Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See, you shouldnt have lifted. It took you 3x to get though mountain...duh....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone who has humped and ski'd a pack and M240 through mountains and desert (to include mountain warfare school x3) I can tell you that you are horribly mistaken.
See, you shouldnt have lifted. It took you 3x to get though mountain...duh....

lol

To be fair, one time was winter infantry, one time was assault climber, and one time was summer so not the same course 3x
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Break it down, let it recover. It changes a hell of a lot when you get older. At some point you end up doing more damage then good if you push it too far.

All the sickos at work always seemed to be the jocks, they seemed to take 3-4 times the sick days then the rest of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weight lifting is not good for you.

Running is bad for you.

The best thing you can do is not be a lardass, avoid sugar like the plague, don't smoke, don't be an alcoholic, and stay away from drugs (legal or not).

Exercise outside of daily chores is not going to do much of anything for your health.
Where did you get your medical degree from?
He's kind of right, the more you stress your body, the faster it breaks down, look at most sports athletes, they are walking cripples much of the time when they hit their 50's.
So you're using professional athletes to show that stressing your body is bad?

Now lets talk about average people who don't workout for a living.

Stress is what makes your body adapt- bones get stronger, muscle grows, tendons and ligaments get stronger. NOT stressing your body makes you fucking weak and sickly, just like not stressing your brain makes you stupid and gullible.
Break it down, let it recover. It changes a hell of a lot when you get older. At some point you end up doing more damage then good if you push it too far.

All the sickos at work always seemed to be the jocks, they seemed to take 3-4 times the sick days then the rest of us.
So...overtraining causes injury...yeah we know lol.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm 63, I ride a mountain bike for fitness.  I've been doing it since I was 19. Well, not mtb but road bikes first.
I also plan on collecting ss for many years.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not true. There are many hundreds of muscle bound office workers who can bench press and squat many times what I can. I lift heavy shit all day doing construction. If they work with me they loose steam hours before I do.

Lifting 600 pounds on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings as 5 sets of 15 reps doesn't give you the same stamina as lifting 200 pounds 25 times an hour and walking it 200yds from 5a-6p Monday through Friday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone who has humped and ski'd a pack and M240 through mountains and desert (to include mountain warfare school x3) I can tell you that you are horribly mistaken.
As someone who has lifted and loaded countless equipment and materials over rough terrain for over 30 years. I can tell you I am not. Weight training and load management are two fucking different things. I’ve seen guys who are thin as a rail outwork muscle heads. As a matter of fact we used to employ temp labor services and the lifter boyz were always the first to crap out, I got many free beers betting sgainst them. Just because your frame is fitter for load bearing doesn’t equate to you being cut out fir manual labor. I stand by it, lifting doesn’t translate well to labor.
Yes it does. I've seen it, I've done it. Being stronger is never a bad thing. Maybe those guys you saw weren't really that strong. Maybe they just talked a lot of shit or didn't know what they were doing.

Bottom line is if the task is "move a heavy object from point A to point B" and it involves no skill, strong wins. This also applies if you and your gear are the objects and you're in the mountains.
Not true. There are many hundreds of muscle bound office workers who can bench press and squat many times what I can. I lift heavy shit all day doing construction. If they work with me they loose steam hours before I do.

Lifting 600 pounds on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings as 5 sets of 15 reps doesn't give you the same stamina as lifting 200 pounds 25 times an hour and walking it 200yds from 5a-6p Monday through Friday.
Yes it's true. You can use guys with shitty programs if you want, but I fucking guarantee you I could hang with you all day long.

Weight is weight man. Period. Full stop.

If lifting prepped me perfectly to hike heavy shit AT ALTITUDE for hours and hours a day for weeks on end, I can keep up with any type of physical labor. It's not like just because the weight is attached to a barbell means your muscles adapt differently lol.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PLEASE DO NOT ENCOURAGE BOOMERS TO GO TO THE GYM.

For the most part they have no idea how to properly work out. Do shit like this all day long:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/08/70/c7/0870c76067157e07e30af36f8e011b2b.gif

Then - i swear - they walk around and blow dry their balls in the locker room with one foot up on the counter.  Disgusting boomers.

View Quote
I'm a boomer.
If I was going to blow dry my balls with a blow dryer, I'd just spread my legs apart .

Fuck a bunch of putting a foot up on the counter.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have found the exact opposite to be true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't find that lifting correlates well with actual activities.
I have found the exact opposite to be true.
When I originally started weightlifting, in my 20s, it was because I was an avid dirtbiker and got tired of literally being tired and worn out so quick.  I could ride hard for maybe a half hour and then have to slow way down or stop and take a break.  Also noticed that when I would get tired I would start crashing, alot.

After a couple months of busting my butt in the gym, my stamina went waaaayyyyy up.  And the extra strength made it a lot easier to ride the bike aggressively, for far longer.

And I noticed those benefits in every other area of my life.  From carrying around steel at work, to doing yardwork, to helping people move.  Sleeping a hell of a lot better too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

i HAVE ARTHRITIS IN EVERY JOINT i HAVE i AM BONE ON BONE IN BOTH KNEES  NO CARTRIDGE LEFT.

iF YOU WANT MY GEN X opinion all working out is stupid.  there is no reason to do any of it
unless you have some self concept problems and cannot sleep unless you abuse your body daily.
View Quote
I need knee replacements in both knees at 33. Your idea is massively flawed. Up until about 2 months ago I was working out 2x per day including over an hour of cardio.

At 31 I was the strongest I've ever been and in the best shape of my entire life.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL

Another GD fitness thread where #farmstrong and #bluecollarstrong somehow makes one miraculously more athletic and able to work than someone who has been weightlifting for decades.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I need knee replacements in both knees at 33. Your idea is massively flawed. Up until about 2 months ago I was working out 2x per day including over an hour of cardio.

At 31 I was the strongest I've ever been and in the best shape of my entire life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i HAVE ARTHRITIS IN EVERY JOINT i HAVE i AM BONE ON BONE IN BOTH KNEES  NO CARTRIDGE LEFT.

iF YOU WANT MY GEN X opinion all working out is stupid.  there is no reason to do any of it
unless you have some self concept problems and cannot sleep unless you abuse your body daily.

If you are destroying your joints at 33,  how do you consider that ''best shape?"

I think working out is fine, at 57 I do it and have lost a ton of weight with diet. I do have to watch my right shoulder because after 3 + decades of piping and wrenching in the utility biz has done some damage. I still have full range of motion but yeah, it twinges at the extremes and I don't want it getting worse.

However, destroying your body before you hit 40 seems to be carrying it to far because you still have 1/2 your life left and everything you do to your body damage wise WILL come back to haunt you later.

I just want to split the difference, feel better, be more healthy, stay in reasonable shape and still be able to move without feeling like someone is stabbing you in every joint when you move. As you age, splitting the difference is probably the best for longevity and a reasonably pain free life.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Musclebound

Never change, boomers
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#11]
We interrupt this thread for the Isla Fisher workout video.

Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As a boomer I strive to stay in peak physical condition. My goal is to draw social security benefits for 30-40 years.
View Quote
^ This.  Free weights for many years.  Cardio now too!   Gonna absolutely drain the SS system dry......of all your taxes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do 15 pull-ups and lift weight before I go to bed every night. All my pain is from jumping out of planes and running 10-15 miles a week for 2010  plus years.
View Quote
this is my case too but add  20 mile ruck marches ,getting blown up & humvee collisions to the list
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you are destroying your joints at 33,  how do you consider that ''best shape?"

I think working out is fine, at 57 I do it and have lost a ton of weight with diet. I do have to watch my right shoulder because after 3 + decades of piping and wrenching in the utility biz has done some damage. I still have full range of motion but yeah, it twinges at the extremes and I don't want it getting worse.

However, destroying your body before you hit 40 seems to be carrying it to far because you still have 1/2 your life left and everything you do to your body damage wise WILL come back to haunt you later.

I just want to split the difference, feel better, be more healthy, stay in reasonable shape and still be able to move without feeling like someone is stabbing you in every joint when you move. As you age, splitting the difference is probably the best for longevity and a reasonably pain free life.
View Quote
Best shape because I hadn't had an injury in awhile. I had two knee surgeries before my sophomore year of high school. Torn some stuff inside both knees over the years and dislocated a shoulder.

My training has changed in the past year because yes things are now in preservation and longevity mode. It's all fun to press 400lbs but unable to do 15 pullups.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Best shape because I hadn't had an injury in awhile. I had two knee surgeries before my sophomore year of high school. Torn some stuff inside both knees over the years and dislocated a shoulder.

My training has changed in the past year because yes things are now in preservation and longevity mode. It's all fun to press 400lbs but unable to do 15 pullups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, I'm pretty much the same way, if I can remain around where I am now for another 10 years or so, I'll be damn happy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I spend most of my time at work lifting and carrying ~40lbs boxes, and twice a week, having to unload on average 400 ~40lbs boxes from a semi truck.

Fuck yard work and jogging.
View Quote
One of the most ripped dudes I know drives a fedex truck. He tells me that he regularly gets asked if he does CrossFit.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One of the most ripped dudes I know drives a fedex truck. He tells me that he regularly gets asked if he does CrossFit.
View Quote
One thing that people like to ignore but is true nonetheless is that physical genetics are way more important than the specifics of how you train.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One thing that people like to ignore but is true nonetheless is that physical genetics are way more important than the specifics of how you train.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dudes 54.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Just because you lift weights means your in shape. I know several guys that do physical work for a living that lift and they are some of the weakest people I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just because you lift weights means your in shape. I know several guys that do physical work for a living that lift and they are some of the weakest people I have ever seen.
View Quote
Can I get a translation
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why do you need high reps with low weights?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the 80's I worked high rise construction and kickboxed (PKA).  I saw plenty of weight lifters who could not go one round boxing and could not do hard labor for more than 5 minutes before they were out of gas.  If all you are doing is power lifting for body building you might be a muscle bound pussy.  If your work-out does not include "a lot" of aerobic training and if your weight training does not include lots of high reps of low weights along with low reps of high weights than you might be a punk...

My twin sister is a hard-headed, know-it-all progressive, who did not listen to me when she was younger and now she has two hip replacements while I am still going strong.  Sure...  there are many dumb-assed young guys who grew up to be dumb-assed boomers but not all.  Many of the young guys complaining about boomers will grow up to be dumb-asses as well.
To look good.

Something powerlifters don’t understand.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I should have not stopped lifting for 25 years. I lift mainly for strength, 5s up to 65%-95% 1RM. Squat, bench, deadlift with some accessory work too, cardio on an assault bike.

Got back into it after dropping 99.5 pounds 2.5 years ago getting just under my basic training weight. Last year, experienced rotator injury from improperly doing yard work. The only thing that really saved my ass was the extra muscle mass that had been added to my shoulder over the year and a half prior of working out. Now I have my PT shoulder tiny dumbbell exercises I do every day and I'm back in the power rack. Though my bench is still down now 80 pounds prior to injury.

Plenty of people half my age are much worse than I after 3 or 4 flights of stairs. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I thought it was to look good, so you can bang more hot chicks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The point of working out is to become better at doing action things, not some mythical "health".
I thought it was to look good, so you can bang more hot chicks?
That's why I am.

That, and CW bigloo.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To look good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the 80's I worked high rise construction and kickboxed (PKA).  I saw plenty of weight lifters who could not go one round boxing and could not do hard labor for more than 5 minutes before they were out of gas.  If all you are doing is power lifting for body building you might be a muscle bound pussy.  If your work-out does not include "a lot" of aerobic training and if your weight training does not include lots of high reps of low weights along with low reps of high weights than you might be a punk...

My twin sister is a hard-headed, know-it-all progressive, who did not listen to me when she was younger and now she has two hip replacements while I am still going strong.  Sure...  there are many dumb-assed young guys who grew up to be dumb-assed boomers but not all.  Many of the young guys complaining about boomers will grow up to be dumb-asses as well.
To look good.

Honest question. Are you homosexual? Not judging, but only gays like the scrawny twink look you’ve got going on.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I find it somewhat ironic that this thread mocks the fitness of the Boomers, who made a variety of fitness methods popular in mainstream culture from the 1960s onwards
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I find it somewhat ironic that this thread mocks the fitness of the Boomers, who made a variety of fitness methods popular in mainstream culture from the 1960s onwards
View Quote
Don't forget all the diets they created as well! Or the food pyramid!
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jogging and cardiovascular exercise is a recent phenomenon, originating in the late 60s.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Jogging and cardiovascular exercise is a recent phenomenon, originating in the late 60s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's amazing how quickly boomers organized that into a worldwide competition every 4 years!
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's amazing how quickly boomers organized that into a worldwide competition every 4 years!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Marathon, named after Stanley Marathon, was first invented in 1968 when Stanley ran 26.2 miles so he could tell a group of millennials that they were ruining the napkin industry.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

For the most part they have no idea how to properly work out. Do shit like this all day long:

Then - i swear - they walk around and blow dry their balls in the locker room with one foot up on the counter.  Disgusting boomers.

View Quote
Which millenial invented CrossFit exercise is that?
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Benchpressing with a bar has ruined my left shoulder joint, so. . . .

Most of boomer "logic" is actually misinformation which was propagated by .gov, thanks to the boomers' parents.

Like nutrition-- the food pyramid, etc;

Like exercise-- lengthy low intensity cardio;

Etc.

Now lots of us are waking up to low carb, HIIT workouts, and weightlifting with less bars and more dumbbells.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Marathon, named after Stanley Marathon, was first invented in 1968 when Stanley ran 26.2 miles so he could tell a group of millennials that they were ruining the napkin industry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
legit lol'ed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Most of boomer "logic" is actually misinformation which was propagated by .gov, thanks to the boomers' parents.

Etc.

Now lots of us are waking up to low carb, HIIT workouts, and weightlifting with less bars and more dumbbells.
View Quote
Just like anything, using improper form for a long time will lead to problems.

I think the bench is more technical than the deadlift when it comes to form, seems like a lot of guys can push through less than strict form without noticing, if your deadlift set up is off you can both feel it and other people can notice it pretty easily.

Personally I just kind of gave up on it, I'm a shoulder dominate bencher, and I've never liked the way the exercise feels. I'll floor press from time to time though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shoot, Mateusz Kieliszkowski tore his bicep off his bone during competition and went on to win World's Ultimate Strongman last month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a boomer.
I quit lifting when I screwed up and ruptured and totally separated the upper bicep tendon from my shoulder (prior to that I lifted for for about 20 years).
I quit jogging when my knees finally gave out (prior to that I jogged for 40 years).
These days I hike and mountain bike - seems to work for me at 63.
Shoot, Mateusz Kieliszkowski tore his bicep off his bone during competition and went on to win World's Ultimate Strongman last month.
I don't have enough vowel/consonant mix in my name too pull that one off...
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Etc.

View Quote
The food pyramid didn’t make you fat. The lack of self control did.

Barbells didn’t hurt your shoulder. Lifting with poor form did.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
The training for that event is a lot more advanced than the ancient Greeks could ever imagine
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The inventor of the CrossFit brand is a Boomer lol
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Honest question. Are you homosexual? Not judging, but only gays like the scrawny twink look you’ve got going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To look good.

lol, no.

And even though I’m pretty scrawny right now, I’m working out so I won’t be anymore. But scrawny is relative. I hope to be around 175lbs at 5’11” and around 10%bf.

#hypertrophy
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

legit lol'ed.
View Quote
He's joking, but my comment was accurate. Sure some people focused on sports or other athletic stuff back in the day,  but I'm guessing that younger people just don't appreciate that your average American didn't focus on fitness before the 1960s when exercise went mainstream
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Etc.

View Quote
No, lifting with poor technique likely ruined your shoulder. Not using a bar.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
lol, no.

And even though I’m pretty scrawny right now, I’m working out so I won’t be anymore. But scrawny is relative. I hope to be around 175lbs at 5’11” and around 10%bf.

#hypertrophy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To look good.

lol, no.

#hypertrophy
Hol' up.

175 at 5'11" is AFTER the hypertrophy?

That's what happens when you skip leg day.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Site is awesome.
I learn SO MUCH here.
Especially the core subjects: Medicine, Economics, and time travel.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m 61 and most of you would fall out quick if you went elk hunting with me.  And get your young asses back to work and pump up my SS.  I haven’t paid into it since I retired years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I’m 61 and most of you would fall out quick if you went elk hunting with me.  And get your young asses back to work and pump up my SS.  I haven’t paid into it since I retired years ago.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/02815095-FA89-4D98-8419-52981B8094B4_jpeg-1163255.JPG
View Quote
Invite me up and I'll prove you wrong.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Man, someone needs to tell pro sports teams to get out of the weight room and onto the farm

Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/857/02815095-FA89-4D98-8419-52981B8094B4_jpeg-1163255.JPG
View Quote
LMAO no.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Everyone is taller than Ed Coan
View Quote
Ed is more gorilla than man
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:40:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
He's joking, but my comment was accurate. Sure some people focused on sports or other athletic stuff back in the day,  but I'm guessing that younger people just don't appreciate that your average American didn't focus on fitness before the 1960s when exercise went mainstream
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

legit lol'ed.
You mean when the baby boomers came of age, but the post WW2 economic miracle pushed us away from the agrarian society we had been, so they had to start exercising because life had become soft?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top