the people." He declared, "No one can stop the wheel of history."

In a statement issued on Monday, the MAC called on China's authorities to "face up to the reality that the two sides of the Taiwan Strait are not affiliated with each other, rationally face the mainstream public opinion in Taiwan, and engage in pragmatic dialogue with Taiwan's democratically elected government." It called on Beijing to build goodwill to foster favorable conditions for the development of cross-strait relations.

Before a session of the Legislative Yuan on Tuesday, MAC Minister Chiu Chui-cheng (   ) told the media, "The Republic of China is a sovereign country. Taiwan has never been part of the People's Republic of China," per PTS News. He emphasized, "The reality and objective fact of the Taiwan Strait is that the two sides are not subordinate to each other."

Chiu added that China's "one China" principle and the "1992 Consensus" are opposed by mainstream public opinion in Taiwan.
One more thing that I find interesting is that the "one China, two Systems" mantra has been completely dropped for Taiwan. It hasn't been used in years.

Link Posted: 10/1/2024 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
I got another source for this one. (search engines suck these days!!!)
Germany Arrests Woman Accused of Sharing Arms Export Data With China
I'm going to post maybe all of it in case this ends up behind a paywall was well.
A 38-year-old Chinese woman living in Germany has been arrested on accusations of supplying China's intelligence services with sensitive information on Germany's weapons exports. It is the latest spying-related arrest amid increasing worry in Germany about intelligence gathering by China and Russia.

Germany's federal prosecutor said in a statement on Tuesday that the woman, identified only as Yaqi X. in keeping with strict privacy rules, worked at Leipzig/Halle Airport in eastern Germany. She is accused of passing along information about "flights, freight and passengers" related to arms exports, as well as information on employees of a German weapons manufacturer, the statement said.

The airport, roughly 90 miles southwest of Berlin, is one of Europe's largest cargo hubs, handling over 1.5 million tons of freight each year. The authorities said that Ms. X. worked for a logistics company that operates out of the airport.

The authorities said she also had close links to a Chinese man, identified as Jian G., who was arrested in Germany in April and accused of being a spy in Germany and Brussels.

The police arrested Ms. X. on Monday and searched her apartment in Leipzig and her workplace at the airport.

Berlin has become concerned with the number of active spies in Germany since Russia's 2022 invasion of Ukraine as well as intelligence gathering by China, Germany's largest trade partner.

Last year, security experts and local lawmakers moved to stop the port city of Kiel from twinning with the Chinese port city of Qingdao over fears that the relationship could be used for spying on the German navy and the local military industry, which includes a major submarine builder. And in April, German authorities arrested three German citizens suspected of passing on sensitive naval data and a high-powered laser to Chinese security services.

That month, the police arrested Mr. G., who was working as a parliamentary assistant to a far-right European Union lawmaker. Prosecutors also believed he was an employee of the Chinese secret service.

He is accused of repeatedly passing along information about parliamentary deliberations, and investigators believe that he spied on Chinese opposition groups in Germany. The lawmaker for whom he was a parliamentary assistant, Maximilian Krah, has denied knowledge of any links between the man and the Chinese state security apparatus.

Ms. X. is suspected of passing secret information directly to Mr. G. between the summer of 2023 and February of this year, according to investigators. That information was in part linked to a German weapons manufacturer, they say, although prosecutors declined to identify which one.

The Chinese Embassy in Berlin did not respond to calls or an email seeking comment about the latest arrest.
LOL

Prosecutors declined to specify whether the information was related to arms exports to Ukraine or if other flights were monitored. Antonov Airlines, a Ukrainian company whose fleet includes some of the world's largest cargo planes, moved its planes to Leipzig/Halle after Russian forces invaded Ukraine in early 2022 and destroyed Antonov's home airport at Hostomel, close to Kyiv.

After the United States, Germany is the second biggest donor of direct military aid to Ukraine. This year alone, Berlin plans to send more than 7 billion euros, or about $7.8 billion, in equipment to help Ukraine defend itself against Russia's invasion. Although most is brought to Ukraine via truck or train through Poland, some has been sent at least part way as air cargo.

Link Posted: 10/1/2024 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#39]
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/104418898
View Quote
I stopped at "coalition of the willing."
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I have some other stories I haven't posted yet, and one of them was just updated today! Either actions or consequences are still going on. Let's find out!
Vietnamese fishing boat attacked near contested South China Sea islands, newspapers report
HANOI, Oct 1 (Reuters) - At least 10 Vietnamese fishermen were injured when their boat was attacked by two foreign vessels while fishing near the Paracel Islands claimed by both China and Vietnam, state media reported.

The attack took place on Sunday, the Thanh Nien newspaper said late on Monday, citing authorities in the central province of Quang Ngai.

The fishermen said around 40 people from the foreign vessels beat them with iron pipes and took away their fishing equipment, Tien Phong newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The reports did not provide a description of the foreign vessels nor the alleged attackers.

Three of the fishermen had their legs and arms broken in the attack, Thanh Nien newspaper said, citing Nguyen Thanh Bien, the captain of the fishing boat QNg 957.39 TS.

The fishing boat with the 10 fishermen aboard departed a port in the province on Sept. 13, the report said.
View Quote
Now, why the Vietnamese don't call out the Chinese Militia Fishing Fleet has to be some sort of 4D diplomatic Chess move. There's nobody else out there!!!
Strong letter to follow.

The China-controlled Paracel Islands, known as the Hoang Sa in Vietnam, are in the South China Sea, a busy global maritime waterway almost all of which is claimed by China.

China's foreign ministry said on Tuesday Vietnamese fishing boats illegally fished in the relevant waters of the Paracel Islands without the permission of the Beijing government and that relevant Chinese authorities took measures to stop them.

"The on-site operations were professional and restrained, and no injuries were found," the ministry said, in response to a Reuters request for comment, without specifically referring to the attack.
View Quote

Vietnam's foreign ministry didn't immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment. Vietnamese authorities are investigating the incident, the reports added.
View Quote
LOL The Chinese pretend they're not around when Reuters comes by while the Vietnamese just don't talk to them.

Here's a story I like:
China says US missile deployment in Philippines undermines peace
SHANGHAI, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the U.S. deployment of intermediate-range missiles in the Philippines "undermines regional peace and stability", the foreign ministry said on Sunday.

Speaking to South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Tae-yul in New York on Saturday, Wang also called for avoiding "war or chaos on the Korean Peninsula", the ministry said in a post on its website.

The U.S. deployed the Typhon system, which can be equipped with cruise missiles capable of striking Chinese targets, this year. China has demanded its removal, and Russia has joined in condemning the first deployment of the system to the Indo-Pacific, accusing Washington of fuelling an arms race.

Wang said the deployment "is not in the interests of regional countries".

The Philippines, southern neighbour to Taiwan, which Beijing claims as its own territory, is an important part of U.S. strategy in Asia and would be an indispensable staging point for the military to aid Taipei in the event of a Chinese attack.

Wang said exchanges and cooperation between China and South Korea have become more active this year.
View Quote
Happy 75th!
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Here's a follow up on the TPP Mayor who was receiving monies from city vendors and he in turn was doling it out to other party members:
Ko Wen-je refuses Taipei prosecutors 5th round of questioning
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Former Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (   ) refused to attend prosecutors' fifth round of questioning on Tuesday (Oct. 1) about involvement in the Core Pacific City corruption scandal.

Prosecutors said Ko told detention center staff he was unwilling to attend the scheduled questioning on Monday morning, per CNA. They said that after an assessment, doubts remained regarding Ko's physical and mental condition, and the questioning had been rescheduled.

A representative of Ko's Taiwan People's Party (TPP) told reporters that because Ko was detained without visitation rights, the party only became aware of the situation through media reports. "I am sure the chairman has concrete reasons for making the choice," the spokesperson said.

Ko has been in jail for nearly a month. He was detained on Sept. 5 by a judge who ruled there was sufficient evidence to suspect Ko was involved in a corruption scheme that allegedly saw millions flow from a developer to Taipei City Council members during Ko's mayoralty.

Ko has maintained his innocence since the investigation was made public. After he was detained, Ko's legal team said he would cooperate with the investigation.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2024 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#42]
China Is Ready for War
And Thanks to a Crumbling Defense Industrial Base, America Is Not

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/china/china-ready-war-america-is-not-seth-jones
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Typhoon Krathon stalled right by Taiwan.  Don’t think we’ll have much of a score card today.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#47]
What a difference 3 decades makes, Brother! When we were in college, most of the Chinese students back then were happy to point out the actual MSS agents that were following them around and which of the "students" not to trust. Now, they're all just little spies wanting to impress "the man."

BUT, I am happy to see that the FBI is actually moving faster to get a hold of people snooping around installations. I would have no idea how many reports we would've made at Nellis, for example, back in the '80s, but it had to be an awesome number. At the SAC base in MI, it was a completely different story! You turn in a report, calls are made, State Troopers wearing their campaign hats are dispatched, people wearing suits and sunglasses suddenly materialize. I did learn that you must use the word "subject" and not "fucko" when referencing individuals who are actively observing base operations. I didn't know that at the time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#48]
China Is Ready for War

View All Quotes
China Is Ready for War

When you guys click on this link, switch to "toggle reader view." Something funky with the site. Reader View clears it up.

It's a rather long piece for most of GD!! Plus, most everyone has been keeping up with all the happened during the Obama years.
The Essay is broken up into three sections describing the rapid build-up of PLA forces, a Peace time footing for the US, and a "call to arms" as it were.
We're going to concentrate on the end portion of the essay, the call to arms:

A NEW ARSENAL OF DEMOCRACY

China's defense industrial base is not without problems. It relies on massive state-owned enterprises with convoluted and sprawling organizational structures that undermine efficiency, competition, and innovation. It is also plagued by substantial corruption; late last year, Beijing removed three highly placed defense industry officials in a purge apparently related to corruption in the bid evaluation process. China struggles with some supply chain vulnerabilities, too, particularly with regard to engines, high-end chips, integrated circuits, and manufacturing equipment. The reported sinking of a Chinese nuclear-powered submarine at the Wuchang shipyard earlier this year suggests that China still has a way to go in producing some complex systems. And even though the Chinese military is large and well equipped, it has had no major combat experience since the 1979 Sino-Vietnamese War. But these challenges have not prevented the Chinese defense industrial base from outpacing its U.S. counterpart in some key areas.

The United States now needs to close the gap. The first step is to recognize the urgency of the problem and the scale of the solution needed. A presidential initiative to revitalize the defense industrial base could achieve this, taking inspiration from historical models such as Roosevelt's War Production Board, Harry Truman's Office of Defense Mobilization, and Ronald Reagan's Emergency Mobilization Preparedness Board. Rather than burdening the Defense Department alone with the task of procurement and production, the new body should provide high-level direction, set priorities, and oversee the policies, plans, and procedures of the federal departments involved in defense production. Such a structure would also help integrate the National Security Council, Office of Management and Budget, Departments of State and Commerce, Congress, the private sector, and other organizations that play important roles in the defense industrial base.

Washington must also address the glaring weaknesses in its current defense industrial system. The Defense Department including the military services needs a faster, more flexible, and less risk-averse contracting and acquisition process. For starters, it should shorten the timelines for rewarding contracts and help innovative companies move quickly from prototypes to contracts. Congress also needs to fund multiyear procurement for key munitions. To address labor shortages, the Pentagon should offer financial incentives to defense companies to upskill and reskill workers. The Defense Department and Congress should also invest more in high schools, vocational schools, universities, and other institutions that train and educate individuals for defense industrial base jobs. And the United States must revitalize its shipbuilding sector. Bringing back long-dormant subsidies can boost investment in the country's commercial shipyards, modernize and expand the industry, and develop a more capable and competitive workforce in this field.

A year before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor brought the United States into World War II, Roosevelt exhorted the country to "build now with all possible speed every machine, every arsenal, every factory that we need to manufacture our defense material." China's rapid rearmament and the ongoing wars in Ukraine and the Middle East are signs that the clouds are darkening. To be ready for a wartime environment, the United States must once again follow Roosevelt's advice.

The part in red, most of us understand that. It goes back to when Reagan was President and both houses of Congress were firmly run by the Democrats. That's when the it really got bad as to how much of the Defense budget was merely a money laundering scheme. Damn near almost every year, flying wings would be curtailing operations by end of August/beginning of September because there wasn't enough money to go to the end of the fiscal year. But, oh boy, the news stories about how that luscious money going to DOD!!!! Who got it? That's what I would like to know.

As for the rest, I think we really need to concentrate very hard and pray to God above that our enemies are truly even more incompetent than we are if we're going to survive what may come. Amen. (Never too early to start.)
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Chinese Aircraft Carrier Operating Near the Philippines
https://news.usni.org/2024/10/02/chinese-aircraft-carrier-operating-near-the-philippines-u-s-marines-arrive
View All Quotes
Chinese Aircraft Carrier Operating Near the Philippines
https://news.usni.org/2024/10/02/chinese-aircraft-carrier-operating-near-the-philippines-u-s-marines-arrive
This is a good one, GoldenMead!!

On Wednesday, the JSO issued a release stating that the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) had confirmed a number of PLAN ships including aircraft carrier CNS Liaoning (16) were operating in the Philippine Sea since Sept. 20. The JSO had earlier issued a report detailing the composition of the Liaoning CSG and its activities from Sept. 20-26, with Wednesday's release updating the activities and composition of the CSG from Friday to Tuesday.

The release also stated that from Friday to Tuesday, Liaoning carried out 130 launches and recoveries of its fighter aircraft and 90 take-offs and landings by its embarked helicopters for a total of 220 sorties and 630 sorties in total since Sept. 20.

From Tuesday to Wednesday, Liaoning and several PLAN ships sailed southwest in the waters east of the Philippines, according to the release. A map of the Liaoning CSG's movement showed its last position as southeast of the Philippin main island Mindanao and approaching the Celebes Sea. The release stated that destroyers JS Asahi (DD-119) and JS Kirisame (DD-104) shadowed the CSG. Kirisame likely relieved Asahi, which had been shadowing the PLAN CSG since Sept. 20.
There's a related story at the bottom of the page as well:
Chinese Aircraft Carrier Liaoning Operating in the Philippine Sea

The JSO release gave the daily location and composition of the Liaoning CSG from Sept. 20 to Thursday, and stated that carrier CNS Liaoning (16) carried out 250 launches and recoveries of its fighter aircraft and 160 take-offs and landings of its helicopters during that period. The location is given as relative to distance from Okinotorishima, an atoll in the Philippine Sea that is administered by Japan located midway between Taiwan and Guam. The release also stated that Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) destroyer JS Asahi (DD-119) shadowed the PLAN CSG. The details on the Liaoning CSG's location and composition are as follows:

Date: Friday, Sept. 20
Position: 497 miles southwest of Okinotorishima
Carrier: Liaoning
Destroyer: CNS Huainan (123)

Date: Saturday, Sept. 21
Position: 173 miles southwest of Okinotorishima
Destroyer: CNS Chengdu (120)

Date: Sunday, Sept. 22
Position: 173 miles southwest of Okinotorishima
Destroyers: CNS Urumqi (118) and Chengdu

Date: Monday, Sept. 23
Position: 254 miles southwest of Okinotorishima
Destroyers: Urumqi and Chengdu

Date: Tuesday, Sept. 24
Position: 254 miles west of Okinotorishima
Destroyer: Chengdu

Date: Wednesday, Sept. 25
Position: 434 miles west of Okinotorishima
Destroyers: Chengdu and Huainan
Fast Combat Support Ship: CNS Hulunhu (901)

Date: Thursday, Sept. 26
Position: 633 miles southwest of Okinotorishima
Destroyers: Chengdu and Huainan

Boy, can the Japanese make reports or what? It would make sense if they used the word "fucko", though. Damn! Wish I'd thought of that when I had to  speak to the First Sergeant. It would've made for a great story!! As we all know, great stories begin with bad decisions!!! Moving on:

On Friday PLA Daily reported that the Shandong CSG had recently completed its combat training mission and had returned to a military port. The report did not state the date of the CSG's return, the composition of the CSG and the port to which it returned, though carrier CNS Shandong (17) is homeported at Yulin Naval Base on Hainan Island. PLA Daily reported that Shandong carried out a variety of training that simulated combat conditions while deployed to the South China Sea, western Pacific and other waters.
I'm skipping most of the PLA statements because they're always the same. But, more Japanese reportage:
Meanwhile, the JSO issued several releases this week on the movements of Russian ships around Japan. On Tuesday, the JSO issued a release stating that on Sunday at 3 a.m., Russian Navy surveillance ship Kurily (208) was sighted sailing west in an area 43 miles northeast of Cape Soya on the main island of Hokkaido and subsequently sailed west through La Perouse Strait to enter the Sea of Japan. The release noted that Kurily sailed east through La Perouse Strait on Jul. 18 and also stated that fast attack craft JS Kumataka (PG-827) and a JMSDF P-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) of Fleet Air Wing 2 based at JMSDF Hachinohe Air Base on the main island of Honshu monitored the Russian ship.

A Thursday release stated that on Wednesday at 11 a.m, Russian Navy destroyer RFS Marshal Shaposhnikov (543) and missile range instrumentation ship Marshal Krylov (331) were sighted sailing northeast in an area 211 miles southwest of Rebun Island, which lies 31 miles off the northwest tip of the main island of Hokkaido. Subsequently, on Thursday, the two Russian ships sailed east through La Perouse Strait. Fast-attack craft JS Wakataka (PG-825) and a JMSDF P-3C Orion MPA of Fleet Air Wing 2 shadowed the Russian ships, according to the release.

On Friday, the JSO issued a release stating that at 9 a.m. that day, Russian Navy corvette RFS Gremyashchiy (337) was sighted sailing west in an area 55 miles northeast of Cape Soya and then sailed west through La Perouse Strait. Kumataka (PG-827) and a JMSDF P-3C Orion MPA of Fleet Air Wing 2 shadowed the Russian corvette, according to the release.
Nice reporting: who, where, what and times in and out. Beautiful find, GoldenMead!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2024 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#50]
An Industrial Mobilization Plan to Deter or Defeat China

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2024/october/industrial-mobilization-plan-deter-or-defeat-china
View All Quotes
An Industrial Mobilization Plan to Deter or Defeat China

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2024/october/industrial-mobilization-plan-deter-or-defeat-china
I'm pulling out a quote at the end of the piece that is relevant even in an individual's life:
Ike famously said, "In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."
Always have a plan!!
We don't.

Here's the beginning of the article:
If war were to break out with China, the United States would find one imperative for victory has been neglected: planning for rapid military industrial mobilization to arm and support its fighting forces. A whole-of-nation contingency plan is needed now. The day before will be too late. As John Wayne once proclaimed, "We're burning daylight."
This is the kind of story where I really miss the wise-words of ScreechJet. He once posted a link to a book about the Army General who in mid-1940 was tasked with a plan to mobilize industry to turn out war materiel. Great Story!!
Attachment Attached File

Smart guy. I miss his posts.

The article outlines the problem and what's needed. I want to grab a few of the more interesting paragraphs.
Many war planners believe a conflict involving the United States, its allies, and China will be short but sharp. Hopefully, they are right. Nonetheless, China now sails the world's largest navy, and its arsenal includes hypersonic missiles, stealth fighters, and a rapidly expanding number of nuclear warheads.

China now claims most of the South China Sea, and it is the likely boxing ring for a potential fight. Accordingly, rapid mobilization should prioritize weapons and sensors suited for naval conflict. Prime defense contractors should not be ignored, but the nimble newcomers are more likely to build and deploy the portfolio of arms tailored to the short/sharp fight.

But what if a Sino-American conflict becomes both prolonged and costly and regional hot spots erupt? Controlling escalation will depend on the United States' ability to rapidly mobilize its manufacturing might, as it did in World War II.

In 1993, Secretary of Defense William Perry concluded that excess capacity was no longer needed, and consolidation of the U.S. military industrial base ensued. The number of prime defense contractors ultimately narrowed from more than 50 in the 1950s to only 6 today. That consolidation does not fit today's rapidly changing technology or the type of fight that might occur between the United States and China.

Taking a lesson from the Russia-Ukraine war, a fight that was intended to be short and sharp, the United States would be wise to develop a plan for rapid military industrial mobilization that could be rolled out as soon as red lines are approached or unexpectedly crossed. The 2022 National Defense Strategy recognized that the status quo does not cut it, concluding it is "too slow and too focused on acquiring systems not designed to address the most critical challenges we now face." Mobilization must include data science and new weapons and sensors that can be rapidly manufactured at scale and deployed with U.S. fighting forces.

and most important of all:
Conflict with China would likely erupt quickly, perhaps sparked by an accident in the air or at sea or by a surprise attack on Taiwan. No one knows how long the fight would last. Assuming the National Defense Strategy is correct, and the right strategy is in effect, the United States will need a corresponding framework for rapid military industrial mobilization built on the following essential pillars:....

Using Russia going into the Ukraine was a good example. None of us know what the hell the Russians were thinking when they entered the Ukraine proper. It was truly a bizarre series of maneuvers that mostly made no sense to those outside of the planners especially me! I still can't think of why they drove a convoy of empty trucks reportedly 20 miles long that parked itself over a week and everyone was surprised when the Ukrainians didn't attack it for whatever reason they didn't attack the convoy, and then the trucks drove back to the Crimea. We can't expect that sort of behavior from the PLA.
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top