BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn't matter if your dog isn't hurting anything in his yard. It's his yard and if he doesn't want your dog in it you should keep it off his property.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dog owners who feel free to let their dogs run around in other people's yards, as if the world is their personal dog park, often don't seem to feel so free about walking into those yards to pick up their dogs shit.
View Quote

In my experience, said dog owners turn out to be pieces of shit who think they are the only ones in the universe... and run roughshod over other peoples property in other ways.  Turn it around... would you be okay with someone letting their dog take a shit on your lawn, dig up your flowerbeds, scratch holes in your lawn, and make a nuisance of themselves?  If not, don't be an asshole and let your dog run free.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Stuff happens and your neighbor knows this. You should respect your neighbor and and them you. Fence in your yard.  Do your best to get along with each other cause nothings worse then coming home and arguing with your neighbor.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I’m just genuinely curious why this would upset someone. I grew up in this same town and similar neighborhood where kids played together and dogs followed. Maybe I’m wrong for assuming most people are friendly.
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My only regret is posting in GD, ha. Tells you how long it's been.

I've broken no laws and not trespassed. The dog doesn't roam free, doesn't harass, and isn't a threat. If a few strides in the grass by the road pisses people off, you know what to do. If he dies running, he dies happy.

If boomer neighbor had asked without being a dick, it would be a lot easier to consider.
View Quote
Doubling down .oof!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Boomer is right- keep your dog out of other peoples yards.
View Quote

This.

I have four dogs.  They all love to run.  I run them and have a large fenced in area for them when I'm not running them.

I pay a shitload of taxes every year for our 10 acres the house is on, and more for the 80 acres of additional hunting land.  I don't give a flying fuck how nice your dog is, or how many predators run through my property pushing deer away, unless you want to split the bill, keep your predators off my land.

Also, my dogs aren't friendly.  They are standoffish to people and aggressive to animals not in their pack.  If I take them out for a run on public roads or through our property, or public property for that matter, they are leashed and I am carrying.  If problems arise because an unleashed animal comes in leash range, it's getting solved...rapidly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For a little background:
Our house (rural area) is connected to a neighborhood with fairly big lots, good bit of space between most houses, etc… It’s very quiet with a few young families and retirees mixed. We use the neighborhood roads to access our drive but we are excluded from HOA covenants.

Our dog is a smaller doodle mix and loves to run, so we take afternoon rides a few times a week on the golf cart so he can run beside us and get some exercise in. We ride in the woods next to the house and in the neighborhood, he runs the roads, will cut across a yard here and there, etc….. He’s very friendly, fluffy, not a threat to anything other than maybe a slow squirrel. Doesn’t even chase our cats or chickens.

The other day i heard someone yell so I stopped and turned to see a older man marching down his driveway with his pointer finger at full draw, sternly telling me I need to put him on a leash, that his dogs were in a fence, and so we’re his neighbors. I asked if he had caused a problem for him and he cut me off with “I’ve seen him run through my yard”. Yes, he has cut through his yard a few times, which is on a curve in the road, so he cuts across the front.

Our county has no leash law.

What to do? Am I in the wrong assuming it’s ok for him to run off a leash? When dogs come into our property they usually get a pet on the head and a bone.
View Quote

I don’t know?
All I can come up with is respect other person’s property.

When someone goes through a long description about something that doesn’t matter to the question [I have a cute harmless dog and it needs a little exercise] then I know that someone is doing something that they know is not right and are looking for validation.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’m just genuinely curious why this would upset someone. I grew up in this same town and similar neighborhood where kids played together and dogs followed. Maybe I’m wrong for assuming most people are friendly.
View Quote

The yard owner might be friendly.
Doesn’t mean he wants dogs in his yard.
He did the polite thing by letting you know face to face instead of something else.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah I gotta go with OP is the asshole here. What if someone is walking their bigger dog on a leash and your dog runs up to it and gets attacked?
View Quote

I've seen the results of this type of scenario.
City has a Leash Law.
People "walking" their small dog without a leash and it runs on to property where a Rottweiler is tied up.
The small dog ended up losing a leg and they wanted the Rottweiler's owner to pay the Vet bill.
Big nope.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Why should he have to ask you to keep your property off of his?  You should be the one asking if it's ok if your dog is on his land.  Keep your shit in check and to yourself.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

City has a Leash Law.
People "walking" their small dog without a leash and it runs ion to property where a Rottweiler is tied up.
The small dog ended up losing a leg and they wanted the Rottweiler's owner to pay the Vet bill.
Big nope.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I gotta go with OP is the asshole here. What if someone is walking their bigger dog on a leash and your dog runs up to it and gets attacked?

City has a Leash Law.
People "walking" their small dog without a leash and it runs ion to property where a Rottweiler is tied up.
Big nope.

This is a big change from the way I grew up. Off leash dogs were perfectly normal in my neighborhood and people would give them treats.

Nobody owned German Shepherds, Dobermans, Rottweilers or Pitbulls as pets. Those were all considered guard dogs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't matter what the dog wants to do or if it even does no damage. Keep your pets under control.
OP is the bigger dick here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is the neighbor being a dick?   Absolutely.

Could he have handled it more tactfully, by approaching you in a calm and respectful manner?   Absolutely.

Does every dog owner preface by saying "Fluffy wouldn't hurt anything, other than a slow squirrel / fly / etc"?   Yes, and it's a tiresome diversion.

Should you be in control of your animal at all times, and respect other peoples' property rights?   Absolutely.

You may be naive, and your Boomer neighbor an asshole; but at the end of the day you should control your animal, whether it be an 80lb "bully mix" or a 20lb yapper.   Unfortunately, this is what happens when you have neighbors.  

View Quote

This right here
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, you need to do what you want to do. Forget those other people and their private property. The dog's happiness is what's important! Right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]
OP should request a lock and let this slide into the archives.

He's embarrassingly in the wrong here.  

I feel sorry for him.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Keep your dog out of other peoples yards.
View Quote
+1

My town has a code on the books. Oh, and clean up after your dog too. That is a requirement to do that but amazing how many people do not bother when it is late at night or early in the morning and they think no one is watching so they leave a mound on a neighbors lawn. Plenty of cameras around these days that can see in the dark.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Four pages and not one single pic of pup? You had one job OP.

My local my local boomer HOA Nazi drives a golf cart. He often violates the association covenants, local, and state laws while driving it. Sometimes I want tell him that. I also want to tell him he would be happier if he got more exercise. His diabetes and hemorrhoids wouldn't make him so grumpy.

I then I decide to MYOB and drink my coffee.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Would OP like it if boomer neighbor came over and took just two step into his house? What if he sat in your car for just a couple minutes?

It's his property, if he doesn't want you on it you should stay off of it.

I don't want any dogs in my yard, I don't care how nice their owners think they are. If I wanted a dog in my yard then I would get one.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't doubt another dog has come over and shit in his yard.  He doesn't know if it's yours.  Keep your dog off his property.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Keep your dog out of other peoples yards.
View Quote

Its this simple
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not going as OP hoped.

Yeah but I don't trust other people's dogs around my kids. I don't care how much you tell me your little doodle is harmless and a big baby and wouldn't hurt anyone for any reason- I don't trust it or you to be impartial about it. Even among friendly neighbors you're being the unreasonable one here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My only regret is posting in GD, ha. Tells you how long it’s been.

I’ve broken no laws and not trespassed. The dog doesn’t roam free, doesn’t harass, and isn’t a threat. If a few strides in the grass by the road pisses people off, you know what to do. If he dies running, he dies happy.

If boomer neighbor had asked without being a dick, it would be a lot easier to consider.
View Quote

And this is why the shit you’re seeing is happening.  No respect for anyone else.  People nowadays think if it doesn’t bother them then it shouldn’t bother anyone else.  It’s infuriating, the ability of people to rationalize to themselves their selfishnesses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I've never understood why some people get so bent out of shape because an animal ran across their property.  Dogs will be dogs and if they take a shit hit it with the lawnmower when it's time to cut the grass. Some people are so hateful. There's really no hope for them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've never understood why some people get so bent out of shape because an animal ran across their property.  Dogs will be dogs and if they take a shit hit it with the lawnmower when it's time to cut the grass. Some people are so hateful. There's really no hope for them.
View Quote

It's not the act of the dog running across the grass that's the issue...it's the blatant disrespect of the OP to his neighbor.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hateful? Shirley you can't be serious?

How about respecting other peoples property? WTF is so hard about that?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't understand what happened in their life, either. I know that, for my life, it is far better to just retrieve the dog, say "Sorry" and move on with my life, never thinking about it again. How about you?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't understand what happened in their life, either. I know that, for my life, it is far better to just retrieve the dog, say "Sorry" and move on with my life, never thinking about it again., and not owrry about my dog traipsing across somebody's yard who doesn't appreciate it. How about you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand what happened in their life, either. I know that, for my life, it is far better to just retrieve the dog, say "Sorry" and move on with my life, never thinking about it again., and not owrry about my dog traipsing across somebody's yard who doesn't appreciate it. How about you?

FIXT
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Nobody likes your dog OP, most of your neighbors actually dislike your dog. Your neighbor has had enough of dogs. It probably isn't specific to your dog.

I don't blame him. I used to be a dog lover, dog owners have gradually turned me against them. At best other people's dogs are just ok if they stay in their yard and don't bark all day.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Apparently you don't believe in private property rights and like to trespass on other peoples property. Keep your unleashed dog off other people property. If your dog gets shot, don't come back here crying about it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My only regret is posting in GD, ha. Tells you how long it’s been.

I’ve broken no laws and not trespassed. The dog doesn’t roam free, doesn’t harass, and isn’t a threat. If a few strides in the grass by the road pisses people off, you know what to do. If he dies running, he dies happy.

View Quote

The manner in which your 'neighbor' addresses the situation is irrelevant and sorry that your feelings are hurt by someone talking 'harshly' to you.
Is it a trespass?  Your four-legged property walked on another person's property without permission.
Is it an egregious trespass, nah.
But your dog should not be on his property if he objects to it.
Your dog is roaming free [un-leashed], doesn't harass [irrelevant], isn't a threat [irrelevant].

Stray dogs are subject to being shot in most rural neighborhoods.
Your neighborhood sounds suburban, so shooting a dog is probably not something that will be looked upon favorably.

Be a good pet owner and neighbor, keep your dog on public ways and under your control however you have to do it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you know how hard it is to get 87% of GD to agree on something?
ARFCOM has spoken.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is there a fat kid with a tuba?
View Quote

Full-on fez wearin' Shriners blasting some Sousa tunes while the Precision Driving TeamTM does donuts on yer lawn.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP should request a lock and let this slide into the archives.

He's embarrassingly in the wrong here.  

I feel sorry for him.
View Quote

I don’t feel sorry for him.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Understand me when I say that I am a dog person, have been my whole life but I would not allow one to run on other people's property.
Used to take them to a vacant field and let them run, but as soon as I saw another person or dog the leash went back on.
My GSD puppy was on leash when two off leash Dalmatians attacked him, my wife was walking him at the time and she was very upset, luckily no real damage although Ranger was gun shy the rest of his life.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top